Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-08-2007, 11:06 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Reggie Nelson's 4.35 40 Pro Day

I wrote this in the NFL draft forum thread and I wanted to discuss it with you guys as well on our personal board. He ran 4.35 on wet grass at his Pro Day. Now usually you don't believe Pro Day workouts, but this was on wet grass, which is a slower surface than Indy, and this reassures what the gamefilm already told us: Reggie Nelson is faster than Laron Landry

"This thread is a perfect example of why the combine is massively overrated.

When everyone saw him PLAY, it was held that he's very close to Landry in skill, some actually preferred him over Landry. In fact, anyone who saw both of them PLAY, will recall that Nelson plays faster than Landry with pads on.

Then comes the combine. Landry runs a 4.35, Nelson a 4.48, and OMG!!!lolz, he's so overrated! Give me a break. The 40 time is so overrated. Some guys run it with great form, others don't. Nelson didn't have great form. His 40 suffered because of it. Anyone who sees the film knows that he's faster than Landry.

And now Im sure he worked on his form, and ran a quicker 40 on wet grass. Just reassures what I knew already...that he's faster than Landry. Landry is still the better overall prospect and is more well rounded, but he is NOT faster than Nelson. Watch the film. It never lies.

Last time I checked, no NFL players lines up on the field with their ass in the air and one hand one the floor with the other up in the air. 40 times are stupid. Watch the film. Reggie Nelson is a baller, and he's gonna prove everyone wrong in the NFL.

PLEASE GMEN, TAKE HIM WITH OUR PICK!!"

Any thoughts on Reggie Nelson now after his Pro Day? Will he be unavailable to us because of his increased stock? This all but reassures me that I absolutely want him on the Giants. He's gonna prove all the haters wrong.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 03-08-2007 at 11:08 AM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone runs faster at their pro days. Thats just the way it is. However I don't really care what Nelson ran anyway.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:17 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

he ran it on wet grass which is insane. if hes on the board i say we take the guy. i smell ed reed deuce.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:20 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Everyone runs faster at their pro days. Thats just the way it is. However I don't really care what Nelson ran anyway.
Ive always felt that he plays faster than Landry, even after the combine. I think he's a better ballhawk as well. Not as well rounded, but he also has less play time against legit competition, so Im assuming he'll develop that part of his game.

Id love to have either, and if Nelson is available, Im more convinced than ever that we should grab him. During the season, I felt he was better than Landry, but I changed my mind after the Bowl games and watching Landry's versatility. He still has potential to be a better player than Landry though.

I think with all the talk of Griffin, Merriweather etc, I hope he falls to us. I think he can really make an impact on our defense. Maybe Im getting all excited for nothing, but whatever. This is the most interesting news that came out that pertains to us the last 2 weeks.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:23 AM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Ive always felt that he plays faster than Landry, even after the combine. I think he's a better ballhawk as well. Not as well rounded, but he also has less play time against legit competition, so Im assuming he'll develop that part of his game.

Id love to have either, and if Nelson is available, Im more convinced than ever that we should grab him. During the season, I felt he was better than Landry, but I changed my mind after the Bowl games and watching Landry's versatility. He still has potential to be a better player than Landry though.

I think with all the talk of Griffin, Merriweather etc, I hope he falls to us. I think he can really make an impact on our defense. Maybe Im getting all excited for nothing, but whatever. This is the most interesting news that came out that pertains to us the last 2 weeks.
im with you. i wannt this dood. hes going to be the next ed reed. god i hope we get this kid after watching the highlight tapes of his instincts. then to hear he ran a 4.35 on wet grass im sold on this guy- hes a monster.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Landry is still far and away a better prospect than Nelson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:38 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Landry is still far and away a better prospect than Nelson.
I don't think the gap is as big as it was once believed. I think Nelson is a close 2nd. Of course Landry is still the better of the 2, but I don't think he's leaps and bounds better.

Of course to be fair, I felt (and still feel) that Bobby Carpenter could/would be just as good of an NFL player as AJ Hawk. So I guess you have to take my player evaluation with a grain of salt.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 03-08-2007 at 01:46 PM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

i bet nelson has a better pro career.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

I still get weary of Nelson being so frail....Landry has a Brian Dawkins build and style of play right now, imagine what he will be in 3-4 years.

Hey I like Nelson, don't get me wrong. He is #1 on my big board out of guys that I think willl realistically drop to 20 with Poz being a close 2nd. But I have thought for over a year now that Lnadry is going to be one of the best safeties in the league for a long time.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-08-2007, 02:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I still get weary of Nelson being so frail....Landry has a Brian Dawkins build and style of play right now, imagine what he will be in 3-4 years.

Hey I like Nelson, don't get me wrong. He is #1 on my big board out of guys that I think willl realistically drop to 20 with Poz being a close 2nd. But I have thought for over a year now that Lnadry is going to be one of the best safeties in the league for a long time.
I can agree with that. The questions about Nelson's size, remember, he's the same size as Reed. And that worked out just fine. Im very weary of comparing him to Ed Reed though. Thats a very bold statement, something Im not ready to say just yet. I initially threw it out there months ago, but I retract from that statement. He has to prove it first.

I have no problem with his size at FS. If we were talking SS, then my views would be different. But for FS, I think he'll be fine.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:22 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Landry is a better prospect still. He can play in the box and is pretty good against the pass. Nelson is a pure ballhawk, but I think he is too frail to come into the box and make an impact vs. the running game.

That said, we don't need a safety in the first round. Wilson is a great young Safety, everybody is tooting his horn. A writer on ESPN said that he was surprised the Giants didn't place more compensation on him. He rated him as one of the best restricted Free Agents. I expect Wilson to get a nice lengthy contract, and maybe move to FS in the new defensive system. Demps is more of a SS and I think he can also thrive in that role. We need another safety, but not on day one.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
Landry is a better prospect still. He can play in the box and is pretty good against the pass. Nelson is a pure ballhawk, but I think he is too frail to come into the box and make an impact vs. the running game.

That said, we don't need a safety in the first round. Wilson is a great young Safety, everybody is tooting his horn. A writer on ESPN said that he was surprised the Giants didn't place more compensation on him. He rated him as one of the best restricted Free Agents. I expect Wilson to get a nice lengthy contract, and maybe move to FS in the new defensive system. Demps is more of a SS and I think he can also thrive in that role. We need another safety, but not on day one.
Ricky Bobby...for the last time....Wilson is NOT a FS.

And we didn't place a high tender on him because he's not worth it. We have Demps who can play SS, and to be quite honest, Wilson isn't that great. SS who can play in the box are dime a dozen. Hell you can find one in round 5 of this draft easy. Wilson is very replaceable.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:32 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!

Quote:
Ricky Bobby...for the last time....Wilson is NOT a FS.

And we didn't place a high tender on him because he's not worth it. We have Demps who can play SS, and to be quite honest, Wilson isn't that great. SS who can play in the box are dime a dozen. Hell you can find one in round 5 of this draft easy. Wilson is very replaceable.
I know he's NOT a FS. He can learn to a FS. Just like i'm NOT an electrical engineer, i'm learning to be an electrical engineer.

I think Wilson can become a good FS. You can have your own opinions on him, but i'm sticking to mine. He is undersized to play SS, yet he succeeded. I think he would be a better fit at FS because of his size, and playmaking ability. Our safties are not bad. Our CBs, and Defensive Cordinators made them look bad. Look for Wilson to take his game to another level next year, whether it is at SS or FS.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
moc182
All-Pro

moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.

Nelson is a better player than Landry. Landry had a spectacular Sophomore season, and has been living off it ever since. He's been quite average the past few years. Nelson plays faster than him, is more instinctual, and is more of a playmaker, I like Landry too, but I'd take Nelson in a heartbeat.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmitt Smith
Donít quit, donít even quit.
moc182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I know he's NOT a FS. He can learn to a FS. Just like i'm NOT an electrical engineer, i'm learning to be an electrical engineer.

I think Wilson can become a good FS. You can have your own opinions on him, but i'm sticking to mine. He is undersized to play SS, yet he succeeded. I think he would be a better fit at FS because of his size, and playmaking ability. Our safties are not bad. Our CBs, and Defensive Cordinators made them look bad. Look for Wilson to take his game to another level next year, whether it is at SS or FS.
Wilson will have a better year because we're not gonna run so much Cover 2. But he does not have the speed to excell at FS. If anything, he should just add weight and get stronger for the SS position. He's simply too slow for FS.

I'll be interested in seeing his production next year. It should improve. It will give us a better idea of what to do with Demps in 2009.

But if someone offered a 2nd rounder for Wilson, I wouldn't hesitate to give him up.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:42 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Wilson will have a better year because we're not gonna run so much Cover 2. But he does not have the speed to excell at FS. If anything, he should just add weight and get stronger for the SS position. He's simply too slow for FS.

I'll be interested in seeing his production next year. It should improve. It will give us a better idea of what to do with Demps in 2009.

But if someone offered a 2nd rounder for Wilson, I wouldn't hesitate to give him up.
I would be a bit upset if we lost Wilson. We should have put first round compensation on him.

Here's idea. Trade Wilson for Michael Turner. I know that Turner recieved much higher compensation, but I think SD was bluffing. They will have to dish out mad money to keep him as just a backup. SD was hoping that somebody would trade for him, but those teams have already found RBs. There were rumors about the Browns and Jets were interested in Turner, but they just got Jamal Lewis and Thomas Jones respectively. There is suddenly no market for RBs, and SD needs a safety. I think that Wilson for Turner straight up would be reasonable. Wilson is more proven than Turner despite the compensation difference. I think that the Dom Rhodes and TJ Duckett interest was created to light a fire under San Diego's ass.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bigbluedefense- gibril is really the only good player in our secondary- better than demps. a combo of wilson at SS and nelson at FS would make an incredible, young duo.

gibril will be a pro bowler under spags' new system!
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
bigbluedefense- gibril is really the only good player in our secondary- better than demps. a combo of wilson at SS and nelson at FS would make an incredible, young duo.

To be honest, he's been pretty average after his first 8 games as a rookie. I haven't seen anything out of him to lead me to believe that he will be anything more than a solid SS. He simply doesn't have the coverage skills to take his game to the next level. And like I said, in the box SS are dime a dozen. I just don't see whats so special about him.

Ricky Bobby, Id do that trade. I think we'd make away with the better of it. I question whether the Giants would make anymore trades with SD though. And Im not sure if SD wants that trade with the depth at Safety in the draft this year.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I would be a bit upset if we lost Wilson. We should have put first round compensation on him.

Here's idea. Trade Wilson for Michael Turner. I know that Turner recieved much higher compensation, but I think SD was bluffing. They will have to dish out mad money to keep him as just a backup. SD was hoping that somebody would trade for him, but those teams have already found RBs. There were rumors about the Browns and Jets were interested in Turner, but they just got Jamal Lewis and Thomas Jones respectively. There is suddenly no market for RBs, and SD needs a safety. I think that Wilson for Turner straight up would be reasonable. Wilson is more proven than Turner despite the compensation difference. I think that the Dom Rhodes and TJ Duckett interest was created to light a fire under San Diego's ass.

The Chargers don't have to dish out "mad money" for Turner, little over $2 million.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-08-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The Chargers don't have to dish out "mad money" for Turner, little over $2 million.
If that is the case, He and his agent are going to want out. SD has two options; Trade him, or give him a Hefty contract.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:58 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

wilson avgs 7 tackles a game hes our best player in the secondary and hes a solid ss. i dunno i think nelson is too good to pass up if hes there. i think the best approach is to draft the best football player on the board not what your needs are.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
If that is the case, He and his agent are going to want out. SD has two options; Trade him, or give him a Hefty contract.
They don't have to worry about that this year.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-08-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post

Gibril has a loooooong way to go before he is a pro bowler.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 03-08-2007, 03:04 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
They don't have to worry about that this year.
In this day and age, if you want to be traded, you get traded. There is nothing worse than a player who doesn't want to play for you. They end up being a cancer in the locker room, holding out, and creating a lot of negative publicity around the team. Turner realizes his value right now. He nows that he is worth more than 2 million, and that he can be a starter somewhere else and get big money. He also realizes that he has only 5 or so years left before RBs start to slow down. He won't want to waste a single year playing for 2 million as a back up. He will want out (unless he doesn't like money), trust me.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
In this day and age, if you want to be traded, you get traded. There is nothing worse than a player who doesn't want to play for you. They end up being a cancer in the locker room, holding out, and creating a lot of negative publicity around the team. Turner realizes his value right now. He nows that he is worth more than 2 million, and that he can be a starter somewhere else and get big money. He also realizes that he has only 5 or so years left before RBs start to slow down. He won't want to waste a single year playing for 2 million as a back up. He will want out (unless he doesn't like money), trust me.

And where exactly are you pulling this from? Not a word has come out of Turner or his agent regarding his situation and if they were going to create a fuss, they would not have waited this long.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED