Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-30-2014, 09:48 AM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone have any successful trap workouts, except for shrugs?

And forearms also, I'm trying to build them but it's not happening quickly.

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:34 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heavy deadlifts will build traps and forearms and most of your other muscles too.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post

Upright rows, as well. Shrugs are the best for it though.
I swear shrugs are mainly genetic though. I've been working on mine forever.
And while I'm glad where I'm at with them... I'm no where near where I'd really like them to be #TomHardyWarriorStatus

Do you use any lifting straps? If so, stop it and you'll engage your forearms more.
You can hold a 5 or 10 lbs dumbbell and rest your forearm on your knee. Open and close your hand with the weight on your palm. Curl your hand in towards your forearm when you close your fist. Did I paint that picture well enough?
Also, try the rope and stick method... very effective.

I'd post pics but I'm at work and all pics show up as red 'x''s for me

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:49 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just can't bring myself to spend time on forearm exercises.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-30-2014, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do the rope/stick routine once in a while.
Really though, all I did was stop using lifting straps.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:34 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Upright rows, as well. Shrugs are the best for it though.
I swear shrugs are mainly genetic though. I've been working on mine forever.
And while I'm glad where I'm at with them... I'm no where near where I'd really like them to be #TomHardyWarriorStatus

Do you use any lifting straps? If so, stop it and you'll engage your forearms more.
You can hold a 5 or 10 lbs dumbbell and rest your forearm on your knee. Open and close your hand with the weight on your palm. Curl your hand in towards your forearm when you close your fist. Did I paint that picture well enough?
Also, try the rope and stick method... very effective.

I'd post pics but I'm at work and all pics show up as red 'x''s for me
Bolded because I want this too.

But I have been to the gym 5 times since Monday, plan on going again tonight, and already can tell a difference in my arms. Gotta love muscle memory. It feels good to get back into it, I got 300 on bench even though I havent really lifted in a long while.

Im also drinking lots of water, eating peanut butter, and staying away from pepperonis, my favorite food.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

You put up 300 on bench and you're just getting back into it?!
**** you! lol I've topped out at 275 and that was before I messed up my lat/shoulder. I'm still recovering and put up 225 only a couple of times.
Working on getting my strength and stamina back up again. Slow tedious process when I was there already.

Turkey pepperoni!

Old 01-30-2014, 02:43 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You put up 300 on bench and you're just getting back into it?!
**** you! lol I've topped out at 275 and that was before I messed up my lat/shoulder. I'm still recovering and put up 225 only a couple of times.
Working on getting my strength and stamina back up again. Slow tedious process when I was there already.

Turkey pepperoni!
My junior and senior years of high school was devoted to lifting. Looking back it is why I didn't have much friends, or partying, etc....

I love doing shoulder shrugs, only thing is at our fitness center at college dumbbells only go to 75 so I am maxing out with them. No matter what exercise (besides bench, squat, deadlift, cleans), I always do 3 x 10s. Its in the range (I think?) of power and endurance.

Turkey pepperoni is not as good and more expensive. Though I did just buy a 3 lb 8 oz thing of Peanut Butter.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post

snatch grip shrugs work both very well
Old 01-30-2014, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

You work out at Planet Fitness?! I visited my uncle/aunt last summer and was lifting at my aunt's gym (PF). DBs topped out at 75. Yeah, that sucked.
My gym now goes up to 120's so I plan on being able to bench press them by the end of the year. I'm on 90/95 for sets. This time last year I was using the 110's and 120's on my heavy days. Ugh. Hate regressing.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:55 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
You work out at Planet Fitness?! I visited my uncle/aunt last summer and was lifting at my aunt's gym (PF). DBs topped out at 75. Yeah, that sucked.
My gym now goes up to 120's so I plan on being able to bench press them by the end of the year. I'm on 90/95 for sets. This time last year I was using the 110's and 120's on my heavy days. Ugh. Hate regressing.
No, just the fitness center at my college. Which only has one squat/bench rack. But a lot of machines, I just try to mix everything in at once. I can already see a difference in the shape of the deltoid (I think thats it?).
Old 01-30-2014, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Delts... your shoulders.

Ah, I guess that's the benefit of going to Penn State. The gyms were amazing.
Also fortunate that I have a great gym now just 5 mins away from my house.
The military discount helps keep that cost low so I don't have to use the base gym... which is terrible.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:35 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Heavy deadlifts will build traps and forearms and most of your other muscles too.
I'll start doing that, I said I would the other day but haven't tried it yet.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Olympic lifts will build your forearms, traps and others muscles. The deadlift is actually the opening portion of the olympic lifts. You should try olympic lifts if you're trying to get stronger. Just make sure you know how to do them correctly and safely. The strongest people in the world are olympic lifters.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:53 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

I feel this way whenever my girlfriend is squating, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Olympic lifts will build your forearms, traps and others muscles. The deadlift is actually the opening portion of the olympic lifts. You should try olympic lifts if you're trying to get stronger. Just make sure you know how to do them correctly and safely. The strongest people in the world are olympic lifters.
That different than a normal dead lift/

Old 01-30-2014, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's only one way a deadlift should be done, whether you're simply deadlifting, or as the opening portion of an olympic lift. The deadlift is simply the action of picking up the weight from the ground and standing up while keeping your arms straight. It's very important to use proper form due to the demands being placed on the back.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:57 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Had a good lift tonight, really starting to feel better about it all. Did some lifts 5 x 10 just to get the ol body a pumping more, but I didn't do the elliptical this time. I guess that difference gave me more motivation to do more.

I plan on this weekend to writing down a program and writing my weights too, just to keep a journal and see my progress.

#TomHardyTraps
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
I love doing shoulder shrugs, only thing is at our fitness center at college dumbbells only go to 75 so I am maxing out with them. No matter what exercise (besides bench, squat, deadlift, cleans), I always do 3 x 10s. Its in the range (I think?) of power and endurance.
Is there a reason you can't do barbell shrugs?

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-31-2014, 08:27 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Is there a reason you can't do barbell shrugs?
We only have one barbell which goes to the bench..... Yeahhh :/
Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
We only have one barbell which goes to the bench..... Yeahhh :/
One barbell total? Crap man I have more than that at my house.

i done stole dis sig
Old 01-31-2014, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Go up quick, hold it at the top and down as slow as you can. Stupid slow. Where it burns like hell after just five reps. Only thing you can really do when you can't go heavy with shrugs.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
But I need some new recipes
I have an easy one.

You will need:
chicken breasts
pesto
olive oil
toothpicks
casserole dish
knife

1. Take the chicken breasts and cut them in half, long ways, so they are thinner.
2. Put the pesto on the top of the chicken and then fold it over. Use a toothpick to hold it closed. Don't put too much pesto in, just do it to your preferred level of pesto.
3. Pour some olive oil into the casserole dish (just enough so that the chicken won't stick when it cooks).
4. Place the folded, toothpicked chicken in the casserole, then spoon some pesto on top of the chicken. (you can cook a lot of chicken at once.
5. Bake the chicken in the over at 350 for about 25 minutes (just check to see when it's cooked).
6. Take it out when the chicken is cooked and then remove the chicken from the dish.
7. Eat your pesto chicken.

I like to pair it with steamed green beans.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Buy a slow cooker
2. Buy massive hunks of cheap meat
3. Throw some onions and other veg in
4. Throw some stock in
5. Cook together for many hours
6. Enjoy
Old 01-31-2014, 11:37 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A slow cooker is probably the coolest thing you can buy for under $20. Throw a bunch of crap in; let it sit for hours; have delicious food.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I'm more in the George Foreman grill corner.
Throw on a breast and some asparugus and make some minute rice on the stove... A nice healthy meal in less than ten minutes.