Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-30-2009, 06:27 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Study Abroad

Alright so I currently looking into studying abroad during the next academic year (a year from now) and I am trying to figure out the best country to do so. So I was hoping some people here would have some good stories or advice from previous abroad experiences or anyone with any good travel stories is more then welcome to share input.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

any specific Continent?

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:31 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pierce2walker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

mainly looking at Europe because it provides more opportunities to travel around, but I'm relatively open...just hoping to hear some stories or opinions
Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Come to Australia. I hear Forenci and APS are coming out here so you may as well join! (Unless you have ginger hair like vikes)

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:33 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My cousin got an opportunity in 2006 from his university to go to England and study at Oxford University and it was for like a whole semester and he really enjoyed every minute of it. He use to be a shy kid but now he is a really outgoing kid because of the trip. He has told me numerous of times to try to study abroad as well but I haven't had the chance to go on one yet.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:39 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My best friend is about to come back from Japan from his semester abroad. He loved it over there.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:52 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How much do they usually cost?(to go to Europe)
mo drew gets about 16 touches a game on offense (on a good day), and will run circles around ray rice. rice has no speed, 2nd burst or agility. he's a strong midget. How can anyone be excited about that.
John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:08 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Ive heard Australia is awesome, but also really similar to Southern California, which is where I go to school (UC San Diego).

I have also heard good things about Japan, but a lot of the programs offered are very technical (engineering, math, science...etc) and I'm a double major in Communications and History (not so technical).

Cost really depends on the program. Most of the ones offered through my school are around 20-30k for the year long program, which is relatively comparable to my current tuition.

I think I may be looking to go somewhere that isn't one of the most common places to go abroad (I feel like Spain, Italy, UK, and Australia are the most common). Kinda looking to go somewhere a bit different. Maybe looking towards Denmark, the Netherlands, or maybe even South America. But like I said I'm open to anything if it is the right program.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:10 PM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I lived in Germany, and it is absolutely fantastic. I would reccomend there for sure. Germans were always extremely nice and there are lots of places to travel to. Beautiful country, and beautiful girls in the big cities. Just don't live in the middle of no where like I did...bunch of ugly girls there.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.
the decider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:33 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was so hoping this thread would be about this

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol you beat me to it. I was gonna make a joke about studying a broad also.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Germany has been a consideration being that I took German in high school, but that isn't too much of a factor because I want a program with classes in English anyways.

And in regards to studying a broad...I can assure that will be an integral part of the experience.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd go to Austrailia since there is no language barrier and it's cooler than England.

I'd feel so uncomfortable living in a place where I couldn't understand everyone. Sure you could still take classes in english, but what about everything else?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:09 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Go to this school in Italy( Rome or Florence) if you're only looking to have fun and not learn. haha
http://www.johncabot.edu/

You go to class mon-thursday ( if you want) and it is a cake walk. You can travel all you want on the weekends.

If you're looking to actually learn I got some spots for ya too.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:31 PM    (permalink
NotRickJames
Veteran

NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotRickJames is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depends on your major. What's yours?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:35 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

GB12- I've actually been to Europe once before and was shocked at how many people spoke great English, so I'm not too concerned about getting around. Also most programs include a 3-4 week intensive language program at the start so you can learn enough things to get around town.

Titletown088- please do elaborate on whatever else you know or have advice on.

NotRickJames- I'm a double major in Communications and History
Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
I'd go to Austrailia since there is no language barrier and it's cooler than England.

I'd feel so uncomfortable living in a place where I couldn't understand everyone. Sure you could still take classes in english, but what about everything else?
Everyone in europe speaks english unless you go to small towns in Italy/spain ect. Besides its fun to try and communicate in the vernacular language with the locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
Titletown088- please do elaborate on whatever else you know or have advice on.

NotRickJames- I'm a double major in Communications and History
Well... I studied abroad in Rome for a year and loved it. I would probably go there or somewhere in Germany/Austria if I had the chance to go back. Let me know if you have any specific questions about any schools in Rome. I would know most. I am a double major too, history being one of them. And I went to school in rome strictly for history and Italian.
Girl wise I would rank the countries as follows.

1. Sweden
2 Italy
3. Germanic countries.
4. spain.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Eaglez.Fan
All-Pro

Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure if you've ever been to Rome or not, but it is actually very easy to get around only on English. I've been to Spain and France, and Rome was probably the best city in terms of English, I didn't go to one restaurant that didn't speak English. Rome is also an awesome city.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually work at a study abroad office and have studied abroad myself. Honestly, I would do Europe. You will be traveling with the most other students and travel is easier in Europe than anywhere and you can see a ton of countries (I got to 9 during my semester). If not Europe, I would go to Japan (but only if you know Japanese, if not its really stupid) or Australia as it attracts a fair number of students and Australians are a good bunch to party with. Seriously tho, do Europe if its a full semester. You will be traveling with a ton of people and see the biggest landmarks in the world. The people generally speak English, travel is easy. They are on America's level (for the most part) technology wise, etc. You cant go wrong. If it was for just a winter or summer program (which are like 2-3 weeks) I would recommend something more exotic, but I have been to some exotic places and for an entire semester it would be hairy. Not even in the typical way......stuff like internet, phone issues, etc......
Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088
Well... I studied abroad in Rome for a year and loved it. I would probably go there or somewhere in Germany/Austria if I had the chance to go back. Let me know if you have any specific questions about any schools in Rome. I would know most. I am a double major too, history being one of them. And I went to school in rome strictly for history and Italian.
Girl wise I would rank the countries as follows.

1. Sweden
2 Italy
3. Germanic countries.
4. spain.
Yea I would most likely take mainly history courses (they seem to be commonly taught, an in English, at European universities) and also classes to fill some basic GE's

Last edited by pierce2walker : 07-30-2009 at 09:13 PM.
pierce2walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And as far as cities, I would go to Rome or Paris for my central location. I think they are the two cities with the most to do. More importantly tho, they are good central locations for travel.

*** Some people hate on Paris a lot btw, I personally loved it tho.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

PW,

are you doing an exchange or a program through your school with other people?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:12 PM    (permalink
pierce2walker
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
PW,

are you doing an exchange or a program through your school with other people?
Its a program through the school. More specifically through the University of California school system. I am also leaning towards going for a whole year abroad as I feel like it would deepen the cultural experience, although a semester is definitely still in play. And Rome and Paris both would be nice, but I have already been to both and honestly I'm kind of looking for somewhere that isn't where a lot of people go (I feel like France and Italy are quite common). I've been looking a lot into Denmark and the Netherlands lately. Any advice or opinions on either of the two?

Last edited by pierce2walker : 07-30-2009 at 09:18 PM.
pierce2walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Germany, ftw.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce2walker View Post
Its a program through the school. More specifically through the University of California school system. I am also leaning towards going for a whole year abroad as I feel like it would deepen the cultural experience, although a semester is definitely still in play. And Rome and Paris both would be nice, but I have already been to both and honestly I'm kind of looking for somewhere that isn't where a lot of people go (I feel like France and Italy are quite common). I've been looking a lot into Denmark and the Netherlands lately. Any advice or opinions on either of the two?

Where in the Netherlands. Amsterdam is tremendous, but for a whole year idk. I am sure other cities would be great, I have only been to Amsterdam tho. Ask Wicket. Denmark I have heard is really nice, but again and entire year there might be meh. I did a program where I spent 6 weeks each in Paris, Dublin and Rome and that worked for me. I liked the movement.

But, a year would be cool. Sounds like you have been all over Western Europe tho. In that case I would switch it up tbh. Either go somewhere you havent been in Europe (I assume Denmark fits) and use that location to explore new countries (Scandanavia region I would guess). Outside of Europe tho, if you have Japanese, I would go there hands down. Australia is also really awesome. India is an awesome country, I loved it, but I wouldnt go there for a semester. Other non European options that are awesome: Beunos Aires in Argentina and Brazilian cities. Africa is kinda tough, I would recommend it for a year altho it would be awesome for a winter or summer program (I will actually be heading to Egypt this winter).

*** Actually, Buenos Aires is an epic win. Strongly consider that if you want to go outside of Europe, but still be in a city with a European feel.

Last edited by Rob S : 07-30-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote