Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 07-27-2009, 11:34 AM    (permalink
JwHoJwEeZy
Rookie

JwHoJwEeZy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default 2009 & 2010 Patriots Draft

well first off, i liked the 2009 drafting done by the pats. not only did we secure ourselves THREE 2nd round picks in 2010, but we also got some pretty good steals in the 09 draft as well. Pat Chung is a controversial pick, and obviously made in order to get another hard-hitting safety to replace rodney harrison, but i think Chung will prove to be a starter in a year or 2 and his special teams value will also be valuable (hard hitting and fast). Ron Brace was an excellent pick in my opinion, not only is he a big 6'3 330lbs nose tackle but his skills were put somewhat in the shadows of B.J. Raji, and with Vince Wilfork being a real a-hole and requesting a huge paycheck Brace will be an excellent replacement. Darius Butler was also a great pickup and was arguably the best corner in the draft, and with a very old Shawn Springs could be a great 2nd corner next to Leigh Bodden. Brandon Tate was also an incredible grab and was projected as a 1st rounder until he had a injury and after he is off the PUP list will be a great target for Brady.
JwHoJwEeZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 AM    (permalink
JwHoJwEeZy
Rookie

As for the 2010 Draft: The pats drafting strategy is simple, draft quantity rather then quality --> then sort through the quantity for the great steal and have this steal for very little $. This was seen in the 09 draft where the pats traded down over and over again, praying on other teams desperateness, and getting a bunch of steals and possible starters for a low price tag. However in the 2010 draft, with a 1st, Three 2nd's, and a 3rd; the patriots have all the tools to have an incredible draft. now the patriots have, before the draft even begins, all the picks that they traded down so vigorously to get, so you can imagine that the Pats will change it up in 2010 and keep their 1st rounder and maybe even trade for another 1st-round or earlier 2nd-round pick. They would do this because of their many contact year players who will need quality replacements.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 AM    (permalink
JwHoJwEeZy
Rookie

If I could have it any way, I'd want the patriots to somehow get Taylor Mays SS of USC. I know this may be a stretch but he is actually tailor fit to be in the Patriots offense. At 6'3 230lbs. is very close to Rodney Harrison's 6'1 220lbs. and the two Strong Safeties share an almost identical playing style. If I was Bellicheck, I would make it my #1 priority in 2010 to acquire Taylor Mays
Old 07-27-2009, 03:12 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JwHoJwEeZy View Post
well first off, i liked the 2009 drafting done by the pats. not only did we secure ourselves THREE 2nd round picks in 2010, but we also got some pretty good steals in the 09 draft as well. Pat Chung is a controversial pick, and obviously made in order to get another hard-hitting safety to replace rodney harrison, but i think Chung will prove to be a starter in a year or 2 and his special teams value will also be valuable (hard hitting and fast). Ron Brace was an excellent pick in my opinion, not only is he a big 6'3 330lbs nose tackle but his skills were put somewhat in the shadows of B.J. Raji, and with Vince Wilfork being a real a-hole and requesting a huge paycheck Brace will be an excellent replacement. Darius Butler was also a great pickup and was arguably the best corner in the draft, and with a very old Shawn Springs could be a great 2nd corner next to Leigh Bodden. Brandon Tate was also an incredible grab and was projected as a 1st rounder until he had a injury and after he is off the PUP list will be a great target for Brady.
????

I don't think that's really the case here. Wilfork is the prototype for 34 NT in the NFL. He is, if not the best, then top 3 NTs and deserves to be paid. He has also said he is not looking anywhere near Haynesworth type money. I also refer you to Josh Cribbs' case. He didn't show up for OTAs or minicamp. Wilfork protested by not going to OTAs but when manditory workouts started he was there. Wilfork will be in camp working out and helping his team hoping for a deal. Asante Samuel didn't show up when he was looking his money. I think Wilfork has been a professional about the whole situation

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:32 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree that Vince has been a true professional with his contract situation. Pay the man his money. V-Weazy and Brace could be a lethal combo for years to come and I want them both.

Great value by pick/round this year and the contracts they command are nice and low. So I agree this year's draft was excellent value-wise. However, until I see a pass rush that generates more than the middle of the pack total of 31 last year I will reserve judgement on the draft. Too many potential pass rushers passed up in all or our draft day trading.

Love the extra 2nd round picks. Total score there, but that depends on the pass rush, too.

Taylor Mays won't be a Pat. He will go too high and NE won't have a dire need there to bother trading up.

Welcome to the fun.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah our saftey situation looks good now, Mays is a beast at FS but we wouldn't use our first pick on a safety yet again. We should look at a pass rusher or a DL if we lose one of them to FA, at least thats how it looks now. OL, CB, WR, and RB could all be needs too.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OLB hopefully. Burgess is not a long-term solution.
Well, unless Woods or Crable blow up this year

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:54 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hardy or Selvie could be possibilities if they fall that far.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Hardy or Selvie could be possibilities if they fall that far.
In my mock I had Hardy going and that would be great as of now. Obviously if AD and Burgess play really well and Crable and/or Woods step it up then pass rusher may not be a top necessity.

Im starting to think if either are available I would take Rolando McLain or Brandon Spikes and have a scary pair of ILBs. All also depends on whether the 3-4 is staying. If we go 4-3 we may need a good WILL.

