Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh man, please tell me our O can continue to play this well the whole season.

They can just march down the field in a minute right now.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:39 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

GG guys... I need hugs... :(

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default It is just the kind of D the Titans play

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad72 View Post
The style of D the Titans play in the secondary when they have a good pass rush gives ample opportunity for TEs and slot wideouts to flourish and do a good job of limiting big plays to the outside wideouts. So, I expect Clark and Collie to have a good day. But if you cannot get to Manning, game over, no matter how good your secondary is.
Not just saying I called it, it is just the zone coverage that the Titans play that makes it harder for catches for the outside wideouts. Collie has an amazing awareness of the amount of spacing he needs to have to sit inside or outside those zones in zone coverage that he is soon becoming our version of Wes Welker / older version of Brandon Stokely. Cerebrally, he is ahead of where Garcon was last year as a rookie, IMO because the slot is a much tougher position to play in the NFL than the outside.
chad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:20 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

- I was really impressed with Lacey in this game (except for the dropped INT).
- Tony Ugoh sucked and I believe he was replaced with Federkeil. I hate to say it, but he really looks like a bust.
- This Austin Collie kid, he ain't bad.
- Peyton's taking names. I hope he continues to play this way.
- D was flying around.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Thoughts on the game

- Great win by the Colts last night. Great team effort, especially in light of the players who couldn't play. Three night road games in four weeks btw, can you believe that? Three primetime games on the road in four weeks. And the Colts have done a stellar job, coming out of all of it and being 5-0 thus far in the season.

- Super job by the defense, what else can you say. They were all over the Titans. Linebackers did a good job tackling and holding their ground against the run. They really did well with their assignments, so well at times that they drew at least two holding calls because a LB was about to stuff their RB in the backfield.

- Rookie corners Jerraud Powers and Jacob Lacey, way to go. They played great, undrafted Lacey is such a find. He made the team thanks to the increased emphasis on coverage, and last night he put forward another example why.

- Although Cato aka Antonio Bethea can't form tackle to save his life, the forced fumble he made with the crown of his helmet against offensive lineman Alge Crumpler was huge. Maybe the play that change the game. Great recovery by Keyunta Dawson too, let's give him some credit.

- The Titans have a very good offensive line and it's tough to get at Collins, which shows how well of a performance the defensive line had. They suffocated the running game and then got in Collins' head.

- Freeney, what a beast. 6 straight games with a sack and that's not counting the 2 sacks against San Diego in the playoffs. 13.5 sacks in the last 12 games. And of course and as usual, it's not just the sack numbers for Freeney, he's a complete terror for offenses whenever he's on the field. And all of this is with offenses completely gameplanning against him, they know he's coming. Bill Cowher said on the CBS pregame morning show that no other DE makes you gameplan against him like Freeney, the guys in the game know the actual truth.

- As a guy with strong fantasy football interest, all I saw last week was how everyone projected Chris Johnson to have a monster day. My ESPN PPR league had him projected for 29.7 points! Stupid **** pissed me off so much last week, it really did, especially as I felt strongly the Colts would keep him in check. Let those idiots swallow 9 carries for 34 yards (3.8 avg), long of 8, and 2 catches for 9 yards.

- Larry Coyer is doing a great job leading this defense. Not only making this a complete defense, but also a creative and complex defense that is ten times better than the vanilla garbage from before. He dialed up some great pressure calls on third downs, even though not all of them worked because the veteran Collins got the ball away. But if not for the two turnovers, the Titans might have scored even less. Great job all around.

- Great special teams coverage too, led by Coach Ray. I can't remember the Colts' coverage teams ever being this good. If only the Colts had Coyer and Rychleski before this season.

- Not the fault of Rychleski is the bonehead Tim Jennings causing the punt return fumble (it hit his shoulder, TJ never had the chance to catch the ball). At least Jennings made the interception to start the second half (very lucky to do it though) and also a great kickoff coverage tackle as the gunner later in the game. But he should be relegated to the 5th cornerback for the rest of the season, he's awful.

- The other Colts turnover was thanks to other inept player, Tony Ugoh as the starting left tackle. He was just about a mess to start the game, culminating to the interception that was completely his fault because he can't give Peyton Manning three freaking seconds to throw the ball. But after that he seemed to play better, although maybe the bigger factors in that improvement were the Colts having Addai to chip his DE and also having Dallas Clark to help him. Ugoh did run-block well at times, including the Addai rushing TD, but that's not new for him. The problem is mental errors in pass protection.

- The offensive line overall had their struggles, especially in pass pro early on and in run-blocking for most of the game. But they did well in some other parts, including in the run, after they got used to the Titans.

- One thing though, the Pollak/DeVan rotating experiment might need to come to and end. I don't know how he's playing overall, but I think this is the third game this season I've seen the offensive line blow protection on a play with DeVan in there and involving him. Of course the Pollak penalties are frustrating, especially the idiotic block in the back penalty which was so stupid.

