Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 03-09-2007, 09:27 AM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Kowalski answeres some common questions...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kowalski
Friday, March 09, 2007

Will Lions draft Calvin Johnson if Curtis signs elsewhere?
There were several questions regarding Kevin Curtis and whether the Lions might be playing hardball in negotiations because they're reconsidering the possibility of drafting Calvin Johnson with the second overall pick.

At this point, I still believe the Lions are very interested in signing Curtis, but this thing gets stranger by the minute. Now there are reports that Curtis wants to play close to the West Coast ... but then he visits two of the most eastern teams in the country -- the New York Giants and Philadelphia Eagles.

If Curtis signs with Detroit, Johnson is clearly off the table. If Curtis doesn't sign, I still believe he's a longshot to get drafted by the Lions. First, he might not be there at No. 2. Looking at the bigger picture, though, the Lions believe they must improve their defense and that's why a trade down is so appealing. It's not just to acquire more draft picks, but to get in a range where some guys they really like -- Gaines Adams and Patrick Willis -- become more of an option.

Dgursk: "1-3 in free agency"? lets be real. why over pay for a back up WR? Look at the players the Lions are targeting, they are not make it or break it players on whether the Lions win 4 games next season or win 6. So, I think we need a little bit more perspective when we say that the front office has to do a better job for the coaching staff. All the players the front office brought in were at the request of the coaches. We know millen had no idea who Dewayne White was prior to 3 weeks ago, because none of us did (except marinelli and barry. The problem the front office has is that they are not maximizing their potential in free agency because they are only interested in who martz or marinelli think is worth bringing in.

Tom Kowalski: You can quibble all you want about whether their top three free agent targets are worth it or not. My point is that THEY were the ones who targeted these guys and it's possible they'll only get one of the three. That's not very good. There's nothing wrong with having a Plan B, but it'd be nice to see Plan A work out once in awhile.

Tim: What is on the horizon with Shaun Rogers? Will he stay or will he go?

Tom Kowalski: This question comes up all the time and I'm not really sure why. Shaun Rogers isn't going anywhere. Would he prefer to play somewhere else? Probably. Is he going to? Absolutely not.

Steve: Did the Lions ever approach Washington about trading Bly? The deal that Denver is looking at with Betts and Springs seems like it would fit Detroit a lot better than what they did with Denver, especially considering who's available at #2 in the draft.

Tom Kowalski: Yes, the Lions were in deep talks with the Redskins but didn't like what they were getting back. I think the Lions were looking at the best team possible, not the best deal as it reflects the draft. The reason for that is because everything can change drastically before the draft arrives. Again, I think the Lions will trade down and then they have many more options.

Jeremy: I am a former Michigan resident (Caro) and now live in Oklahoma. I am a life long Lions fan and I am puzled as to why the Lions wouldn't take Adrian Peterson with the 2nd pick in the draft? Where am I missing the boat on this guy? I have watched him for the past three years run around and over opposing players. I understand the importance of an offensive linemen, however, isn't this guy a "cant miss" player?

Tom Kowalski: I think the Lions would agree with your assessment that Peterson is going to be a terrific player. At this point, I wouldn't rule anything out (those Tatum Bell rumors won't go away), but I see the Lions taking their changes with Kevin Jones and Bell (and whoever else they can pick up). The Lions have more needs, especially defensively, and they want to address those in the first round.
Interesting. It sounds as if they WILL trade down... (and for Willis/Adams)... which is outstanding. SRogers? Not going anywhere... and, after a great year, he may not want to. CJ? Probably not. AP? Probably not.

Good read.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:32 AM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, if they want Gaines Adams, they'll likely have to stay within the top 5. Patrick Willis, they could deal down much further, but due to the cost of a deal, it makes it almost unlikely that any team from Patrick Willis' grade range would move up the 2nd overall spot. But who knows.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Aard
Rookie

Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonsterwu View Post
Well, if they want Gaines Adams, they'll likely have to stay within the top 5. Patrick Willis, they could deal down much further, but due to the cost of a deal, it makes it almost unlikely that any team from Patrick Willis' grade range would move up the 2nd overall spot. But who knows.
If the Lions can trade down to Arizona's five spot they can get Gaines Adams there, and use a combination of picks to trade back up into the range where they can add Willis...yes? Or would it cost too much to move back up into the first round? (I'm thinking they could spend one of their second round picks -- assuming we get it from the Cards -- and either a third round pick or a bundle of Day Two picks to move up to somewhere around selection #10-14 in the first round.)

We'd still have a second round pick left to add Joe Staley or Tony Ugoh for the O-line, or Drew Stanton.
Aard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:17 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aard View Post
If the Lions can trade down to Arizona's five spot they can get Gaines Adams there, and use a combination of picks to trade back up into the range where they can add Willis...yes? Or would it cost too much to move back up into the first round? (I'm thinking they could spend one of their second round picks -- assuming we get it from the Cards -- and either a third round pick or a bundle of Day Two picks to move up to somewhere around selection #10-14 in the first round.)

We'd still have a second round pick left to add Joe Staley or Tony Ugoh for the O-line, or Drew Stanton.
I've thought about that (moving back up), but I don't think the coaches will want to spend that many picks to move back up. This is also a very deep DE class, which means they could trade down, draft Willis, then draft a pass-rushing DE AND Stanton in round 2. And, as previously said, they like Bazuin, and he'll be there in round 3.

Drafting GAdams AND PWillis would be incredible... but I think it'd be hard to pull it off. (Although, you're right... a draft of GAdams - PWillis - DStanton - ***3rd Rd CB*** would be incredible. Hmm...)
Old 03-09-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone think Detroit should just sign Shaun McDonald instead of Curtis? He isn't much different and will cost considerably less. We did well enough with Roy and Furrey last year, that we could get by with them + McDonald again this year, and we could still take CJ if we really wanted to. At the very least, it would increase the value of #2 if teams think we could legitimatly select CJ.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Anyone think Detroit should just sign Shaun McDonald instead of Curtis? He isn't much different and will cost considerably less. We did well enough with Roy and Furrey last year, that we could get by with them + McDonald again this year, and we could still take CJ if we really wanted to. At the very least, it would increase the value of #2 if teams think we could legitimatly select CJ.
Three solid points...

1.) He'll cost less
2.) He's a very similar player
3.) It'll increase the value of the #2 pick

I agree. He knows the system and is a speed receiver. We sign him, save cap space, still get the player...

Anyone know the status of McDonald?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Aard
Rookie

Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.Aard is a cocksman.

It's the depth in this year's draft at the DE position that keeps me from wholeheartedly embracing the Gaines Adams pick. He's the best pure pass rusher available, and that's what the Lions need, but I'd almost rather see them spend two later picks to fill the need.

And (IMO) if the Lions are set on Gaines Adams in the first round, a trade down with Arizona seems mandatory -- even if they don't get comparable value (i.e., more than just the Cards' pick in round 2). Adams will be there at 1.05, and Detroit "gains" (pun intended) the extra second-round pick. A no-brainer.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's the depth in this year's draft at the DE position that keeps me from wholeheartedly embracing the Gaines Adams pick. He's the best pure pass rusher available, and that's what the Lions need, but I'd almost rather see them spend two later picks to fill the need.

And (IMO) if the Lions are set on Gaines Adams in the first round, a trade down with Arizona seems mandatory -- even if they don't get comparable value (i.e., more than just the Cards' pick in round 2). Adams will be there at 1.05, and Detroit "gains" (pun intended) the extra second-round pick. A no-brainer.
I agree about the trade down... and have been saying it for quite a while. If we really want a player, and know he'll be there later in the draft, why not trade down for ANYTHING. Sure, if we can get great picks and "even value", then we need to take it. But, any extra pick is an extra pick... and it's worth it.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:07 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I agree here completely. I don't necessarily "trust" Gaines Adams not to be different from Kalimba, and considering the DE depth, I might prefer to go in a different direction. I really like the idea of taking Bazuin in the third round. In fact, if the Lions don't take Gaines, then I would like them to draft TWO defensive ends this year in later rounds. I want Detroit to use all of their 5th rounders.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I'm a little unsure of Gaines Adams given his small size. We already have two smallish DEs in White and Kalimba. Hopefully, one of them can actually get to the QB next year. We need a base Defensive End who is good at stopping the run and also can get pressure on the Quarterback. I may be leaning more towards Jamaal Anderson depending on his pro day. Two D-Ends later on is a good idea as well if not in Round 1.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Next Year Millen2 View Post
Yeah I'm a little unsure of Gaines Adams given his small size. We already have two smallish DEs in White and Kalimba. Hopefully, one of them can actually get to the QB next year. We need a base Defensive End who is good at stopping the run and also can get pressure on the Quarterback. I may be leaning more towards Jamaal Anderson depending on his pro day. Two D-Ends later on is a good idea as well if not in Round 1.
I am starting to like Adam Carriker more than Gaines, but #5 is a tad bit too high for him.

But coming away with DE's Dan Bazuin and Jay Moore is every bit as good as taking Gaines Adams in the first.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Aard
Rookie

From the nfldraftcountdown Rankings pages:

Quote:
Gaines Adams

Strengths:
An outstanding athlete...Extremely quick and agile with very good speed...Has a tremendous first step and a great burst to close...Has very long arms and uses his hands well...Has the frame to get bigger and develop physically...Looks fluid when dropping into coverage...A terror in opponents backfields and just seems to have a knack for getting to the quarterback...Productive and disruptive...Versatile and also has the ability to play outside linebacker for a 3-4 team at the pro level.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the ideal bulk you look for and needs to add some weight...Does not play the run nearly as well as he does the pass...Needs to get stronger...Can play with better pad level and leverage...Struggles when blockers are able to lock on...Might be a bit of a DE / OLB 'tweener...Becomes somewhat one-dimensional at times...Will get overly aggressive and run himself out of plays...Intelligence???

Notes:
Played eight-man football in high school and then spent a year at Fork Union Prep before coming to Clemson and redshirting in 2002...Seriously considered coming out after his junior season but was given a very conservative grade by the NFL's underclassmen advisory panel and chose to go back to school...Has been as good as any defensive end in the nation the past two years...Top natural pass rusher.
...Intelligence???

:(

Does that word in the Weaknesses category bother anyone else? Especially with the three question marks behind it? I know you want physical defensive players who can flat-out play without having to overanalyze a situation, but this one word has left me wondering and worrying for the past ten weeks. (I've probably read Adams' NFLDC bio ten times in that span.)
Old 03-09-2007, 02:50 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
From the nfldraftcountdown Rankings pages:

...Intelligence???

:(

Does that word in the Weaknesses category bother anyone else? Especially with the three question marks behind it? I know you want physical defensive players who can flat-out play without having to overanalyze a situation, but this one word has left me wondering and worrying for the past ten weeks. (I've probably read Adams' NFLDC bio ten times in that span.)
Tis a scary word... especially with the "???"'s.

I'd look more at the player and potential and less at scores and such, but you need someone that can understand the defense.

If we COULD take Willis and Adams, i'd take it. But, if we land Willis, fill holes in round 2 and draft Bazuin, i'd be just as happy (if not more happy).

Goddamn draft... I wish it was tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/adams_gaines

Here you go Aard: A little more in depth report on Gaines Adams. Compares to Leonard Little per NFl.com's report. Ideally, Adams is an edge rusher in the Cover 2 scheme. The problem is we have 2 edge rushers already with Kalimba and White. We need a good base end for run support, unless Shaun Rogers and Redding can reek havoc by themselves against the run. With no MLB right now, that may be difficult.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Adam Carriker is the type of DE we need. We need a DE to play first and second down that is versatile (pass rush and run support). Not saying we should draft him, but I am starting to think he is a better choice than Adams. At the very least, I think he has less of a bust factor.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Adam Carriker is the type of DE we need. We need a DE to play first and second down that is versatile (pass rush and run support). Not saying we should draft him, but I am starting to think he is a better choice than Adams. At the very least, I think he has less of a bust factor.

