Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-05-2014, 10:17 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well ****, I guess I'm squatting way less than I thought then.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why do you use the smith machine?

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Why do you use the smith machine?
I've told him to get a different gym. Apparently no success thus far.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah it will be a rude awakening. The squat will be even less than you anticipate because the whole motion will feel different.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah we've gone over this many times. I'd ditch the gym if I could, but so far no dice.

I'm not gonna drive 20 minutes to another gym. That's just too far and I'm pretty confident I wouldn't go nearly as much if I attempted to try that.

Unless I go to planet fitness, which is just terrible and wouldn't make any difference.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Yeah it will be a rude awakening. The squat will be even less than you anticipate because the whole motion will feel different.
Yup. I'd peg his max at ~135. You lose 45 lbs. on the bar and at least 10 lbs. to stabilize.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Squatting over 275 hurts so much.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Well this sucks donkey balls.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wootylicous View Post
Squatting over 275 hurts so much.
Do you squat low bar or high bar? Switching to low bar helped solidify my base a lot. Just a much more comfortable motion overall imo.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:19 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Well this sucks donkey balls.
I want to encourage you to keep at it but without a baseline of equipment, it is pretty difficult to do some of the basics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Do you squat low bar or high bar? Switching to low bar helped solidify my base a lot. Just a much more comfortable motion overall imo.
I would agree with this. I don't even try high-bar unless I am doing something low-weight and high-rep.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

What if I do cleans? Would that be a viable substitute? I'm reading that if you use a clean to front squat motion that can effectively replace the squat?

I'd obviously use less weight but who cares right? They have a single 45 lb bar that I can use, but no racks to put it on.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:54 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think learning to power clean would be hugely beneficial, and my love for front squats is kind of ridiculous. I think that sounds like a good plan BBD. I somehow didn't think that was an option at your gym.

I would not say front squats are equal to or better than standard squats, exactly. But they're better than anything in the Smith machine, better than leg press, etc. A combo of DL (which you are going to do anyway), power cleans (these get fun once you get the technique down), and front squats (YEAAHHH FRONT SQUATS) would be a fine way to work around your gym's shortcomings.

You will want to keep the weight low while learning form. Obviously cleaning the bar up to front rack position is more difficult than getting up under a racked bar.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-05-2014, 12:07 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Power clean technique is so hard to get right. If you thought DL and Squats where hard, these are another level.

But it is fun once you learn it and can do it right.

Last edited by brat316 : 03-05-2014 at 12:19 PM.
brat316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:16 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I've always been hesitant of doing deadlifts with regularity bc of my back injury, but I've decided I'm going to start doing it consistently starting today (as part of back day).

Any advice? If I'm squatting 190, what weight range should I start out with for dead lifts?

start with the bar and work your way up. Form, Form, Form.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:18 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Yeah I suppose it took me a while to learn power cleans. It definitely helped learning from a coach.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-05-2014, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Power cleans are tough, but a great exercise. As far as combining it with front squats as your main squatting motion....this is a recipe for disaster. You are not going to be able to clean nearly enough weight to train squat adequately.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:34 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Power cleans are tough, but a great exercise. As far as combining it with front squats as your main squatting motion....this is a recipe for disaster. You are not going to be able to clean nearly enough weight to train squat adequately.
I can't agree. In a gym with everything he needs, sure. But where his alternative is the Smith machine, this seems like the best alternative. What else is there that hasn't already been suggested?

It isn't ideal, but his gym isn't ideal.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-05-2014, 01:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Well, after googling all day today, I found a gym that's 20 minutes away that has a squat rack.

I'm going to check it out today after work. The question for me is, will I have the commitment to drive 20 minutes 1 way to a gym every day, or every other day when I already spend 3 hours a day commuting to and from work?

That type of driving is taxing, and someitmes I feel worn out, which is why having a gym 2 blocks away that was open 24/7 was clutch for my needs at the time.

But if this gym is doable, I might switch over.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I would say at least try it for a month. How often do you go now? With a higher-quality workout you may not need to go as often.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-05-2014, 01:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I've been inconsistent the past 2 months bc of various knee and back injuries, but I typically do 4 to 5 days a week.

If this gym has a squat rack, I might change my routine where I do a true 5X5 that only requires 3 days a week.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:01 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
I've been inconsistent the past 2 months bc of various knee and back injuries, but I typically do 4 to 5 days a week.

If this gym has a squat rack, I might change my routine where I do a true 5X5 that only requires 3 days a week.
Do it, for sure.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-05-2014, 02:18 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I can't agree. In a gym with everything he needs, sure. But where his alternative is the Smith machine, this seems like the best alternative. What else is there that hasn't already been suggested?

It isn't ideal, but his gym isn't ideal.
I would say don't squat and do sumo deads or something. At his level of strength, he's probably cleaning 95ish and that is basically useless as a squat.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:23 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
I would say don't squat and do sumo deads or something. At his level of strength, he's probably cleaning 95ish and that is basically useless as a squat.
I've never found sumo stance comfortable so to be honest I didn't even think of that. But that is probably a better option. I do still like the idea of learning power cleans though.

But the even better option is to go to that other gym BBD.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-05-2014, 03:13 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's the one thing I hate about my gym, they don't have a squat rack, just a Smith machine. And I love squats. It was by far my best exercise when I started lifting weights in high school.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:02 PM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got about halfway through writing down my back/bi routine before I realized that I don't know what half of the exercises are called.