Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-19-2009, 07:14 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
and stop drinking. it stunts your growth broski.
True that, hence my stature :p
Old 08-19-2009, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Week 1 of not drinking has gone well I went out with friends but did no drinking.

Sniper my home gym is pretty good, the apartment's president's wife is near body builder status as a women, so she put all the stuff in their I am sure she has put together a solid but small gym over there.

Thanks a lot Tackle, that post really helped honestly. I guess I have been dying to make big plays, I have been nervous about not starting, I want to be noticed, the linebackers/d-line coach loves me and so does the d-coordinator. I think I over think, if I can just relax, be confident in my play, and most importantly have fun doing it... I think I can be great. Honestly, I think I am very raw I just need so get better mechanics and be more aware of my priorities.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Plyometrics are your best friend if you are trying to increase explosion.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could use help everywhere in general. My pros are pretty much my jump off the ball, nose for the ball, and I can bully most O-linemen. The negatives would be speed, and containment against the run.

Bone Krusher, the best
Old 08-19-2009, 07:27 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If it's just freshman and sophomores on your team, Malaka, then take a leadership role. Find a gym that's close to the school, and orchestrate workout sessions after school/weekends/days when you have no practice. Start off small with you and a few others, and if ya'll like it, start inviting more team mates. They'll have guys there who are trained and know what they're doing, and soon enough, it'll become a ritual for you guys. When you figure out what to do and how to do it, then you guys can hold workouts and lifting sessions at your school's weight room.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Plyometrics are your best friend if you are trying to increase explosion.
Can I get an Amen from the congregation?
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:40 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did them all the time in soccer, they suck ass but you will see results in a very short amount of time.

Quote:
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:43 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Issues

Containment: One thing to remember is that as a OLB, you force plays inside. Outside contain guys usually don't make much plays but they open up opportunities for other guys to make the stop.

vs Blockers: Since you're on JV, you won't see much Zone blocking schemes. More often then not, your gonna be matched up one on one with most blockers. I'll tell you from experience, the people that gave ME the most trouble while I was trying to block are the low guys that took on the block head on. One thing to remember about being head on blocked is having your hands on the blocker for separation and KEEPING YOUR EYES IN THE BACKFIELD. More often than not you'll get a feel for the play just from the type of block you're facing. Shed the block.

Things to work on: Hand quickness, defensive lineman techniques, staying low, and keeping your eyes on the ball carrier.

The Lower man will win 9 times out of 10.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Can I get an Amen from the congregation?
Amen, reverend!

also, malaka, when working on your upper body, use free weights. lower body: all the olympic lifts.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I almost forgot. Get a tire, tie it to a cord, tie said cord to yourself, run sprints. GREAT SUCCESS!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

Quote:
I almost forgot. Get a tire, tie it to a cord, tie said cord to yourself, run sprints. GREAT SUCCESS!

Quote:
Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Power Cleans and Squats.. Take 'em serious!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a 5'5'' 166 pound varsity tackle!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:03 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider View Post
I'm a 5'5'' 166 pound varsity tackle!!!!!!!!!
the Lower man will win! lol

Old 08-19-2009, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Get strong, get fast......in HS strong and fast people can dominate even if they arent tremendous natural athletes. Squats, Deadlifts, Cleans, Sprints, and Plyo work will make you a beast.....especially at the JV level.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:16 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

I played ILB for my JV team, along with Mason Foster(Washington), at 6'1" 255 ahahah. I was just a glorified hole plugger because I couldnt man cover to save my life. But I dominated in JV because I was a more explosive than most of the kids out there.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:19 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tackle pretty much covered it.

Key to containment is engaging the blocker and keeping your outside shoulder and arm free so that you dont allow that blocker to go downfield but also dont get tied up and pushed inside or backwards, if you let a blocker get his hands inside you, you are beaten already.

The other thing that Tackle didnt mention is know your reads and make them quick. Generally at OLB your first read will be the tackle on your side, don't get caught looking in the backfield. If the tackle is firing out at you it is very important to engage and be prepared for a run in your direction, if his first step is back it is far more likely to be a pass play, in which case you can sell out on the blitz a little more.

Finally, when blitzing, always attack the outside shoulder of the QB, if you go hard inside or at the middle you make it far easier for him to step outside you, make him step up in the pocket into the pressure, don't let him step outside, same rules apply when blitzing on a run play, force him inside where the help is and you have done your job, worst thing you can do is over pursue inside and let a RB get outside you and get shots at your secondary.

Hope this helps a bit, pretty much is the core of playing OLB, if you do all these things well, everything else should fall into place.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:29 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Be good at sports
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:33 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OK, I know you want to be a sack artist and everything, but you're playing JV highschool football. That means teams do one thing, and that is run the ball. Its all about how you shed blocks and recognize plays/where the ball is going. Its not like highschool playbooks are real think either, so you will see the same play numerous times in a single game.

You say you want to be the best you can be and everything, and then you say that you ran a 4.9 without any training lately. You need to understand how much work top D1 recruits put in everyday. It is not easy and you have to make a ******** of sacrifices.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:44 PM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I played strongside end in high school and one thing that my HS coach taught me that I felt took me a long way was to learn how to use my hands the right way, especially when shedding blocks.

Also, I think another good drill if your playing either end or linebacker is the cone drill. Increasing your footwork and being light on your feet is a pretty good trait to have.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guidos can't play football Malaka.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Guidos can't play football Malaka.
It's true. This is because guidos are not actually people.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:52 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's true. This is because guidos are not actually people.
they're ******* heathens, I say.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I played LB (both inside and outside) for about 12 years, both rep and high school. And while I always enjoyed MLB more then OLB, most of the stuff thats been said already is the stuff you need to keep in mind. At OLB, my first advice is KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL! Dont get crack blocked, odds are in high school offenses, you may see some crack blocks coming from the WR position that can really blindside you, especially on sweeps. Dont get caught by those.

Another thing that I will advise you to do, that alot of people wont, is that as an OLB, you are faster then the guy trying to block you. Whether its an OT, TE, or FB, you should be faster then all of them. And people cant block what they cant touch. Use that to your advantage. Keep in mind not to overrun your responsibilites, and take a wide enough route so you dont have to worry about them breaking contain, but the odds are you should know whether you need to contain a half second into the play. At that point, just be faster, plain and simple.

As the others said, keep your outside shoulder outside, and never let your body get turned in. They teach you to engage the OT, but you seem like a fairly small kid so id focus on using speed/hands to your advantage rather then trying to bully around a much bigger OT/FB. Oh, watch out for FBs btw. Its my own personal experience that they are usually the meanest and dirtiest blockers on the offense. They arent above taking out your knees, so watch out for that.

Odds are, at 14, you want to be the Demarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman of your team, but the reality of it is OLB is actually a pretty boring position unless you are blitzing every play. I always preferred MLB, alot more freedom and playmaking chances. That said, I had alot of fun playing OLB as well, because you can lay alot of mean tackles on those sweeps, which are alot more common in high school ball then anything you see on TV.

You talk alot about the run, but what about pass coverage? Are you alright in that? It can be a big asset in high school ball, as alot of teams put their best player at RB and love to get those kids the ball in space, ie the flats, where you would be covering as an OLB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:32 AM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

I want to thank everyone for helping me out here, I'll try to use everything I learned at practice today, I realize that I need to stop the run not make the big play. I think I know what I have to do know, my linebacker coach has preached a similar thing about the run, I guess it just went past my head there but now I realize that I am not DeMarcus Ware and my position is pretty lackluster although very important.

Also on a sidenote... how big were you guys in JV lol... I am the 2nd biggest on my team (well tallest) on my team, the other guy is 6'2 215 and he is playing OT and NT, then every one else who weighs more than me is like 5'6-5-10 210-240.

I am great in pass coverage, I know where everyone needs to be and I know all the play calls, and everything, if there is one thing I know I am good at is blitzing and coverage. Sometimes I think I'd be better an ILB, just because I can tackle, just containment is a bit hard to grasp, where at ILB I do have my responsibilities in the gaps, but I really just need to have good instincts on where the ball is going.

Bone Krusher, the best

Last edited by Malaka : 08-20-2009 at 09:36 AM.