Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-13-2014, 09:54 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Complexes are no joke. Have no shame at reducing the weight... it adds up quick with all those reps and movements.
For sure. I like how changing weights completely changes the type of workout it is. I think doing the same complex with 95 lbs. and just doing a 10 minute AMRAP would be a hell of a conditioning workout.

Also, for those that want big traps, try hang cleans apparently. My traps are so sore today.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I miss the shrug bar at my last gym... nothing hit my traps as hard as that.
Now I'm using a hack squat machine (that has handles) to do shrugs... feeling it pretty good as well.

I'll give cleans a try as well. I do them once in a while. Not part of the normal routine.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:26 AM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, the shrug bar is nice. I usually do 3 different trap workouts each time.

I haven't been to the gym in a couple days, been busy.. I'm going to hit it HARD today which is stupid considering I have bowling league tonight. Haha.

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Three different shrug workouts? You mean shrugs three different ways? DBs, barbell and a shrug machine? Or... ?

I've been doing moderate weight since I've been back in November. I stay in the 8-10 reps per set. Nothing crazy. I used to cycle going moderate and heavy every other workout and I loved it. Going to re-visit that method and hitting it hard today with a heavy workout. It'll be 4 sets of 5 per workout. I'm pretty excited.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 AM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I meant three different ways... I do the seated dumbell shrug, then standing and then I use the barbell.. 4 sets of 12.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
I meant three different ways... I do the seated dumbell shrug, then standing and then I use the barbell.. 4 sets of 12.
That's an awful lot of wasted volume on a not so important exercise.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:59 AM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

I usually focus on one or two muscle groups per day, so it's not like I'm trying to throw that in while I'm doing legs/arms/chest/back or anything.

I do shoulder press and a lot more for shoulders typically.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

For shoulders I do

OHP, shoulder press, side and front lateral raises, upright rows, rear delts and shrugs

Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys have far more time than I do, apparently. I would just hit military press hard and throw in 2-3 assistance exercises.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:07 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

My workout splits are Chest and Tri's, Back and Bi's, Shoulders and traps, legs... repeat...

I could see just doing military press if you do just an all out upper body workout or just a Push workout... if you had a shoulder day, I'd assume it'd be more than just that

Old 02-13-2014, 11:25 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am trying to do like somebody said and have a lot of time off in between working a muscle. So I am now doing:

1. Chest / Tri
2. Bi / Forearm
3. Off day
4. Shoulders / upper back
5. Quad, ham, glute / middle and lower back
6. Calves
7. Off day

I have been hitting it harder than I have in months though. Failure sets often, which I haven't done much in the past.

Also started keto back.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Interesting splits. I've never seen them split up so specifically lol
I'll admit that I like a 4-day split because it'll be less than a week when I hit the same muscle groups. That's a main goal of mine though.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Interesting splits. I've never seen them split up so specifically lol
I'll admit that I like a 4-day split because it'll be less than a week when I hit the same muscle groups. That's a main goal of mine though.
I switch it up often. In the past year I've done something very targeted like above all the way to full body circuits (upper body one day, lower the next, repeat).

I also change up weights, as I have done these splits before but heavy sets and no off days. Same with circuits, I will switch between body weight central circuits (push-ups, dips, shoulder lifts with weights, pull-ups, chin ups, for an upper body, etc) or weighted (bench press, tricep extensions, curls, back flys, shrugs). Then there is non-weight lifting like basketball and boxing based cardio circuits.

I guess that is my way of keeping it interesting.

I would place calves in another group but I like where they are placed so that my back can get essentially a two-day rest without me actually being out of the gym for two days.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Wait, I just saw that.. you have a day just for calves? That sounds extreme lol

Old 02-13-2014, 11:56 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Well it's duration isn't as long as the other days. But I wanted a 7 day schedule for rest and to keep it on a weekly routine. Also, my calves are pretty nice now after working them consistently over the past year approximately, so I don't mind putting a lot of work into them. When I had them on other days, I didn't have the same results. I definitely needed to split them from the rest of legs.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Fair enough. Whatever works for you. I know my calves need a lot of work lol

Old 02-13-2014, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I need a program quick!

First time at the gym since a long time.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:31 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Just follow this.
http://www.mensfitness.com/training/...-muscle?page=2

Old 02-13-2014, 07:41 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I tried jumping medicine ball slams for the first time last week. I think I am going to have to include that for Sundays. It takes a lot of getting used to though.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:00 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I decided to add hiking 2 times a week for my cardio, I found some really cool trails near me.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:24 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

I probably shouldn't post while working out but putting 5 x 6 deadlifts towards the end of a big workout was a wee mistake.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:50 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
I probably shouldn't post while working out but putting 5 x 6 deadlifts towards the end of a big workout was a wee mistake.
Lol probably should've done those first broski.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I've joine MeetUp and am going to try to start trail running around here in San Diego. I need to start some sort of cardio besides basketball and treadmills suck.

My four day split... just for fun

Chest and Tri's

Back and Bi's

Shoulders and Traps

Legs

Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

No deadlifts on back day? For shame.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Deadlifts is on leg day.

Quote:
The deadlift is a compound movement that works a variety of muscles groups:
-The grip strength (finger flexors) and the lower back (erector spinae) work isometrically to keep the bar held in the hands and to keep the spine from rounding.
-The gluteus maximus and hamstrings work to extend the hip joint.
-The quadriceps work to extend the knee joint.
-The adductor magnus works to stabilize the legs.

Last edited by Nalej : 02-14-2014 at 09:36 AM.