Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who do you think is going to win the NFC East?
Dallas Cowboys 11 14.29%
New York Giants 29 37.66%
Philadelphia Eagles 32 41.56%
Washington Redskins 5 6.49%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2009, 07:10 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I can't believe I'm about to do this.

I actually like the Giants receivers. They have a nice collection of players who can do different things.

I REALLY wanted the Eagles to draft Hakeem Nicks in the draft but they drafted Maclin instead. Nicks is a big physical receiver with glue for hands and I really think he will be good.

They have Ramses Barden who is really raw but he has the tools. He should be a great red-zone weapon for the Giants and if reports out of Giants camp are true he could end up being very good.

Steve Smith IMO is a fine #2, he is a steady option with good hands and he runs good routes. So, he isn't explosive but there are plenty of good receivers who aren't explosive like TJ Houshmanzadeh, Hines Ward and Derrick Mason just to name a few. Just because you aren't explosive doesn't mean you can't be good.

Hixon is pretty quick and he has good size. If the Giants gave him a shot at the #1 WR spot I think he could succeed. He did lead the Giants in receiving last year I believe.

Sinorice Moss and Mario Manningham are IMO busts or if they aren't already they will be. However that isn't implying that they can't be good deep threats. Both are fast players who can stretch the field and can be thrown out on the field to complement Nicks, Barden, Smith and Hixon.

Overall I think the receiving core is in many ways similar to what the Eagles had last year when the Eagles set franchise records in scoring, I think that this will be a good receiver by committee type of deal where things are split up and each receiver has a designated role. I actually can't believe that they don't get more hype on this board.

Maybe you aren't getting my point.

First of all, what actually happens is not necessarily relevent to what I'm saying. Ramses Barden could be the new Marques Colston, Steve Smith could become Steve Smith and Hixon could turn into Torry Holt, and what I'm trying to say would still be perfectly true.

My point is that the Giants have the receiving corps with the least amount of proven success in the league. Period. They don't have a single player who has done it before, and we saw the majority of these players struggle last year in the same situation.

All they've added to that are two (albeit promsing, but still) rookies at a position that is notorious for being one of the slowest developing positions in the NFL.

We're talking about prospects here, much like the NFL draft is about prospects. Chances of success. Given the information we have, they have the worst prospects for success in the league...or at least right there at the bottom. Is Tom Brady a great NFL QB? Yes. Does that mean he was a great prospect? Hell no.

I am in no way saying the Giants are screwed for sure. What I'm saying is that there is plenty of evidence to suggest that they could be. Whatever your personal feelings on Nicks and Barden are, that is neither here nor there.

And comparing this group to last year's Eagles group is faulty in two ways: 1) the Eagles had a returning 1000 yard receiver as well as the best recieving back in the game and a QB who had proven time and time again that, somehow, he was able to make do with crappy targets if it came to that and 2) no one could have known that Desean Jackson was going to have the season he had. I don't care how much you thought of him as a prospect or how great he looked in camp, if you make a habit of relying on rookie 2nd round picks to anchor your pass offense you are not going to have a job for long.

And not just that, but the Eagles weren't that great a passing team, either. They may have gone for 4000 yards, but they threw the ball 600 times. Their YPA was among the worst in the league.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
And not just that, but the Eagles weren't that great a passing team, either. They may have gone for 4000 yards, but they threw the ball 600 times. Their YPA was among the worst in the league.

Have you ever heard of a WCO? Apparently not. Because if you did you wouldn't knock the Eagles for having a low YPA. The West Coast offense is essentially the running game through the passing game. It is predicated on receivers catching the ball and running after the catch. Slants, quick outs, and curls are all mainstays of the West Coast Offense. Thus, the YPC is lower than teams that run a more vertical passing scheme like the Chargers and Cardinals. If you knew this you wouldn't knock them. Because the short, quick pass is the staple of the offense, which obviously will lower your YPA.

And the Eagles passing game wasn't that great? Sorry but last time I checked the sixth rated passing game in the NFL is pretty damn good. Also the Eagles had 10 players top 200 yards receiving.

And apparently you missed my point. The Giants have a group of receivers who each do something different. JUST like the Eagles, the Giants will be going with a receiving by committee, JUST LIKE THE EAGLES DID last season when 10 players had over 200 yards.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:48 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Better start worrying about the Cowboys...
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:25 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Have you ever heard of a WCO? Apparently not. Because if you did you wouldn't knock the Eagles for having a low YPA. The West Coast offense is essentially the running game through the passing game. It is predicated on receivers catching the ball and running after the catch. Slants, quick outs, and curls are all mainstays of the West Coast Offense. Thus, the YPC is lower than teams that run a more vertical passing scheme like the Chargers and Cardinals. If you knew this you wouldn't knock them. Because the short, quick pass is the staple of the offense, which obviously will lower your YPA.

And the Eagles passing game wasn't that great? Sorry but last time I checked the sixth rated passing game in the NFL is pretty damn good. Also the Eagles had 10 players top 200 yards receiving.

And apparently you missed my point. The Giants have a group of receivers who each do something different. JUST like the Eagles, the Giants will be going with a receiving by committee, JUST LIKE THE EAGLES DID last season when 10 players had over 200 yards.

Ugh....I don't know why I'm responding to this drivel, but I guess I can't help it.

The West Coast offense you so smugly refer to has produced some of the highest YPA seasons in NFL history. Steve Young, probably the the prototypical WCO QB produced seasons of 9.0, 8.7, 8.6, 8.5, 8.0 during his prime in the 90s, numbers that regularly led the league. Montana did the same thing as well. Elway, in a career of lackluster YPAs, posted a career high 7.88 in his last NFL season, the third under Mike Shanahan who brought the WCO with him to Denver.

Better yet, lets compare apples to apples. The Eagles themselves have run the same scheme for McNabb's entire career. When was McNabb at his best? Obviously, the year with TO in 04 was his best year. Additionally, they were also the most dangerous early in 06 before McNabb blew out his ACL and Garcia was able to save the season. Their YPAs in those seasons? 7.7 and 7.9 respectively, with McNabb posting career highs of 8.38 and 8.26 during those seasons (vs. 6.8 last year).

You fail.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:40 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Ugh....I don't know why I'm responding to this drivel, but I guess I can't help it.

The West Coast offense you so smugly refer to has produced some of the highest YPA seasons in NFL history. Steve Young, probably the the prototypical WCO QB produced seasons of 9.0, 8.7, 8.6, 8.5, 8.0 during his prime in the 90s, numbers that regularly led the league. Montana did the same thing as well. Elway, in a career of lackluster YPAs, posted a career high 7.88 in his last NFL season, the third under Mike Shanahan who brought the WCO with him to Denver.

Better yet, lets compare apples to apples. The Eagles themselves have run the same scheme for McNabb's entire career. When was McNabb at his best? Obviously, the year with TO in 04 was his best year. Additionally, they were also the most dangerous early in 06 before McNabb blew out his ACL and Garcia was able to save the season. Their YPAs in those seasons? 7.7 and 7.9 respectively, with McNabb posting career highs of 8.38 and 8.26 during those seasons (vs. 6.8 last year).

You fail.

LOL.. Good post!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:52 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Better start worrying about the Cowboys...
wait, after a preseason game? really? it's the preseason.

although, if Garret uses Barber and the 2 TE sets like he did, the Cowboys O has a bit a power. Could give LB's and safeties fits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:54 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
wait, after a preseason game? really? it's the preseason.

although, if Garret uses Barber and the 2 TE sets like he did, the Cowboys O has a bit a power. Could give LB's and safeties fits.
The have a sick play called steamer, where they clear out, and isolate the RB, who will be Jones, on the mike, and have him run a option route. It's a sick play and expect to see that this year.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Martellus Bennett is going to cause problems for anyone.

I love the thought that the cowboys are a distant 3rd and the eagles and giants are so much better. Maybe it's what this team needs. Finally underdogs.

We will see. But i think you will be surprised... homerism aside.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the Skins I am expecting a top 5 defense and 32nd ranked offense. That should configure to around 7-9 or 8-8.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:17 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Giants. But I think the Redskins will finish second.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:24 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Martellus Bennett is going to cause problems for anyone.

I love the thought that the cowboys are a distant 3rd and the eagles and giants are so much better. Maybe it's what this team needs. Finally underdogs.

We will see. But i think you will be surprised... homerism aside.
yea but like, you have Bennett last year. This year you just lost TO, which yea yea, he's a diva and a cancer, but you can't argue his talent. you lose that, and it's not like the cowboys dominated last year...or even made the playoffs.

losing TO could be a blessing in disguise but yea, i'm not seeing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Giants will win the division, but the Eagles will beat them in the playoffs :D
Old 08-27-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

redskins will make the playoffs.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:29 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Giants. But I think the Redskins will finish second.
Interesting, sir. Any reason to this crazy talk or just a hunch?

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote