Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-09-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Well, as long as you eat enough and don't lose muscle, your lifts won't drop too dramatically when you stop training. It's not an issue of natural strength at all in this case imo (although natural strength exists, Andy Bolton pulled 400 the first time he walked in a gym).....it's that you built up the strength and did nothing (ie: diet, lose weight) to lose that strength, so it stayed for the most part. The muscle memory stuff is important, but not as much for bench and deads. For oly lifts and squats, muscle memory is big though.
Im glad someone knows haha. Ive always wondered. I always get told I have perfect feet for deadlifting though.

Whose Andy Bolton?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
Im glad someone knows haha. Ive always wondered. I always get told I have perfect feet for deadlifting though.

Whose Andy Bolton?
Are you long and lanky? That seems to be the best bodytype for deadlifters (up to a point anyway....once you get over like 700, its just who is strongest I feel like).

Anyway, Andy Bolton is the best deadlifter in the world. Here is his pulling a WR 1003 lbs!

EDIT: He has actually lifted 1008 lbs since then. beast.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Are you long and lanky? That seems to be the best bodytype for deadlifters (up to a point anyway....once you get over like 700, its just who is strongest I feel like).

Anyway, Andy Bolton is the best deadlifter in the world. Here is his pulling a WR 1003 lbs!

EDIT: He has actually lifted 1008 lbs since then. beast.
Nah, not lanky, just like a tree trunk. 5'11-6'1 ish. 9EEEE feet, which apparently wide feet is awesome because it gives a solid base.

And I love how the guys around him are talking trash, and he just raises his hands.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Nah, not lanky, just like a tree trunk. 5'11-6'1 ish. 9EEEE feet, which apparently wide feet is awesome because it gives a solid base.

And I love how the guys around him are talking trash, and he just raises his hands.
I suppose the foot thing could have some credence. I feel like people with narrower feet could just point their toes out a little bit though and get the same effect.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Another thing Ive always wondered:
When you do should shrugs with dumbells, are you supposed to rotate your shoulders or just go up and down? Ive always rotated them around and I like my neck muscles, but Ive been told I do it wrong.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
When you do should shrugs with dumbells, are you supposed to rotate your shoulders or just go up and down? Ive always rotated them around and I like my neck muscles, but Ive been told I do it wrong.
I don't do DB shrugs personally because they aren't heavy enough and I don't do high rep stuff, but I have seen them done both ways and I feel like both are fine. When that's the case though, I always lean towards what motion can be done with a heavier weight and that is likely a straight up and down.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't do DB shrugs personally because they aren't heavy enough and I don't do high rep stuff, but I have seen them done both ways and I feel like both are fine. When that's the case though, I always lean towards what motion can be done with a heavier weight and that is likely a straight up and down.
I use the highest my college has (75 lbs) and do the circular. Call it what you want, ive had broken bones, herniated disc (still sucks) concussions, and all, but never knee or shoulders. I am very lucky.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:49 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
I use the highest my college has (75 lbs) and do the circular. Call it what you want, ive had broken bones, herniated disc (still sucks) concussions, and all, but never knee or shoulders. I am very lucky.
I think thats fine. I'm sure you are doing high reps with those 75's though. Maybe try some barbell shrugs.....I'm sure you could crank out over 2 plates with no problem.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:23 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I prefer straight up and down. I also like to try and hold it for an extra second or two and try and make my shoulders touch over my head. (If the angle continued, of course, I'm not some kind of genetic freak)
Old 03-10-2012, 11:03 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I prefer straight up and down. I also like to try and hold it for an extra second or two and try and make my shoulders touch over my head. (If the angle continued, of course, I'm not some kind of genetic freak)
By my logic it just seems like rotating the shrugs would build up the muscle around the shoulder joints as well. If there is muscles there. As you can tell I learned nothing in HS or College personal wellness classes.

4000th post!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
By my logic it just seems like rotating the shrugs would build up the muscle around the shoulder joints as well. If there is muscles there. As you can tell I learned nothing in HS or College personal wellness classes.

4000th post!

You can always just do a Military Press/Shoulder Press instead. Much better exercise overall.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:20 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

I have some friends who are big into weightlifting (but just trying to get healthy, they arent body builders)

I may after break get with them to make me a workout plan and document it on here. Would be nice way of having others imput.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I have been thinking about keeping a running training log here. I just don't know if enough people would be interested, especially considering I'm not lifting much nowadays and focusing on running/kickboxing.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:28 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd probably read it if you're bored enough to post it haha.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:28 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Quote:
I have been thinking about keeping a running training log here. I just don't know if enough people would be interested, especially considering I'm not lifting much nowadays and focusing on running/kickboxing.
Just keep it on here, im sure me and ATL would enjoy knowing.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I'll try to post my diet at least.....helps keep you honest. Today, I am cheating however, so it will be useless haha.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:33 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

I dont have a diet. I cannot eat vegetables, at all. Unless you count runny mashed potatoes and pizza (yayyyyy) vegetables.

I normally try to limit myself in what I eat overall. For the most part I dont eat sweets or drink soda, which I feel helps me out.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I remember having the diet discussion with you a week or so ago. Yeah, you dont eat great haha.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:37 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

Its just growing up playing sports we never had sit down dinners. I never had to eat them, so I cant now. Ive tried a lot of different vegetables, I just cant do it.

But I have been eating oranges though.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Been working out five days a week with my uni football team. Started out in January, never lifted before that. I was always afraid of the gym because I knew I couldn't lift much, but as long as you use proper form and keep at it the improvements will come.

Got my bench from 115x6 to 145x6 so far. My chest has probably been the weakest for me.

I was barely deadlifting 185x2 before. Now up to 245x2 fairly easily.

My squat was **** before too. I just wasn't used to that amount of weight on my shoulders before. I was at around 185x4, now I can get around 275x4.

I love working out now. It's really all just about getting in your comfort zone, as much as it sounds *** to admit it I was really embarrassed about lifting before because I felt like I did so little. Just get out there and work at it and you'll be better in no time.

/random contribution to weight lifting thread.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:07 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

I'd post my diet/log if anyone was interested. It'd be pretty monotonous now though as I'm trying for maintenance. However, in 2 months (when I'm back at home), I'll be going on a pretty crazy lifting challenge and eating like a monster to pack on 7-10 pounds in 3 months... that would be better.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:12 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
Been working out five days a week with my uni football team. Started out in January, never lifted before that. I was always afraid of the gym because I knew I couldn't lift much, but as long as you use proper form and keep at it the improvements will come.

Got my bench from 115x6 to 145x6 so far. My chest has probably been the weakest for me.

I was barely deadlifting 185x2 before. Now up to 245x2 fairly easily.

My squat was **** before too. I just wasn't used to that amount of weight on my shoulders before. I was at around 185x4, now I can get around 275x4.

I love working out now. It's really all just about getting in your comfort zone, as much as it sounds *** to admit it I was really embarrassed about lifting before because I felt like I did so little. Just get out there and work at it and you'll be better in no time.

/random contribution to weight lifting thread.

I love working out. I always just feel so much better after whether it be running or lifting. Plus, it allows me to still do some "competitive" (even if it is just pushing myself) now that I'm not playing sports anymore.

However, that part about your comfort zone better just be about confidence sir. Push yourself.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:15 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't do DB shrugs personally because they aren't heavy enough and I don't do high rep stuff
What's that?;)

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
What's that?;)

Lol. I wish my gym was awesome enough to have 200 lb dumbbells!
Old 03-10-2012, 05:11 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Lol. I wish my gym was awesome enough to have 200 lb dumbbells!

Lightweight babay!

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote