Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 11-19-2009, 02:31 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default Hey, where's Geo?

I haven't seen him post lately. What is Geo up to?:)
chad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alright so we got the Ravens up next. Another pretty great defense to go against but a shaky offense. Thankfully Mark Clayton (their #2) has been pretty inconsistent but seeing Watson do well against our defense worries me when you think of Todd Heap.

But the pass offense, even though Flacco is looking like a real NFL QB as opposed to a game manager, isn't what we are frightened about. It's the dreaded running game with a three-headed monster of Ray Rice, Willis McGahee and Le'Ron McClain.

We know what McGahee can do though his carries continue to dwindle as Ray Rice emerges as a potential top-flite RB in the NFL. Rice is sort of like a slower MJD with not as good hands (don't tell me how many catches Rice has, he isn't that versatile) and that pounding style of rushing can hurt Indy. My main concern is what Rice does to the DL.

Another concern is hoping the OL can continue protecting Manning and providing the occasional hole for Addai, Brown or Simpson. DeVan again will need to step up.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:47 PM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

chad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairchad72 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair
Default The young wideouts

I am really surprised a lot of teams have not tried blitzing Manning with his younger wideouts being covered one-on-one as much. They have done so in bits and pieces but I think the Ravens will test Garcon and Collie in one-on-one matchups giving safety help to Wayne and Clark. They will find out how the young guys do well as hot reads in blitzing situations. Based on the last game, Garcon is not a certainty in slants and hot reads, IMO. Plus, if we go with 2 TEs and 2 WRs, this is a game where the 2nd TE, Gijon Robinson, may get some wide open catches if Manning recognizes him quickly enough in a blitz situation where they want DC to roam free. They have seen 2 consecutive games where Addai has done enough damage with checkdowns in the red zone, so they will have a man on Addai and take a chance with Gijon Robinson hoping that he won't get enough separation fast enough from the line of scrimmage for Manning to checkdown to him.

If they play nickel and dime coverage throughout the game like the Pats did with at least 5 DBs in the game, Manning will eventually pick them apart. I expect the Ravens to blitz and not give Manning time to exploit their secondary, high risk but high reward too if the young wideouts do not step up.

Your thoughts??

Last edited by chad72 : 11-21-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know. Blitzing Manning is usually a bad idea unless you can successfully get to him in 2-3 seconds. He recognises is too well.
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Uh greed w/ Job. It's not a bad idea at all, but Peyton has adapted pretty well to the blitz and usually you have to sacrifice closer coverage of Dallas Clark. I do agree though with chad on everything else.

The Ravens will do everything they can, obviously, to make the Colts beat 'em in the running game. The Colts weakness is anything having the word "run" in front of it. Kyle Devan is going to have to step up, like I mentioned earlier, and Charlie Johnson will have to continue playing solid. This will be another big test, the first being Wilfork, for the crew.

The interior DL is going to face a test as well. The Ravens OL, namely Ben Grubbs, is a pretty solid unit (though I'm not sure how Gaither is doing post-injury) so we are going to have to see if they can get any push up the middle.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Seamus2602
Veteran

Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Seamus2602 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Same old story. Santi looking really good, 4 cathes, 60 yards, a couple of really good blocks and then he gets hurt.

In Football the object is for the Field General to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the Defence by hitting his Receivers with deadly accuracy, in spite of the Blitz, even if he has to use the Shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy’s Defensive Line.

In Baseball the object is to go home and be safe.
Seamus2602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Halftime:

14: Colts
12: Ravens

Manning has made some pretty good passes, per usual, but has thrown 2 INTs in the first half. Ravens D has been pretty solid but Addai had a few nice runs to close out the 2nd quarter before a TD run. While the running game is still not we want, there has been some minor improvement as of late.

Tom Santi has stepped up in a Gijon Robinson role but got drilled on a good catch across the middle. He took a knee on the sideline so yeah, we'll see what happens there. A shame too, he was looking real good.

Austin Collie made a great catch but besides that nothing much. Garcon had an amazing long ball got a tough first down inside the 15 as he continues to improve. Dallas Clark has been covered as we expected (though made a great one-handed catch) and Reggie Wayne had a few tough catches.

Ravens going with short screens to Ray Rice and underneath routes. Tim Jennings has been very good on Derrick Mason.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:58 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01 View Post
Tim Jennings has been very good on Derrick Mason.
Boy that didn't last huh?

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:22 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Boy that didn't last huh?
Nope, the first half he looked great. Was right on Mason and even helped out tackling Rice on a screen. Then the wheels fell off.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:43 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is never a good sign when your corners are better at tackling than your linebackers. This is what caught my attention at some point in the game.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
It is never a good sign when your corners are better at tackling than your linebackers. This is what caught my attention at some point in the game.
Our LBs (Brackett included) try too much arm and shoulder tackling. They should have Lacey run a tackling drill in practice, he knows how to grab a leg and upend a guy.

i done stole dis sig
Old 11-23-2009, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Default The Positives, The Negatives

So, now that we can soak in another Colts win; let's take a quick look back at the Baltimore Ravens game. As we all know, it was another pretty ugly win but a win nonetheless to get us to 10-0. However, we must take positives and negatives from this game.

The Positives

Blitzing
Lookie here, the Indianapolis Colts are actually blitzing! As we saw last week and now a bit more this week, Larry Coyer isn't afraid to incorporate some blitzing for the Colts. Seeing the Colts bring the house, rushed Joe Flacco into some incompletions that turned out to benefit the team. I'm pretty pumped for that.

