Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 03-03-2010, 07:18 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would prefer Price to Atkins but you would obviously need to take Price in the 1st and there is some question as to whether he would even be there then. Targeting Atkins would make it easier to find an OLman in the 1st. Hopefully there's a good one available.

With his miserable 40 time I think Greg Hardy is dropping like a rock on draft boards. He could be a good 3rd rounder.

I don't think we need a CB early. Hayden is getting paid to start and Powers proved he is one of the top 2 CBs on the team. Lacey or Jackson have extensive starting time so either of them being the #3 CB is a good thing IMO. Outside of Joe Haden falling to us I think the Colts will look at talent at other positions early.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:14 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott revised his rankings and he has Bruce Campbell as a 2nd rounder.

Now, personally I would LOVE for Campbell to be drafted by the Colts, even despite the fact that he is raw, but I don't think it'll happen.

I think Campbell will be picked higher. Athletic OT prospects get valued very highly.

Sig by Primetime21
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:54 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I very much wouldnt want Campbell, I want a proven LT rather than a freak with poor tape

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:37 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys should sign Jared Gaither to an offer sheet. And him be your 1st round pick.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:19 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
You guys should sign Jared Gaither to an offer sheet. And him be your 1st round pick.
I agree, but I doubt Polian will go for it. He is just not a player in free agency.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know why he wouldn't do it... The guy is only 23 years old has no background problems and is a top ten LT in this league. Plus he would help out your run game which has not been tip top for two years now. There's nothing like on 3rd and 1 running behind a 6 foot 9 340 pound LT, it's doesn't get any better than that.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:57 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Ravens will match

Quote:
I don't know why he wouldn't do it... The guy is only 23 years old has no background problems and is a top ten LT in this league. Plus he would help out your run game which has not been tip top for two years now. There's nothing like on 3rd and 1 running behind a 6 foot 9 340 pound LT, it's doesn't get any better than that.
The thing is, the Ravens know they are not going to get anyone better at #25 or #31. But they do not want to overpay Gaither. The Colts do not overpay for free agents, so chances are, the Ravens match the Colts offer even if we give up our first round pick thus retaining him. Plus, the Colts have too much respect for Ozzie Newsome to include any poison pill clauses in the contract like the Vikes did with the Seahawks with the Hutchinson deal. That is why this is unlikely to happen.
chad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:22 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad72 View Post
Plus, the Colts have too much respect for Ozzie Newsome to include any poison pill clauses in the contract like the Vikes did with the Seahawks with the Hutchinson deal. That is why this is unlikely to happen.
This is just crazy... To much repect for Ozzie. If it makes your team better you do it, no matter what. If you guys do add a poison pill, Ozzie should call you and say... You got me, tried to save some money and you got me. If Ozzie didn't want anyone messing with his OT he should of slapped him with a 1st and 3rd.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
This is just crazy... To much repect for Ozzie. If it makes your team better you do it, no matter what. If you guys do add a poison pill, Ozzie should call you and say... You got me, tried to save some money and you got me. If Ozzie didn't want anyone messing with his OT he should of slapped him with a 1st and 3rd.
With the release of Ryan Lilja we are one step closer to getting Gaither. At least, in my dreams we are. I never expected Polian to drop Lilja like that, or to let it out that the Colts are openly looking to get bigger on the OL. So while I still think it is unlikely, it seems a little more possible they'll bring in Gaither, move Charlie Johnson to RT, and move Ryan Diem to guard.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-09-2010, 03:35 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Yeah but...

Quote:
...I do think the NFL has some rules regarding poison pill clauses in contracts, just not sure how far it goes and what it states. The least we do is raise the re-signing price of Jared Gaither. Can 2nd offers be made by the Colts if we know the Ravens are willing to match a 1st offer from the Colts? Not sure if it can be done.

But yeah, letting go of Lilja might make the Gaither scenario more likely. But if Gaither does not happen, I doubt that CJ will be moved to guard, Polian would not want Peyton's blind side protected by a rookie, so CJ and Diem will remain at the ends and Saturday at center. The ones that will be drafted will most likely be OGs where we need to get bigger. I can see Jon Jerry of Ole Miss in round 2 or Ducasse at the top of round 2 if Polian trades down. I do however see a tackle prospect like Tony Washington of Abilene Christian drafted as a project for two years down the road.

Last edited by chad72 : 03-09-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:46 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Default It is not that easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
With the release of Ryan Lilja we are one step closer to getting Gaither. At least, in my dreams we are. I never expected Polian to drop Lilja like that, or to let it out that the Colts are openly looking to get bigger on the OL. So while I still think it is unlikely, it seems a little more possible they'll bring in Gaither, move Charlie Johnson to RT, and move Ryan Diem to guard.
I think Ryan Diem will stay at RT, he is not as athletic enough as Charlie Johnson is to do pulling as a guard. Charlie might be the future RT but not right now, he will be moved to RG or LG.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:49 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I don't think our guards will need to pull much anymore. I doubt we see the stretch again. It just doesn't work, Manning doesn't get to the right spot fast enough anymore.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-12-2010, 10:21 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Alright guys, here's a question. If all these players were somehow available at the 31st pick, which would you want?

In no particular order:

- Brian Price, DT, UCLA
- Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
- Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
- Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
- Mike Iupati, OL, Oklahoma
- Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
- Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
- Earl Thomas, S, Texas
- Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
- Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland
- Charles Brown, OT, USC
- Everson Griffen, DE, UCC
- Jerry Hughes, DE, TCU
- Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Mizzou
- Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
- Taylor Mays, S, USC

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-12-2010, 12:13 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

- Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
- Mike Iupati, OL, Oklahoma
- Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
- Brian Price, DT, UCLA
- Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
- Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
- Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Mizzou

- Charles Brown, OT, USC
- Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
- Jerry Hughes, DE, TCU
- Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
- Everson Griffen, DE, UCC

- Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
- Earl Thomas, S, Texas
- Taylor Mays, S, USC
- Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland

Had a quick go at doing this... you'll see if I have 3 distinct groups, guys I would be very happy with guys I would settle for, and guys I really dont want either due to position of just not impressed with their play...

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anthony Davis would top my list, with Trent Williams second.

UKfan, I understand your reasoning regarding Bruce Campbell, but as Polian has mentioned, talented LT prospects don't fall to late-1st round picks usually.

Campbell could be that guy. Sure he's raw, but with some development time, he could be a franchise LT.

Sig by Primetime21
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why not just sign/trade for Gaither? At 24, he's almost as young as the rookies, and he has 2 years of starting experience where he's proven to be a very good NFL OT. Surely he's better than any risk the team can take at the 31st pick.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:51 AM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Why not just sign/trade for Gaither? At 24, he's almost as young as the rookies, and he has 2 years of starting experience where he's proven to be a very good NFL OT. Surely he's better than any risk the team can take at the 31st pick.
Last year the top Offensive Tackle Free Agent got a 6 year, $60M Contract, with $35M guaranteed. Gaither is better than Jordan Gross, he gets the usual one year markup in prices, and he's got 4 years on him. So we get a player for the 31st pick overall, we get a proven starter, and we pay him the sort of money you give to the 1st Overall pick. Why won't the Colts go for Gaither? Because it will cost them, basically, about $9M a year more.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
Last year the top Offensive Tackle Free Agent got a 6 year, $60M Contract, with $35M guaranteed. Gaither is better than Jordan Gross, he gets the usual one year markup in prices, and he's got 4 years on him. So we get a player for the 31st pick overall, we get a proven starter, and we pay him the sort of money you give to the 1st Overall pick. Why won't the Colts go for Gaither? Because it will cost them, basically, about $9M a year more.
In a capless year where you can frontload the deal (especially with guarantees), and you lock up your LT position for the next 10+ years with a player who, if he were in this class knowing what we know right now, would be at least the 2nd highest rated OT. The upside on making a move like this easily outweighs the downside.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2010, 03:54 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus2602 View Post
A proven blindside protector, IMO, is worth it. If we had had the line we had in 06 these past 3 seasons we'd have at least 1 more SB IMO. For such a smart front office I don't understand why they stupidly go after dollar store talent for the group charged with protecting Manning.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 AM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Default Perfect draft to trade down

To me, with the talent in this draft, we could get good talent with so many underclassmen declaring well into round 3 or 4.

Hence, the Patriots acquiring of 2nd round picks seems so smart for this draft, yikes, 4 picks in the first 53 picks.

Having said that, I would love for Polian to trade down in this draft and acquire an extra 2nd and 4th round pick (top 10) for pick No.31. This way, our lack of a 6th round pick wouldn't be that much of an issue. I am sure, with the way Hunter Smith played for the Redskins, we could get a possible 5th round compensatory pick too. That is the best I am expecting right now.

We could get one of several - Vladimir Ducasse, Roger Saffold, Jared Veldheer, Jon Jerry etc. in the second round, and possibly Ducasse or Saffold at the top of round 2, if we traded down to it. I feel we should go that route given the depth in this draft.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Four questions arise from that though:

1) Who is going to be left on the board that some other team will want to trade up for? If it's a bad spot, no one is going to do the Colts any favors.
2) Who would the Colts be looking to trade down for and do they feel he'd be available at the slot they trade down to?
3) What players would the Colts want to stay put for and simply draft them? I'm sure if, say by some miracle, Brandon Graham or Taylor Mays is sitting there waiting to be drafted, the Colts stay put.
4) Is gaining the extra draft pick worth losing the year of contract time they get at the end of round 1? A low 1st round pick gets a 5 year deal, a high 2nd round pick gets a 4 year deal.

Quote:
Old 03-15-2010, 01:51 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Default My answers

Quote:
Four questions arise from that though:

1) Who is going to be left on the board that some other team will want to trade up for? If it's a bad spot, no one is going to do the Colts any favors.
Ans: Jermaine Gresham or Golden Tate?? If either of those two drop to No.31, I think it may be prudent for the Colts to look for trading partners

2) Who would the Colts be looking to trade down for and do they feel he'd be available at the slot they trade down to?
Ans: Roger Saffold, I know has interviewed with the Colts, just like several other teams. If the Colts feel he would be there at 39 or 40 but can get an extra pick, why not?

3) What players would the Colts want to stay put for and simply draft them?
Ans: Brandon Graham, obviously. Kyle Wilson, obviously. Bruce Campbell too.

4) Is gaining the extra draft pick worth losing the year of contract time they get at the end of round 1?
Ans: If the intent is to put him in the lineup right away (OT, CB, DE - chances are high of that happening), then yes, it is worth it.
These are my answers above
Old 03-15-2010, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Why Kyle Wilson? Is dimeback a huge need? Graham and Campbell are no brainers, but the Colts are set at CB with Hayden and Powers as starters, and Lacey as the nickel who can spot start effectively. Granted, depth is a need, but you don't draft depth in round 1.

Quote:
Old 03-15-2010, 02:23 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Default A couple of things

Quote:
Why Kyle Wilson? Is dimeback a huge need? Graham and Campbell are no brainers, but the Colts are set at CB with Hayden and Powers as starters, and Lacey as the nickel who can spot start effectively. Granted, depth is a need, but you don't draft depth in round 1.
  1. The premise that drafting for nickel alone warrants only a later round pick is not always true with the Colts. To me, Hayden and Powers (granted Powers has been around only 1 year) have also augmented the CB injury history that the Colts have shown year in and year out. So, our nickel CB is one injury away to Hayden and Powers from starting and playing outside, which in all likelihood will happen, no doubts about it in my mind.
  2. My contention is that Lacey is not as good as people think he is. He made very few plays in the SB when Hayden and Powers' playing time became limited, along with Jennings. He does get beat enough times on fakes (Braylon Edwards TD in Jets AFCCG) and slants (Kenny Britt TD) and other cases too, IMO, he is no way as physical as Marlin Jackson in the nickel or Jerraud Powers outside, his best role is a dimeback.
  3. Plus, lightning does not strike twice that we can get another Jerraud Powers in round 3 and hope it pans out. I am not a big fan of Arenas' as a CB who a lot of Colts fans are touting as a good nickel prospect in later rounds, he would be another 5'8" CB for me, a Tim Jennings that can return punts, and that would be it for me.
  4. Having lost 3 out of 6 CBs (Marlin Jackson, Tim Jennings, and T.J.Rushing), drafting 2 CBs is almost a certainty with UDFAs being brought in for competition. The CB depth in this draft is not so good that I feel day 2 picks would be enough for us to get at least 1 quality one. I also believe that both Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty, with their special teams experience at returners, bring physical CB play and starter capability to even replace Lacey at the nickelback position and are both capable of playing outside as well.

Last edited by chad72 : 03-15-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad72 View Post
  1. The premise that drafting for nickel alone warrants only a later round pick is not always true with the Colts. To me, Hayden and Powers (granted Powers has been around only 1 year) have also augmented the CB injury history that the Colts have shown year in and year out. So, our nickel CB is one injury away to Hayden and Powers from starting and playing outside, which in all likelihood will happen, no doubts about it in my mind.
  2. My contention is that Lacey is not as good as people think he is. He made very few plays in the SB when Hayden and Powers' playing time became limited, along with Jennings. He does get beat enough times on fakes (Braylon Edwards TD in Jets AFCCG) and slants (Kenny Britt TD) and other cases too, IMO, he is no way as physical as Marlin Jackson in the nickel or Jerraud Powers outside, his best role is a dimeback.
  3. Plus, lightning does not strike twice that we can get another Jerraud Powers in round 3 and hope it pans out. I am not a big fan of Arenas' as a CB who a lot of Colts fans are touting as a good nickel prospect in later rounds, he would be another 5'8" CB for me, a Tim Jennings that can return punts, and that would be it for me.
  4. Having lost 3 out of 6 CBs (Marlin Jackson, Tim Jennings, and T.J.Rushing), drafting 2 CBs is almost a certainty with UDFAs being brought in for competition. The CB depth in this draft is not so good that I feel day 2 picks would be enough for us to get at least 1 quality one. I also believe that both Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty, with their special teams experience at returners, bring physical CB play and starter capability to even replace Lacey at the nickelback position and are both capable of playing outside as well.
  1. You can't draft on the basis of "what if an injury occurs" unless you're going to completely count that player out of your plans. Something tells me that Hayden and Powers are a BIG part of the plan at CB for the near future, so either way, if you assume they're going to be injured, you've allocated your resources poorly. I know BPA is a factor, but you can't just completely ignore need in the valuation of BPA, and nickelback never has been, is not, and never will be a first round need, and no CB the Colts draft will have a chance to draft will supplant either starter.
  2. Even if Lacey isn't as good as people think (which I think you're actually being pretty harsh on a UDFA rookie there, he still has his best football ahead IMO), he's slated at nickelback as of now. Yes, he's an injury away from starting at this point, but that goes back to my first point and the fact that he's probably going to get better.
  3. Javier Arenas isn't the only other CB available in this draft aside from the ones in round 1. Grabbing CBs late for depth is not a bad idea. Taking a CB early with the intention of him having a big role early on is, since the top 3 CBs from last season at a minimum will be returning to the roster.
  4. T.J. Rushing is still a Colt to my knowledge, and (as much as it pains me to say this) Tim Jennings can and probably will be resigned. Does that mean that CB shouldn't be addressed at all in this draft? No, but IMO there's no real point in drafting one before Day 3 for the simple fact that they're at best going to be a dimeback for the upcoming season with possible promotion via injury. This team won a Super Bowl with a 4th round pick and a UDFA starting at CB though, so it's not like it's impossible for them to have success at the position with guys that other teams don't value as much.

Quote: