Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChezPower4 View Post
I think Mason did the Ravens no favors by retiring now right before training camp. A very unprofessional move by a man i consider classy.
I think this is overreaction. What's wrong with now? There's still some free agents available (ex. Amani Toomer), and the Ravens could go ahead and trade a 2010 pick for a player (ex. Josh Morgan, as San Fran signed Brandon Jones in the offseason and drafted Crabtree) if they so choose.

The worst thing to do would actually be right before the season. At least now there's still some time to work with a new addition.

And honestly, there's no timetable for this sort of thing. The man finally discovered he didn't have it in him anymore to give the game everything he has. This is an accomplished veteran who played well for many years. It happens, have some consideration for crying out loud.

PS. I am so going to draft Mark Clayton in fantasy.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:22 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow retiring now. I guarantee you if Mason retired after the end of the season the Raven's wouldn't have drafted Oher. They probably would have used their first two picks at WR. I mean last year they made the AFC championship by only being 2 deep at WR. Mason+Clayton, and Clayton wasn't there half the time. It doesn't help that Heap is a pile of Heap now. I am so sorry for Joe Flacco. The Ravens easily have the worst receiving group in the NFL right now. This is their depth chart right now:

WR 1: Mark Clayton(Inconsistent)/Justin Harper(Never had a catch in the NFL)
WR 2: Demetrius Williams(Missed all of last year with injury and has never produced on the NFL level, a great "almost catcher")/Erron Riley(Undrafted rookie from Duke)
WR 3: Marcus Smith(Can Block, that's it)/Issiah Williams(Undrafted rookie, 4th stringer at University of Maryland who had one of the most terrible passing offenses in college football)

Honestly I can't make a case for any of them being consistent enough to be a starter, including Clayton.

Definitely look for the Ravens to push a trade hard or at the very least flank Heap out wide.

BTW this is no slight on Derrick Mason. He is one of my favorite players this decade and is a warrior. Last year he was still a pro bowl level WR. I just think the timing of the retirement is sucky, but I understand the potential reasons.

Joe Flacco is guaranteed for a sophomore slump now. Say hello to 20 carries each for Mcgahee, Ray Rice, and McClain.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this sucks for the Ravens. They can have Mark Bradley for a 3rd round pick :)
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Say hello to 20 carries each for Mcgahee, Ray Rice, and McClain.

What sucks is we also let go Neal who kicked ass as a lead blocker next year, I bet you if we knew we were going to have the worst recieving corp in football we would have kept him around and let had 80% running plays
Old 07-13-2009, 06:38 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This sucks for the Ravens, but it's hard to be angry at Mason, if your heart isn't in it 17+ weeks of pounding and pain ahead of you just isn't worth it, and better to pull out now than later.

Right now if the Ravens need a veteran Marvin Harrison will still have juice for another year and will want to go to a contender, which he'll get with the Ravens. If Plax is able to go, he's there too, then there's the trade option.

They should pick one of the two rather than trading for a guy who's on the cusp.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I think this is overreaction. What's wrong with now? There's still some free agents available (ex. Amani Toomer), and the Ravens could go ahead and trade a 2010 pick for a player (ex. Josh Morgan, as San Fran signed Brandon Jones in the offseason and drafted Crabtree) if they so choose.
That really wouldn't be a good example. Josh Morgan wouldn't be traded. Brandon Jones was signed in the offseason only because Bruce was still debating retirement and we didn't know that Crabtree would fall into our laps. The consensus among fans and reports are that while Jones has looked okay in camp, it was basically a wasted signing now. Morgan has showed great potential, Bruce is still decent, and Michael Crabtree is a highly touted rookie. Add that in the fact that Vernon Davis is most likely going to finally be used to a good degree (he's been catching a majority of the balls in OTA's) and there won't be that many mouths to feed so to speak. Jason Hill and Dominique Zeigler looked good as role players behind Morgan and Bruce last season as well. Jones was really not necessary. Of course we didn't know that then.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:46 PM    (permalink
ChezPower4
Pro Bowler

ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChezPower4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post

The worst thing to do would actually be right before the season. At least now there's still some time to work with a new addition.

And honestly, there's no timetable for this sort of thing. The man finally discovered he didn't have it in him anymore to give the game everything he has. This is an accomplished veteran who played well for many years. It happens, have some consideration for crying out loud.

PS. I am so going to draft Mark Clayton in fantasy.
I don't fully know his reasons for retiring, but I would have to assume that he's been mulling it over for some time now. You are right that there are still some WR options for the Ravens to pursue at this point and I'm sure that if Mason had informed the Ravens that he would not be playing anymore that the Ravens would have added some WR depth in the draft. Anyone they could bring in now is most likely not going to be someone they can develop for the future.

As it is there is no rule that says when a player can and can't retire but I think his timing is very poor and leaves his former employer in a tough spot. Hence me stating that the timing of his decision was unprofessional. Would you just up and leave your job? Mason was a good player for the Ravens for many seasons but that does not excuse his action.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is interesting because ESPN mentions that he had been asking for a new contract before this and was also in the last year of his deal. It'd have at least made sense to play the last year on his deal first, especially because he was still a quality wide receiver. I expect the Ravens to go for another wide receiver.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They can have Downtown Reggie Brown. :D
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:58 PM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They can have Brandon for Terrell Suggs straight up.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.
the decider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the decider13 View Post

I have considered that deal. IDK if it would happen
Old 07-13-2009, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the decider13 View Post
That wouldn't be half bad so there is no way it gets done. Josh McDaniels isn't smart enough to get a deal like that done.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:14 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the timing of this, I'm willing to bet McNair's death had something to do with it.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 PM    (permalink
lordquas
Veteran

lordquas lordquas lordquas lordquas lordquas lordquas lordquas lordquas

derrick mason was so nasty.
we need marshall more than ever now.
wtf though
mason was the man
d will can do work, as well as clayton
but we need marshall soooooo ******* bad

Go Celtics
Go Irish
Go Ravens
lordquas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This won't help the chances of Joe Flaccos ignoring a sophomore slump. Their running game and OLine will carry their offense anyways I guess.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:29 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hello Marvin Harrison?
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think Mason did the Ravens no favors by retiring now right before training camp. A very unprofessional move by a man i consider classy.
You can disagree with it, but unprofessional was defiantely the wrong word of choice, nothing unprofessional at all about a veteran with his resume retiring before TC starts at this point in his career.

To me the timing seems like a reaction to McNair's death, maybe he realizes he wants to start spending time with his family that he took for granted, which is perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One of my favorite players. Probably my favorite player that wasn't on the Browns. Until he went to the Ravens.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why are we all assuming that he gave the organization zero notice? I can't find it in the article. He did say that he has been thinking about retirement since the end of the season, and I'd assume he ran it by the organization at that time.

I've had to watch Mason rip up the Bengals D for some time now, and I have nothing but respect for him anyways.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:38 AM    (permalink
The Legend
Pro Bowler

The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.The Legend could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
O'Come on. If the man wants to retire then he has the right to retire and unretire when ever he wants in my book. If the man believes he can't play the same anymore for any reason. Then its very professional of him to retire then staying with the Ravens and knowing he can't give his all. And anyone who is effected by death has the right to do what ever they want, and maybe McNair's death affected him. Thats my two cents.

Lord is right though we need Marshall so badly right now, and the Broncos know this.
Coordinator and Geo is right also we should bring Harrison & Toomer in and take a look at what they have left.
Me personally, I think we should take a look Burress. I don't think he's a team cancer. He's just a dumby with a gun.

I'm wondering who is going to play fullback when McCalin is in though. Cook is a rookie who's 230 pounds come on!

Last edited by The Legend : 07-14-2009 at 01:49 AM.
The Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:18 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If your looking for a veteran WR there is still some decent ones out there. No one as good as Mason but some that are decent.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:57 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Joe Flacco performs poorly this upcoming season it won't be solely because of 35 year old Derrick Mason retiring.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2009, 04:03 AM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
If Joe Flacco performs poorly this upcoming season it won't be solely because of 35 year old Derrick Mason retiring.
Well considering he was the only good receiver, yeah it kind of is.

They better run a TON this season and ride Ray Rice, Willis McGahee and McClain to victory. The best receiving options are Todd Heap and Clayton.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Well considering he was the only good receiver, yeah it kind of is.

They better run a TON this season and ride Ray Rice, Willis McGahee and McClain to victory. The best receiving options are Todd Heap and Clayton.
If Flacco has to depend on Derrick Mason for his success as a future quarterback, then he isn't a very good quarterback to begin with. Regardless if his other receivers aren't as good as Mason, it will be evident who struggles more: Flacco or his targets his throwing the ball to. If it's the targets, then at least you know Flacco is doing his job well and it's his supporting cast that needs to be upgraded. If it's the other way around, then Flacco wasn't that good in the first place.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mason was one of the few Ravens I actually liked. Very tough blow for the Ravens.