- Tough running by Addai and Brown last night, too. Joseph Addai caught every single ball his way (10 receptions on 10 targets) and got every yard from those catches, he was huge in moving the chains. I really think he might be the best pass protecting RB in the league. I hope all those idiots - especially in fantasy football - in the offseason who completely wrote him off the face of the Earth are enjoying the **** they have to eat now. Addai has never looked better.

- The receivers did a great job, running routes and blocking. They are a physical complete bunch who sacrifice for the team. Including Dallas Clark who put in another fantastic performance, wonderful catches with his hands and the blocking effort. Look at the effort of Austin Collie. Look at Pierre Garcon, who only caught 1 ball for 9 yard in the entire game, but never gave up as a blocker and as a route runner, not giving up to point out potential coverage quirks for Peyton. They all communicate with Peyton. The only bad thing was the TD Reggie Wayne let slip through his fingers.

- And of course, Peyton was phenomenal. Amazingly accurate, and he's hitting receivers in stride this season better than maybe ever. How about that first TD? They moved him out of the pocket and he delivered it to Reggie perfect. Some of the other throws he was making in the face of the pressure were just awesome. Cherish every play you see him make, this is a golden era.

- Especially with new head coach Jim Caldwell who strives for excellence, as opposed to just not making mistakes.

- That big changing of the guard in the AFC South, which was what all anyone could talk about last year and this summer, was really something.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Garcon had one hell of a block and totally leveled a Titans DB. I dont' know if that is when Harper broke his forearm but it wouldn't surprise me.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default When Gonzalez comes back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Garcon had one hell of a block and totally leveled a Titans DB. I dont' know if that is when Harper broke his forearm but it wouldn't surprise me.
...I know this for sure, our level of WR blocking will go down. Collie and Garcon have that tenacity about them that it is unseen in Colts history. Garcon is our Hines Ward type of WR with more speed.

Collie is getting closer to a Peyton-like-grasp with the playbook, and is much more ahead of Garcon than Garcon was in his rookie year, IMO. But the fact that went against Garcon is he never got to spend TC with Peyton last year. So, that could be the difference and explain why both of them are taking off at the same time though Collie was drafted a year later.

Now, when Gonzo comes back, every drop or missed WR run block will be magnified unfortunately. Gonzo's biggest advantage will be his mental aspect of the game where he will probably be ahead of Garcon like being at a specific spot even when the route is not for you etc.

I don't think it will be one player alone that will be targetted to be replaced by Gonzo. If it is a 2 WR, 2 TE formation, chances are it will be Wayne and Gonzo.

If it is a 3 WR, 1 TE formation, chances are it will look like this:

The line ups from left to right will be based on situation and match ups:

Wayne, Clark, Collie, Gonzo or Wayne, Clark, Gonzo, Garcon
Old 10-13-2009, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't wait for Gonzalez to come back. Most important is that he first returns to fully health. The Colts can hold the fort for now, but they are definitely going to need him from November on.

Even more excited that Kelvin Hayden and Bob Sanders will be very likely be back on the field starting with the Rams game, two weeks from now.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:44 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hell once Gonzo is back we should just empty the backfield once in a while and get Clark, Wayne, Gonzo, Garcon and Collie all out there...

Excuse me I need to change :) lol

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:47 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Default 5 wideout formations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post
Hell once Gonzo is back we should just empty the backfield once in a while and get Clark, Wayne, Gonzo, Garcon and Collie all out there...

5 wideout formations without an RB in the backfield is inviting disaster, IMO, especially against blitzing teams in the playoffs. Our RB should always be there during 4 or 5 wideout formations. Especially when Peyton needs an honest play action to be taken seriously, we need the RB no matter what.

Besides, spacing gets more difficult with 5 wideouts. If it is 4 wideouts, a running play run out of it can go to either side with the 2 wideouts blocking on both sides and the RB has enough lanes on either side to make his cut with lesser crowding if the WR blocking holds up. It makes it harder for Ds to guess too.

Yes, it can be done but based on history, I would be surprised if we use it for more than 2 or 3 plays a game ever. Ultimately, Tom Moore and Peyton will decide who to use based on the matchups they feel they can exploit.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:58 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was just messing, I would keep the WRs in, but it just would be fun to see all that receiving talent on the field once in a while, maybe a 3rd and 20 or something, basically just say to the other team, cover this!

Old 10-13-2009, 02:07 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post

The problem is that that would take Addai and Brown, who are also playmakers, out of the game completely. While we don't have one single player at WR or RB that is the equal of Marvin or Edge in their primes, the collection of talent we have in total is better than anything I can remember the Colts having. Especially when you add Clark into the mix.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-13-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

I meant to say in general I would keep the RB's in, and I know it is unrealistic, I just think it would be fun to just have 5 receivers running routes with Peyton playing to them, a Madden wet dream lol

Old 10-13-2009, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I too have been thinking how cool a 5 receiver (Wayne-Clark-Gonzalez-Collie-Garcon) look would be, that's like the NFL version of Voltron.

Which is to say, the greatest thing ever.

But I would rather go 4 receiver plus Addai, so that Addai can pass protect to help make sure Peyton can hit one of the 4 receivers.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Addai really is a pretty incredible pass blocker.

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-13-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Addai is also leading all RBs in the NFL in receptions, with 26.

Tied for 11th overall in receptions in the league for all positions.

Obviously I am loving this, you guys know I am a big fan of passing the ball to the RB. It helps move the chains, makes downs more manageable which allows the Colts to either run or pass.

Last edited by Geo : 10-13-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

This week's Polian Corner includes an honest analysis of Tony Ugoh by Polian, definitely give it a read.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:44 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Addai is also leading all RBs in the NFL in receptions, with 26.

Tied for 11th overall in receptions in the league for all positions.

Obviously I am loving this, you guys know I am a big fan of passing the ball to the RB. It helps move the chains, makes downs more manageable which allows the Colts to either run or pass.
I am a fan of screen passes for RBs as well and even not designed passes to backs.

Unfortunately, it has also become necessary since our O-Line isn't doing a good job of run-blocking.

Any way to get our 2 stud backs into the 2nd level, they'll make things happen from there.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Kind of a lame weekend of football, with the Colts not playing and a number of other boring games. Thankfully the Colts are back in action.

It sounds like Kelvin Hayden and Charlie Johnson will definitely be back for this game, and Bob Sanders could be too. (I think he will play this game.) This week the Colts travel to St. Louis.

Obviously the Rams are struggling right now, but the big thing is for the Colts to not turn the ball over. Turnovers can keep a poor/struggling team in the game, and if they're in the game they gain confidence they can pull it off, and you've got a hornet's nest in your lap. Even if the game isn't close, the score could be.

Remember the game against Detroit last year? Two special teams fumbles (one of them was a mistake by the refs but whatever) kept them in the game, such that the score was close (21-21) until the 4th quarter when the Colts took control (finishing 31-21). Look at the Cowboys/Chiefs game two weeks ago. Cowboys turn the ball over 2 or 3 times, and they escape with the overtime win. The season opener against the Jags is another example.

Plus this is accentuated with a Rams defense that is good at creating turnovers, they were last year even before Spagnuolo took over this offseason. They were among the league leaders in forcing fumbles last season, but luck of the ball bouncing, couldn't recover most of them. They're doing a good job of creating turnovers this year. They've got a ballhawk free safety in Otogwe. Leonard Little still creates turnovers, heck he had his first career pick six against the Jags yesterday.

If Spags has some schemes planned, maybe some blitzes, it may catch Peyton and the offense off guard a little bit early on. This is an unfamiliar opponent. Keep that in mind, although I do think/agree the Colts offense will play well and be effective in terms of the game overall.

Same with the defense, I think they will do well too. The Rams deep threat receiver Donnie Avery was either injured or reaggravated a previous injury against the Jags, early in the 2nd quarter. Maybe the Colts don't see him this Sunday, we'll see. Either way, the Rams will have to try and deal with the tenacity and the speed of the Colts.

This is the last road game before a 3-game home stretch, which includes Houston and New England, so this is no time for a misstep and I am sure everyone on the Colts knows that.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Wink Jeff Fisher needs a Peyton jersey to feel like a winner

It gave me laughs, not sure Titans fans find it funny.

http://www.rcktwn.com/rallyforrocketown

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/200...-the-rocketown
Old 10-20-2009, 02:08 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

OMG!!!!!!

The second link gives a bunch of responses by Titans fans......and they ain't happy.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:23 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha

i done stole dis sig
Old 10-21-2009, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

That is the coolest moment ever.

Super awesome.

You get your Peyton on, Fisher.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:43 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Default Addai dances his way into your heart?

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...e+not+an+issue

Quote:
Addai a reliable short-yardage man

Colts running back Joseph Addai might have a reputation for being a dancer, but the numbers say he's a basher.

Addai has converted 42-of-53 third-down attempts of 2 or fewer yards for a 79.2 percent rate that is the NFL's best among active players since 2000 (minimum of 25 attempts).

Minnesota's Adrian Peterson is second at 41-of-53 (77.4), followed by Miami's Ronnie Brown at 40-for-53 (75.5) and Kansas City's Larry Johnson at 56-of-75 (74.7).

The Colts are 12-of-15 on third-and-2 or less this season, an 80 percent success rate that trails only Miami's 17-for-20, 85 percent.
Guess we'll always wonder what would have happened if they ran Addai on that 3rd and 2 in San Diego.

Keep up the great work, Joe.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Gosh I wonder if this means he isn't that bad, and that it was actually the crappy line that was the problem.

Addai is not perfect but he's not the dancing nancy that most dumb fans like to think he is. I'd say his biggest problem is how injury prone he is (not much to do about that), followed by his indecision at times, especially when he gets to the 2nd level.

i done stole dis sig