Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
anyone still want jason smith over stafford?
Or Aaron Curry. My third favorite prospect ever after John Elway and Jake Locker, love what's going on there in motown.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:51 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Or Aaron Curry. My third favorite prospect ever after John Elway and Jake Locker, love what's going on there in motown.
I remember many of debates of me and u being the only ones here defending stafford
Old 09-26-2011, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
I remember many of debates of me and u being the only ones here defending stafford
I think mine was BJ Raji and a 2nd round LT.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:12 AM    (permalink
no bare feet
Veteran

no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought Matt Stafford was the no brainer and I will stand by that until the day I die.
no bare feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:28 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no bare feet View Post
I thought Matt Stafford was the no brainer and I will stand by that until the day I die.
I knew he was a great prospect but I thought the O-Line would give him the David Carr treatment.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 09-29-2011, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I had some concerns about Stafford accuracy but he has long put those to rest. I firmly believe in the golden rule 'that if you don't have a franchise QB, you draft a potential one if given the opportunity'. You don't put it off for any other reason and you keep drafting QB's till you get it right.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:32 AM    (permalink
no bare feet
Veteran

no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.no bare feet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thoughts on Matt's season? Pretty amazing overall.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's been greater than my wildest dreams. I was concerned about the hits that he was taking earlier in his career. I thought that although he had a shaky oline, it was mostly due to horrible presnap recognition by Stafford. Stafford has greatly improved in that area and at times has looked unstoppable due to knowing his matchups and executing the throws. I had a few issues with his accuracy in a couple games, but absolutely no complaints. His throws are a thing of beauty.

421 Completions 663 Attempts 5,038 Yards 63.5% 7.60 YPA 41 TDs 16Ints 97.2 Rating 36 Sacks

He led the league in Attempts(how about that for being injury prone?), 2nd in completions, 5th in completion %, 3rd in Yards, 3rd in TDs, 5th in Rating. The 36 sacks are high, but guess what? Aaron Rodgers had 36 sacks as well.

In my mind the QB hierarchy at this moment goes Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Peyton at top in some order. I'd put Stafford and Eli in that next tier battling for 5th place. Stafford won that battle this year.

As he continues to develop, I want to see his sack numbers drop to the 20s and the interceptions late in games to go away. 16 interceptions is still a very respectable number for leading the league in passing attempts. All the skills are there, its just polishing time. Stability on our coaching staff will enable him to challenge Aaron Rodgers and replace Manning/Brady in that top tier after a few more seasons.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:58 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's been a great year for stafford and everyone can breath a little easier when it comes to Stafford. The beauty of a true franchise QB is that he hides the flaws of the offense. One of the worst running games in the NFL and a average OL. Even if the lions gets blown at in the playoffs now you are more attractable to free agents and still have draft picks.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNMcw...layer_embedded

A good highlight video of Stafford's season.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
no bare feet
Veteran

What's happening with Mattheww??!??!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lions lead the league in passing yards and Stafford his best completion percentage of his career right now. Redzone not the same this year though with 4 passing and 1 rushing TD to 4 ints(but zero the last 2 games after 3 ints then 1). Drops and pressure in the redzone are more to blame IMO though and for the losses special teams(Min/Ten) and poor defense(San Fran/Titans 2 big plays).

27 against the Rams, 27 before injury against the Titans, 19 is tough against the 49ers, Lions scored 19 last year against San Fran and then Minnesota drops and redzone pressure on a 300 yard day.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:52 PM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matthew Stafford is about to sign a three-year extension reportedly worth $53 million, including $41.5 million guaranteed. The deal reportedly includes a $27.5 million signing bonus, and will net Stafford $76.5 million between now and 2017. The extension should be officially announced within the next 48 hours.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like to say I am a Matty Staff lover. That is all.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and football is only the 2nd best thing in his life.

...lucky bastard.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

The girl is hot don't get me wrong but ... I'd take the 71 million dollars

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-22-2014, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder if a QB has ever had a 3 year stretch, before turning 26, of 14,500 yards and 90 TDs.

I also wonder if people realize that Stafford is already probably better than Eli at any point in his career.

Food for thought.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus View Post
I wonder if a QB has ever had a 3 year stretch, before turning 26, of 14,500 yards and 90 TDs.

I also wonder if people realize that Stafford is already probably better than Eli at any point in his career.

Food for thought.
Eli took the Giants, a team about as talented as Detroit, to 2 Super Bowl wins. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'll take wins over stats every day of the year.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Eli took the Giants, a team about as talented as Detroit, to 2 Super Bowl wins. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I'll take wins over stats every day of the year.
Eli's defenses produced better than Detroit's 2013. Equal talent or not.

Eli's 2007 was very poor. Nice playoff run 6 TDs and 1 int and 60.5%

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...07/eli-manning

Stafford did have a similar year to Eli 2007. It was 2012 20 TDs(plus 4 rushing) and 17 ints and the Lions went 4-12.

Eli's 2011 was better. 29 TDs though, which Stafford matched this season. 31 turnovers from the Giants D though, Detroit only had 22 in 2013. And a very nice 9 TD and 1 int playoff run for Eli. I think Stafford could go on a run like that in the playoffs. Had a very nice game in his lone playoff game but the Saints offense in the Super Dome was just too much for the Lions injury riddled secondary.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelo...11/eli-manning
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:19 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

What is more important is that Stafford hasn't improved one iota the last 2 years which is why we are switching HC's, in hopes that there is still another level he can reach. Only time will tell if he has that higher level in him or what you have seen is what you will continue to get. Of course, we are all hoping for the former.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
What is more important is that Stafford hasn't improved one iota the last 2 years which is why we are switching HC's, in hopes that there is still another level he can reach. Only time will tell if he has that higher level in him or what you have seen is what you will continue to get. Of course, we are all hoping for the former.
Agreed, he is the same QB he was 3 years ago and that's an issue. We gave him a running game and a safety read with Bush and that didn't elevate his game any further. His mental lapses haven't changed and nothing has improved in a considerable amount of time.

Cross our fingers.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It shoudl also be pointed out that his INT% over those 14,500 yards,90 TDs and over 2000 attempts was 2.6. That is equal to Brees and Manning's career rates, which were both greatly lowered in their later years.

Another big factor IMO is that even when QBs get by with lesser WRs(which is very rare unless you are Brady), they are with these guys in the offseason, in camp and in practice every day. The last 2 years Stafford lost his 2nd and 3rd WRs pretty quickly into the season and in 2012 his 4th as well. You can't just plug guys, especially street bums, into your offense and expect things to go smoothly. Not to mention losing Best in 2012 as well.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
Agreed, he is the same QB he was 3 years ago and that's an issue. We gave him a running game and a safety read with Bush and that didn't elevate his game any further. His mental lapses haven't changed and nothing has improved in a considerable amount of time.

Cross our fingers.
We also gave him the league's worst TEs and WRs(beyond Calvin obviously) and that safety read missed 2 games, dropped 10 balls and fumbled 5 more. We also never found a way to get Bush and Bell on the field together, so we always had 3 weak spots out of 5. Plus Calvin was so ineffective down the stretch, for his standards.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:58 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

It's my opinion that true great QB's can get by with weaker WR's and still make them look good. So Stafford still has something to prove. It is also my opinion that the Lions quit playing hard for Schwartz which could have impacted Stafford's performances.

I think we all believe that this season could be special and are hoping that Stafford really benefits from the coaching changes, I don't know how tough our schedule will be but I'll be hugely disappointed if we don't make a strong SB run. Enough with the excuses, produce or we'll be looking at a rebuild, it's now or never IMO.