Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 09-08-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bills at Patriots-Week 1

Just a few thoughts about how things could and should turn out.

New England Patriots offense vs Buffalo Bills defense

Brady's back! It's what everyone has been waiting for since about 7 mins left in the first quarter of the first game last year. If Brady can regain even close to his 2007 form without having to take a lot of time to settle in then this season could be fun. For me the main problem is going to be protecting him. Luckily in week one, the Bills don't exactly have a terrifying pass rush. Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin are a good pair of CBs, however when the Patriots spread them in a 4 WR set then the defense will be exposed. I expect to see a lot of blitzing from the Bills to see if Brady has any nerves hanging in the pocket after his injury however if they don't get there then it could spell trouble.

The Patriots RBs lack a true feature back, however the combination of Maroney, Taylor, Morris, Faulk and BJGE should combine for around 120yds on the ground against a Bills defense which, apart from Stroud and Posluzny isn't very stout. I also don't think the Poz has the athleticism to man up on Faulk out of the backfield.

In the passing game the Bills will have no choice but to at least double Moss who had 4 TDs in the first half the last time these two teams played. Another problem I see for the Bills CBs is Randy Moss is listed as 6'4'', both McKelvin and McGee are listed as under 6 feet. I fully expect McKelvin and Bryan Scott to double Moss most of the day and with McGee covering Galloway. Wes Welker is my tip to have a very good day on Monday night. I'm thinking roughly 8-10 catches for approximately 100 yards and a TD.

Advantage Patriots offense.

Buffalo Bills offense vs New England Patriots defense

Getcha popcorn ready, it's TO time. TO and Lee Evans form a formidable starting WR duo. Make or break year this year for Trent Edwards who needs to show if he can be the guy to bring the Bills forward or if they need to look elsewhere, and with the issues on the O-line it isn't looking good.

Marshawn Lynch is suspended for the start of the season so it will be Fred Jackson who gets the bulk of the carries in this game. The loss of Richard Seymour will hurt when the Patriots are in the 30 front, however I feel that 4 man fronts will be used extensively, particularly in this game. The two WRs will force the Patriots defense to play honest and not load the box so I expect to see Warren, Wilfork, Brace/Pryor and Green on any down that is not an obvious passing down. With Mayo behind that line I fully expect the Patriots defense to shut down the running game.

The Bills have been stockloading Wrs in recent years to the extent that James Hardy who was picked high last year is buried on the depth chart. I think Buffalo's best chance in this game is to keep it close and use a lot of play action and throwing on first down against the above-mentioned defensive line. If the Patriots offense can put up quick points then the Bills will be forced to abandon the running game which will play into Belichick's hands. I fully expect when the Bills come out passing to be playing a 4 man front again. This time it will be Green, Warren, Wilfork/Brace/Pryor and Burgess. I also expect AD to blitz a lot from SAM. With the upgraded secondary and an inexperienced offensive line playing the first game of the season for Buffalo I expect the Patriots to have a very good night on defense.

Advantage Patriots defense.

Special Teams

The Bills have had one of the best special teams units for the last number of years. Recently the Patriots have lost a number of special teams aces such as Larry Izzo, Kelley Washington etc. Both teams have good punters and good kickers. It will be interesting to see how each side fares with the new rule about the wedge. With Roscoe Parrish and Leodis McKelvin as return men the Bills may get consistent good field position and maybe a score or two. While Edelman, Welker, Faulk, Wheatley, Butler all have shown something in the kick and punt return situations, none offer the same threat as Buffalo.

Advantage Buffalo special teams.

Prediction:

Buffalo Bills 13-34 New England Patriots

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:17 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Bills may try to use play action but it's not likely to be effective since their line is so bad they won't be able to run in the first place.

The only concern I have for this team is a potential flop because of the last minute trade of Richard Seymour. Does it really have to be the Bills in week one after a major roster shake up?

Nice write up.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pats* 51 - Bills 6
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
The Bills may try to use play action but it's not likely to be effective since their line is so bad they won't be able to run in the first place.

The only concern I have for this team is a potential flop because of the last minute trade of Richard Seymour. Does it really have to be the Bills in week one after a major roster shake up?

Nice write up.
Haha, right? 31-0 after Milloy is cut? I don't buy it. The offense is too much for the bills D to handle, and the O-line of the bills plays poorly. Pats all day.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:08 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's annoying that we have to wait until Monday Night and that we also have to deal with the ESPN MNF crew during the Pats game...
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Game Is Almost On!!!

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

T. Brady looked good for his first game.
Maroney looked good as well.

Our DLine sucked though. We got no push until the 4th qtr
What's up with Mayo? I hope it's not too serious.
Guyton seemed to be a stem behind in every play

Wilfork's PF call was ********. AT needs to stop piledriving QBs also.

O- B-
D- D
ST- A

Last edited by Nalej : 09-14-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
redbills
Pro Bowler

redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.redbills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys got lucky this game was against the Bills, any other team would have keep the lead. No this is the Bills no lead is safe.
redbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Positives:

Brady looked very good in the second half and decent in the first. Of course you have to love the GW drive and the stats (a lot of attempts/completions and yards), but the offense was obviously focusing on the short stuff and rarely went down the field. He threw one somewhat long ball to Galloway, but I don't know what happened there. Either a bad throw or he was getting rid of it. At the end of the game, when it counted, Brady made two beautiful throws to Watson splitting the safeties in that predictable cover 2.

When did Watson learn how to make an impact in the receiving game? He had one pretty bad drop, but other than that he was getting open and holding on to the ball. If he plays like that this year then that would be huge.

Maroney looked like he was playing with a purpose, too. He slowed down and didn't get as many carries at the end but early on he was bursting through the hole like he hasn't done since his rookie year. He had one nice and natural looking catch as well.

Adailus, **** yeah. I know he had a dumb penalty and didn't do too much in the beginning, but he beasted at the end and that last spin move for the sack was down right filthy.

Meriweather was a step late at times but he was playing to hurt people and make plays. We need that from him. That hit and FF on that kickoff was an amazing play.

Moss/Welker each had a drop or two, but they were extremely productive. Moss looked like he was playing with passion as did Welker, but we come to expect that from Welker. Moss is a stud but we all know he doesn't always go all out, today he was busting his ass.

Didn't see too much from James Sanders, but he was coming in and finishing hits. Was playing deep a lot I think, I didn't really key on him.

I was pretty impressed with the secondary in general. No big plays, they were willing to hit, and they really limited TO and Evans to nothing. Butler had a real nice break on the ball and almost picked it off. Bodden looked very physical, I was impressed with him and the secondarys coverage on TO in general. Wilhite looked like he was around some receptions but he was throwing his body around.

Wilfork was in the backfield all day. He could've made some tackles back therre but his disruption was incredible and the LBs should've been taking advantage of it, oh wait we don't have any...

TBC generated some pressure and was being pretty disruptive.

Negatives:

Matt Light. Schoebel raped him in every facet of the game. I liked seeing Sea Bass get some reps.

Too much overpursuit by the front 7. We got killed on screens and draws by going upfield too much and not being aware.

Why couldn't we capitalize on our opporitunities?

Pierre Woods just isn't a starter. He looked lost and was really out of position on Shawn Nelsons TE catch.

Overall, it may seem like I put too much positives but we were a different team in the second half. Loved seeing Brady pull of a come back, but we definitely need work as a team.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:15 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great writeup Vito. I posted some stuff in the game day thread, but I got home late so I'm not sure anybody saw them.

There was a lot of good and a lot of bad in this game. Very frustrating to have it even come down to that. We should have been up by at least three scores.

As far as Brady and the passing attack went, it was really a tale of two halves. In the first, Brady was defiantly off and missed pretty badly on some balls. It might not show up in the stat sheet, but he didn't have Brady-like placement on a lot of balls. That's partially why the short passing game wasn't as effective for us this game as it has been in years past. That has to do with rushing things as well. He wasn't really looking for the play to develop if the first half of the game. All and all, we were just out of sync. It was particularly pailful in the red zone. Where were the cheap slants and crossing patterns? The Bills did a good job at containing and tackling in the open field, but I honestly believe that with better timing and ball placement, we would have had three or four more YPC for both Moss and Welker. I wasn't really impressed with the way we called plays tonight either. The couple times we did take shots it looked like it was working. I'm not sure why we didn't go down the seam a bit more passing. Watson was EXCELLENT tonight when we were doing this. If he can play like this all season I think we'll all be very happy. Didn't really go outside much either. Brady missed a couple passes there early, but there were oppurtunities there. All and all, we didn't have the timing we had a few years ago or even towards the end of last year with Cassel. The good news is that this is probably extremely correctable without a whole hell of a lot of effort, and should drastically improve over the course of the season.

Maroney looked really good hitting the hole on draws in the first half. That's really where he's at his best I think, on one cut and go draw plays. He still looks awful when there isn't open field in front of him. He starts moving his feet WAAAY too much and doesn't have the drive to win battles when there isn't space. It's a shame given his size and speed. Fred Taylor looked alright on a few plays, but we're clearly not getting the guy who used to be one of the top runners in the league. Still, it was nice to see a guy actually go into a scrum instead of slowing up. Kevin Faulk played his ass off again tonight and really deserves all the praise he gets as the one of the best third down specialists in the league. Blocked well all game and made a visible impact as a receiver.

Didn't like the play out of the line at all today. Schobel absolutely abused Light and honestly, it might be time to start looking for a better tackle in the next couple drafts. I've just never liked the guy and tonight was a classic example as to why I've had reservations about him. The right side of our line didn't look too spectacular either. That's an area that we need to look to improve upon at some point as well. As a unit, it wasn't a bad game, but Light looked horrible.

Defensively, we looked young. That's the best way I think I can describe it. Our secondary looked great covering receivers, but as far as secondary help on runs to the outside, we were getting killed. We really missed Mayo the range of Mayo in the middle today, and hopefully it wasn't too serious. It didn't look too bad, but those knee injuries are never any fun at all. The most frustrating part of this game was the completely atypical lack of awareness we showed. We were getting absolutely murdered on mental plays today. Everytime the Bills went to a screen or a draw, we weren't in position at all and reacted to it late. Just horrible. Once we got there, we showed poor closing skills. There were a lot of plays that went for big yards because we over pursued or just didn't get in position. The pass rush really showed up in the second half, and Tully looks comfortable playing in a Patriots uniform again. Burgess got some pretty good pressure off the edge at times as well.

Overall, I think rust is our biggest problem right now offensively. The timing and rhythm will come eventually though, and we watched the offense get better before our eyes tonight. Our offensive line needs to play better, particularly in blocking for the run, but that's something we've showed that we just aren't very good at by now. But if you're going to have a finesses line, you damn sure better win against the pass rush. We were doing that most of the time, but there's not much to excuse Light's play.

It was a bit messy....but seriously, he's back guys!

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:50 AM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just wanted to drop in and say, that those were the best looking throwback unis i've seen yet. If they wore those all season I think it would be the bomb-diggity.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:52 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I love the Pat the Patriot era throwbacks, my favorite helmets in pro football. The Bills ones were real nice too, I would have no problem to seeing the reds full time for the Pats.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:07 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

What a garbage win, but I'll take it. Bill O'Brien has a long way to go...
Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
What a garbage win, but I'll take it. Bill O'Brien has a long way to go...
I agree about O'Brien. We just never really got rhythm offensively and the play calling had a lot to do with it.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-15-2009, 11:01 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just wish they had the blue stripe down the middle of the helmet. Pat the Patriot throwbacks are easily my favorite, though I am also a fan of Buffalo's (they should always wear theirs considering how attrocious their normal uni's are now), Tennessee's, and Tampa Bay's (#2 imo).
Old 09-15-2009, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I saw Vollmer at LT last night. That something that's going to be looked at more by the Pats?
Any updates on Mayo? He's too important to that D

Old 09-15-2009, 11:46 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Solid notes guys. I was back and forth between bitching and praising Maroney all night. I just don't get it - the only thing he needs to learn is to put his shoulder down and gain 3 yards when there's no hole. It really is NOT that difficult - every play won't be a home run.

Guyton was swallowed up +/- out of position often last night and we don't have anyone on the roster to help out there. Scary . . . our LBs are likely to be a season long liability with teams just checking to plays heading away from Adalius & keying on cutting off Mayo.

Oline help would be nice, as mentioned. But that was the quietest, most unassuming 378 yards passing I've even witnessed. Am I the only one who was slightly surprised to see the stat line at the end of the game?

Overall I am more concerned than I was before the game. The DBs looked good as expected, the Dline looked good w/o Richard but I wasn't expecting a major drop off there as I have been a pretty vocal supporter of Jarvis as a starter. To be fair, it probably helped that we showed a ton of 4-3. The LBs and the Oline looked worse than anticipated, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbills View Post
You guys got lucky this game was against the Bills, any other team would have keep the lead. No this is the Bills no lead is safe.
I don't know about "any other team" but there are certainly a bunch of teams that would be more likely to finish off an 11 point lead w/5 minutes left to play.

2 great games to watch last night. That was a fantastic start to the MNF season.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I saw Vollmer at LT last night. That something that's going to be looked at more by the Pats?
I don't know anything about Mayo, but I think Vollmer will get some looks at left tackle. He looked really athletic in the few times he played in Lights spot. Schobel forced him out on an island once, but couldn't get around him because of his feet.

The six offensive linemen thing we were doing last night was...interesting. Ineffective and predictable for the most part, but interesting.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-15-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Good news on Mayo;
http://www.nesn.com/2009/09/report-j...g-serious.html

About as close as we'll get to confirmation he won't be out for extended time. Sounds like he's playing next week too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya, BB said that Mayo would not be out for the year, at least that they did not think so at this moment. We should learn more (not much, lol) when the injury report comes out wednesday.

Also, I agree, the playcalling was atrocious at points. 4th and an inch, and we call and outside zone? really?

Vollmer looked really good when he was in there, would like to see him get more reps although having continuity on the OL is VERY important. Maroney looked great at points, but I still am quick to defend him in that when he dances, its because there is NO HOLE.

Guyton looked decent overall IMO. Clearly LB and a pass rush are our biggest concerns at this point. Rushing 6 and we get 0 pressure? Can't have that. Secondary looked vastly improved from last year.

Last edited by Bigburt63 : 09-15-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Bigburt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

We got heat a times, but the sack numbers are more indicative of good coverage down the field rather than consistent penetration.

As far as Maroney goes, you're probably right. We might just be the worst run blocking team in football. We don't get any push or create any space for runners. The only time we get yardage is on draws and runs to the outside. There's nothing up the guy EVER.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I think anyone who doesn't love Matt Light as a person is automatically a horrible person, but he's looked terrible at LT at numerous points since Graham left... Vollmer looked like a big upgrade in the pre-season, and again last night.

On Maroney...ya, there are no holes because they're a bad run blocking team, but he's shell-shocked and afraid that he'll hurt his shoulder. It's time to ship him off to someone like Green Bay for one of their excess receivers. If there's no hole, hit somebody! Make them not want to be where you're going! That's what the Pats need right now (since their run blocking is ****).

The secondary looked outstanding. Wilhite and Butler are going to be good ones for a few years, and it was good to see Springs out there after not getting any action in the pre-season.

I thought the pass rush was decent. Buffalo was a lot better in their protection than we thought they'd be going into the season, but TBC and Thomas were causing problems for them anyway. The pass rush designs have been very vanilla since Crennel left (and especially under Pees)...I'd like to see them mix it up more in that department...especially with the versatility they have in the secondary.

As a whole, I'm just glad they ended up with the W. This game was a huge adjustment period for the entire team. With Brady back and Vollmer being rotated into the offense and Rodney and Richard gone from the defense... It would have been nice to see them walk over Buffalo, but I'm kinda glad they went through adversity in Week 1 rather than down the road.

Only big thing now is how long Mayo's out. ILB was thin before and he was the big piece of duct tape there... Guyton looked better as the game progressed, but hopefully someone else can step up and do something (whether it be Thomas at ILB or whatever).
Old 09-15-2009, 09:58 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

If Mayo does end up missing more than a game, I think we see Thomas move inside to be the big linebacker and see Guyton used as the coverage guy. I feel a lot better playing the young guys we have outside(Where the hell is Crable?) than going with whoever is behind Guyton. It probably means we're a 4-3 team if Mayo is out though...and that leaves a horrible taste in my mouth.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 09-15-2009, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Mayo has an MCL sprain and BB said he doesn't expect it to be season ending.
That certainly sounds like he'll be out a couple of games though.
Crable is on the IR...again. I hope they don't move AT to the inside.
He was too disruptive on the outside. Where was Brace though?
I kept seeing Wright lineup next to Wilfork.
I too was very impressed with our secondary. I'd like to see Chung worked into the rotation at safety though. I didn't seeing out there much.
I saw him alot on special teams though.
Seau said he'd be up to coming back with the Pats. I wouldn't mind it. Depth is the name of the game.
I'd like to see Galloway used in the passing game. I think he can open things up.
I love the fact that Watson made some big plays. I still have hope that he can develop into an all star TE.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:02 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Well, we're ****** linebacker wise now. Mayo said it was nothing serious initially, but an MCL will keep him out two or three games at the very least. Possibly a lot more.

And Crable to the IR? I have zero faith of him ever being a productive football player for us. Nothing left to do besides watch Clay Matthews/Connor Barwin and cry a little.

R.I.P. Junior Seau