Pierre Garcon
Garcon started the game off very good as he was on the receiving end of a 66 yard play in the first quarter en route to 6 catches, 108 yards (team high). But Garcon had plays, that I'd rather highlight. The first one being the big hit he took from Ray Lewis, that wasn't even a first down but showed something. He showed toughness, holding onto the ball and getting right back (even yelling to Ray-Ray). I don't approve of the smack talk, but it's good to see a Colts player take a big hit like that and get right back up. His bigger play was getting a WR screen that led to a first down that got the Colts inside the 5-yard line.

Tom Santi
Drafted out of Virginia in the 2008 NFL Draft, we haven't seen much of Santi in regular season action due to injury and being below Dallas Clark and Gijon Robinson on the depth chart. Hell, I even liked Jacob Tamme more than him. However, Santi was targeted frequently on Sunday and took some big hits. Maybe this is a new young wrinkle to the offense or a one-game occurrence. However.....good job Tom Santi.

Gary Brackett
While he isn't a superstar, I've always liked Gary Brackett. Maybe it's the Rutgers connection but while he still isn't a good tackler, he had two big plays that changed the game. The first one was a HUGE stop on Willis McGahee at the goal line which eventually led to a Cundiff FG as opposed to 7 points. The second one, was a big INT off Flacco that essentially won us the game.

Pat McAfee
Great hang-time. Love it.

Winning
A win is a win, no matter how close or how sloppy one played. I'd rather win a game like this than lose one.

The Negatives
Now, we gotta look at the negatives. There are plenty of things the Colts need to keep working on. Some were only seen on Sunday while some have been long-term issues.

Tom Santi
While I was proud of Santi's performance, he almost cost us the game. First, after a big reception (and going for a TD), Santi was helicopter'd (think Sage Rosenfels last year) and fumbled the ball inside the 10. The second was a critical offsides call which could've given the Ravens a chance at a comeback (though there were only :20 left). Gotta stop those mistakes if you want to keep in the lineup.

Random Reverse
For a team that predicates itself off precision and consistency, I do wonder why they sent Garcon on a reverse. The reverse cost us 7 yards at midfield and this led to a FG. Who knows if it actually played a big role in costing the Colts a TD but I was shaking my head about how poorly executed it was.

Tackling
Still got an issue with tackling. As Job said, when Tim Jennings (or any CB) can tackle better than your LB'ers; it's a cause for concern. That's what's happening with Indy. While it's not as anemic as it was before; the arm tackling is enough to make you want to pull your hair out. Ray Rice started eating away at the defense and while the injuries hurt, this is getting old.

Options After Clark
This is where Gonzo's return will be seen the most. The past two weeks we've seen the Patriots and Ravens target Dallas Clark more extensively. If you haven't noticed, the Colts haven't been able to get much going in the intermediate range besides Reggie Wayne. Garcon is mostly for deep-balls (and screens) and the same goes with Addai. Getting Gonzo going across the middle will make this offense so much more dangerous but it still sucks to see the team stall out a bit due to the coverage on Clark.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:08 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

New Polian Corner is out. Very interesting.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=ar...4-bf15b4eee74d

Quote:
Q: Is there any truth to the rumor that safety Bob Sanders could be released or traded at the end of his contract?
A: First of all, his contract is not up for another three years. There's no way we would cut Bob Sanders unless he's completely incapable of playing, and I don't think that that's the case. I think he'll be back better than ever as the saying goes next summer. I see no situation where we would cut him. Trade? There's an old saying, 'Don't ever trade anybody who can help you.' I think Bob Sanders can help us a lot (laughing), so it would have to be a blockbuster offer to even consider it. I don't see any chance that either thing could happen. I think Bob's back with us, as I say, better than ever and in a good frame of mind – whole and healthy and ready to go.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Polian is either stupid or thinks we're stupid. Sanders will not be back and better than ever. He may be able to come back and contribute (I doubt it) but his best year was and will always be 2007.

i done stole dis sig
Old 11-25-2009, 10:49 AM    (permalink
chad72
Rookie

Default If I am BP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Polian is either stupid or thinks we're stupid. Sanders will not be back and better than ever. He may be able to come back and contribute (I doubt it) but his best year was and will always be 2007.
...I'd showcase a healthy Sanders playing well for half a year and then trade him, IMO. That is the best way we can get something in return for him.

Our quality safety depth is still shallow after Bullitt. We need to draft a good safety in the 2010 draft and let him learn for a few games before we can entertain trade offers. A combination of a rookie safety learning for a few games and a possibly healthy Sanders for half a year will be the ideal option for us to get some trade value. Isn't the trade deadline sometime after the 4th or 5th game?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:30 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I might be in a minority, but I don't think Bob is finished.

And yes, I'm still holding out hope that he can return and be the dominant force he was during his DPOY days.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:25 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Chris Polian is promoted to VP/GM role.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4693394

He better be as good as his father.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Freeney out vs. Texans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4696309

Damnit. It doesn't sound like he will be out too long, but we certainly could use him vs. Houston.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:35 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Nice win. We started out terrible, but picked it up when we needed to.

Good day running the ball with Addai and Brown. And how about that TD run by Simpson?

Chad's a keeper. I hope we get him more touches.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

I like him as a running back. He's a terrible kick returner though.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:44 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Do we have a player on our roster that isn't terrible at KR?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler

of course not. Have we ever had one?
Old 11-30-2009, 08:56 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
of course not. Have we ever had one?
Terrence Wilkins was good but had Purnell's blocking scheme. I still think Rushing should be doing all returns. I don't think any returner would have consistent success with the way our STs (don't) block.

i done stole dis sig
Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats on the win today guys! Hate getting swept by ya'll, but ya'll are some kind of awesome this year. Good luck the rest of the season, and possibly even going for perfection! :)

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:01 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Thanks TH. Good luck to you guys as well. The division is a lot more interesting when VY and Johnson are playing well.

i done stole dis sig