Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 03-11-2007, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Slasher28
Rookie

Slasher28 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizmoandchodey View Post
i would've definitely liked to see Willis McGahee in a giants uniform come the 2007 season
That's what we should've done with our money and i'd give up a couple of 3rd round draft picks for him

Sig thanks to the amazing jackalope
Slasher28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Slasher28
Rookie

Slasher28 needs more cowbell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I initially wanted a DeShawn Wynn type of backup RB, but now that we got Droughns, we really need to get a skatback.

The guys on my list are in this order:

Lorenzo Booker
Darius Walker
Garrett Wolffe

Im very big on Garrett Wolffe. He can be a late round gem. I think he can be converted into a WR/RB hybrid. Use him in a similar fashion to how NO uses Bush, and how Carolina uses Steve Smith. We can use him on reverses, use him out of the backfield on 3rd down, line him up at WR.

He has great hands, can stop and cut on a dime, and great speed, he can work in a hybrid role. And he's tough, he plays much bigger than he is, so if you limit him to RB in 3rd and long situations, or spread situations, I think he can be very effective.

For a 6th rounder, why not? He would be a project, but a worthy one that late in the draft.
for us
Garrett Wolffe=Sinorice Moss
They are very similar and moss is probably better

Sig thanks to the amazing jackalope
Slasher28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

hugepunch hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Giants | Team looking to soften Droughns' roster bonus
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 08:24:59 -0800

Vinny DiTrani, of The Bergen Record, reports the New York Giants are looking to soften RB Reuben Droughns' $1.75 million roster bonus due March 17.

http://www.kffl.com/team/26/nfl
Old 03-11-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher28 View Post
for us
Garrett Wolffe=Sinorice Moss
They are very similar and moss is probably better
Garrett Wolfe is alot tougher than Moss. Moss is faster, but now way as strong, and could be too frail to really hack it in the NFL. He won't get off the press unless he hits the weight room. He provides nothing up the middle. Right now, he's simply way too small.

Wolffe, while small as well, is very strong for his size, plays bigger than his size, and is not affraid of contact. With his history at RB, if you line him up at WR and run reverses with him, he'll probably have more success than Sinorice.

He provides a presence in the backfield in the pass game, something that Sinorice can't do. Sinorice is strictly a WR.

I think both are equal in screen pass ability.

Sinorice is the more polished WR, but I think with development, Wolffe can be just as good. Don't let Sinorice's draft position fool you. Just because he was a round 2 WR, doesn't instantly mean that he has better skills than Wolffe.

I think its a worthy gamble that late in the draft. He can provide an insurance policy behind Moss, he can be a decent #4 receiver, and he can provide some change of pace in the backfield. He'd be a great 3rd and long RB out of the backfield.

If he's undrafted, or there in the 7th, we have nothing to lose. Might as well give him a chance. He's your typical example of a baller. He might not have the size etc, but get him on the field and he'll make plays. I have no problem going after a guy like him in the 6th, 7th, or even undrafted FA list.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I initially wanted a DeShawn Wynn type of backup RB, but now that we got Droughns, we really need to get a skatback.

The guys on my list are in this order:

Lorenzo Booker
Darius Walker
Garrett Wolffe

Im very big on Garrett Wolffe. He can be a late round gem. I think he can be converted into a WR/RB hybrid. Use him in a similar fashion to how NO uses Bush, and how Carolina uses Steve Smith. We can use him on reverses, use him out of the backfield on 3rd down, line him up at WR.

He has great hands, can stop and cut on a dime, and great speed, he can work in a hybrid role. And he's tough, he plays much bigger than he is, so if you limit him to RB in 3rd and long situations, or spread situations, I think he can be very effective.

For a 6th rounder, why not? He would be a project, but a worthy one that late in the draft.
Indeed, I've been pretty big on him, but can he catch? I know led the NCAA in rushing, but I'm not sure of his receiving ability. Suppose it wouldn't hurt to check the stats.

Unsure of his ability to play on Special Teams, because he injured at the Senior Bowl. One of the reasons why he dropped so much actually. If he could return kicks for us too, would be worth a 6th round pick.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:12 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Indeed, I've been pretty big on him, but can he catch? I know led the NCAA in rushing, but I'm not sure of his receiving ability. Suppose it wouldn't hurt to check the stats.

Unsure of his ability to play on Special Teams, because he injured at the Senior Bowl. One of the reasons why he dropped so much actually. If he could return kicks for us too, would be worth a 6th round pick.
He doesn't have much history returning kicks. From what Ive seen, he has solid hands. We'll get a much better idea of his abilities once you get him in training camp. I think for a late pick like a 6th or 7th, Id be willing to take the gamble on him. I think the raw potential is there, it just has to be remolded.

A good coach can mold him and harnish his potential. Even if that potential is strictly as a situational player. Thats fine with me for that late of a pick anyway.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:21 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

im really looking forward to this season i think everyone around the league forgets how much talent we have. we were so depleted last year with injurys its not even funny. i tihnk most giant fans agree our season depends on eli and how far he can take us. but back on topic i cant wait to see sinorice play hes got great hands great burst and quickness with good speed. i think he can be a good receiver if we give him the chance. maybe not as good as santana but he can be good.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepunch View Post
im really looking forward to this season i think everyone around the league forgets how much talent we have. we were so depleted last year with injurys its not even funny. i tihnk most giant fans agree our season depends on eli and how far he can take us. but back on topic i cant wait to see sinorice play hes got great hands great burst and quickness with good speed. i think he can be a good receiver if we give him the chance. maybe not as good as santana but he can be good.
I think alot of people (Giant fans included) are underrating our in house talent. We have guys who can make plays, we just have to give them a shot.

How can we write off Wilkinson after what was essentially his rookie year learning a new position? How can we write off Chase when all he does is make plays when he's on the field?

Our dline can be great if our DEs don't get hit with another atomic bomb. We have a new system that will use Pierce to his strengths, and our defensive talent as a whole to its strengths.

Offensively we will go back to the Giant way: the power run game. Its about time. So that could open up some things. Hopefully Gilbride adjusts the playbook (doubt it).

So I wouldn't write us off just yet. The Giants are notorious for overachieving in years where we're written off, and underachieving in years where we're expected to play well.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:35 PM    (permalink
hugepunch
Rookie

Quote:
I think alot of people (Giant fans included) are underrating our in house talent. We have guys who can make plays, we just have to give them a shot.

How can we write off Wilkinson after what was essentially his rookie year learning a new position? How can we write off Chase when all he does is make plays when he's on the field?

Our dline can be great if our DEs don't get hit with another atomic bomb. We have a new system that will use Pierce to his strengths, and our defensive talent as a whole to its strengths.

Offensively we will go back to the Giant way: the power run game. Its about time. So that could open up some things. Hopefully Gilbride adjusts the playbook (doubt it).

So I wouldn't write us off just yet. The Giants are notorious for overachieving in years where we're written off, and underachieving in years where we're expected to play well.
yea we have very good in house talent hopefully they get there shot this year. im real pumped with spags running the d its time for big blue to bring back our trademark. power-football. run down your f'n throat 30 times a game football. i cant wait for jacobs to showcase his talent.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugepunch View Post
yea we have very good in house talent hopefully they get there shot this year. im real pumped with spags running the d its time for big blue to bring back our trademark. power-football. run down your f'n throat 30 times a game football. i cant wait for jacobs to showcase his talent.
Hopefully we commit to the run game that way. But with Coughlin, I doubt it. We're still gonna be an Air Coryell team. We need to become a more run oriented team, but I just don't see Coughlin doing that. He hasn't adjusted in 3 years. He probably won't ever change.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:13 PM    (permalink
niu007

Quote:
He doesn't have much history returning kicks. From what Ive seen, he has solid hands. We'll get a much better idea of his abilities once you get him in training camp. I think for a late pick like a 6th or 7th, Id be willing to take the gamble on him. I think the raw potential is there, it just has to be remolded.

A good coach can mold him and harnish his potential. Even if that potential is strictly as a situational player. Thats fine with me for that late of a pick anyway.
I've seen Wolfe play a lot, since i went to NIU. He has solid hands out of the backfield, I think he's caught about 20 passes each of the last 2 years. I've only seen him drop a couple, and those were on plays he was about to get nailed for a loss after he caught it, so it's prolly just as well he didn't. I've seen him make a couple of one-hand grabs too. Normally he's catching softer passes, not ones where the QB is rifling the ball in there like they do to receivers, so I don't know how good he is at those. He returned a few kicks early on before he became a starter but I don't know how he'll do there. He's fast, but most kick returners are faster, I think. Hopefully he'll be able to contribute there. I'd like to see him get some touches, he's fun to watch. I think he'd be a good pick up in the 6th or 7th round.