Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-14-2010, 11:51 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
is it possible to gain strength through weight training with out gaining significant weight?
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoldin View Post
Hey guys. Casual reader of the Weight-Lifting thread, first time poster of such.

Here's my current dilemma. I'm not exactly a gym rat, far from the fact actually, I've just never had the motivation to really spend time there. Most of the time I would get through lacrosse and basketball just being superiorly physical then most. I do have a lot of strength for someone who's never been in a real program. 6 feet even, 180 pounds. A little bit of chub, but not tons.

Lacrosse try-outs are just around the corner, and being drafted this past month, I've found myself going to a top team that has a very invigorating fitness program. It's straight up intense, and while I'm going to reap the benefits from it in the long run, I've found myself just how out of shape I am, and just how strong and ripped I could be.

I've started working out Monday, Wednesday and Friday with at least one run per week. I'm starting to eat with more regards to my body. I'm trying to lose some of that 180 that's fat and turn it into muscle. I haven't found a great work-out program yet for lacrosse. Does anyone have something to recommend? I would follow it to a tee and if I reap the benefits I'd be very gracious.

I figure dead-lifts, squats, and a lot of leg work is the prescription, but whatever you guys have to share is definitely appreciated. Thanks, and +rep to anyone that can help me out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiWolves View Post
Well theres 5 main exercises that you should do when you lift and they are bench, military press, hang clean/deadlift, squats and pull ups.
Exactly. Obviously you want to work on conditioning with cardio and that will be where most of that chub comes off if you pair it with a strong diet but as far as gaining strength I would recommend Rippetoes...

What is it?
Rippetoes is a strength program designed by Mark Rippetoe. It is designed mainly for beginners to give them a good strength base.

Who can benefit from it?
Though Rippetoe's is aimed at beginners, anyone can truly benefit from it.

Can I gain mass while on Rippetoe's?
Yes. The routine is aimed towards strength, but you can still make gains off of it so long as you're eating enough.

How much strength can I gain on this program?
You should be getting noticably stronger each workout. Aim to put 2.5 lbs
atleast on the bar each workout. If you absolutely can't add weight, do the weight you did last workout and move up the next.

Is Rippetoe's for everyone?
No. Most everyone can benefit from this, but for those who can't, look into one of the beginner routines posted in a sticky.

So here it is.

*do the SAME weight for all 3 sets

Workout A:
Squat-3x5
Bench Press-3x5
Deadlift-1x5
*2x8 Dips

Workout B:
Squat-3x5
Standing Military Press-3x5
Power Cleans(or Bent Over Barbell Rows)-3x5
*2x8 Chinups(palms facing you)

Week 1:
Day 1: Workout A
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Workout B
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Workout A
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

Week 2
Day 1: Workout B
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Workout A
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Workout B
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Rest

Rotate between weeks 1 & 2.

or a 5x5. Can't seem to find one off the top of my head but if you look around the interwebz, there are many out there.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Iboldin, the one TJ posted is great for beginners. IF you wanted to try something a little more difficult (and I think you can handle it since your athletic), try this :

http://nutribody.com/blog/post/Bill-...5-Workout.aspx.

It's the intermediate version of the workout TJ posted. Only thing I would do is throw in some power cleans on deadlift day.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:55 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just started lifting again this past week. I am so sore I can barely even handle it at work.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:59 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Iboldin, the one TJ posted is great for beginners. IF you wanted to try something a little more difficult (and I think you can handle it since your athletic), try this :

http://nutribody.com/blog/post/Bill-...5-Workout.aspx.

It's the intermediate version of the workout TJ posted. Only thing I would do is throw in some power cleans on deadlift day.
Exactly. You could really do either based on self evaluating yourself on pre-existing strength, experience, endurance, etc,. Really up to and how much you think you can handle but either way, you will have to put in valuable work and time. The good thing about that, is that it's well worth it.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:35 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've never tried doing squats twice a week. How far do you space them out and do you do other leg lifts that day or what?

Is it necessary? I feel like it might be overworking it.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just had a beast ab workout. I ******* hate floorwipers.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:45 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
I've never tried doing squats twice a week. How far do you space them out and do you do other leg lifts that day or what?

Is it necessary? I feel like it might be overworking it.
It's part of my program I'm running for 11 weeks. I'm in week 5 right now and I don't mind it at all. I'm rested well enough to go heavy both days. I go Upper Body, Lower Body, Strictly Cardio Day, Rest, Repeat.

Lower Body:
Back Squat 3x10
Front Squat 3x6
Leg Press 3x6
Leg Extension 2x10
Leg Curls 2x10
Calf Raises 2x10

Old 02-14-2010, 02:54 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You should send me that workout if you get the time. I'd like to take a looksy at it.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You actually squat three times a week on the 5x5. It sucks at the beginning, not going to lie, but once your body adjusts you don't feel overworked.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:59 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
You should send me that workout if you get the time. I'd like to take a looksy at it.
It's my own variation on the Miami (FL) Workout.

I'm going to PM it to you for the sake of space.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:24 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also might want to see that if it's alright. Might be time for me to try a more advanced routine.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:33 PM    (permalink
KobeBryant833
Rookie

KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some sweet workout plans. We used Boise States last year ill see if i can post it. any suggestions on gaining weight and strength?
KobeBryant833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:33 PM    (permalink
KobeBryant833
Rookie

KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like any proteins, ect,,,
KobeBryant833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:54 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeBryant833 View Post
Some sweet workout plans. We used Boise States last year ill see if i can post it. any suggestions on gaining weight and strength?
Quote:
Like any proteins, ect,,,
Don't buy a Mass Gainer if that's what you're looking at. I find it better if I make my own.

As for Protein, I like Optimumn Nutrition 100% Whey.

As for my Mass Gainer, I use:

2 scoops Whey Protein
Whole Milk
Fruit
Dry Oats
Almonds or Peanut Butter

And blend it. Tasty as well.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:08 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Look a few pages back...someone posted a whole lot of college workouts. LSU, Miami, Boise and a bunch more.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:19 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm considering doing this. Normally I work out 5-6 times a week. Is every day too much?

Mon-Biceps/Back/Shoulders

Tues-Chest/Tri/Abs

Wed-Cardio

Thurs-Biceps/Back/Shoulds/Abs

Fr-Cardio

Sat-Chest/Tri/Abs

Sunday- Legs
Old 02-14-2010, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Look a few pages back...someone posted a whole lot of college workouts. LSU, Miami, Boise and a bunch more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Monday Upper Body
Bench Press 3 sets of 10 reps
Lat Pull down 3 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Incline Press 4 sets of 5 reps
Standing Dumbbell Press 3 sets of 6 reps
Dips 50 reps

Tuesday Lower Body
Back Squat 3 sets of 10 reps
Front Squat 3 sets of 5 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets of 10 reps
Leg Extensions 2 sets of 10 reps
Leg Curl 2 sets of 10 reps

Wednesday
Cardiovascular exercises

Thursday Upper Body
Incline Bench 3 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Row 3 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Bench 4 sets of 5 reps
Military Press 3 sets of 6 reps
Arm Curls 3 sets of 10 reps

Friday Lower Body
Back Squat 3 sets of 10 reps
Lunges 3 sets of 6 reps
Leg Curls 2 sets of 10 reps
Leg Extensions 2 sets of 10 reps
Calf Raises 2 sets of 10 reps

Saturday
Cardiovascular exercises

Sunday
Rest

Also,

Wyoming's strength and conditioning for football players.
http://www.uwyo.edu/uwstrength/info.asp?p=9014

Nevada's 8 week, 4 day split
http://www.nevadawolfpack.com/ViewAr...&ATCLID=530205

Clemson's power program, Warning 58 page .pdf
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3228494/Clemson

LSU's 8 week program from 2008
http://summer.stack.com/Content/Site...0000006915.pdf

Cincy's 8 week program for signees, password: bearcats
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...vel-signee.pdf

There's a bunch of smaller schools I've seen workouts for if anyone would be interested in them.

I know there are a bunch of kids that actually play football unlike me that would be interested in programs that schools run. I have a bunch of links saved that include D1 schools like the ones listed (including Florida's bunch you have to download it) all the way to D3 schools. So if anyone is looking to play ball at any of those levels, I have sample programs for each.
First one is Miami's.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I'm considering doing this. Normally I work out 5-6 times a week. Is every day too much?

Mon-Biceps/Back/Shoulders

Tues-Chest/Tri/Abs

Wed-Cardio

Thurs-Biceps/Back/Shoulds/Abs

Fr-Cardio

Sat-Chest/Tri/Abs

Sunday- Legs
I like to give myself a day in between workout sets to rest. For example, a set for me would be Upper, Lower, Cardio then I'll take a rest day and repeat. But, if you can handle it then go for it. More power to you.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:53 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

I think a lot of people make the mistake of doing Abs to often. You get your abs in a good deal of the other lifts you do anyways. There really isn't a need to specifically hit abs 3+ times a week.

they get smoked.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:46 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think a lot of people make the mistake of doing Abs to often. You get your abs in a good deal of the other lifts you do anyways. There really isn't a need to specifically hit abs 3+ times a week.

My ab exercises are nothing extensive. Normally just some crunches/twists with weight. Then maybe some regular sit-ups/crunches before bed.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:54 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

To build abs, working out helps. To see your abs, I'm convinced it's diet.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:05 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

What are your most hated exercises?

For me,

1. Floorwipers
2. Deadlifts
3. Pull-ups
4. Lunges
5. Russian Twists
Old 02-15-2010, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Squats- I just can not do them.
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hated? Squats and lunges! ugh!

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the exercises you hate the most is the one that's the most beneficial to you.

If you hate squats so much, try box squats. My most hated workout would probably be power cleans, my wrists hurt.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote