Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-08-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

number 10, his numbers were pretty good this year. i am biased because he is one of my favorite giants. he will get an extension passed this year, and no1 will take him(if so we will match). nelson and landry will be great players, but i feel we still go CB or LB round 1, combo for those 2 postitions rounds 1and2
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
And where exactly are you pulling this from? Not a word has come out of Turner or his agent regarding his situation and if they were going to create a fuss, they would not have waited this long.
To be quite honest, i'm pulling it out of my logical a$$. Free Agency is not over that is why you haven't heard anything from his agent or him. They would be stupid to make the slightest peep about it right now. I'm sure San Diego has told them that they will move him. Once FA is over and Turner is still on the Chargers, you'll hear a grumbling or two.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
To be quite honest, i'm pulling it out of my logical a$$. Free Agency is not over that is why you haven't heard anything from his agent or him. They would be stupid to make the slightest peep about it right now. I'm sure San Diego has told them that they will move him. Once FA is over and Turner is still on the Chargers, you'll hear a grumbling or two.
They would be "grumbling" as you put it, right now. The vacnancies are closing by the day and with every RB move that occurs, his chances are getting smaller and smaller.

Until I actually hear anything out of him, I assume he is fine with the role he is on knowing that he'll make back next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!

Quote:
They would be "grumbling" as you put it, right now. The vacnancies are closing by the day and with every RB move that occurs, his chances are getting smaller and smaller.

Until I actually hear anything out of him, I assume he is fine with the role he is on knowing that he'll make back next year.
Fair enough.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be honest, I love Gibril, but if we could get a second round pick for him, I would also be very happy. If we could get Nelson in the first round, then draft an outside linebacker and cornerback in the second we'll have made a great foundation for our defense. I'm happy if we keep him or trade him.

I'm weary of Nelson. It doesn't matter if he ran a 4.35 in snow to be honest. It's one of those things that will be overblown like when Kyle Boller through the ball 50 yards on one knee at the Combine. It boosted him to a point where he shouldn't have been in my opinion.

Still a great playmaker, and if we get another second round pick from Gibril and he's available, I say we grab him. If not, take an outside linebacker.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Could mean one of two things:

1. He wants to play for a championship team next year

2. Maybe he's more a product of the system, and rather come out next year for a bigger payday as an unrestricted FA after increasing his stock under Turner, who made the most out of Frank Gore.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:36 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Could mean one of two things:

1. He wants to play for a championship team next year

2. Maybe he's more a product of the system, and rather come out next year for a bigger payday as an unrestricted FA after increasing his stock under Turner, who made the most out of Frank Gore.
If you have starting potential and you settle for a backup role, you don't have the love for the game or the money. His stock is as high as it can possibly get behind LT. There is no way he gets better stats than what he already has.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

To get back on topic. I just watched a video of Nelson on Youtube. They call him "the eraser" on there, which is just ridiculous because they don't show a single big hit. He gets INTs, but that may be because the QB is always under a ton of pressure. The Florida front 7 was stacked last year, in case you didn't notice.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
To get back on topic. I just watched a video of Nelson on Youtube. They call him "the eraser" on there, which is just ridiculous because they don't show a single big hit. He gets INTs, but that may be because the QB is always under a ton of pressure. The Florida front 7 was stacked last year, in case you didn't notice.
You didnt see where that one guy ducked to prevent Reggie from laying wood on him?

Or that one shot in the endzone (albeit a cheapshot)?

And remember, we're running a scheme now that is based heavily on pressure.

So he gets INTs in a scheme that gets pressure. We have the scheme, and the horses up front to get pressure. Whats the problem?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:59 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You didnt see where that one guy ducked to prevent Reggie from laying wood on him?

Or that one shot in the endzone (albeit a cheapshot)?

And remember, we're running a scheme now that is based heavily on pressure.

So he gets INTs in a scheme that gets pressure. We have the scheme, and the horses up front to get pressure. Whats the problem?
Most of "The erasor's" tackles aren't solo tackles and he comes in and puts a weak shoulder into a guy that is off balance, or already wrapped up. He looks like he gets erased about as much as he erases. We didn't get that much pressure last year, and if we did, our current Safties would get more INTs. Nelson won't do what for us what he did in Florida.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Most of "The erasor's" tackles aren't solo tackles and he comes in and puts a weak shoulder into a guy that is off balance, or already wrapped up. He looks like he gets erased about as much as he erases. We didn't get that much pressure last year, and if we did, our current Safties would get more INTs. Nelson won't do what for us what he did in Florida.
We didn't get pressure because 3 of our 4 DEs went down. Plus Tim Lewis never blitzed, so teams just chipped/doubled up our Ends and that was that.

With Spagnuola, expect a very different scheme. We will blitz early and often. Couple the fact that our dline is better than the Eagles dline, he's gonna get pressure on the qb.

The issue will be coverage. We need CBs and Safeties who can hold up in man coverage. Reggie provides that playmaker our secondary has been missing for quite some time. He's a playmaker who will make plays on the ball, and he'll create turnovers. Thats just what we need.

We have the ability to create pressure. Now with Spags, we have a DC who will utilize that ability. Now we need to compliment it with a player in the secondary who can capitalize off the pressure and create turnovers. Thats what Reggie Nelson can do better than any player in this draft.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:34 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
We didn't get pressure because 3 of our 4 DEs went down. Plus Tim Lewis never blitzed, so teams just chipped/doubled up our Ends and that was that.

With Spagnuola, expect a very different scheme. We will blitz early and often. Couple the fact that our dline is better than the Eagles dline, he's gonna get pressure on the qb.

The issue will be coverage. We need CBs and Safeties who can hold up in man coverage. Reggie provides that playmaker our secondary has been missing for quite some time. He's a playmaker who will make plays on the ball, and he'll create turnovers. Thats just what we need.

We have the ability to create pressure. Now with Spags, we have a DC who will utilize that ability. Now we need to compliment it with a player in the secondary who can capitalize off the pressure and create turnovers. Thats what Reggie Nelson can do better than any player in this draft.
I agree about our front seven, we will get more pressure next year. I also agree that we have issues in our secondary, but it's not the safties that are at fault. Let's look through the CBs on our roster.

Sam Madison - Was once a great corner, but is way past those days
RW McQuarters - Not starting material for sure. Maybe a Nickelback
Corey Webster - Made big plays at a school with front 7 talent (LSU), similar to Reggie Nelson. When healthy, opponents used him to their advantage.
Kevin Dockery - Showed some promise as a rookie, but definately not starter material quite yet.
EJ Underwood - Let's just hope he's not another Jonas Seawright, all hype but no game.
Frank Walker - somebody put it best "A walking penalty flag"

Our Safties
Gibril Wilson - He's not going anywhere, and will start for us next year whether it's at SS or FS.
Will Demps - I'll admit he is more of a SS. He didn't have the best showing in the begining of the year, but really picked his game up for the last third of the season
James Butler - I was hoping we'd see more of him last year, but we didn't. He still might develop.
Bell - I don't know much about him other than he's old, a journeyman and most likely will be replaced by a second day Safety.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that CB is the position that needs to be upgraded. I'm waiting to see Darrelle Revis's pro day. If he runs a good 40 he should be our pick. Hall or Houston should also be considered in the first. McCauley in second. If we decide to sign Hood, who seems to want starting money, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a safety in round 3.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I agree about our front seven, we will get more pressure next year. I also agree that we have issues in our secondary, but it's not the safties that are at fault. Let's look through the CBs on our roster.

Sam Madison - Was once a great corner, but is way past those days
RW McQuarters - Not starting material for sure. Maybe a Nickelback
Corey Webster - Made big plays at a school with front 7 talent (LSU), similar to Reggie Nelson. When healthy, opponents used him to their advantage.
Kevin Dockery - Showed some promise as a rookie, but definately not starter material quite yet.
EJ Underwood - Let's just hope he's not another Jonas Seawright, all hype but no game.
Frank Walker - somebody put it best "A walking penalty flag"

Our Safties
Gibril Wilson - He's not going anywhere, and will start for us next year whether it's at SS or FS.
Will Demps - I'll admit he is more of a SS. He didn't have the best showing in the begining of the year, but really picked his game up for the last third of the season
James Butler - I was hoping we'd see more of him last year, but we didn't. He still might develop.
Bell - I don't know much about him other than he's old, a journeyman and most likely will be replaced by a second day Safety.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that CB is the position that needs to be upgraded. I'm waiting to see Darrelle Revis's pro day. If he runs a good 40 he should be our pick. Hall or Houston should also be considered in the first. McCauley in second. If we decide to sign Hood, who seems to want starting money, I wouldn't be opposed to taking a safety in round 3.
Under what premises did you come to those conclusions about our CBs?

When in man coverage, our CBs were more than adequate. The only concern is age. Will they hold up for another year? Thats the issue. Production out of our CBs in man coverage (which is what they'll be asked to do next year) was fine. It was our Safeties that consistently gave up big plays up the middle of the field. Ive said it a million times over by now. All we did was run Cover 2 last year. And the safeties got eaten alive for it. Even in Man, when we gave up a play, it was our safeties on the TE. Go watch some old games if you don't believe me.

But we didn't lack production out of the CB spot, not when in Man coverage. The only CB who got his ass handed to him was Webster, who probably won't even make the team next year. Everyone else did fine in man coverage. The safeties are the guys who sucked.

Now if you want CBs because of the age of our current ones, fine, that makes sense. But to say that we need CBs because of a lack of production is not right. Thats not the true culprit of our secondary issues.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 03-08-2007 at 05:50 PM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:56 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Under what premises did you come to those conclusions about our CBs?

When in man coverage, our CBs were more than adequate. The only concern is age. Will they hold up for another year? Thats the issue. Production out of our CBs in man coverage (which is what they'll be asked to do next year) was fine. It was our Safeties that consistently gave up big plays up the middle of the field. Ive said it a million times over by now. All we did was run Cover 2 last year. And the safeties got eaten alive for it. Even in Man, when we gave up a play, it was our safeties on the TE. Go watch some old games if you don't believe me.

But we didn't lack production out of the CB spot, not when in Man coverage. The only CB who got his ass handed to him was Webster, who probably won't even make the team next year. Everyone else did fine in man coverage. The safeties are the guys who sucked.

Now if you want CBs because of the age of our current ones, fine, that makes sense. But to say that we need CBs because of a lack of production is not right. Thats not the true culprit of our secondary issues.
Please point out to me the exact quote about any of the CBs that you disagree with. How many interceptions did our CBs get last year? Did we have one solid guy that we can put on our opponent's number 1 reciever, and count on him to hold him to 50 yards or less? The answer is no. We didn't have one single guy that we felt confortable with covering a guy like TO, or Santana Moss, or Steve Smith. We need a solid number 1 CB. Please don't tell me that Webster, McQuarters or Madison will be that guy. You will lose all credibility in my book.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Please point out to me the exact quote about any of the CBs that you disagree with. How many interceptions did our CBs get last year? Did we have one solid guy that we can put on our opponent's number 1 reciever, and count on him to hold him to 50 yards or less? The answer is no. We didn't have one single guy that we felt confortable with covering a guy like TO, or Santana Moss, or Steve Smith. We need a solid number 1 CB need next. Please don't tell me that Webster, McQuarters or Madison will be that guy. You will lose all credibility in my book.
Theres no question that we could use a shutdown corner.

But are there any in this draft?

Probably not. I don't want to invest in a CB who will ultimately be "solid" but not shutdown. Thats what we would be doing in this draft. None of these CBs have Antonio Cromartie ceilings. Maybe McCauley, but he's a major gamble, and a round 2 guy anyway, where I wouldn't be opposed to nabbing a CB.

In a perfect world, we would nab both. But in a draft thats pretty weak, I rather get the higher graded talent. And the safeties (who are also a need for us) simply have a much higher grade than the round 1 CBs in this draft. We come out with more talent with a round 1 safety, plus fill what is ultimately a need anyway.

Im simply not a fan of drafting round 1 CBs who provide no shut down potential. None of these guys do.

I can live with a round 2 CB. But I wouldn't take a round 1 CB over a guy like Nelson. We'd be sacrificing too much grade to do that.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Seems to me that you've fallen in love with Nelson and are willing to draft him despite the fact that we have bigger needs. I can almost assure you that we will not draft a safety in round one. We have 4 or 5 greater needs.

1a. OLB
1b. CB
1c. WR - I can't decide which is the biggest.
2. DT
3. O-line depth
4. RB
5. Safety
6. Kicker

Last edited by ricky bobby : 03-08-2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: forgot RB
Old 03-08-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

im liking your thought process i most defiantly concur with you. im really excited about what spags will do for our d# this year. i think reggie would be a great fit and give us some depth. weather it be demps coming of the bench or putting gibril on the trading block for a round 2 and picking up Meriweather..
Old 03-08-2007, 06:37 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

I'm forced to bring this link up agian. Voted on by almost 3500 giant fans.

http://www.webpollcentral.com/v2/?id...&user=kennedye
Old 03-08-2007, 06:44 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

so what ricky, we can get a LB in round 2 if necessary. i think spags is going to make a world of difference for us.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:49 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepunch View Post
so what ricky, we can get a LB in round 2 if necessary. i think spags is going to make a world of difference for us.
Ok??? Did you also see the large portion taken up by CB? Safety was amongst the lowest in percentages. This is the only site where i've found Giant fans crying for a safety.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

we can get a corner in round 2 or a backer why should we waste a 1st round pick on decent talent at cb..
Old 03-08-2007, 06:56 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Ok so we've established that CB and OLB is a bigger need than Safety. Then we need another WR, O-line depth, another DT, another RB, and then finally safety. But that's my opinion. Reese's too, we talk for about an hour each day on the phone.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:33 PM    (permalink
joepas171

Quote:
Ok??? Did you also see the large portion taken up by CB? Safety was amongst the lowest in percentages. This is the only site where i've found Giant fans crying for a safety.
must be a good site then cause Safety is a much bigger NEED/WANT than CB
because Demps played like a bum and the value at S is much higher than Cb in the draft. Demps could go right to the bench for all I care if we snagged a PM at safety. (he did improve towards the end of the year, I'll give him that).
Too little to late, thx Wil. The MAJOR problem with our coverage was in the middle because of the safeties and LBs. The Cbs did nothing spectacular but there is talent to be found on the roster.

Wilson is a good SS with probowl potential. Doubtful he could make the transition to FS tho.

Snag the best available safety or Lb in the first. They are there to be had. That said , I wouldnt be disappointed with a playmaking CB either, just dont see one that stands out.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
moc182
All-Pro

moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Seems to me that you've fallen in love with Nelson and are willing to draft him despite the fact that we have bigger needs. I can almost assure you that we will not draft a safety in round one. We have 4 or 5 greater needs.

1a. OLB
1b. CB
1c. WR - I can't decide which is the biggest.
2. DT
3. O-line depth
4. RB
5. Safety
6. Kicker

And defensive end was our biggest need last year? The draft is about accumulating talent, not filling needs, especially in the first round.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmitt Smith
Donít quit, donít even quit.
moc182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:51 PM    (permalink
dhoe20
Rookie

dhoe20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Meh, even without his pro-day he was going to be picked before 20. No chance he drops this far now.

I can't wait til the FSU pro-day. I want to see how Timmons does there. Devin Hester ran a poor 40 time at the combine too, so that's why I don't trust the combine times yet.
dhoe20 is offline   Reply With Quote