Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: AFC North vs. NFC North: Who Would Win In A Head-to-Head Matchup?
AFC North 87 50.29%
NFC North 86 49.71%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Lies. Nothing makes Charles Woodson less effective.
not even Charles Woodson?

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
not even Charles Woodson?
Charles Woodson is like a fine wine. He gets better with age. He won the Heisman at the age of 20. Now he's a Pro Bowl corner. Imagine when he's, like, 65? He'll be picking off 30 passes per year.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Depressant View Post
How can you make the determination that the NFC North would play a Cover 2?
I just figured that Det/Chi/Minn played some form of the Tampa2 led me to believe that the players involved would likely be best set in one?

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Manic Depressant
Rookie

Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
I just figured that Det/Chi/Minn played some form of the Tampa2 led me to believe that the players involved would likely be best set in one?
The Tampa 2 is a dying breed. Sure, the NFC North teams implement some Cover 2/Tampa 2 concepts into their schemes like all defenses but they definitely aren't "pure" Cover 2/Tampa 2 teams. Those teams are few and far between in today's NFL.
Manic Depressant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:24 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Tampa 2 is a dying breed. Sure, the NFC North teams implement some Cover 2/Tampa 2 concepts into their schemes like all defenses but they definitely aren't "pure" Cover 2/Tampa 2 teams. Those teams are few and far between in today's NFL.
Define "pure" Cover/Tampa 2. Because I really don't know what else Chicago plays, or why they keep drafting defensive players that are best fit for that type of defense. At the very least, the great majority of Chicago's defense is made up of it.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Manic Depressant
Rookie

Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.Manic Depressant could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Define "pure" Cover/Tampa 2. Because I really don't know what else Chicago plays, or why they keep drafting defensive players that are best fit for that type of defense. At the very least, the great majority of Chicago's defense is made up of it.
Well Urlacher and Briggs are certainly not linebackers who are confined to the Cover 2 or Tampa 2 and they are really the only significant players on the NFCN's defense. Guys like Winfield and Woodson are made for man defense anyway.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
because that would make Woodson less effective
Not really. Woodson would still be damn good in a cover 2.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:15 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well Urlacher and Briggs are certainly not linebackers who are confined to the Cover 2 or Tampa 2 and they are really the only significant players on the NFCN's defense. Guys like Winfield and Woodson are made for man defense anyway.
I'm pretty sure the Bears run exclusively the Tampa 2. Our safeties play a huge part in the passing game, with the corners usually covering specific zones, either short or out.

Idk what Urlacher you are talking about, but Brian Urlacher is a perfect MLB for a cover/tampa 2. He does his best work when dropping into the zone. We use our OLBs to cover short routes with the CBs, with Urlacher sitting to cover the middle that is left void by our safeties covering so much ground. If you watch big passing plays we give up, they are always to the middle, over Urlacher and between the safeties. That is the big weakness in a cover/tampa 2.

Again, I'm not sure what you were referring to, but the Bears pretty much always run a tampa 2 and Urlacher is a perfect MLB for it (idk now that he's getting older, but in his prime he was).
Old 05-19-2009, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Manic Depressant
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Bears run exclusively the Tampa 2. Our safeties play a huge part in the passing game, with the corners usually covering specific zones, either short or out.

Idk what Urlacher you are talking about, but Brian Urlacher is a perfect MLB for a cover/tampa 2. He does his best work when dropping into the zone. We use our OLBs to cover short routes with the CBs, with Urlacher sitting to cover the middle that is left void by our safeties covering so much ground. If you watch big passing plays we give up, they are always to the middle, over Urlacher and between the safeties. That is the big weakness in a cover/tampa 2.

Again, I'm not sure what you were referring to, but the Bears pretty much always run a tampa 2 and Urlacher is a perfect MLB for it (idk now that he's getting older, but in his prime he was).
I was making the point that Urlacher isn't confined to a Cover 2/Tampa 2, not that he isn't a good player in that scheme.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:27 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
I was making the point that Urlacher isn't confined to a Cover 2/Tampa 2, not that he isn't a good player in that scheme.
Ah, my mistake, I misread. But still, they may not be confined to it, but they, especially Urlacher, do their best work in it. Also, with the strength of the NFCN's DL, I think it would most likely be the best choice for them to play a Cover 2 scheme. If they did, the safeties would still be a big liability, but the skill/strength we have at corner would be able to make up for it.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

AFCN won right? Polls are closed? and like always, the people are right!
AFCN is too nasty for flashy players to play like their expected. My rookie RBs shoulder (Mendenhall), proves that all it takes is one good Ray Lewis hit to put AP on the ground!
And I understand your love for Cutler; I was so happy to see him leave Denver for Soldier Field, but Big Ben is freakin awesome! And our (Steelers) below-average line did a pretty good job of handling the Williams/Allen trio, so I imagine the AFCN All Pro team Oline could do better.
On paper, C. Johnson and Jennings are scary, but punch them in the mouth and see what happens; we are the AFC North after all...and that's how we do!

Last edited by SCSteeler : 05-19-2009 at 06:17 PM.
SCSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Not really. Woodson would still be damn good in a cover 2.
not saying he wouldnt, but his man coverage is better than his zone isnt it

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:59 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
No, it isn't. For whatever reason there isn't a close time set on the poll.

There isn't anything saying when it was supposed to close either.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:33 PM    (permalink
cunit2k9
Rookie

cunit2k9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
Nothing but lies.
How? It is true that they threw it a ton.
cunit2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
AFCN is too nasty for flashy players to play like their expected. My rookie RBs shoulder (Mendenhall), proves that all it takes is one good Ray Lewis hit to put AP on the ground!
And I understand your love for Cutler; I was so happy to see him leave Denver for Soldier Field, but Big Ben is freakin awesome! And our (Steelers) below-average line did a pretty good job of handling the Williams/Allen trio, so I imagine the AFCN All Pro team Oline could do better.
On paper, C. Johnson and Jennings are scary, but punch them in the mouth and see what happens; we are the AFC North after all...and that's how we do!
When did the Steelers line handle the Williams and Allen? Do you mean in the preseason last year? If so, that is a terrible way to base things on. The last time the two teams played a meaningful game was before Jared Allen was a Viking. Also, polls aren't closed. It was supposed to close at midnight ET last night, but for whatever reason didn't, and I believe the NFC north was ahead at that time.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 AM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Tomorrow will be the last day to vote.
Diab said this on the 17th, but if the poll never closes? Diab is running this, and if he keeps his word, technically the NFC North wins as they had the most votes at Midnight. It'd be up to him though.

Most of these have been pushes though, and the championship is no different. It'd be cool to get loser brackets going if we wanted to kill time.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:40 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NFC North has AD and the biggest freak in the NFL...Calvin Johnson.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:43 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikes_29 View Post
The NFC North has AD and the biggest freak in the NFL...Calvin Johnson.
The AFC has Troy P and Ed Reed if we are naming 2 playmakers.
We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:53 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
The AFC has Troy P and Ed Reed if we are naming 2 playmakers.
I'm sorry, but safeties probably have the smallest effect on the game of any position(other than TE and FB) and this is coming from a former safety.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:08 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone447 View Post
I'm sorry, but safeties probably have the smallest effect on the game of any position(other than TE and FB) and this is coming from a former safety.
Tell that the 2006 Indianapolis Colts defense.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:46 PM    (permalink
noggin

Quote:
Makes for a fun game.

Can anyone name the irrelevant All-Pro Safety who is coincidentally associated with each of these dominant defenses?

(1) 49ers circa 1989
(2) Cowboys circa 1994
(3) Buccaneers circa 2000
(4) Ravens circa 2000 and 2006 (bonus trick question!)
(5) Patriots circa 2003
(6) Steelers circa 2005

no cheating.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not if you're a good safety.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:58 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with safeties is that they are so close in skill level except for the elite talents like Sanders, Reed, Polamalu, etc.

There's not much different from the 10th best safety to the 30th best safety.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
The problem with safeties is that they are so close in skill level except for the elite talents like Sanders, Reed, Polamalu, etc.

There's not much different from the 10th best safety to the 30th best safety.
I would dispute there being no difference between the 10th best safety and the 30th best safety. But aside from that, Polamalu and Reed are the safeties in question, and by your own admission, they're on another level.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Bohleive
Veteran

Bohleive hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noggin View Post
Makes for a fun game.

Can anyone name the irrelevant All-Pro Safety who is coincidentally associated with each of these dominant defenses?

(1) 49ers circa 1989
(2) Cowboys circa 1994
(3) Buccaneers circa 2000
(4) Ravens circa 2000 and 2006 (bonus trick question!)
(5) Patriots circa 2003
(6) Steelers circa 2005

no cheating.
1. Ronnie Lott
2. Darren Woodson
3. John Lynch
4. Rod Woodson and Ed Reed
5. Rodney Harrison
6. Troy Polumalu

And yes, they have a huge impact. Ask any ravens fan, or colts fan for that matter. Game winning, 50-100+ yd td, int returns are Ed Reed's signature move.