I agee with that. Carriker seems like he would be great against the run. To get him though, I would think we would need one large trade down, which is unlikely or two trade downs, which is very unlikely. Or one trade down and reach for him. I don't like reaches though.

When is Arkansas's pro day? I wish Anderson would have worked out at the combine. Anderson played Right End in college, which is typically your base end. I think Anderson would work at Right End with one trade down if we knew more about him. I wish juniors could play in the Senior Bowl. Change the name to All-Star bowl. Right now Anderson is risky too with only one good year of production in college.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I agee with that. Carriker seems like he would be great against the run. To get him though, I would think we would need one large trade down, which is unlikely or two trade downs, which is very unlikely. Or one trade down and reach for him. I don't like reaches though.
Well, we'd have to remain in the top ten. Miami, San Francisco, and Pittsburgh are all threats to take him, as well as Washington if they manage to deal down a bit (as reported).
Old 03-09-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/adams_gaines

Here you go Aard: A little more in depth report on Gaines Adams. Compares to Leonard Little per NFl.com's report. Ideally, Adams is an edge rusher in the Cover 2 scheme. The problem is we have 2 edge rushers already with Kalimba and White. We need a good base end for run support, unless Shaun Rogers and Redding can reek havoc by themselves against the run. With no MLB right now, that may be difficult.
Also, an interview w/ Adams . . .

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...ory?id=2791997
Old 03-09-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Quote:
Well, we'd have to remain in the top ten. Miami, San Francisco, and Pittsburgh are all threats to take him, as well as Washington if they manage to deal down a bit (as reported).
Wow, Carriker is ranked higher than I thought he was. Then a trade with Houston/Miami would be the only way. If Marinelli really liked him and thought he was better than Anderson/Adams I wouldn't be opposed to it provided we got good value in the trade with Houston.

Houston probably wouldn't have to trade that high with us if they wanted Quinn, unless they wanted Joe Thomas. However, I think the Texans just signed Jordan Black and are high on Charles Spencer at LT, so that is unlikely. I don't see Miami trading up that far either.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:31 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

All of this talk about DEs... what about Victor Abiamiri in round 2 (or any other 2nd round DEs)?

Someone that isn't just a pass-rusher, but can play every down.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
All of this talk about DEs... what about Victor Abiamiri in round 2 (or any other 2nd round DEs)?

Someone that isn't just a pass-rusher, but can play every down.
I like Abiamiri too. Scotty, Wingy, and I wanted him in the forum mock.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:26 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I like Abiamiri too. Scotty, Wingy, and I wanted him in the forum mock.
Hehe... so did I. I actually messaged someone, asking them to take him with their second 2nd round pick (or to trade back up and grab him).

If we trade down, we could take Willis, Stanton, Abiamiri, Bazuin and *Best CB Available* in the first 3 rounds.

That would be quite a draft.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Mythos
Rookie

Mythos hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Abiamiri over Spencer?
Mythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
Hehe... so did I. I actually messaged someone, asking them to take him with their second 2nd round pick (or to trade back up and grab him).

If we trade down, we could take Willis, Stanton, Abiamiri, Bazuin and *Best CB Available* in the first 3 rounds.

That would be quite a draft.
Nah, I'd rather get Blalock than Abiamiri if we are gonna get Bazuin at 66. I like the idea of adding two DE's in the draft, but not both on the first day.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:57 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Nah, I'd rather get Blalock than Abiamiri if we are gonna get Bazuin at 66. I like the idea of adding two DE's in the draft, but not both on the first day.
Interesting.

It would be nice to add a stud OG... someone to solidify the position for years. But, i'd rather use that pick at CB if we take Willis in round 1 and Bazuin in round 3.