Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I think Maiava would've been "Maiava-lous". :D

He's been steady. Did you see him get in on that sack tonight?
Maiava is the truth. I was real happy to see that. I wish he was starting though.

Part of me is upset with him being in a 3-4. He's much more of a 4-3 backer. But regardless, I'm just happy to see him make plays.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:12 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Earl thomas and Major Wright come out, where do they land? IMO Earl Thomas is mid-late 2nd because of his size. Wright i dont know much about, but i feel like he hasn't shown enough in coverage, he goes for big hits too much, and is pretty bad in man on man. I'd rate major wright as round 3, because although he has those negatives, he makes impact plays.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it's official, I want to trade up for Anthony Davis and make him and Beatty our future stud bookends. Diehl and Snee at OG. I LOVE Seubert, but I think he's lost it. He's a tough, nasty SOB but he's lost his magic. Draft Tennant to replace O'Hara in the future. Win.

KP and a 2nd round safety also equals win. Or a FA safety.
DT is eh, I think we can find a diamond in the rough later in the draft
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
it's official, I want to trade up for Anthony Davis and make him and Beatty our future stud bookends. Diehl and Snee at OG. I LOVE Seubert, but I think he's lost it. He's a tough, nasty SOB but he's lost his magic. Draft Tennant to replace O'Hara in the future. Win.

KP and a 2nd round safety also equals win. Or a FA safety.
DT is eh, I think we can find a diamond in the rough later in the draft
Trade up for Davis? I don't think so. We already have our LT of the future in Beatty and trading UP in the draft for a right tackle would be pretty dumb.

Not to mention we have way more pressing needs than a right tackle. Re-sign Whimper cheaply and he would do a more than an adequate job. Or I suppose you could always move Diehl to RT if needed.

Defense is the name of the game. For as bad as the offensive line has been at times it's still doing an adequate job. If we have to become more of a passing team with Eli and our young receivers since we can't run block I'm alright with that. Jacobs and Bradshaw should still be able to do a solid job.

DT, MLB (depending how Goff does), Safety, Center are all far more pressing needs than Anthony Davis, no offense Scotty.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Anthony Davis but Forenci is right. No need for him on the team. We'll have to wait for Sanu to finally get a new Rutgers player.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I love Anthony Davis but Forenci is right. No need for him on the team. We'll have to wait for Sanu to finally get a new Rutgers player.
I'm down for Sanu whenever he comes out. I love him. He really looked impressive to me, especially for a true freshman.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FINE!
McCourty as our nickel/4th CB?
R-Blaz as our future center? our current undrafted RU center has done pretty damn well, eh? ;)
George Johnson late for funzies would be sweet too
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
FINE!
McCourty as our nickel/4th CB?
R-Blaz as our future center? our current undrafted RU center has done pretty damn well, eh? ;)
George Johnson late for funzies would be sweet too
I like McCourty too actually. Wouldn't be opposed to him if it was late in the draft. Right now corner is the least of our worries. Dockery is okay, Johnson is still young and has a chance to be good, and we all know Thomas and Webster are pretty damn good in their own right. That's not even including Ross who if we got a solid safety and KP is healthy he would be one of the best nickel CB's around.

Also as much as it pains me to say this I think Feagles is finally done. He's just too inconsistent with his punts. Might finally be the time to draft a new punter late in the draft. I'm not really familiar with who's a good punter and obviously it's not really a huge need but I've never been opposed to drafting one late if they can help with field position. It'd be nice if we could find a punter who could do kick offs too. Tynes is just awful at it.

Last edited by Forenci : 12-15-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Forenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now that we don't have good field position Feagles can't punt for length. When we need that long punt he can't give it to us.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-15-2009, 10:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We can probably just nab a punter as an UDFA. nobody drafts a punter if i remember correctly.

We shouldve nabbed Gano when we had the chance as a kicker. I heard he's been doing well for the Skins.

Right now I'm thinking DT and C. Safety is also a big need. I'm hoping we can address safety in FA though. There are some good FA safeties available, and considering the need for a high end DT and C, I rather spend our 1st 2 rounds on those needs opposed to using one of our early picks on a safety.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:52 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
We can probably just nab a punter as an UDFA. nobody drafts a punter if i remember correctly.

We shouldve nabbed Gano when we had the chance as a kicker. I heard he's been doing well for the Skins.

Right now I'm thinking DT and C. Safety is also a big need. I'm hoping we can address safety in FA though. There are some good FA safeties available, and considering the need for a high end DT and C, I rather spend our 1st 2 rounds on those needs opposed to using one of our early picks on a safety.
You'd be surprised how many teams have drafted kickers/punters and even long snappers late in the draft. If it means we can bring in a guy who gives us great field position and help out the defense I'm all for getting a punter in the 6th/7th round. Same goes for a kicker. Getting a guy who doesn't make our defense constantly start out on the other teams own 30-40 would really help the defense out.

I agree with you about our needs though, and the order in which they should be addressed. A lot of it will based on who falls to us though. If for example Mays fell to us I could see us going that route, but if not I certainly see DT as option. I don't expect us to get a big run stuffer like everyone is thinking though.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

A lot of the draft stuff might also be based on whether or not we keep Sheridan. If we bring in someone new we might be going in a different direction.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

thoughts on going to a 3-4? The packers did it and it's working wonders for them. Think:

Tuck-drafted NT-Canty
Osi-Goff-Boley-Kiwi

I think it could work, not gonna lie.
Quote:
Old 12-15-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

We all know how I feel about the 3-4 :)

I think though if we went 3-4, we'd have to use Wade Phillip's 1 gap variation. We can't use a traditional 2 gap 3-4 bc Tuck is out of place in that scheme.

Maybe a ZB style 3-4 could work too.

The easiest fix is just grabbing someone out of Philly again to run the ZB 46. Our team is built to run Philly's scheme.

I love me some John Fox, but I don't really remember much about his schemes as a DC.

Dick Jauron scares me a little.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
thoughts on going to a 3-4? The packers did it and it's working wonders for them. Think:

Tuck-drafted NT-Canty
Osi-Goff-Boley-Kiwi

I think it could work, not gonna lie.
I don't. We'd be relying on presumably a rookie nose tackle and forcing many of our great players to adjust to roles they've never even tried. We're a 4-3 team and there isn't much a doubt about it to me. As bad as a defense as we're playing now we are just one year removed from having a great defensive season, and having an amazing one in 2007. Doesn't make any sense to try and force guys into new roles.

I'm not opposed to trying a hybrid defense though, if you could find the guy to do it. We could use some 3-4 looks and I recall Spags using a 3-4 look a few times for us when he was here, although not to a great extent.

If this defense was devoid of talent I'd be for a switch but we still have a lot of good players, many who are/were injured plus we've clearly got a dumbass for a defensive coordinator.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

The great thing about running our D out of a 3-4 front is how the 3-4 is just much better at masking blitzes.

You guys see the Jets im sure. You see how Rex Ryan draws up and masks his blitzes? Its much easier to do so in a 3-4. Sure, guys would have to learn new roles, but they would also benefit from coming clean a couple of times to smack the qb.

The only concern of mine would be Tuck. Tuck is not a 3-4 OLB. He'd have to be a 3-4 End, and he's not big enough to be a 3-4 End. He can be one in Wade Phillip's 1 gap scheme though.

Osi and Kiwi would thrive standing up. You can argue that they'd actually be better in that role than as DEs.

And Sintim would thrive too.

And if youre going to make the switch, this is the year to do it. Wilfork and Hampton are FAs, and Dan Williams and Terrance Cody are available in the draft.

I'm not saying we should go 3-4, but I don't think it would be an entirely bad idea. Depends. Would you rather have a crappy 4-3 DC or a good 3-4 one?

Ideally we want a great 4-3 DC, but theres no guarantee that any are available to us.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

exactly. I mean, my ideal situation is Fox gets fired and comes back here as our DC. I'd go INSANE. I LOVE him.
But if not, I'm just saying a 3-4 could be in the cards.
Quote:
Old 12-15-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Do any of you guys remember what style of D Fox ran?

I honestly don't remember. I asked in the Carolina Team Forum to get a better gauge of whether he fits our personnel or not.

I love Fox. But if he runs a lot of Cover 2 and doesn't blitz much, I don't know if thats what we want.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

But again, you're still assuming those guys will all thrive in the 3-4, when there is really no guarantee of that. I honestly have no idea if Osi will be able to stand up. I'd be willing to bet Kiwi could as he's played LB in the 4-3, but it's still no guarantee. Plus like you mentioned, it will make Tuck far less useful, even if it is a 1 gap scheme.

What happens to all of the other players you didn't mention? Who knows if Boley can play inside? Who knows if Goff can? What about Jay Alford, can he even play a 3-4 DE? No clue. Rocky Bernard becomes even more useless than he already is.

There are just too many question marks to risk switching to a 3-4, especially when Eli is just entering his prime and the offense is very good, and young.

All it takes is one bad transition to the 3-4 and it could screw up our defense for years.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't like the fact that transitioning to 3-4 would make us have to draft Cody basically and he has knee issues which will definitely be worsened by playing at an NFL level, and we'd really only have him at NT.

if we go to a 3-4 we'll need to draft accordingly, meaning we'll need another ILB, a NT, we still need safeties, and probably a DE. Then we'd have to land a veteran NT which would all but show that we wasted money on bernard and somewhat canty.

1. Cody
1. (next year's 1st and 4th) Branden Spikes
2. Corey Wooten
3. Darrell Stuckey
4. Sergio Render
5. Myron Rolle

Offensive line still needs help, but i wouldnt be opposed if we got this,
wouldn't mind that really, Cody would definitely need a veteran to rotate with, Spikes would be a pretty nasty ILB, Wooten is a beast and would be pretty ideal and essential for our transistion. Stuckey isn't a beast but he has decent potential from what i've heard, Render used to be highly regarded, and helping two freshmen to rushing records in consecutive years means that he is a pretty decent run blocker, Rolle is smart, may be slow, but is pretty decent in run support.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:10 PM    (permalink
eagles6606
Rookie

eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eagles6606 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clint Sintim would be a beast 3-4 OLB! Favorite player in the draft last year.
eagles6606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:15 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

With Osi looking the way he has since his injury, and with Kiwi just lacking that finishing touch to his rushes, and with Tuck showing that he could be injury prone, would it shock anyone to see us go after a pass rusher early?

I could see us getting Greg Hardy if he falls for the right price. Maybe in the 2nd round.

Wouldn't shock me at all.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Scott's latest mock has us taking Dan Williams. Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind it at all. We can go in a number of directions in this draft, but landing a DT like Williams sounds good to me.

I think we need a DT like Williams. We've been missing that kind of DT presence since Keith Hamilton. Its been a long time since we had a stoute run stuffing NT who can grab double teams.

And considering how we're already thin at DT, and could get thinner in the offseason, this might be the pick. We all know Reese goes after the BPA in our biggest need in round 1. He's done it 3 years in a row now.

With Robbins possibly not coming back, Coffield possibly not coming back, Bernard most likely getting cut, and Alford coming off an ACL, DT could easily be our biggest need this offseason.

Vince Oghabasse is a guy i'm warming up to as well. But I prefer Dan Williams at the moment.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:30 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
The only concern of mine would be Tuck. Tuck is not a 3-4 OLB. He'd have to be a 3-4 End, and he's not big enough to be a 3-4 End. He can be one in Wade Phillip's 1 gap scheme though.
I know he would be literally perfect for Wade's scheme but I always felt he would be a beast of a 3-4 End in andyone's scheme for some reason. He may not have the size and bulk, but if you had a huge NT in the middle I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter. I would love to see a 3-4 ran with a huge NT like Kris Jenkins in the middle and two DE's like Ratliff and Tuck on each side, I wouldn't care which scheme it was.

Parcells was really high on Tuck also if I'm not mistaken that year so he would of likely been in his scheme at that position also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I know he would be literally perfect for Wade's scheme but I always felt he would be a beast of a 3-4 End in andyone's scheme for some reason. He may not have the size and bulk, but if you had a huge NT in the middle I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter. I would love to see a 3-4 ran with a huge NT like Kris Jenkins in the middle and two DE's like Ratliff and Tuck on each side, I wouldn't care which scheme it was.

Parcells was really high on Tuck also if I'm not mistaken that year so he would of likely been in his scheme at that position also.
Wow, I didn't know that. Parcells would probably get him to bulk up to about 295ish. He's around 270 now.

Ratliff and Tuck on the same dline in any scheme would be beastly. 4-3 line, 3-4 line, doesn't matter. That would be ridiculous.

Imagine lining up those 2 on the same side of the dline and stunting them? Who do you block?

Im actually surprised Dallas doesn't do that with Ware and Ratliff in 4 man nickel fronts now that I think of it.