Outside bets would be on a first round RB like Spiller as well.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It should probably be one of the receivers or a TE, though. They'll find a stop-gap at WR every year (e.g. Galloway, Lewis) without any problems, but it's worth it to take a shot at someone who could be a beast for 5 or 6 years like Benn, Bryant, Greshem, et al.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:56 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I was thinking along those lines but unless Benn, Bryant or Gresham were to fall then I don't see that being the route. Especially with the Brandon Tate selection this year I think it gives a little more wiggle room to build a real powerhouse defense before the offense needs overhauled

Old 08-27-2009, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DL or OLB, possibly even OL, but they seem to have a bunch of young guys they like (Vollmer, guys they drafted this year etc.)
Old 08-28-2009, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The pass rush clearly needs an impact player added. Merriman is a free agent after this season as well, I wouldn't be opposed to looking his direction if he comes back a beast this year. If Seymour leaves, we are going to need a DE and probably will take one as early as we can. Everyone knows the importance of those players in our defense. I like Chung and I'm happy we picked up a safety, but if we waited until this year then we could've picked up a stud. Berry, Mays, Chad Jones, Morgan Burnett, Reshad Jones...there are some ridiculously talented safeties that will be eligible after this year. I think Chad Jones could be the best pure athlete in college football.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OT, DE, OLB, ILB, RB
That's what i think we need to focus on in the upcoming draft

Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
OT, DE, OLB, ILB, RB
That's what i think we need to focus on in the upcoming draft
Maroney WILL show he can be the man!!

Wishful thinking can't hurt, right?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maroney needs a change of scenery in the worst way. Atlanta would be a great place for him to end up if Turner continues to burn out.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:18 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Ya, I'm done with Maroney. I was a huge fan, and he was the guy I wanted the Pats to draft that year...but I'm done. He might be great somewhere else, but it's time for the Pats to bring someone else in.

If they're in a position to get CJ Spiller, that's who I want in 2010.

All the other weak spots on the team have gotten stronger and stronger as the weeks go by. It's really hard to gauge their real needs.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CJ Spiller would be a better fit for what we do with the ball. At the very least he would be a competent replacement to Kevin Faulk. I wouldn't take him in the first though. I would rather bolster our line or receiving core, or draft an OLB capable of generating a pass rush.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-30-2009, 09:01 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Maroney wouldn't crack the lineup in Atlanta. Norwood is a solid change of pace back and Turner is far from burning out. He is as good as he looked last year. The only difference is the schedule. Playing the AFC West + the Rams & Lions makes it easy to show off your talent. Swapping those scrub teams for the AFC & NFC East makes a world of difference.

Oline & OLB have to be the top picks in 2010. I don't care if it means spending our 1st (#32!!) and Tennessee's 2nd (#33!!) on 2 OLBs to make sure we end up with one solid player for the next decade.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:46 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Tully Banta-Cain and Willie Mcginest are the only OLB's the Patriots have ever drafted that have ended up being regular starters for them. McGinest only had one 10+ sack season (1995). The Patriots just don't draft early enough in the draft to get someone who would fit into what they want to do with the position outside of free agency or developing a late round pick.

Burgess and TBC are becoming more versatile each week. Burgess was brought in late... I think the two are a solid tandem and are getting better. I don't see anyone in the draft that will be available to them who will be able to start over what the Pats already have. The only guy I'd see them taking in the first round is Greg Hardy.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Tully Banta-Cain and Willie Mcginest are the only OLB's the Patriots have ever drafted that have ended up being regular starters for them. McGinest only had one 10+ sack season (1995). The Patriots just don't draft early enough in the draft to get someone who would fit into what they want to do with the position outside of free agency or developing a late round pick.

Burgess and TBC are becoming more versatile each week. Burgess was brought in late... I think the two are a solid tandem and are getting better. I don't see anyone in the draft that will be available to them who will be able to start over what the Pats already have. The only guy I'd see them taking in the first round is Greg Hardy.
I hope you're wrong. We continue to lag behind other teams in terms of pressuring the quarterback. Burgess and Banta Cain might be versatile, but they aren't starters on a 3-4 team with competent linebackers. We know that. Neither of them played a whole hell of a lot for their respective teams(both of whom had rather weak pass rushers as well) last year. Tully is a useful depth player because he can situationally pass rush, but he isn't useful beyond that. Poor when he's doing anything else than running in the backfield. Pierre Woods isn't a starter for anyone else either. He just isn't all that talented. Shawn Crable hasn't played in two years and it wouldn't surprise me if he never takes a snap for up. Rob Ninkovich isn't Mike Vrabel and we're so desperate for depth that we brought in Junior yet again.

Finding guys late isn't a bad idea, you can do that...but you have to take them. There were guys to be had after the first round last year but we didn't pull the trigger. We came away with an extremely decent class of guys, but we also didn't do anything to fill a legit need where there were guys staring us right in the face. Clay Matthews, Connor Barwin, Everette Brown, Rey Maualuga(who is looking really good at SSLB)...we passed on all of them and all of those guys have gotten playing time already for their respective teams. You can't just go on for years without addressing an issue. We got old fast at the linebacker position and we haven't done anything really besides bring in a bunch of scrubs and hope for the best.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 10-30-2009, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I couldn't agree more. An OLB with pass rushing ability is what we need still in the worse way.
Just bc the rookie might not be able to make an immediate impact is no reason to not draft one.
That's what grooming is all about. At least we addressed the issue.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nate Collins UVA DE/DT: What do you guys think of him. I haven't seen him play but he was getting praise in another thread. Sounded like an interesting prospect and someone we could definitely use

Old 11-09-2009, 07:36 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i dont know about you guys, but maroney has looked great the last few weeks. hitting the hole hard, not too much dancing, hes been pretty damn good imo.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:38 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
i dont know about you guys, but maroney has looked great the last few weeks. hitting the hole hard, not too much dancing, hes been pretty damn good imo.
I saw dancing. He's been better, but he still clicks his heels together(practically) on every run.

R.I.P. Junior Seau