Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
I weigh around 175. 200 grams protein, I have the highest protein intake before and after exercise (40/50 respectively) and the rest spread out evenly. Aiming for 6 meals a day but that probably won't happen once I get working again.
Honestly, unless you are on steroids and having professional bodybuilder type workouts, 50 grams of protein is too much for one sitting. I only weigh 195 but I never go over 40 grams per setting and I rarely go that high. Anytime you take in too much protein it is usually not utilized and sits around in the large intestine causing gas.

6 meals a days is pretty good, if you could get yourself 7 at 30 grams per setting then you would be set... if you are doing resistance exercise you really would not have to worry about losing muscle mass unless you are going crazy with the cardio.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:23 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I weigh around 175. 200 grams protein, I have the highest protein intake before and after exercise (40/50 respectively) and the rest spread out evenly. Aiming for 6 meals a day but that probably won't happen once I get working again.
I assumed you were 5'10 and 25 years old and had extremely active exercise schedule and figured your basal metabolic rate to be 1788 and your caloric expenditure per day as 2861,

If you took in 2500 calories a day over an 10 day period you would lose 1 lb of body weight based on the accepted model of 3500 calories equals one lb of bodyweight. You should have to take in no more than 2861 per day to maintain body weight... also, careful on cramming too much protein in at once, your body can't utilize it all and goes to waste.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just put up 110lb dumbells (flat bench)... pretty stoked about it

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
Honestly, unless you are on steroids and having professional bodybuilder type workouts, 50 grams of protein is too much for one sitting. I only weigh 195 but I never go over 40 grams per setting and I rarely go that high. Anytime you take in too much protein it is usually not utilized and sits around in the large intestine causing gas.

6 meals a days is pretty good, if you could get yourself 7 at 30 grams per setting then you would be set... if you are doing resistance exercise you really would not have to worry about losing muscle mass unless you are going crazy with the cardio.
Definitely good advice and something I've been thinking about the last couple of days (more evenly spacing protein.)

I should note that I workout at night so the 50 grams of protein was just before sleep, more or less.. but I agree, still a lot.

I think I'll try splitting up my protein shake to two servings a day and take one when I first wakeup. That should give me a pretty even split of 25ish protein per meal with slightly higher in the morning, after workout and before sleep.

My 3,000 calories includes an extra 300 calories from different things that I can't account for day by day (ie beer, coffee, etc..) so the actual diet plan is 2,700 calories including the oil used for cooking. I feel like it's a good place to start as I know from my body and how I've eaten in the past that it definitely won't cause me to gain fat but most calculators I can find put me at around 2,700-2,800 as ideal. Definitely will tweak it as I go along.

Appreciate the advice quite a bit!

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:37 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

I'm 5'7 195 lbs with approximately 12-13% bodyfat at 37 years old. My upperbody workouts are geared towards strength and size while my lowerbody workouts are geared more for speed and explosion (because I just can't give up sports and have ZERO desire to play in an old man's league for anything). My PB for reps of 225 is 27, incline max is 330... still run under 4.7 in the 40. My diet has a ton to do with my fitness level. I eat 7/8 meals a day and each meal consists of at least 15g of protein.

At 6 am I have a 30g of protein shake.
at 9 am I have 30g of protein on vegetarian sausages
at 11 am I have 35g of protein with peanut butter on P28 protein bread
at 130 pm i have 15-20g of protein from lowfat cheesesticks
at 330 pm i have 25g of protein from half a chicken breast
at 600 pm i have 30-40g of protein from dinner
at 830 pm i have 15-20g of protein from the rest of my dinnger
at bedtime 930-10pm i have 30g of protein from another shake

Spacing out the protein intake/meals serves two functions. #1 you can't store protein, your body utilzes what it can and stores the rest as energy or expels it and #2 your body's metabolism is 10% faster for up to an hour after you eat and the more often you eat the more often your metabolism is sped up.

For anybody looking to cut weight, add weight, maintain weight (that should be everybody), getting your protein schedule together is HUGE!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:42 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Definitely good advice and something I've been thinking about the last couple of days (more evenly spacing protein.)

I should note that I workout at night so the 50 grams of protein was just before sleep, more or less.. but I agree, still a lot.

I think I'll try splitting up my protein shake to two servings a day and take one when I first wakeup. That should give me a pretty even split of 25ish protein per meal with slightly higher in the morning, after workout and before sleep.

My 3,000 calories includes an extra 300 calories from different things that I can't account for day by day (ie beer, coffee, etc..) so the actual diet plan is 2,700 calories including the oil used for cooking. I feel like it's a good place to start as I know from my body and how I've eaten in the past that it definitely won't cause me to gain fat but most calculators I can find put me at around 2,700-2,800 as ideal. Definitely will tweak it as I go along.

Appreciate the advice quite a bit!
No problem...get that protein schedule down and even when you go back to work, you'll be able to set your watch to your meal schedule... I always know what time it is by how my stomach feels.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holy ****, you're like a Bruce Lee CJ.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:42 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO 3000 cals is not that much. My maintenance level is ~3200. I am 6'2, so taller and bigger than average but not by that much. I know a guy that started out super skinny, like less than 150. He had one of those ridiculous metabolisms. He has to stuff his face, as in 5-6K calories to gain any weight. He stuck with it and in 3 years he is up over 200 lbs., looks great, and is really strong. 300+ bench, over 500 on deadlift and squat.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 PM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I survived just fine in Iraq for a year on about 2000 a day. That's at least 2 patrols a day wearing about 100 lbs of kit in about 130 degrees; plus working out once in the morning and once at night. Nobody needs 3000 calories a day unless you're trying to be a body builder. I just don't understand those kind of guys...it's all show and no go. I figure, if you grow it you have to carry it. Functional strength with speed and agility is the way to go unless you're a sumo wrestler or an action movie star.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm telling you if I ate 2000 cals a day I would be dropping weight like crazy. And I am no bodybuilder. How big are you mysterio?

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3,000 calories is not a lot at all. Especially for someone trying to put on weight. ****, on some lifting days I get as much as 3,600. (That's more atypical, but one most lifting days I'm 3,000-3,300)
Old 03-18-2011, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormysterioso View Post
I survived just fine in Iraq for a year on about 2000 a day. That's at least 2 patrols a day wearing about 100 lbs of kit in about 130 degrees; plus working out once in the morning and once at night. Nobody needs 3000 calories a day unless you're trying to be a body builder. I just don't understand those kind of guys...it's all show and no go. I figure, if you grow it you have to carry it. Functional strength with speed and agility is the way to go unless you're a sumo wrestler or an action movie star.
Different types of metabolisms. If I eat 2000 a day and don't workout, don't do anything I'll lose weight.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:32 AM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I'm telling you if I ate 2000 cals a day I would be dropping weight like crazy. And I am no bodybuilder. How big are you mysterio?
I'm 6'2 190. I'm comfortable between 180-195 and it fluctuates. I've been as much as 220 but being that big was hard on my knees and slowed me down a ton. At 190ish I can still bench 275, and run 2 miles in 11:00. It's a good balance for me.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:00 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

The trick to a bodybuilding diet and metabolism... is it has to be switched up all the time... if a person did only take in 2000 cal a day for 2 months straight, they may very well lose weight for 4-6 weeks but eventually their body would stabilize and homeostasis would take over and the body weight would stop decreasing as they would be too used to it.

Any of you guys on 3200 cal a day could easily survive on 2000 cal a day and after the initial 1-2 month shock of having drastically reduced your calories, your bodyweight would stabilize as your metabolisms would slow to a crawl.

Last edited by brasho : 03-19-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:07 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
IMO 3000 cals is not that much. My maintenance level is ~3200. I am 6'2, so taller and bigger than average but not by that much. I know a guy that started out super skinny, like less than 150. He had one of those ridiculous metabolisms. He has to stuff his face, as in 5-6K calories to gain any weight. He stuck with it and in 3 years he is up over 200 lbs., looks great, and is really strong. 300+ bench, over 500 on deadlift and squat.
Your friend gained 50 lbs in 3 years? Either he put on some serious fat poundage or he is on illegal substances. Get it from any source you like, but without steroids, putting on 8 lbs of muscle in one given year is considered a FANTASTIC year. Twelve pounds of muscle in one year is considered legendary... 50 lbs in 3 years is over 16 lbs a year... and hard to believe even with the use of illegal substances.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:16 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Your friend gained 50 lbs in 3 years? Either he put on some serious fat poundage or he is on illegal substances. Get it from any source you like, but without steroids, putting on 8 lbs of muscle in one given year is considered a FANTASTIC year. Twelve pounds of muscle in one year is considered legendary... 50 lbs in 3 years is over 16 lbs a year... and hard to believe even with the use of illegal substances.
Some of it is definitely fat. He got to 175ish and still looked pretty lean but with plenty more muscle and from that point he went a little overboard. I think he was better off when he was eating around 4500 calories/day.

i done stole dis sig
Old 03-19-2011, 05:30 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm no expert on the matter but from everything I've read 10-15 for the first year of real muscle work is possible but it drops to half that, max, after that. So yeah, I think even approaching 50 lbs. in 3 years would involve serious fat and/or substance abuse.

My goal is to hit 190ish with a sub 10% body fat a year from now and I'm about 175-178 with 15%ish right now.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gaining 50 good pounds in 3 years is very possible. I don't see why is it hard for anyone to believe that. It's 3 years. I mean football players do it all the time. For example Jamaal Anderson gained 85 pounds in 3 years at Arkansas and he still ran a 4.7 forty.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Gaining 50 good pounds in 3 years is very possible. I don't see why is it hard for anyone to believe that. It's 3 years. I mean football players do it all the time. For example Jamaal Anderson gained 85 pounds in 3 years at Arkansas and he still ran a 4.7 forty.
Because most physiologists that have undergone years and years of schooling and testing and body builders with dozens of years of experience say that body physiology simply does not allow you to gain that much PURE MUSCLE MASS in that amount of time naturally. Steroids and HGH certainly make it possible as they grossly affect the natural function of the human body.

I can drink two gallons of water a day and weigh 10 pounds more when working out. That's not muscle mass. It's a pretty open secret that the majority of NFL players use performance enhancers. Natural human beings can't gain 85 pounds and still maintain their speed; it simply isn't possible.

Check out this.. http://deadspin.com/#!5615938/a-look...cincos-bladder .

Yes, if you claim not to have a photo ID on you they cannot drug test you and you won't get in trouble for it. You can go home, drink a detox product, sleep, and come back the next day for your drug test. Seriously.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 03-19-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:32 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i have gained 12 pounds of muscle since track started. if you have the frame, it's possible to gain a lot of weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:55 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tons of college athletes gain 50 pounds in a 3-5 year span. It's not going to be 100% muscle but it's not impossible without the use of PEDs.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Tons of college athletes gain 50 pounds in a 3-5 year span. It's not going to be 100% muscle but it's not impossible without the use of PEDs.
The point is only you can't gain that much pure muscle in that time. You can certainly gain 50 pounds and looked ripped within 3 years, no question at all, but a good portion of that weight is going to be fat and water retention.

Just splitting hairs, though.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:30 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

When I first really started to hit the gym hard I was about 125 lbs at 5'7..

I put back on atrophied muscle. I had weighed as much as 135 while being at a similar body fat in the past... so those first 4-6 weeks I was only putting BACK on muscle mass. After 3 months of eating and lifting like a madman, I had put on 18 lbs to get to 143.

At that point I was heavier than I had ever been in my life. It took 3 more months to get to a solid 148. In that time period, I was eating tuna, spaghetti, peanut butter sandwiched, as much protein I could eat whenever I could AND drinking a gallon of skim milk a day. I went from benching 145 to 235 in that time period.

After 6 months more had gone by, I gained 7 more lbs to get to 155. So I gained 30 lbs in one year, about 5-10 of which were atrophied muscle that was put back on (doesn't really count as new muscle)... and according to my bodyfat measurements, I only put on 18 lbs total of muscle in that first truly dedicated year of weightlifting.

From that point on, I was lucky to put on 5 lbs of muscle a year until I finally topped out at 170 for several years. My lean mass was about 155 at the time.

Through less intense workouts, getting married, having two kids, and unclean dieting... I was weighing 195 or so. I had a near death experience with MRSA about 4 years ago and once I recovered I rededicated myself to working out.My weight got as high as 209 in the past... I was still working out and getting stronger, putting up 325 on incline, 225 27X on flat, but a lot of that weight was fat that I had put on... my frame was/is pretty much maxed out. My lean mass was 170, this despite years having gone by.

Last summer I figured out I wasn't taking bad pictures but I was just too darn fat, and I dropped 15 lbs very quickly, down to 195 and have been there pretty much ever since. My lean mass is still 170, I'm still getting reps for 225 in the mid 20's

Anyways, over 17+ years of working out like a madman (for most of those years), I managed to put on a mere 60 lbs, maybe 50 of which was lean muscle.

Now just because I CAN'T gain 50 lbs of muscle in 3 months (even though I'm what most people consider to be an easy gainer) but doesn't mean nobody else can do it... but what science says tells you YOU CAN'T GAIN 50 lbs of muscle in 3 months... I don't care what Muscle and FItness says... It's all BS designed to keep your buying their magazine. If a guy can gain 50 lbs of muscle in 5 years I would consider that guy to be pushing the limits of possiblity.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:31 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
i have gained 12 pounds of muscle since track started. if you have the frame, it's possible to gain a lot of weight.
How much of it is putting atrophied muscle back on... and have you had your bodyfat tested both before and after to know that it is 100% muscle?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:38 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm no expert on the matter but from everything I've read 10-15 for the first year of real muscle work is possible but it drops to half that, max, after that. So yeah, I think even approaching 50 lbs. in 3 years would involve serious fat and/or substance abuse.

My goal is to hit 190ish with a sub 10% body fat a year from now and I'm about 175-178 with 15%ish right now.
I actually experienced 15-18 of lean mass n my first year of working out... so I can attest to that. But after that it seriously slows, which I'm sure you know.

Those are some seriously lofty goals you have there. You would be increasing your lean mass from about 150 to 170 in a year. You probably won't make it, but I think having big goals is a great thing.

I'm 5'7 195 right now with 170 lean mass, I'd like to be about 190 with 175 lbs of lean mass by August. I'd like to somehow put 2 more inches on my arms to get to an even 20, I'd like to put an inch on my chest to get it over 50 (it's been 50 before but that was with 209 lbs of bodyweight), I want my waist down 2 inches to 32 and my stomach down two inches to 34... I don't know if I'll make it... but it's good to have big goals.