Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-17-2014, 03:14 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
From a 700+ pound squatters' guide.

Food! Eat for ***** sake. Probably the best way to improve your recovery is to increase your food intake. Despite what Flex tells you, the road to bulk is not paved with tuna and oatmeal. Eat like you mean it. I often times eat more in one sitting than a crybaby "hardgainer" eats all goddamn day. When choosing what you eat, the first thing you want to look for is a protein. The more the better. Don't worry about 1 gram per lb of lean mass or any of that ********. Chances are if you're reading this, you're not at a level where you even need to consider that. Just get as much protein as you can, especially animal protein. You know like pieces of dead animals. Don't be afraid of fat and carbs either though, those will make you bigger. Here is a partial list of what I consider Growin' Food:

Corned Beef Hash (the grocery stores answer to Anadrol 50)
Chicken (fried, baked, BBQ'd whatever)
Beef
Pork
Fish
Mac and CheesePizza (especially with lots of meat)
Burrito's
Potatoes (mashed, au grattin, red skin, golden, whatever, just shove them down your gullet)

More or less, if it's full of protein, fat and carbs, you want it in your belly.

If you happen to be a skinny **** naturally, then you can go even crazier. Eat a pint of Ben and Jerry’s before you go to sleep. Set your alarm for the middle of the night, get up and down a pre-prepared protein shake and go back to bed. Most ectomorphs who think they're eating a lot aren't eating enough to feed a gerbil. Eat as much as your budget will allow you to. If you have more or less unlimited access to food, eat until you feel sick. When you don't feel sick, eat some more. I'm dead serious. This is especially true if you’ve got a lot of Growin’ Food handy.
It's tough for me to know where to draw the line with keto. I love to eat but I feel like keto is essentially wasted if im taking in too many calories. I can eat eggs, sausage, bacon, turkey burgers, and sausage all day but I don't want to waste my time.

However, there is no denying the effectiveness of keto. I'm not even a week back on it and I see results as far as definition and vascularity. That's after eating a couple gallons of icecream a week since November or so.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:30 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
The controversy over kipping gets under my skin. What's wrong with using your whole body to do some movements? That's no rule that says you always have to isolate movements to certain muscles. Gymnasts kip a lot and are quite strong.
i think people who hate on kippers are just miffed because kipping means the difference between 30-40 kipped pull-ups and 10-12 pull-ups with proper form.

i don't really mind when people kip, but i do get a quick laugh when i see it happen. it's just kind of goofy looking to see them jiggling all over the place doing pull-ups.

mute this video and skip to 2:20. it's just funny looking, is all.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kipping is whatever. Just don't brag that you can do 40 pullups and then pull that BS.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think there's a reason there's no other exercise that promotes using momentum.
But yeah, whatever, at the end of the day... Do you. I'm all for people getting into a more fit lifestyle whether it's spin classes, crossfit or lifting.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:20 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's the purpose of kipping instead of doing normal pull ups?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:24 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so you can say you did 100 pull-ups to your bros.

other than that, not sure...
Old 02-17-2014, 06:47 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I think there's a reason there's no other exercise that promotes using momentum.
Yeah, except olympic lifts, all kinds of sports and real life. If you need to lift something heavy in regular everyday life, do you try to using your whole body, or do you try to isolate like you're doing a bodybuilding workout?

I can promise you, Kendrick Farris wouldn't get under this bar without creating momentum.

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:53 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It really depends on what you want to do. If people are big into competing and serious about their lifting, I can see why not isolating would be a big deal. For functional strength and fitness, it's not really going to matter much.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Snatch is different. You don't use momentum to get the bar up in the first place. One rep's momentum does not carry over to the next rep, making it a helluva lot easier as compared to pull ups.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh yeah, I forgot about sports and real life. Thanks for the reminder. I definitely go to the gym and work out on sports and real life all the time
Right in between chest and back day. Silly of me
And Bosanac is right, he's not doing that for consecutive reps. Stay focused here.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, funny how some people want more from their workouts than making their muscles look bigger. Bodybuilding alone will make you a muscular stiff.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, funny how some people want more from their workouts than making their muscles look bigger. Bodybuilding alone will make you a muscular stiff.
There is a medium between Crossfit and Bodybuilding and that's called actual fitness. You know, working out because you enjoy it or because you want to live longer or because you have personal athletic goals like dunking or running a sub-x mile, but to prove your point that Crossfit is the best you go to the other extreme and call out the small minority that is body builders.

We get it, you do Crossfit. Awesome, go neglect the real point of working out to impress your crossfit friends and gain more imaginary points on RX workouts so you can make more crossfit friends. Just go work out and stop trying to convert everyone to Crossfit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's not how it works though. It is proven that lower reps, higher intensity is the most effective method in making people strong. Following with that thought, being strong is what makes you more effective at moving **** in real life.

Let's look at pullups. Doing real pullups to failure will make you stronger than doing kipped pullups to failure because the former is a higher intensity. Being stronger makes you more effective at pulling things in real life.

That's just a simple fact of training.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
That's not how it works though. It is proven that lower reps, higher intensity is the most effective method in making people strong. Following with that thought, being strong is what makes you more effective at moving **** in real life.

Let's look at pullups. Doing real pullups to failure will make you stronger than doing kipped pullups to failure because the former is a higher intensity. Being stronger makes you more effective at pulling things in real life.

That's just a simple fact of training.
There's nothing wrong with strength training, but I want well rounded fitness. I have no desire to be the guy who's really strong, but has poor flexibility, joint mobility and endurance.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "real pullup". I've never seen an artificial pullup. I've also never seen any rule that says you have to choose and stick with one form of doing a pullup. I know for a fact that there are people that practice multiple forms: http://www.crossfitmayhem.com/2012/12/18/12182012/

Old 02-17-2014, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with strength training, but I want well rounded fitness. I have no desire to be the guy who's really strong, but has poor flexibility, joint mobility and endurance.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "real pullup". I've never seen an artificial pullup. I've also never seen any rule that says you have to choose and stick with one form of doing a pullup. I know for a fact that there are people that practice multiple forms: http://www.crossfitmayhem.com/2012/12/18/12182012/
Fine. A 'classical' pullup. It's clear you're just being a douche at this point.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dude... If you want endurance, swim. If you want flexibility and joint mobility, stretch dynamically.

All that endurance is no good if you can't function because you hurt yourself crossfitting.

Quote:
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nah, bro. Trust me... I love being real strong with poor flexibility, joint mobility and endurance. Because when you strength train, you're not allowed to do things like run or stretch. All that extra stuff is overrated.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:04 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Nah, bro. Trust me... I love being real strong with poor flexibility, joint mobility and endurance. Because when you strength train, you're not allowed to do things like run or stretch. All that extra stuff is overrated.
Not to mention actually doing good compound lifts like Snatch and Jerk in a safe, controlled manner. Nope, CrossFit owns those.

Quote:

Old 02-17-2014, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

In CrossFit you're only allowed to do artificial pullups and being safe is sooooo lame.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:33 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Most strenuous exercise I have had was moving houses this past summer. That´s some tough ish for anybody. And there were skinny guys who were far better at it than some of the bigger fellows.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:28 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lets all just do yoga, i got an extra yoga mat for who wants to join me

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:37 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey Jake doing any plyometrics at all ?

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think both sides are bringing baggage from other arguments on the internet into this discussion. No one here is trying to say everyone should do Crossfit, or that it is the best way, the only way. Who is trying to "convert" anyone? Halsey at most is defending CF as valid, where did he or anyone else say that only CF is the right way to work out? I know the internet is full of dorks that do act like that (just like it's full of dorks that find the most embarrassing CF videos and universally apply them to all things CF), but do you see anyone here doing that?

To me kipping pull-ups are not for strength training, they're an aerobic and gymnastic movement. Sure they take strength, but also coordination and endurance. It's not "cheating" because it's not an alternative way of doing a pull-up. It's a different movement. A lot of the kipping comments I see could also be said about cheat reps and negatives.

I think a lot of folks get too overprotective about the way they work out and try to downgrade other methods. IMO it doesn't matter. If you are getting consistently stronger, faster, leaner, and healthier and you aren't hurting yourself in the process, then do it.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
I mean, this is pretty bad. Furthermore, none if us have even mentioned a bodybuilding routine, so it's clear there is a lack if understanding here. Hell, I may be the most anti bodybuilding guy here.