Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 11-26-2010, 05:54 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LL, it all means nothing if you're slow. If I were to play College Football next year I would not worry once I got past 175 and just work on being fast enough to not get destroyed. I would also get your cardio on point as well. I don't know where you are located, but where you work out should have a pool. Twice a week before your workout run like 8 sets of 30 seconds or side to side or whatever on the bottom of it focusing on getting your knees parallel to the ground and getting good extension when you plant your back foot. Either that, or do some wind sprints/extensive route tree work with shorter rest, which will get your cardio up while making you a faster/more athletic WR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:24 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea your right I never thought about potentially losing speed which can easily happen. But I never tried that pool exercise, thanks for that I'll give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:53 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Yea your right I never thought about potentially losing speed which can easily happen. But I never tried that pool exercise, thanks for that I'll give it a go.
no problem dude. The speed thing won't be all too bad, as getting stronger helps with getting faster. The pool workout helps with hip flexibility which in turn helps lengthen the stride which will make you faster.

Quote:
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:34 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you can't teach speed.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

but with a proper workout plan and technique you can see good improvement in your speed.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:33 AM    (permalink
Siddique
Rookie

Siddique Siddique Siddique Siddique Siddique Siddique Siddique Siddique Siddique Siddique Siddique

Absolutely not! That is a urban legend. Doctors and trainers have written books documenting that weightlifting cannot stunt growth. Growth is affected almost entirely by genetics but can also be affected by a person's diet (i.e. what types of food they eat).

Last edited by Siddique : 12-01-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Siddique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:39 AM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
you can't teach speed.
like ravens said, you can to a certain point. each person has their max threshold of speed and a lot of people never touch it.

Quote:

Old 11-27-2010, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i played some thanksgiving football and am still too sore to work out.

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:40 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was 6'1" 208 and sloppyish, got down to 192 and towards cuttness, and then the inception of a six pack was delayed by college.

Back up to 202 :/ Luckily it's not a bad 202, but I need to step up my diet game. College buffet does not help... nor Thanksgiving week.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrz
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey, I'm a pretty skinny guy and I'm looking to bulk up a bit. I do have access to a small community gym and I'm definitely willing to put in all the work. I'm worried this small gym might not be enough to do much, though. Keep in mind I'm not trying to be a body builder, I just want to casually work out and build some muscle mass for a better looking body and more strength overall.

Here are the machines that they have (no bench or dumbbells):

Upper Body
-Lat Pull Down
-Mid-Row
-Arm Extensions (triceps)
-Bicep Curl
-Chest Press
-Incline Press
-Shoulder Press
-Ab Curl

Lower Body

-Leg Press
-Quad (don't know name)
-Hamstring (don't know name)
-One more I don't know the name of, there are two pads that you position on the inside of each leg you squeeze your legs together

Is it possible to get a good workout with just these machines? If so, could someone make me a simple and effective routine?

Thanks in advance

^Thanks BK!
Bengalsrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't work out in about 10 days. Having some lung inflammation, intense pain.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:37 PM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrz View Post
Upper Body
-Lat Pull Down
-Mid-Row
-Arm Extensions (triceps)
-Bicep Curl
-Chest Press
-Incline Press
-Shoulder Press
-Ab Curl

Lower Body

-Leg Press
-Quad (don't know name)
-Hamstring (don't know name)
-One more I don't know the name of, there are two pads that you position on the inside of each leg you squeeze your legs together

Is it possible to get a good workout with just these machines? If so, could someone make me a simple and effective routine?

Thanks in advance
Personally, I prefer alternating upper body, lower body, and dedicate a day just for abs that's basically an off day. As a rule of thumb, start with the largest muscle group and work down. For example on my upper body day I start chest, then back, then shoulders, triceps, and then biceps. On leg days I start with squats, you can sub leg press, then get the quads, hamstring, calves, and hamstrings. I also like to do lunges, they kick my ass.

The best advice anybody can give you is stay far away from that machine where you squeeze your legs together, everytime I see a dude use that I cringe. It looks like a strange sex machine.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Your back muscle is bigger than your chest.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:57 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Was 6'1" 208 and sloppyish, got down to 192 and towards cuttness, and then the inception of a six pack was delayed by college.

