Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-03-2014, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Question.

I'm 5'10 roughly 210. I want to get back to my normal weight of 180. Not looking to add muscle per say but really just slim down. Is a heavy dose of cardio my best option? Also I'm going to try and limit my calories per day to 2000 max. Should I see results fairly quickly doing a mix of cardio and light lifting 3-4 times a week for an hour?
"People are going to start respecting LSU...if you don't, we're going to hit you in your mouth."
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you're eating less than your maintenance amount (in calories), you're going to lose wait. Even without working out.
Add in workouts and you'll lose even faster. It's all preference but I'm not into cardio heavy workouts.
You'll lose the weight but your body composition won't be what you want it to be.
You'll get the common "skinny fat" body. Better to be solid and lose the weight at a slower pace.

When I cut, I'm eating about 2000 calories a day and I'm 5'9 170
You can probably get away with eating more, especially if you're working out
Use a TDEE calculator and figure out where you should be at.
My rule of thumb for cutting is usually maintenance TDEE - 500 and then eat back your workout calories that you burned.
There's lots of ways to do it. That's just mine.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Last edited by Nalej : 02-03-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 2000 calorie part should help more than anything, but nothing real will happen "fairly quickly" in terms of losing fat. If you stick with a consistent diet and workout you'll get actually results but it won't be "fast".

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:11 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FAQ! FAQ! For real though, I may do it this weekend if I'm not working.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Make it Rob and I'll put it in the first post. :)

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 02-03-2014, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
The 2000 calorie part should help more than anything, but nothing real will happen "fairly quickly" in terms of losing fat. If you stick with a consistent diet and workout you'll get actually results but it won't be "fast".
My normal diet I'm starting today outside of a cheat day i do every Friday at work is 1 protein bar for breakfast and lunch and 2 chicken breasts with veggies for dinner.
"People are going to start respecting LSU...if you don't, we're going to hit you in your mouth."
Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Doing something that extreme is stupid and wasteful and won't last long at all. Unless you're trying to get really strong or lose a **** ton of weight you're better off finding something that you can actually sustain over time or you're just going to go back to how you were before and gain all the weight back.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 02-03-2014, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

That website said if I eat 3 meals a day each should be about 600 calories. Idk WTF I can eat for breakfast and lunch that's 600 calories. I take meds that cut my appetite during the day so I don't normally eat a big lunch anyway.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't be so prescriptive. Log your meals/set macro goals at myfitnesspal and focus on eating real foods over processed crap like protein bars.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:44 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Macklin View Post
That website said if I eat 3 meals a day each should be about 600 calories. Idk WTF I can eat for breakfast and lunch that's 600 calories. I take meds that cut my appetite during the day so I don't normally eat a big lunch anyway.
You might actually do pretty well with intermittent fasting.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
You might actually do pretty well with intermittent fasting.
I think that would be too extreme for him at the moment. Just needs to focus on making regular, healthy lifestyle choices.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One problem I think people run into is trying to go from eating poorly to eating perfectly over night. Not gonna happen. Changing habits takes time. I find that it's helped me to focus on dietary changes one at a time. For example, focus on cutting down on sweetened drinks and drinking more water until you've made it a habit. Once you've accomplished that, try moving on to a different goal, such as cutting down on fried food or eating less candy.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
One problem I think people run into is trying to go from eating poorly to eating perfectly over night. Not gonna happen. Changing habits takes time. I find that it's helped me to focus on dietary changes one at a time. For example, focus on cutting down on sweetened drinks and drinking more water until you've made it a habit. Once you've accomplished that, try moving on to a different goal, such as cutting down on fried food or eating less candy.
I think it depends on your personality. With something like IF, this is true, but I succeeded really well going cold turkey when I cleaned up my diet.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:10 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also gave up things like candy, ice cream, and soda cold turkey. It worked out pretty well for me. I don't think I've had ice cream in 11 years.

One thing that I've done for about 10 years now, is I find one incredibly healthy but (to me) disgusting food every year, and I force feed it to myself until I learn to love it. When I started doing this I didn't really like very many vegetables, and now I'm already running out of vegetables that I don't like. Turnip Greens were probably the hardest thing to talk myself into.

Last edited by WCH : 02-03-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:46 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally have tried to eat vegetables, and it is so difficult. I just try to eat healthy within my boundaries. I haven't had pepperonis in two weeks (which is a BIG accomplishment for me), cut out the soda, and have drank a lot of water.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:58 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I also gave up things like candy, ice cream, and soda cold turkey. It worked out pretty well for me. I don't think I've had ice cream in 11 years.

One thing that I've done for about 10 years now, is I find one incredibly healthy but (to me) disgusting food every year, and I force feed it to myself until I learn to love it. When I started doing this I didn't really like very many vegetables, and now I'm already running out of vegetables that I don't like. Turnip Greens were probably the hardest thing to talk myself into.
This sounds like voodoo witchery or something. I'm never able to convince myself of anything like that.

I agree with the idea of making changes to your diet gradually. I lost 40 lbs. in 2013 without ever logging a calorie. I hate keeping track of that stuff. I know some people enjoy it or find it helpful. For me I just did a few things differently, gradually. Cut out soda, then cut out almost all alcohol, then stopped eating fast food, then stopped eating anything that wasn't grown or cut off of an animal. And the entire time I worked out 2-3 times a week, occasionally rode my bike to work, and always had cheat days built to stay sane.

Around Thanksgiving I hurt my leg and stopped a lot of that stuff. Gained back 10 unfortunate lbs. I am back in the gym 3x a week again but I am going to let the diet ride some until after my birthday in March, then go back to no beer or processed crap except on cheat days. I still don't drink soda though, it all tastes bad to me now.

Losing weight is simple, and IMO people are actually too hard on themselves with their restrictions. The hard part is developing and keeping patience and the will to make good food choices consistently.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:04 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Losing weight is simple, and IMO people are actually too hard on themselves with their restrictions. The hard part is developing and keeping patience and the will to make good food choices consistently.
So much this. Too many people trying to do extreme diets to get super ripped and end up getting burnt out instead of during something they can sustain to be healthy.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 02-03-2014, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If losing weight was simple, there wouldn't be so many fat people. Also, keep in mind there are variable that play a factor. It's easier for a 25 year old with lots of free time to work out than a 35 year old with a full time job and 2 kids.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:09 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

The concepts of losing weight are simple, people actually doing that **** is entirely upon themselves.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 02-03-2014, 12:15 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

Losing weight is simple.

Losing weight is difficult.

Both of those statements are true.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're creatures of habit. The difficulty for any of us to accomplish our goals is our willingness to break habits.

Losing weight/getting in shape is a prime example of that.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:18 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Cut out soda, then cut out almost all alcohol, then stopped eating fast food.
This is the best advice for people looking to cut weight. Drop sugared drinks, alcohol, and fast food.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
This is my problem. I still love fast food. Granted I make sure I have one cheat day, but there are a few instances that even when it's not my cheat day, I still am tempted to eat a few slices of pizza or go to McDonalds.

I've been mostly eating right, though. But it's hard to get out of the fast food habit at the moment.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:12 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

when i lost 50 pounds I would still eat out on the weekends, but never over ate. Weekdays I kept it pretty simple and some what healthy; gotta have those cheat days to keep you sane. I did that for a span of 4-5 months and lost a lot, but i was going to the gym 6 times a week and my workouts were pretty intense.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:22 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
This is my problem. I still love fast food. Granted I make sure I have one cheat day, but there are a few instances that even when it's not my cheat day, I still am tempted to eat a few slices of pizza or go to McDonalds.

I've been mostly eating right, though. But it's hard to get out of the fast food habit at the moment.
make your own pizza.