Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 11-08-2009, 10:27 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan43 View Post
I HAtE this way of thinking. How are carbs bad? Calories? why dont you go on a 0 calorie diet for a year or two. they are the supposed to be the main fuel for your body
there are good carbs and bad carbs. Calories can come from other things then carbs, but most of the time its from carbs. If you cut calories you essentially want to cut out bad carbs your taking in. If you increase calories you want to increase good carbs.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:29 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
there are good carbs and bad carbs. Calories can come from other things then carbs, but most of the time its from carbs. If you cut calories you essentially want to cut out bad carbs your taking in. If you increase calories you want to increase good carbs.

The only "bad carbs" are processed products that everyone knows is bad for you to eat in the first place. People who wont eat bread or potatos because they think carbs are bad piss me off.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:33 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The only "bad carbs" are processed products that everyone knows is bad for you to eat in the first place. People who wont eat bread or potatos because they think carbs are bad piss me off.
Those types aren't in this thread, well white bread is bad. Potatoes are an excellent way to increase your calories.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:38 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Those types aren't in this thread, well white bread is bad. Potatoes are an excellent way to increase your calories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I pretty much dont eat carbs (altho I am considering going paleo), so I take in quite a bit of protein. Most days around 1.5 g/lb and a lot of times more.
Seems like there are those types.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:39 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I never noticed but it looks like 4 big black dudes are gang raping that white guy in your sig
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
I never noticed but it looks like 4 big black dudes are gang raping that white guy in your sig
I never realized it either. ahahha, #4 grabbing him by the neck hahha and 5 cheering him on.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Seems like there are those types.
Oh man Rob S is one well informed guy about these type of things. He knows what he is doing and talking about. I think right now he is going through his cutting phase so he limits his intake. Again the best way to cut calories is to cut the carbs, or keep them at a min.

I thought you were talking about women, who won't eat healthy, good carbs, but will drink a whole bottle of diet coke, cause it has less carbs. Now this is dumb.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
running or swimming, push ups, pull ups and sit ups. those are those are the only exercises you need. weight lifting is for chumps
I was going to teach you about the value of low carb diets and why I choose to follow one, but this post made me realize its not worth the effort. If you dont see the value of heavy lifting for max strength gains, you simply don't know what your talking about and have not researched exercise at all. I will just assume you did the same regarding diet.

Last edited by Rob S : 11-09-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:59 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I was going to teach you about the value of low carb diets and why I choose to follow one, but this post made me realize its not worth the effort. If you dont see the value of heavy lifting for max strength gains, you simply don't know what your talking about.
See I have a question how do I go about it low carb diet and the value of it for me. I'm a vegetarian, and my post work out meal usually is whey shake, brown rice and broccoli, or sometimes mashed potatoes. Now how the f do i low carb it? I only can eat so much yogurt in a day. I know it'll help me cut fat from my sides and stomach, but those PWO meal carbs shouldn't effect me as much, but what about the rest of my day? Should I just stick to fruits, salads and yogurt for the rest of my day?
Old 11-09-2009, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
See I have a question how do I go about it low carb diet and the value of it for me. I'm a vegetarian, and my post work out meal usually is whey shake, brown rice and broccoli, or sometimes mashed potatoes. Now how the f do i low carb it? I only can eat so much yogurt in a day. I know it'll help me cut fat from my sides and stomach, but those PWO meal carbs shouldn't effect me as much, but what about the rest of my day? Should I just stick to fruits, salads and yogurt for the rest of my day?
You can eat the brown rice an whatnot after your work out. I have no issue there. Its just that carbs at other times are tough to digest and the body doesnt really use them effectively. Being a vegetarian is a bit rough, but I would say for 2 PWO meals (within like 4-6 hours of WO) go ahead and eat carbs (unless you are cutting, just eat carbs for the first one then). For your other meals tho, go for a lean protein source (I dont know what, maybe fish if you eat it) and get your carbs from veggies and eat as much of those as you want. If you are not cutting, feel free to load up on fruit also (especially PWO). Hope this helps you......if you have some more specific questions jusr PM me with your goals and stuff and I can give a more detailed type of response.

** Also, if you are cutting I would stay away from dairy unless its before bed. It messes a little with insulin levels. If you are bulking tho, milk is your best friend. Around 1/2 a gallon a day will do wonders.

** Also, drink Gatorade when you work out, its really important and whoops waters ass. Throw some protein in as well. Powdered is better than the pre made, but if you cant find it its all good.

Last edited by Rob S : 11-09-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

white bread is processed btw and is pretty terrible for you.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:37 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carbs = vegetables, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and that really healthy bread that they have in the frozen section of health food stores (forget the name)

Avoid = white bread/floud, white rice, too much fruit (like oranges)

Rob S: You said that milk is good for bulking - which I already knew - but how much is 1/2 a gallon? At the cafeteria we have small glasses so how many should I take per meal? I usually grab 3-4 but I see some guys with 6+ where they basically have a tray of milk with one dish + maybe a side dish.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Carbs = vegetables, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and that really healthy bread that they have in the frozen section of health food stores (forget the name)

Avoid = white bread/floud, white rice, too much fruit (like oranges)

Rob S: You said that milk is good for bulking - which I already knew - but how much is 1/2 a gallon? At the cafeteria we have small glasses so how many should I take per meal? I usually grab 3-4 but I see some guys with 6+ where they basically have a tray of milk with one dish + maybe a side dish.
1/2 gallon is 64 oz or 8 cups. If you are drinking whole milk that will add around 1200 calories on top of your daily food consumption. Some people need to go for a full gallon tho depending on their body type.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1/2 gallon is 64 oz or 8 cups. If you are drinking whole milk that will add around 1200 calories on top of your daily food consumption. Some people need to go for a full gallon tho depending on their body type.
I have 3 cups just in my breakfast. Currently bulking.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:40 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As far as the carb argument goes here, it has nothing to do with being processed or not. However, being processed generally is a good rule of thumb on which carbs to avoid.

In any case, the very very simplified reason to avoid "bad" carbs is this.

Bad carbs = sugary carbs that are quick digesting and are absorbed into the blood stream very fast. Things like White bread, candy, milkshakes, pop... etc etc = fast absorping carbs.

When these carbs are absorbed into your blood stream very fast, your body has to secrete insulin and store the sugar in your liver so as to stop from overloading your blood stream with too much sugar. Because of this, your body also goes into fat storing mode, and your metabolism suddenly slows down a ton. (ever wonder what the "crash" is from in energy drinks? It's not the caffeine, it's the sugar).

So long story short, bad carbs = they slow your metabolism down and force your body into more of a fat storing mode.

Good carbs take longer to digest since they're longer chains and your stomach can't break them down as quick. Believe it or not, fat also increases absorption time, so it's actually not that bad to have some fat with a very sugary meal (assuming it's not terrible fat.. which is another discussion in itself). Fiber also slows sugar absorption.

So whoever said what he said about carbs. Please read up and know what you're talking about before spouting off. In the end, low or no carb diets are terrible for you. (i'd say even worse than not dieting at all, but thats another thread full of my wisdom.) But too many carbs is also bad for you. Eat whole foods, eat balanced, and don't overeat. Don't complicate things. :)
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
As far as the carb argument goes here, it has nothing to do with being processed or not. However, being processed generally is a good rule of thumb on which carbs to avoid.

In any case, the very very simplified reason to avoid "bad" carbs is this.

Bad carbs = sugary carbs that are quick digesting and are absorbed into the blood stream very fast. Things like White bread, candy, milkshakes, pop... etc etc = fast absorping carbs.

When these carbs are absorbed into your blood stream very fast, your body has to secrete insulin and store the sugar in your liver so as to stop from overloading your blood stream with too much sugar. Because of this, your body also goes into fat storing mode, and your metabolism suddenly slows down a ton. (ever wonder what the "crash" is from in energy drinks? It's not the caffeine, it's the sugar).

So long story short, bad carbs = they slow your metabolism down and force your body into more of a fat storing mode.

Good carbs take longer to digest since they're longer chains and your stomach can't break them down as quick. Believe it or not, fat also increases absorption time, so it's actually not that bad to have some fat with a very sugary meal (assuming it's not terrible fat.. which is another discussion in itself). Fiber also slows sugar absorption.

So whoever said what he said about carbs. Please read up and know what you're talking about before spouting off. In the end, low or no carb diets are terrible for you. (i'd say even worse than not dieting at all, but thats another thread full of my wisdom.) But too many carbs is also bad for you. Eat whole foods, eat balanced, and don't overeat. Don't complicate things. :)

I can tell you from experience that keto diets have their place. I would say at least 50 percent of people I know are carb intolerant and cant keep their weight at the class they want when eating even good carbs such as brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc. Hell, I know a few fighters that cant even eat greens because their weight increases with the added carbs. If you are trying to gain, carbs are all good, but if you are looking to maintain they must be limited and if you are cutting, most people (from my experience) need to limit them to only post workout.

Last edited by Rob S : 11-09-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Around 1/2 a gallon a day will do wonders.
Holy ******* ****, that's a lot of milk, man.

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 AM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I can tell you from experience that keto diets have their place. I would say at least 50 percent of people I know are carb intolerant and cant keep their weight at the class they want when eating even good carbs such as brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc. Hell, I know a few fighters that cant even eat greens because their weight increases with the added carbs. If you are trying to gain, carbs are all good, but if you are looking to maintain they must be limited and if you are cutting, most people (from my experience) need to limit them to only post workout.
Calories vs. calories out. If i ate 1500 calories of almost all carbs i would still lose weight.

Keto diets work but why give up on delicious carbs?

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.

Last edited by bernbabybern820 : 11-10-2009 at 07:34 AM.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
Calories vs. calories out. If i ate 1500 calories of almost all carbs i would still lose weight.

Keto diets work but why give up on delicious carbs?
Because if I ate a 1500 calories diet with carbs I would be starving. 1500 with protein as a large percentage is far more manageable. Plus I would probabaly lose a ton of muscle.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:02 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
OK I'm on the right track then. I have milk in my cereal, protein shakes, plus in glasses with my meals.

And what do you mean by body type? You mean people who have smaller frames that have trouble putting on weight, or vice versa?

I've reached a new peak at 195.5....so close to 2:):)

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-11-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
wordofi
Veteran

wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I have 3 cups just in my breakfast. Currently bulking.
Bulking is terrible advice. That means you're going to eat junk food and think that since you're 15 lbs. heavier, you'll think it's all muscle when it's mostly fat. Also, you can be lean all the time as opposed to part of the time.
wordofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordofi View Post
Bulking is terrible advice. That means you're going to eat junk food and think that since you're 15 lbs. heavier, you'll think it's all muscle when it's mostly fat. Also, you can be lean all the time as opposed to part of the time.
ahahhaahhahaha....hahahah.

Yes when you bulk you'll get some fat, but that fat can be easily worked off.

Remember when you bulk, your lifiting, so your burning off calories, so you want to increase your calories, so you muscles have extra to feed off of and grow. Also it depends what you eat, if you have no idea what your doing yeah you'll eat a lot more junk food and fats then you should. If you do know what your doing, you'll avoid most junk foods and stick to healthy foods, thus having less fat.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:01 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Umm....no.

Bulking doesn't mean you should grab the Twinkies and Joe Louis and much away....it just means you can eat more and have a higher calorie intake.

The whole concept of junk food is that there are no positive health benefits to it....it's junk.

When you're bulking, you're eating a lot of calories but you should still eat food that's nutritious. Milk, for example has protein, calcium and other vitamins.

You will put on fat when you're bulking but it won't be bad fat, it won't be noticeable and your BF% shouldn't go up. I've put on 10-15 lbs. since September and I've just become more solid. The weight isn't all muscle but I still don't have fat protruding all over me.

Bulking isn't for everyone though. Only do it if you want to look bigger and/or need to get bigger for sport. I'm doing it for both.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 11-12-2009, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

God, some posts are brutal to read.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:06 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, stop.

I know how to bulk. I've done it before. I don't eat junk food and I count my calories. I know quite a bit about nutrition. The only fat in my diet comes from milk, peanut butter, olive oil, eggs, and the little that there is on my meats. Don't make gross assumptions that I'm picking up sugary carbs and stuffing my face convincing myself that it will in turn, build muscle and help with my strength gains.

It's very true that you can be lean all the time as opposed to a part of the time. Thing is, I can still be lean while bulking. My BF doesn't skyrocket, as it shouldn't.

My goal is to get to 200 pounds with <10% BF. I'm currently 176 with 13%. Realistically, I expect to be able to reach my goal a year from now if I continue to do it right.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote