Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-04-2014, 12:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually a baseball would probably be perfect. You'll get way more pressure using a baseball or lacrosse ball.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:09 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah the metal rod might be hard to use on yourself.

Without context this is a funny thing to say.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe if I use some kind of lubrication it will slide back and forth with more ease?
Old 03-04-2014, 01:53 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

May need to ask a friend to help put the right angle and pressure on it.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Yeah it'll definitely feel better if a friend does it for sure.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anybody here ever done calisthenics seriously? one of my buddies and i have been getting into it lately and i love it.

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:08 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

i will break the legs of the next person i find doing curls or shrugs or anything other than squats in the squat rack.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is plenty you can do with a squat rack. Curls, no. But squats aren't the only use.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:16 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I should take pictures of everytime the squat rack isn't used for squats. I can understand maybe deadlifts or even military presses, but the other day I saw these guys using the squat rack to do pull ups when there are 3 open pull up bars to their right. I wanted to throw a 10 pound dumbbell at them as they were doing it.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:34 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
There is plenty you can do with a squat rack. Curls, no. But squats aren't the only use.
there are other places you can do all of those things that don't prevent me from doing the only thing you can't do without a squat rack. you're being a prick if you use it for anything other than squats.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm so lucky to be the only one using it at my gym.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:50 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I started doing my deadlifts at the bench press area just taking the bar off of there and using it. I'd be lucky to get a squat in at my gym so I usually end up doing dumbbell squats because I hate waiting.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
there are other places you can do all of those things that don't prevent me from doing the only thing you can't do without a squat rack. you're being a prick if you use it for anything other than squats.
I think it is fine for OHP, but other than that I pretty much agree.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:59 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I think it is fine for OHP, but other than that I pretty much agree.
meh. use dumbbells.

that said, i've never seen anyone use ours for overheads, so that's not really been an issue.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
meh. use dumbbells.

that said, i've never seen anyone use ours for overheads, so that's not really been an issue.
If you're not moving much weight, fine. But I'm not doing a heavy-ish hang clean right before a max effort set.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
If you're not moving much weight, fine. But I'm not doing a heavy-ish hang clean right before a max effort set.
i've certainly never seen anyone use it to press anything that was heavy enough to make a difference there. but fair enough. you're not a prick if you use the squat rack to press 200ish pounds.

i'll even allow for people doing cleans/deadlifts, if the benches nearby are in use, since there aren't very many other places with enough space.

but curls? shrugs? i'll kill your family.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
i've certainly never seen anyone use it to press anything that was heavy enough to make a difference there. but fair enough. you're not a prick if you use the squat rack to press 200ish pounds.

i'll even allow for people doing cleans/deadlifts, if the benches nearby are in use, since there aren't very many other places with enough space.

but curls? shrugs? i'll kill your family.
Yeah, I was strict-pushing 185 for my heavy set back in the day, so **** you if you're going to kick me out to probably squat less than that. But, I do 100% agree with the sentiment. I'm just cool with OHP as the only other acceptable workout.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:54 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Back day's just been doing rack pulls, weighted pull ups, pull downs, and more isolation type exercises. Excited to do dead lifts tomorrow. Haven't dont traditional dead lifts for a couple months, before i stopped dead lifting for about a month more out of boredom I had been doing sumo. I think a lot of the isolation work I've been doing and 4 to 5 rep sets will help my deadlift. If I can do 275 5 or 6 reps I will be very happy.

BTW I'm feeling so good on the bench. All of the accessory work I've been doing with my triceps and shoulders has indirectly helped my bench a ton. I'm repping 315 about 3 1/2 reps, and even on my dropdown to 275 I'm doing 7-8 reps. I'm going to be starting cutting in a few weeks and honestly its not the diet that kills me. I get so busy during the week at work that honestly dieting isn't an issue, its the cardio thats killer. I'm going to try to do stair master 30 mins 3 days a week, and maybe screw around on the row machine or Jacobs ladder to try to keep things interesting. Unfortunately with my bad knees I can't run or play ball like I used to. Hopefully by summer time I will be fairly lean with my new built muscle. I'm trying to avoid major strength decreases on the cut.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I've always been hesitant of doing deadlifts with regularity bc of my back injury, but I've decided I'm going to start doing it consistently starting today (as part of back day).

Any advice? If I'm squatting 190, what weight range should I start out with for dead lifts?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:14 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

Start with some light weight, something you're comfortable with and work on your form. I've seen a ton of people jerk using their back with heavy weights and that's how you **** up your back.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantx View Post
Start with some light weight, something you're comfortable with and work on your form. I've seen a ton of people jerk using their back with heavy weights and that's how you **** up your back.
This is correct. Build up to it and when you feel form breaking down, even slightly, you've found your max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I've always been hesitant of doing deadlifts with regularity bc of my back injury, but I've decided I'm going to start doing it consistently starting today (as part of back day).

Any advice? If I'm squatting 190, what weight range should I start out with for dead lifts?
For most novices, their DL trends slightly above their squat. You can probably DL in the 200 range. That said, you squat in the smith machine and idk if you are counting that bar to to weigh anything....if you are, you shouldn't.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:34 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Why doesn't the bar count?
Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you have back issues then start really light with deadlifts, as in spend the first few sessions doing a weight you barely even notice and get someone to make sure your form is good before building the weight gradually. No need to be a hero on them as they are one of the worst for injury if you do it wrong and one of the best for avoiding future back issues if done correctly because they are amazing for the stabilizing muscles.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Why doesn't the bar count?
Because the bar has pretty much no weight on a smith machine. There is a reason you can move it with ease using just your pinky.

Last edited by Rob S : 03-05-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:16 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smith machine... haven't used one in years. Made me feel good about my bench press though.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote