Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:25 PM    (permalink
S T R I N G
Rookie

S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Yeah this is what PFT said:

Six weeks later though and Papa is saying this to the media:

Confirms the aforementioned 3 months right there.

Fabricate this.
So PFT and Bob Papa are now reliable sources? They just heard rumours and repeated them.

No, I think I'll stick with my original thought that the plea-bargain has always been 2 years.

Quote:
The guilty plea ends months of haggling between Burress' attorney and the Manhattan district attorney's office. The case went to a grand jury earlier this month after negotiations broke down, apparently because District Attorney Robert Morgenthau was insistent on Burress serving at least two years in prison.

Assistant District Attorney Mark Dwyer said it is standard policy to request a two-year sentence as part of a plea bargain on such serious charges. Sentencing was set for Sept. 22.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4411373

Last edited by S T R I N G : 08-20-2009 at 12:29 PM.
S T R I N G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:26 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah this is what PFT said:

Six weeks later though and Papa is saying this to the media:

Confirms the aforementioned 3 months right there.

Fabricate this.
That;s it! GOOD FIND! Plus rep for you for saving me the loooong process of digging it up.

Former New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress turned down plea bargain to three-month sentence for gun possession, says report

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...burress_2.html

Last edited by NY+Giants=NYG : 08-20-2009 at 12:34 PM.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No prob, bud.

Plaxico, like Vick, made it worse for himself by getting deeper into the legal situation. Although I doubt Vick's lawyer(s) were able to get as good a plea deal as Burress' did, which Plaxico turned down.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No prob, bud.

Plaxico, like Vick, made it worse for himself by getting deeper into the legal situation. Although I doubt Vick's lawyer(s) were able to get as good a plea deal as Burress' did, which Plaxico turned down.
I found the original blog update or report by Mike Garafolo who is one of our many beat writers.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM    (permalink
S T R I N G
Rookie

S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.

Quote:
No prob, bud.

So you believe PFT and some rumour Bob heard over the DA's own words?

Quote:
Negotiations in the gun-possession case against ex-Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress -- who accidentally shot himself in the leg at a Midtown nightclub last November -- fell apart earlier this year after prosecutors insisted he do two years' state time on a plea to a lesser gun charge, the DA told The Post.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07272009...lax_181537.htm
Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 PM    (permalink
S T R I N G
Rookie

Or how about Plaxico's lawyer?

Quote:
Ben Brafman, attorney for Plaxico Burress, is quoted in the Star-Ledger piece as saying "I told (Morgenthau) if they offered one year, I would discuss with Plax. They never offered it and Plax never authorized it."
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...r_offered.html
Old 08-20-2009, 12:45 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Either way if the report is true or false, he is screwed one way or another. That's pretty much the bottom line. Plus when he gets out, he may get suspended, if Roger G. goes that route.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:45 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why do they even make a minimum jail sentence if it can just be negotiated down? Stupid. I don't care what plea bargin was or wasn't on the table, if Bloomberg wanted to make an example out of him then make him serve the minimum atleast.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:47 PM    (permalink
S T R I N G
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Why do they even make a minimum jail sentence if it can just be negotiated down? Stupid. I don't care what plea bargin was or wasn't on the table, if Bloomberg wanted to make an example out of him then make him serve the minimum atleast.
He plead to a different charge than what he was originally charged with. That's why he could serve less time. He can actually get out in about 20 months I believe.

It is extremely costly and time consuming to go through the whole court process which is why most cases are plea bargained. There isn't enough time/money to prosecute every criminal plus there is no guarantee of a conviction.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S T R I N G View Post
He plead to a different charge than what he was originally charged with. That's why he could serve less time. He can actually get out in about 20 months I believe.

It is extremely costly and time consuming to go through the whole court process which is why most cases are plea bargained. There isn't enough time/money to prosecute every criminal plus there is no guarantee of a conviction.
I get that part but Bloomberg made such a strong statement towards this type of crime when Burress was arrested. You would think with someone who talked so much about making a statement out of this case would actually follow through with the whole process. Burress wasn't made into the slightest example here. Just my take, though.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:52 PM    (permalink
S T R I N G
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I get that part but Bloomberg made such a strong statement towards this type of crime when Burress was arrested. You would think with someone who talked so much about making a statement out of this case would actually follow through with the whole process. Burress wasn't made into the slightest example here. Just my take, though.
Well Bloomberg is the mayor, not the DA. He technically cannot tell the DAs what to do as far as I know. He was likely just saying what he did to score political points.

It sounds like the DAs did what was standard in cases like this. I see what you're saying, but it wouldn't be fair to make an example out of Burress just because he is a public figure.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
Either way if the report is true or false, he is screwed one way or another. That's pretty much the bottom line. Plus when he gets out, he may get suspended, if Roger G. goes that route.
Definitely agreed. Even if he's not suspended, 34 years old when he's out and two years in prison away from the game - this in all likelihood seals his pro career.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bloomberg would have responded just as forcefully if he was asked about anyone committing that type of offense. He just happens to only get asked when its a very well-known person.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:51 PM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn 2 years for it, I like that his lawyer keeps saying that it was a legal firearm he had, yet he will go to jail for 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:00 PM    (permalink
the decider13
Pro Bowler

the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the decider13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNYtitan View Post
Damn 2 years for it, I like that his lawyer keeps saying that it was a legal firearm he had, yet he will go to jail for 2 years
His permit was expired and NY has a law against any concealed firearm even if it is licensed.

Sig by the sigmaster BoneKrusher. Each one is a masterpiece
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN72 View Post
i wish NFLDC had something like "wall to wall" where we could see Brodeur and Job's conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
NFLDC would be jizzing itself non-stop.
the decider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kinda odd that Stallworth kills a guy and gets a few months while Plax shoots his own leg and gets 2 years.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:43 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
Kinda odd that Stallworth kills a guy and gets a few months while Plax shoots his own leg and gets 2 years.
Can't compare the two things.. Different laws and different state.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
S T R I N G
Rookie

Quote:
The justice system isn't about justice. ;)
Old 08-20-2009, 02:52 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Definitely my first thought. It's only odd if anything makes sense to begin with.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vick kills dogs, received 19 months

Burress shoots him self in leg, receives 24 months

Leonard Little kills someone while driving drunk, receives 90 days

Stallworth also kills someone while driving drunk, receives 30 days

ah, the beauty of the justice system.

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:13 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Vick kills dogs, received 19 months

Burress shoots him self in leg, receives 24 months

Leonard Little kills someone while driving drunk, receives 90 days

Stallworth also kills someone while driving drunk, receives 30 days

ah, the beauty of the justice system.
Just depends where you do it.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Burress shoots him self in leg, receives 24 months.
There's more to it than that. He took a loaded weapon, not registered in New York, into a public setting. A club, full of innocent bystanders. Not only that, but then he fired that gun.

Thankfully the only one hurt is the one who deserved it.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:18 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't really follow the Vick situation as much as others but didn't his jail time stem more from tax evasion and gambling more so than the dog fighting itself?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:20 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Quote:
There's more to it than that. He took a loaded weapon, not registered in New York, into a public setting. A club, full of innocent bystanders. Not only that, but then he fired that gun.

Thankfully the only one hurt is the one who deserved it.
Very much so. I love him as a player but really the only person he can blame here is himself.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:04 AM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the decider13 View Post
His permit was expired and NY has a law against any concealed firearm even if it is licensed.
I know, which is why I was amused and outraged that his lawyer kept calling it a legal firearm, cause if it was, he would have a defense in his case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote