Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:02 PM    (permalink
RexGrossmans-cheesecake
Veteran

RexGrossmans-cheesecake could make a wolverine purr.RexGrossmans-cheesecake could make a wolverine purr.RexGrossmans-cheesecake could make a wolverine purr.RexGrossmans-cheesecake could make a wolverine purr.RexGrossmans-cheesecake could make a wolverine purr.RexGrossmans-cheesecake could make a wolverine purr.
Default Stafford named starting QB

Matthew Stafford has been named the starting QB for the Lions. Discuss.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4452545

Thanks BoneKrusher!
RexGrossmans-cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:04 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well he can't do any worse than Carr did. Calvin will save him.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bad choice.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like the move to be honest. I felt Culpepper was a bit better from what I saw this preseason. Stafford and the Lions are going to take their lumps early that's for sure. I just hope he doesn't get killed behind that line. Patience is key with Stafford.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:07 PM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see the big problem in the move. They drafted him for a reason and if it looks like he can't grasp on to the speed then just take him out and put Culpepper in for a couple of weeks.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Culpepper is hurt right now, right? Something about stitches and violent carpeting...
Old 09-07-2009, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's risky but believe me folks, Stafford has things that Daunte does not have.

Daunte's foot injury might be coming into play here, but assuming it's not, the Lions are showing that they are letting it all hang out and going after the reward of big plays. Also, Stafford to CJ will scare teams more and open up the run game. As long as Matt can keep the TD-to-INT ratio around 1-1 and avoid getting hurt, I believe it's the right move.

Edit: CC.SD - Carr? What?! I oughta hit your rep for that. But I'll be nice, it's a holiday.

Last edited by Calvin & Kevin : 09-07-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Calvin & Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Daunte isn't going to be 100% to start the season so I'm sure the injury probably played a part in it. Culpepper was better in the preseason, but not so much better that he significantly improves our chances to win. Stafford will be fine, he's ready.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:25 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like what I saw from Stafford, but I would've liked to go with Culpepper for at least the first half of the year.

We're gonna have a bad year either way, so might as well get Stafford some experience I suppose. Our defense will be pretty bad and I don't think we'll have a very good run game (not high on Kevin Smith) but as long as Stafford throws it to Calvin every play we should have a chance to win some games.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stafford will throw a lot of Interceptions and shouldn't be starting unless Culpepper is a no go.Personally, I think Stafford should sit the whole year unless injuries come into play. He is not close to being able to start at this time. Teams run the exhibition season with vanilla defenses showing very little of what they will use during the regular season. Stafford will have a huge adjustment to reading the defense quickly and picking up his secondary receivers. It is going to be ugly until he learns to read defenses and find his secondary receivers quickly.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People said this about Matty Ice last year...so you never know, it might work out ok.

Hes got some good young recievers around him, and i think Kevin Smith is going to be a good everydown back. If he can avoid mistakes, and utilize Megatron and Pettigrew properly, i can see him doing pretty well this year.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:51 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Pettigrew will be the key. That, and staying upright.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BTW, Lions fans, what's the story on Gosder Cherilus so far this offseason and preseason?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he's going to play i'd dumb down the playbook (no Matt Millen jokes)and let him ease his way into things. Worst thing in the world is for him to have to throw 40 times and get beat up. Obviously he's the franchise at that position so i'd take it slow. For me i would have started Culpepper and look to around week 4 for Stafford to show up. Dollars seem to come into these decisions but for a guy who should be a senior at Georgia not the way i would have gone.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gosder, and the whole line, has shown signs of improvement. In run blocking I think they will be middle of the road, and in pass pro they will still be below average but not the historically bad unit they've been.

I still think that Backus and Gosder will give up some clean shots at Stafford and that's where he's going to have to use his quick release and get used to getting rid of the ball in those cases. But I don't think it will be flat-out target practice like some people are expecting.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Kevin View Post
Gosder, and the whole line, has shown signs of improvement. In run blocking I think they will be middle of the road, and in pass pro they will still be below average but not the historically bad unit they've been.

I still think that Backus and Gosder will give up some clean shots at Stafford and that's where he's going to have to use his quick release and get used to getting rid of the ball in those cases. But I don't think it will be flat-out target practice like some people are expecting.
Having said that do they have their LT picked out for the 2010 draft?
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watch the first series of the pre-season game against Buffalo. Him and Calvin were so sick.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:54 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The less hits he takes the better he'll probably be. But behind that line, who knows.

If K.Smith can get that run game going, a little PA will help alot.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Megatron will bale him out so much. With out Megatron and Smith, he would be killed. Thankfully they have som pretty good skill players.

Last edited by Jakey : 09-07-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Jakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:35 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I cant wait to introduce Matthew to Mr. Allen. :-)

General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

High risk, high reward play

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
High risk, high reward play
Agreed on so many levels.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think there's much risk. Stafford won't be rattled.

This will just get a head start on Stafford/Calvin becoming the most feared QB/WR combo in history.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:31 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I don't think there's much risk. Stafford won't be rattled.

This will just get a head start on Stafford/Calvin becoming the most feared QB/WR combo in history.
Yep, thats what they said about David Carr. This is stupid move, unless the OL got 20x better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:38 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Believe me, I get the move but I am not a fan. I know people now think rookie QB's can come in and tear it up but really this isn't the right situation. The lions were 29th running the ball, gave up the second most sacks and don't have a defense yet that will help him like the Ravens did Flacco and the running game the Falcons gave Ryan. He is the QB of the future on a team that went 0-16, let Culpepper start the season and groom Stafford to start if or when the lions feel the season is out of reach. Yes the Dolphins went 1-15 to 11-5 but is that really going to happen here? I don't think the lions' organization have proven themselves enough to make a risky move like this. I know they have CJ a top 5 wr but I think this will hurt them more than help them down the road.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote