Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-31-2009, 10:03 AM    (permalink
benchod
Rookie

benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.

Wasn't Corp's injury a cracked fibula? If he's back from that after two weeks, there are definitely still going to be concerns.

And the turnover thing for USC hasn't been as critical the past few years because that defense doesn't generate the takeaways it once did. Now they just try to not give up the ball and see what happens.

Personally, I think Carroll is just realizing that he made a mistake of letting Booty start over Sanchez and is disappointed that he only got one year of Sanchez. He doesn't want to make the same mistake with Barkley when he knows Barkley will be better than Corp/Mustain (whether he's better now is the debate)
benchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbears13 View Post
I know he had a down senior year, but a lot of it had to do with most of his supporting players graduating.
Regardless, he threw A LOT of INTs.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:45 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Pete had to find a way to get Barkley on the field and Corp's injury probably accelerated it a bit. Ideally you probably bring him in before October like Georgia did with Stafford and then forget about it. Corp and Mustain cant hold this kid's kock in the big picture so it was a matter of time.

Recruiting a highly ranked player means pretty much you're going to play him right away or you could lose him or the next phenom to come along.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I think Pete had to find a way to get Barkley on the field and Corp's injury probably accelerated it a bit. Ideally you probably bring him in before October like Georgia did with Stafford and then forget about it. Corp and Mustain cant hold this kid's kock in the big picture so it was a matter of time.

Recruiting a highly ranked player means pretty much you're going to play him right away or you could lose him or the next phenom to come along.
Corp and Mustain are no slouchin' nobodies.. Both of them were highly touted recruits and, in least Corp's case, comes from a very storied program here in Cali. Corp may not have the god-like arm like Barkley, but Barkley doesn't have the mobility of Corp by any stretch of the mind.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Corp and Mustain are no slouchin' nobodies.. Both of them were highly touted recruits and, in least Corp's case, comes from a very storied program here in Cali. Corp may not have the god-like arm like Barkley, but Barkley doesn't have the mobility of Corp by any stretch of the mind.
I agree they arent slouches and could have pro careers so the cant hold the jock comment is probably excessive but they arent Matt Barkley who is a once a decade QB out of California.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:24 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree they arent slouches and could have pro careers so the cant hold the jock comment is probably excessive but they arent Matt Barkley who is a once a decade QB out of California.
I like to wait for QBs to perform in college before I start my analyzing of them. Especially in Cali, where we produced such QBs as:

Jimmy Clausen, Ben Olson, Kyle Wright, Nate Longshore, Tommy Grady, CJ Bacher, and so on. You can see where I'm going with this lol Of course, we do have good ones at times.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel some of you are setting yourselves up to be disappointed by Barkley, IMO.
When was the last time a TRUE freshman QB started in the Pac 10 and had a successful rookie campaign? By that I mean, 2:1 TDs to Int ratio, 2500+ yards passing??
Full disclosure, I've never seen the kid play, but I do recall that Carson Palmer was considered a near-bust until he had the benefit of being coached by Norm Chow for a season.

There are so many highly regarded prep QBs who enter the college ranks every year and don't live up to their press clippings.

I realize that college recruiting is much more 'scientific' than years past, and when a top prospect is evaluated, it's based on more than just game film.

Granted, the fact that Barkley comes from a HS program known nationally for producing top D1 QB talent, and that he's considered by his HS coach to be more advanced than his predecessors is a bonus, but really, what does that mean until he plays his first real game in college?

In recent memory, how many super prep QBs live up to their pre-college hype as freshman, let alone for their entire college careers??
Sanchez came close once he became a starter, Matt Stafford somewhat. IMO Jimmy Clausen hasn't, (although his soph year was very solid), who on paper appears to be every bit the blue prospect Barkley was coming out of HS.
Mitch Mustain was the #1 QB in his class, if not overall recruit, and he can't sniff the field.
Even Peyton Manning entered his freshman year at UT on 3rd string, but moved up do to injuries. His stats that year? 1141yds, 11/6.
If Barkley starts 12 games, I think it's reasonable to assume he should approach 2700 yards passing, that is, if he doesn't get pulled for throwing an inordinate amount of INTs.

As a casual Pac 10 fan, it's hard to imagine any USC recruit approaching what Matt Leinart did in three years at USC - averaged 3500 yds, 33 TDs, and threw 9, 6, and 8 INTS in three years as a starter.

Good luck, Mr. Barkley.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:59 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
I feel some of you are setting yourselves up to be disappointed by Barkley, IMO.
When was the last time a TRUE freshman QB started in the Pac 10 and had a successful rookie campaign? By that I mean, 2:1 TDs to Int ratio, 2500+ yards passing??
Full disclosure, I've never seen the kid play, but I do recall that Carson Palmer was considered a near-bust until he had the benefit of being coached by Norm Chow for a season.

There are so many highly regarded prep QBs who enter the college ranks every year and don't live up to their press clippings.

I realize that college recruiting is much more 'scientific' than years past, and when a top prospect is evaluated, it's based on more than just game film.

Granted, the fact that Barkley comes from a HS program known nationally for producing top D1 QB talent, and that he's considered by his HS coach to be more advanced than his predecessors is a bonus, but really, what does that mean until he plays his first real game in college?

In recent memory, how many super prep QBs live up to their pre-college hype as freshman, let alone for their entire college careers??
Sanchez came close once he became a starter, Matt Stafford somewhat. IMO Jimmy Clausen hasn't, (although his soph year was very solid), who on paper appears to be every bit the blue prospect Barkley was coming out of HS.
Mitch Mustain was the #1 QB in his class, if not overall recruit, and he can't sniff the field.
Even Peyton Manning entered his freshman year at UT on 3rd string, but moved up do to injuries. His stats that year? 1141yds, 11/6.
If Barkley starts 12 games, I think it's reasonable to assume he should approach 2700 yards passing, that is, if he doesn't get pulled for throwing an inordinate amount of INTs.

As a casual Pac 10 fan, it's hard to imagine any USC recruit approaching what Matt Leinart did in three years at USC - averaged 3500 yds, 33 TDs, and threw 9, 6, and 8 INTS in three years as a starter.

Good luck, Mr. Barkley.
I think Harvin, Andre Smith, Kindle, Stafford & Gerald McCoy beg to differ my friend.

Duke Blue Devils
2010 National Champions!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You're right, to a point, JRTPlaya.

Rivals had Mustain ranked the #2 pro-style QB in 2006 behind Stafford, and their #10 prospect overall.
But Scout.com had Mustain ranked their #1 QB prospect and their #1 overall in '06.

USA Today named him their offensive player of the year, and he was the 2005-06 National Gatorade Player of the Year.

The point remains that things don't always break your way in college simply because you're the next once-in-a-(fill in the blank) can't miss, blue chip recruit.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:38 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're right, to a point, JRTPlaya.

Rivals had Mustain ranked the #2 pro-style QB in 2006 behind Stafford, and their #10 prospect overall.
But Scout.com had Mustain ranked their #1 QB prospect and their #1 overall in '06.

USA Today named him their offensive player of the year, and he was the 2005-06 National Gatorade Player of the Year.

The point remains that things don't always break your way in college simply because you're the next once-in-a-(fill in the blank) can't miss, blue chip recruit.
He was playing really well for a freshman down at Arkansas until Houston Nutt decided to bench him for Casey Dick(wtf?) for some reason. Real big head scratching decision as it cost them a chance at something bigger.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 PM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Regardless, he threw A LOT of INTs.
98% of the receptions from his receiving core were gone. His top 6 receivers were gone. You can't expect him to put up numbers close to like he did the year before.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:06 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah Jeff I have no idea why he decided with that move. That offense was nasty. Didn't Mustain have only 1 loss as a starter that year?

Duke Blue Devils

Old 08-31-2009, 09:11 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

And by looking at scout yeah he was the #1 QB, but don't they always go in their rankings qb, rb, wr, te etc?

Duke Blue Devils

Old 08-31-2009, 11:16 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like to wait for QBs to perform in college before I start my analyzing of them. Especially in Cali, where we produced such QBs as:

Jimmy Clausen, Ben Olson, Kyle Wright, Nate Longshore, Tommy Grady, CJ Bacher, and so on. You can see where I'm going with this lol Of course, we do have good ones at times.
you can add tom brady to that list.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:18 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
you can add tom brady to that list.
I was listing the highly ranked failures

Old 09-01-2009, 05:10 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
And by looking at scout yeah he was the #1 QB, but don't they always go in their rankings qb, rb, wr, te etc?
I just looked at scout.com again, JTPlaya21.

They do have a strange way of listing their rankings for all recruits. There's no way to tell if scout.com selects a #1 overall recruit, or if it's merely a general ranking of the top prospects at their position.
They list all the #1's first, then all the #2's, etc., but they don't slot individual recruits on their big list by overall value.

It's probably better that way, it's really difficult to decide one player is the nation's #1 overall recruit.

It's funny to look back at some of the stats these guys put up in HS. Tebow, Scout's #3 QB, passed for 4286 yds and 46 TDs as a junior!! Pete Carroll offered him a scholarship, now folks are saying he can't throw.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 09-02-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:03 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I just looked at scout.com again, JTPlaya21.

They do have a strange way of listing their rankings for all recruits. There's no way to tell if scout.com selects a #1 overall recruit, or if it's merely a general ranking of the top prospects at their position.
They list all the #1's first, then all the #2's, etc., but they don't slot individual recruits on their big list by overall value.

It's probably better that way, it's really difficult to decide one player is the nation's #1 overall recruit.

It's funny to look back some of the stats these guys put up in HS. Tebow, Scout's #3 QB, passed for 4286 yds and 46 TDs as a junior!! Pete Carroll offered him a scholarship, now folks are saying he can't throw.
No your were right, Mustain was the #1 prospect on scout. I look to Rivals for more accurate rankings FWIW. The rankings between the two are almost a worlds difference every year. Esp. with QBs

Old 09-01-2009, 10:05 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was listing the highly ranked failures
haha i know.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
haha i know.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:06 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Matt Barkley is not a once a decade QB. Rivals had him as the #5 player in the class and Russell Shepard was not too far behind. In fact, Shepard may have surpassed Barkley had Barkley not wowed scouts at the UA game.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Matt Barkley is not a once a decade QB. Rivals had him as the #5 player in the class and Russell Shepard was not too far behind. In fact, Shepard may have surpassed Barkley had Barkley not wowed scouts at the UA game.
Trying to think pro potential here, i think i'd put him up there with Matthew Stafford as far as projecting to a #1 pick. If you're talking strictly college i'll give you that.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:17 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Trying to think pro potential here, i think i'd put him up there with Matthew Stafford as far as projecting to a #1 pick. If you're talking strictly college i'll give you that.
Yeah I was thinking along the lines of HS rankings. i.e. Terrelle Pryor and Vince Young are much better prospects.

But his pro prospects are looking good right now, won't disagree there.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also the talent level between Clausen's HS League and Barkley's HS League is incomparable. Clausen played, for the most part, nobodies. While Barkley plays teams like Carson (Morell Pressely), OLu (Aaron Corp), Servite (Chris Gallippo and DJ Shoemate), Centennial (Vontaze Burfict), and Edison is always good.
This post is so full of win.

The competition that Clausen played in HS was an absolute joke. I still don't know how that kid got so hyped up.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:18 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
This post is so full of win.

The competition that Clausen played in HS was an absolute joke. I still don't know how that kid got so hyped up.
When I was coming into my senior season I went to the All Poly FB camp held in Bountiful, UT. Anyway Alani Fua (A Soph at the time, now committed to BYU) showed up talking a bunch of crap how they're good and Jimmy Clausen is gonna smoke every team in California. I knew before hand who Oaks Christian was and I also knew that they play lower level ball in LA. I was kind of the reference guy when I showed up and from then on, no one really like Alani.

And the 07 state game isn't evident of their talent because they played another team that had a sunday stroll to the state game too (Cardinal Newman)

Last edited by YAYareaRB : 09-01-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 View Post
Yeah Jeff I have no idea why he decided with that move. That offense was nasty. Didn't Mustain have only 1 loss as a starter that year?
He was actually 8-0.