Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:28 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Howard Mudd to retire

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...-hes-retiring/

Former player and current offensive line coach of the Colts has decided to call it quits after the owners opted out of the pension plan for personnel. There's also a chance that offensive coordinator Tom Moore follows suit.

I'd have to believe that this, and even more so if Moore goes to, will be a blow to the Colts. Their line hasn't exactly been great lately and they've still got a lot of young guys they're trying to work in, and this will only hamper that further.

Probably not easy to replace a position coach at this time of the year either.....even less so a coordinator potentially.

It also raises the issue for other teams with aging coaches and assistants as to whether or not they should retire now and try and collect more benefits since the league run pension plan was opted out of by the owners in March.

.....I hope all of that made sense, I'm quite tired atm.... :/

Last edited by BeerBaron : 05-05-2009 at 10:33 PM.
BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. This is NOT good news for the Colts. Mudd has been able to seemingly have a seemless transition of players on that offensive line. And if Tom Moore goes then that will further hamper the Colts.

Definitely the beginning of the end of the Colts run.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:32 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Wow. This is NOT good news for the Colts. Mudd has been able to seemingly have a seemless transition of players on that offensive line. And if Tom Moore goes then that will further hamper the Colts.

I didn't want to come out and say that because I knew there'd be some Colts' fans zealously defending the team but I totally agree with that statement.

Sort of like when the Dolphins had Marino.....the Colts are always going to be dangerous with Peyton no matter what they have surrounding him. But he has been blessed for most of his career with great weapons and an o-line coach who can turn any schmuck into a decent starter. It'll be interesting to see how he does as these pieces start to fall away....
Old 05-05-2009, 10:38 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is a great offensive line coach. May he enjoy his retirement, if it does begin now.

It's not the end of the world for the Colts, although you can be damn sure the media and people will make it out to be. Which makes me laugh.

Especially as I'm looking forward to Tom Moore retiring. Not now however, it's too late into the new season. Mudd is different, Metzelaars had been with the Colts for 5 years before becoming the official Assistant OL coach last year (Mudd was incapacitated thanks to a knee injury).

The only question is if Caldwell will hire the right successor, but he's done a great job thus far in doing what Tony Dungy could not.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I didn't want to come out and say that because I knew there'd be some Colts' fans zealously defending the team but I totally agree with that statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
It's not the end of the world for the Colts, although you can be damn sure the media and people will make it out to be. Which makes me laugh.
Called it! ;)

Perhaps not the end of the world, but I doubt anyone would have argued that the team is better off without Mudd, am I wrong?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:43 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Called it! ;)
That didn't take long.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You called ****. I didn't zealously defend anything because I'm used to outsiders not having a damn clue about the Colts.

The most important person to the Colts' offensive line is Peyton Manning.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bring Mudd to Green Bay!!!! we need him to coach that line.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's worth noting that this is more of a financial/pension issue then a "I'm tired of coaching" move.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4143964

That said I imagine that Polian is on the case, and can resolve the pension confusion, or offer him a new contract to make it harder to leave.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:47 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by falloutboy14 View Post
It's worth noting that this is more of a financial/pension issue then a "I'm tired of coaching" move.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4143964

That said I imagine that Polian is on the case, and can resolve the pension confusion, or offer him a new contract to make it harder to leave.
Well, from the first article, it says that both Moore and Mudd wanted to leave with Dungy but Polian talked them out of it.

I imagine if Mudd is leaving now, it's because the Colts failed to live up to something they promised him by asking him to stay back then.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
I imagine if Mudd is leaving now, it's because the Colts failed to live up to something they promised him by asking him to stay back then.
What you imagine, perfectly stated.

This is the result, from the most recent owners' meetings, of the revised pension plan for non-players.

Just like it says in the ESPN article, if you had actually read it.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:58 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
What you imagine, perfectly stated.

This is the result, from the most recent owners' meetings, of the revised pension plan for non-players.

Just like it says in the ESPN article, if you had actually read it.
It says that in the first article too....and I talked about it in my first post. I know thats the reasoning, I was just adding on to what the other guy said that I most recently quoted.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:09 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You called ****. I didn't zealously defend anything because I'm used to outsiders not having a damn clue about the Colts.

The most important person to the Colts' offensive line is Peyton Manning.
From reading your posts in this thread I find that you are exactly what he stated.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:13 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I can't see how on Earth that's evident, from my posts.

Unless you somehow confuse zealous defending with me being pissed off that my simply stated response was followed by a "Called it!" false accusation of zealous defending.

Considering it's you, that just might be possible.

Last edited by Geo : 05-06-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:21 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

I think you might be confusing zealous with like.....idiotic or something bad. It's really not. It's just that typically whenever something gets posted about a team that could be bad news, the fans come out rather quick and dismiss why it's not bad.

Good example for you to try out: Go post something in the NFC North section about how Jay Cutler is better than Aaron Rodgers and see how long it takes you until your swarmed by the seemingly limitless number of Packers fans about how wrong you are and the umpteen (still can't believe that's recognized as an actual word) million reasons why.

Like, if for some reason Urlacher suddenly retired and someone posted a thread about it an in that thread, were saying things like "oh man, the Bears defense is gonna suck now" or something, I'd be right there with my umpteen (love it) million reasons why that's incorrect. "Lance Briggs has been better than him lately anyway.....Jamar Williams is a really good young backup who the staff loves and he would fill in....Nick Roach got some starting experience last year at SAM and looked good.....we just drafted Marcus Freeman.....etc etc etc" you get the point. Zealously defended.

And you post after I "called it" was pretty much the type of zealousness I expected. You covered the basic points of a "zealous" fan response. You got the "this isn't as bad as it seems" in there, got your reasons why, got your "how we'll replace him" part........seems like a textbook case of zealousness.

And zealous, like I pointed out, isn't bad. I was just expecting it and....there it came.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:30 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Good example for you to try out: Go post something in the NFC North section about how Jay Cutler is better than Aaron Rodgers and see how long it takes you until your swarmed by the seemingly limitless number of Packers fans about how wrong you are and the umpteen (still can't believe that's recognized as an actual word) million reasons why.

That's common knowledge.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.

Last edited by TitleTown088 : 05-06-2009 at 12:33 AM.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Losing Mudd would be more of a loss than Moore, in my opinion. Peyton will still have that offense performing.

Mudd was one of the best OL coaches in the NFL, so his loss is significant. I got the impression that offensive linemen were expendable because of Mudd and his ability to plug in young OL and make them successful. It will be interesting to see if their OL in the future.

I still ain't doubtin' Peyton though...

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:15 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's childish and weak for you to try to set up anyone who disagrees with you as a zealot.

Mudd is a good OL coach but he is not some sort of secret key to the Colts' success. Our OL hasn't been dominant since '06 but the Colts have won at least 12 games the last two years. And short yardage situations have been a problem for our offense for years.

I'm not saying we are somehow better off, but statements like "this is the beginning of the Colts' demise" sound more like wishful thinking to me.

If anything, people should look for a down year from the Colts because Dungy is gone, we have a new D coordinator, new STs coordinator, Marvin Harrison is gone and will likely retire, etc etc. Add Howard Mudd to the list if you want, but his retirement alone is hardly going to be the undoing of the Colts' success.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think you might be confusing zealous with like.....idiotic or something bad. It's really not. It's just that typically whenever something gets posted about a team that could be bad news, the fans come out rather quick and dismiss why it's not bad.

Like, if for some reason Urlacher suddenly retired and someone posted a thread about it an in that thread, were saying things like "oh man, the Bears defense is gonna suck now" or something, I'd be right there with my umpteen (love it) million reasons why that's incorrect. "Lance Briggs has been better than him lately anyway.....Jamar Williams is a really good young backup who the staff loves and he would fill in....Nick Roach got some starting experience last year at SAM and looked good.....we just drafted Marcus Freeman.....etc etc etc" you get the point. Zealously defended.

And you post after I "called it" was pretty much the type of zealousness I expected. You covered the basic points of a "zealous" fan response. You got the "this isn't as bad as it seems" in there, got your reasons why, got your "how we'll replace him" part........seems like a textbook case of zealousness.

And zealous, like I pointed out, isn't bad. I was just expecting it and....there it came.
It's hard to dictate what is zealous and what is not zealous through text. It's not like he slammed his caps lock button and started typing so furiously that every other word was a typo. "WEXZ WUNT MISZZ DAT OLYNE COAUCH CUZ PAY-TON MAYNOISE IS THE BESSTEST QBBZ EVAH!"

He simply stated his opinions. Neither you or I know how much intensity or eagerness he had when typing said opinions.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 02:01 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
It's childish and weak for you to try to set up anyone who disagrees with you as a zealot.
Like I said in a later post though, zeal isn't a bad thing. And yes, to the guy above me, it's hard to determine something like that from text.....
Old 05-06-2009, 02:12 PM    (permalink
tylerb929
Rookie

tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.

He'll be missed, but the Colts aren't going to fall flat on their faces because of this.

Every year someone says its the beginning of the end for the colts, and every year they go out and get 12 wins. Sooner or later your bound to be right, but I've been hearing it for the last 3 years how they're going to do poor the next year. I'm sure when they finally fall, everyone will be there saying "I told you so".

Its hard to imagine the O-line being any worse than last season. Three rookies saw significant time in the middle.
tylerb929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Aaron Rodgers>Jay Cutler. :)
Old 05-06-2009, 03:28 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Howard Mudd was obviously a very good line coach in turning low rounders into serviceable lineman, but last year our line was quite poor, in spite of having two 2nd rounders in Pollak and Ugoh (really a first rounder when you think we traded a first to get him) as well as Jeff Saturday. We'll miss him, but I hope that we can get a new coach in who can give us some pop in the run game. Enjoy retirement Howard.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:01 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Like I said in a later post though, zeal isn't a bad thing. And yes, to the guy above me, it's hard to determine something like that from text.....
When I think of a zealot I think of a freak with a bomb strapped to his chest screaming at the world. I don't think most people think zealotry is a good thing. And the way you phrased it made it seem like you didn't want to have to deal with the "passionate" Colts fans who would disagree with you.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly, unless they come up with a great replacement, losing Mudd might be worse then losing Dungy. He's been the best offensive line coach in the NFL for 10 years.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote