Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-02-2010, 09:26 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like I have some volunteers to come grade papers for me.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Would said papers make me want to punt small animals and/or stab my eyes out?

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
would said papers earn me money?!?

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Would said papers make me want to punt small animals and/or stab my eyes out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
would said papers earn me money?!?
Yes

and

No

Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would said papers give me the adresses to the kids' houses?
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Then I'll go with no.

A main reason I decided not to be a teacher was fear that I'd have to punch a kid out of annoyance.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:43 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes

and

No
as a broke college student, i will have to decline doing anything not involving video games, sports, drinking, smoking, sleeping, or women that isnt for pay.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2010, 09:50 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
Would said papers give me the adresses to the kids' houses?
Let's talk in private.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:51 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
as a broke college student, i will have to decline doing anything not involving video games, sports, drinking, smoking, sleeping, or women that isnt for pay.
So you're broke and lonely?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

Quote:
So you're broke and lonely?
try re-reading that lol.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2010, 10:01 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

I never said they were mutually exclusive.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

Quote:
I never said they were mutually exclusive.
wait what? im so confused at what you are trying to say haha. i said that i have to decline doing anything not for pay except the following: video games, sports, drinking, smoking, and women. i understand you were trying to make a burn, but either you failed or im failing right now cuz we are NOT on the same page lol.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
wait what? im so confused at what you are trying to say haha. i said that i have to decline doing anything not for pay except the following: video games, sports, drinking, smoking, and women. i understand you were trying to make a burn, but either you failed or im failing right now cuz we are NOT on the same page lol.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
No it's annoying that people who speak English as their primary language can't even distinguish between a verb and an adjective.

The grammar thing is different to me, as it is an internet forum, I don't expect people to type like they are writing a formal essay. However, there is absolutely no way you can tell me that you know the difference but simply confuse the two and it doesn't matter since it's an internet forum. You don't just use words you know are wrong just because it isn't a formal setting.

Honestly, has it really come to this? People don't think it's a big deal that they can't differentiate between two ******* words? Are you going to start talking like, "I is went to the store tomorrow," now as well? After all, all those words are similar in meaning to the words that should be there, but since they are close enough I guess it makes sense and should be acceptable, because after all, who needs to have any sort of common sense or the tiniest understanding of the language they speak every day.

For those who have English as a second language, I don't mean to direct this at you. But for everyone else, get a ******* clue.
Bear with me here, as this point is a bit hard to understand and goes against just about everyone's natural inclinations, but I think it makes perfect sense.

Grammatical correctness, acceptability, prescriptivism, what have you, is arbitrary. Languages and dialects anywhere and everywhere have grammatical rules and functions that must be kept for it to be called that language. However, there are additional rules made up by English school teachers or grammarians and dictionary makers in the past who generalize the rules of their dialect of English onto the entire language of English and say that the dialects do not conform are incorrect. There is no natural reason for this. They were conjured up in the past for whatever reason.

Things like "ain't" or double negative were given superfluous grammatical reasons for why they were "wrong," like how "ain't" covers more persons that the positive (I ain't and they ain't but I am and they are) or how the double negative logically means that it is a positive statement as if an English sentence were like symbolic logic, but the real reasons were feelings of superiority of their dialect or what they were trying to hope to achieve. The heavy negative stereotyping of ain't is probably due to negative stereotyping of lower class people who speak it by the people who decided that it wasn't "proper English" (I'm not saying that people who say "ain't is wrong" are doing it with these intentions, but that it seems likely the inventors of the arbitrary rule thought this way). The double negative thing was taken from Latin, which grammarians of the past jerked off to in their beds, as it was considered so highly pristine, full of the classics, etc. Double negatives weren't allowed in Latin, allowed in the sense that they did not exist. However, in Middle English, double negatives were optionally used to emphasize that something was negative (in fact, double negatives were the norm in Old English). So when these grammarians started influencing English with their prescriptive rules and dictionaries that admired Latin, they came up with the "two negatives make a positive!!!1!" rhetoric. If that were some logical law for all languages, that would be clearly incorrect, since a ton of languages allow double negatives, like Spanish and Russian.

So why have these arbitrary rules? It seems like a good idea to come up with a standard version of a language for other people to learn that can be maximally used between dialects. That's the intention that underlies why people often support these rules. What I'm criticizing, however, is the use of words like "wrong" and the almost-violent reaction to simply, understandable mistakes that don't really matter. They don't really matter because 1) we know what you mean and 2) you're not offending some holy writ of law on How Ye Must Speak The Mother Tongue. It's just arbitrary. Don't get your panties in a bunch. So as for dominant/dominate, we know that if it wasn't a typo 1) in my dialect, there is a distinction between the verb and adjective form and 2) in whoever's dialect that wrote/said this, there's no distinction and 3) I know what the person who wrote that meant since it is clear by the syntax that "dominate" is being used as an adjective. If it's a typo, I have less sympathy for the "it's wraung!!11" reaction. It's just a typo. Not knowing the distinction between the verb form and adjective form at all times doesn't imply that the person is stupid. It's just a damn word.

by the way, I accidentally typed "simply, understandable mistakes" (as opposed to simple) but left it to illustrate my point.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

haha well you know what cj, ....... yeah i got nothin, ill take my burn and sit down lol

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2010, 10:28 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doing THIS to my finger after our 1st...indoors...walk through...preseason...rugby practice Sunday night.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The rules of language exist to communicate. When people do not use the rules properly it takes longer for the person trying to accept the message to code it correctly. When someone uses a verb instead of an adjective it takes longer to understand it. If instead we insure people use the correct usage of words a longer and more efficient dialogue would be the end result.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post

Doing THIS to my finger after our 1st...indoors...walk through...preseason...rugby practice Sunday night.

Tough break.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Tough break.
If I wasn't left-handed I wouldn't care, but I have 5 classes which are all basically writing constantly. I consider myself the Brett Favre of literature. Good not great, but I'll play through anything

....And I'll **** over my classmates if it means I have a better shot at an A.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
If I wasn't left-handed I wouldn't care, but I have 5 classes which are all basically writing constantly. I consider myself the Brett Favre of literature. Good not great, but I'll play through anything

....And I'll **** over my classmates if it means I have a better shot at an A.
gotta love broken fingers. life of a keeper.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

for ****'s sake spoiler that sort of ****.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When Ohio State fans feel the need to add "The" when saying the name of their school. Congratulations. You're the most famous school in Ohio. That's really quite a ******* feat. You had to beat out stalwarts like Ohio, Bowling Green and Miami of Ohio for that awesome title. We're all super impressed.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So why have these arbitrary rules? It seems like a good idea to come up with a standard version of a language for other people to learn that can be maximally used between dialects. That's the intention that underlies why people often support these rules. What I'm criticizing, however, is the use of words like "wrong" and the almost-violent reaction to simply, understandable mistakes that don't really matter. They don't really matter because 1) we know what you mean and 2) you're not offending some holy writ of law on How Ye Must Speak The Mother Tongue. It's just arbitrary. Don't get your panties in a bunch. So as for dominant/dominate, we know that if it wasn't a typo 1) in my dialect, there is a distinction between the verb and adjective form and 2) in whoever's dialect that wrote/said this, there's no distinction and 3) I know what the person who wrote that meant since it is clear by the syntax that "dominate" is being used as an adjective. If it's a typo, I have less sympathy for the "it's wraung!!11" reaction. It's just a typo. Not knowing the distinction between the verb form and adjective form at all times doesn't imply that the person is stupid. It's just a damn word.
No... Just No. They are different words, I don't care about typos, general spelling errors and that sort of thing, but honestly, dominant/dominate and lose/r/loose/r are the two that really **** me.

Dominant is an adjective that sounds very different to dominate when you say it, how can you think one thing and then type another other than being an idiot? It makes people who do it seem stupid and as a result it takes away from what they are saying. Lose/Loose is even worse, they are entirely different words that mean something different, sound different again and just make people using them wrong seem stupid.

That is what it is about, forums are a method for discussion, you can understand some shortening, some lazy grammar and the like, but the saying holds true, never argue with a fool because from a distance an observer can't tell who is who. If you can't be bothered to at least try and make sense with what you saying you look like an idiot to me. Those two are not hard ones to get right, literally just read the word out loud and you will know whether you have the right word or not. I don't even care about there/their/they're that much, for the most part people are just lazy on this one and they are all pronounced the same.

I'm sorry that I have to completely disagree with you, even your examples are different, double negatives are a way of saying something, using the wrong ******* word is not the same as that, not even comparable. It doesn't matter what language you talk about, if you say the wrong word you look stupid. You don't call a blue car a red car because you feel like it because it is wrong, it's exactly the same as dominant and dominate, they are different things, use them correctly.

In general I agree with you, but I can't extend "breaking" the rules of English to using words that are entirely wrong and mean something different.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:25 PM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

people who give me a negative reputation on a NFL draft website.

Last edited by GoRavens : 02-03-2010 at 02:32 PM.
GoRavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
you know what grinds my gears?
white kid's
The lack of ability to properly pluralize words?
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote