Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-03-2012, 03:05 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Exclamation laptop purchase help

Wonderful people of SWDC, I come to you in a time of need for some assistance. I recently ran into some extra cash and i was looking to use said funds in order to procure a new laptop. I used to have a gateway that i got through my school and i will never make that mistake again. Anyways, I am looking to spend between 700 and 1300 bucks on it and i will be using it for surfing the net, school work, and possibly some gaming (diablo 3/cs).

Any help would be much appreciated and i will be sure to +rep as much as possible.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 PM    (permalink
ncst8fan83
Pro Bowler

ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd go with an IBM, preferably this baby:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
Titty sprinkles
ncst8fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://slickdeals.net/f/4692296-Leno...rd-marketplace
Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally don't recommend buying a 'gaming laptop' because you either compromise battery life or functionality (it won't play the games you want). An integrated GPU on the newer laptops (Intel i7/5 3xxx and 2xxx) do a decent job of running games on low quality.

I use a Thinkpad X201 which will struggle to play games at all. However, it is a great machine for school (served me well during my school days). Newer Thinkpads have slightly better graphics, but I bought a desktop to game on.

The closest thing to a gaming machine that has a decent build quality is a Macbook Pro (which will run you well over your budget) with a Windows install.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wont be using it for gaming all that much i would just like to be able to run diablo3 if i happen to buy it at some point. I have a desktop as well so its really not much of an issue. Ill mostly just be using it to surf the net, do schoolwork, listen to music, n watch netflix/hbogo/pr0n.

I will be getting this laptop from newegg in all likelihood if that helps any.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 06-03-2012, 04:45 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.p...elected_cat=10

High quality and recommended brand by most people in the know in the laptop industry. Especially for the price. They're rebranded laptops by Clevo, the company that used to supply for Alienware (you know, when Alienware was good).

Last edited by nepg : 06-03-2012 at 04:51 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:21 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have an Asus. Reasonably priced and I haven't really had many problems with it.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:34 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
I have an Asus. Reasonably priced and I haven't really had many problems with it.
I had an Asus, and will never get an Asus again. The temperature on mine was absolutely through the roof. It actually melted the vent grates.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:55 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will suggest an Asus to everyone before pretty much every other computer brand. My Girlfriend has a laptop of theirs, her fathers tablet is Asus, my tablet is an Asus, my home computers Mother Board is an Asus my work computers have Asus boards.

I can understand having an issue with a computer but Asus is actually one of the more reliable brands out there (Also a lot of people mistake Asus for Acer which is down right trash). All I know as of right now if I had to buy a per-assembled computer it would be Asus.

As for answering the main post I have to agree with descendency. You don't want to laptop to game on. Its just not worth it. Its typically higher priced for lower specs, run hotter and die quicker. If you can get by with a desktop I would suggest that route.

If you have no other choice these are some good ones to check:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+1...&skuId=4920039
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+1...&skuId=5176239
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+G...&skuId=4155218

Last edited by ImBrotherCain : 06-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.
ImBrotherCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:44 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The main thing with heat is to look at how the laptop is designed on the underside. If all of the vents point straight down, you're going to have heat problems (unless you get a stand), if the vents go out the back, you'll be in better shape.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:31 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Thanks for all your help guys! I really appreciate it and anything else you may be willing to share.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 06-04-2012, 08:26 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

surfing the web...netflix...music...schoolwork...get a mac!

sig by BoneKrusher
GM Vikings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

go to buy.com and look up HP elitebook 8640W, W for workstation. You can play your games and stuff. I use it for my engineering programs.

Its a small business laptop so you'll get a 3 year warranty, 3 year in home, and 3 free labor.

Its about 1100. You can easily add more ram, and add a second battery. No HDMI, but it has display port. Dedicated graphic card and i5 pro. You can see the details if you want.

Also best part its military grade tested, so can't shoot it, but can take extreme heat, spills, and drops from like 4 feet. Also I've stood on it and its been fine.

Also track pad is very cool, its super smooth and like glass, its made of polished metal, downside its super sensetive.

If you have extra cash there is a i7 version with 16 gb of ram I believe.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:01 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Macs are completely out of the question, as i have no desire to be a part of that cult.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 06-05-2012, 02:45 AM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have an asus netbook which is a really nice machine but I have a 15" Lenovo laptop and I will say Lenovos are tanks. Things will run forever.

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well if a mac is out of the question, I would definitely go with a lenovo. I was given a lenovo laptop for work and I am absolutely in love with it. I've had, or dealt with, almost every major brand of laptop out there and lenovo is my favorite.

sig by BoneKrusher
GM Vikings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:03 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I run Linux, and I feel compelled to mention it every time somebody mentions that they have a Mac.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I run Linux, and I feel compelled to mention it every time somebody mentions that they have a Mac.
I run Mac OSX, and I feel compelled to mention that because I am better then all of you.....
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I run Mac OSX, and I feel compelled to mention that because I am better then all of you.....
OSX is a pretty user friendly unix variant. I have no beef against the OS.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

Thanks again everyone! I went ahead and purchased a Sager and I should be receiving it in the coming days. Specs n everything look awesome, I cant wait to use it.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
Old 07-07-2012, 06:53 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

How is it?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought this was one of the spam threads from the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:05 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

I absolutely love it actually. Exactly what I wanted, within my price range, and just an awesome machine. I got the NP6175 btw. Thanks for the recommendation +rep.

EDIT: you must spread some rep around before giving it to NEPG again.

Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Last edited by themaninblack : 07-08-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:11 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

Windows, OSX, Linux...

Old 07-08-2012, 12:14 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
I absolutely love it actually. Exactly what I wanted, within my price range, and just an awesome machine. I got the NP6175 btw. Thanks for the recommendation +rep.
how much did it cost you? never heard of sager