Back up to 202 :/ Luckily it's not a bad 202, but I need to step up my diet game. College buffet does not help... nor Thanksgiving week.
I hear you man. I was 211 in April this year because I bulked up for summer football. Cafeteria buffets are great for bulking but it wasn't all good weight. I've always had abs so that wasn't a problem but I started getting stretch marks cuz I put on so much weight in such a short period of time.

Now that I'm retired from football and living off-campus I cook my own healthy meals. I'm about 187 and ripped. I can't lift nearly as much as I could before but I feel a lot healthier.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:19 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormysterioso View Post
On leg days I start with squats, you can sub leg press, then get the quads, hamstring, calves, and hamstrings. I also like to do lunges, they kick my ass.
On leg days, I used to start with squats, deadlifts, power cleans, lunges and leg press. So much fun.

Quote:
The best advice anybody can give you is stay far away from that machine where you squeeze your legs together, everytime I see a dude use that I cringe. It looks like a strange sex machine.
If you're playing a sport, I actually highly recommend those machines.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:30 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
If you're playing a sport, I actually highly recommend those machines.
Strong groin muscle = good for crossovers in hockey, breaststroke in swimming, sideways power. And the best part is that the machine helps you stretch. Unfortunately, doesn't always translate to fluid hips for soccer or football.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:39 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verloren View Post
Strong groin muscle = good for crossovers in hockey, breaststroke in swimming, sideways power. And the best part is that the machine helps you stretch. Unfortunately, doesn't always translate to fluid hips for soccer or football.
Right. I did it for hockey and I really noticed an enormous difference in flexibility, strength and speed when I used them.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 AM    (permalink
KobeBryant833
Rookie

KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KobeBryant833 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone know any good workouts for the lower abs?
KobeBryant833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobeBryant833 View Post
Anyone know any good workouts for the lower abs?
Floorwipers may be the greatest abs exercise ever. Load a bar with a fairly light weight (I used to use 135 pounds) and do alternating leg lifts while holding the bar like a bench press. It's great for the shoulders, chest and abs.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I used to be in the gym 5 times a week and was really cut at 5'9 175
Now I'm married, have a 20 month old and my wife is pregnant again.
Also a full time college student for the first time so time isn't there like it used to be.
I still try and lift 3 times a week (if I'm lucky, I can get in a fourth) and play bball about the same amount of times

I'm up to 185 now... and that's with like 15 lbs of not good weight.
Anyways, I started running a whole lot more at the beginning of the year
started getting shin splints and was told to basically run through it
I did and now I have a stress fracture in the left leg (bad shin splints?)
I want an effective way to try and trim down some but running is so painful now
I'm aware of swimming... anything else you guys recommend?

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:42 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So i'm finishing up that 5x5 in like 2 weeks. And then taking a month off since I don't have a gym away from school. But i'll be doing band exercises, sprints, pushups and ab ripper x, to stay in shape.

But I want to start something once I get back into the next semester I was going to do 5x5 again. But then I thought I would try WS4SB. Reading through that I'm pretty lost on how to do stuff. Is there a simple sheet to fill out again, like the one you provided Rob like the Mad Cow one.

If anyone has done it can you give me a little on what and how much I should be doing. 5x5 was much easier, and also that calculator made it super easy.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

for wsb4sb just select one exercise from each thing. Thats what I did.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I used to be in the gym 5 times a week and was really cut at 5'9 175
Now I'm married, have a 20 month old and my wife is pregnant again.
Also a full time college student for the first time so time isn't there like it used to be.
I still try and lift 3 times a week (if I'm lucky, I can get in a fourth) and play bball about the same amount of times

I'm up to 185 now... and that's with like 15 lbs of not good weight.
Anyways, I started running a whole lot more at the beginning of the year
started getting shin splints and was told to basically run through it
I did and now I have a stress fracture in the left leg (bad shin splints?)
I want an effective way to try and trim down some but running is so painful now
I'm aware of swimming... anything else you guys recommend?
Do the ploymetrics thing that is in P90x workout. 1:15 hr, of time you need but its a good way to burn fat. Hmm sprints, but you can't run. Have you tried biking? Jump rope, complexes, cycle training with machines.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
for wsb4sb just select one exercise from each thing. Thats what I did.
How many weeks? And do I pick a different one every week? And also the weight do I move up like 5lb-10 lbs every week?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I have stuck with the same stuff for months. But you could rotate if you want to.

I dont think there is an amount of weeks you do it. Well at least DeFranco didnt state it. Also I usually try to move up in weight for my maxes but some days I dont feel it so I just stay at the same weight.