Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:40 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu View Post
The Rams are making the playoffs, u all look silly. I got the #1 pick going to the Lions again.
You're still supporting them?

Must be early in the season. lol

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM    (permalink
AkiliSmith
Veteran

AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AkiliSmith is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cincy was clearly a better team than Denver yesterday. The offense played well in spurts but 7 drops and penalties on 3rd down really killed them. I expect the offense to pick up and start scoring more very soon.

Palmer only played a few series of preseason so he was still a little rusty. Add in Smith over revolving door Collins (who gave up 2 sacks yesterday) and the line looks a lot better.

Their defense looked really damn good other than the fluke 87 yd ******* catch to end the ******* game.

I don't expect Cincy to make the playoffs but I really doubt they are picking top 10 again next year.
AkiliSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would have to disect the schedules to figure #1 but it's been clear to me for awhile that the draft doesnt bring parity like it should. Can't see the Rams, Lions or Panthers winning too many games.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:23 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rams were plagued with penalties that stalled several drives. Without those penalties, the game would have been closer. The defense also played pretty well, it just got tired, it happens.

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:25 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
I'm going to go with Buffalo, too. That O-line looked terrible through 4 preseason games. They have a bunch of youth there that could improve dramatically over the course of a season but they really would need to improve dramatically to even be mediocre.

I don't believe for a second the Rams are a good team, but I believe the Seahawks were major underachievers last season. I'm not surprised by Seattle's solid play on both sides of the ball yesterday.

The contenders for top pick (even if they may have traded said pick) in no particular order are: Bills, Browns, Rams, Broncos, Lions & Bucs.
Silly Elvis. You have no idea what you're in for, tonight.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:27 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love how people keep using the "my team commited too many penalties and made stupid mistakes" excuse.

That's part of what makes a team good or bad, the ability to not make stupid mistakes.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:29 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
I love how people keep using the "my team commited too many penalties and made stupid mistakes" excuse.

That's part of what makes a team good or bad, the ability to not make stupid mistakes.
Well excuse me for pointing out a fact.

When your implementing a new offense, and your constantly in 2nd and long, and 3rd and long... good luck trying to get ANYTHING going.

Which we did not.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Would have to disect the schedules to figure #1 but it's been clear to me for awhile that the draft doesnt bring parity like it should. Can't see the Rams, Lions or Panthers winning too many games.
Draft can't do it alone. It's more of a channel or a means to create parity. The teams still have to use it correctly, and then train, prepare and execute correctly.

For many teams, the draft does create parity. Think of teams records before they pick up a RB or a franchise QB in the 1st round alone. Then take into consideration later rounds.

The thing about sports is they have over a thousand different variables that can effect each decade, season or game. Injuries being one of the major ones, and we all know teams would be much different if they didn't lose their franchise quarterback, halfback or linebacker for an entire season at a time.

There just is no realistic way to fix the draft to create more parity =/

Last edited by Bengalsrocket : 09-14-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:31 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
Well excuse me for pointing out a fact.

When your implementing a new offense, and your constantly in 2nd and long, and 3rd and long... good luck trying to get ANYTHING going.

Which we did not.

Then don't get in 2nd and 3rd and long situations. It's that simple. You can't just assume that penalties are going to go away, some teams just make more bonehead plays than others and that's one of the reasons why there are good teams and bad teams.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The difference here though, is that discipline is something you could fix early or mid season fairly easily. The other factors that make a team good or bad (i.e. talent) are much harder to fix mid season.

So yes, if your team committed a lot of penalties, I think it's a decent excuse.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:40 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Then don't get in 2nd and 3rd and long situations. It's that simple. You can't just assume that penalties are going to go away, some teams just make more bonehead plays than others and that's one of the reasons why there are good teams and bad teams.
You don't get in 2nd and 3rd and long situations? Look at the stats, we sure as hell did too get in those, and I bet our 3rd down average was 3rd and 11 (atleast).

Yes, it does make teams look BAD when it happnes. In no way am I saying that's why we lost, and we're a good team. I'm saying it hurt us a hell of a lot more than anything that game.

It's something you coach, Spagnuolo is a rookie, he's got learning to do. You don't coach your first game in the Regular season perfect as a rookie. You learn and coach to fix mistakes.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:42 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
The difference here though, is that discipline is something you could fix early or mid season fairly easily. The other factors that make a team good or bad (i.e. talent) are much harder to fix mid season.

So yes, if your team committed a lot of penalties, I think it's a decent excuse.

If that was the case then penalties wouldn't be an issue in the playoffs or end of the regular season, it's not always easy. The fact is St. Louis got shut out by a mediocre team and only put up 247 total yards, and the Bengals didn't score on a terrible Bronco defense until the third quarter.

Last edited by yo123 : 09-14-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:44 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Quote:
If that was the case then penalties wouldn't be an issue in the playoffs or end of the regular season, it's not always easy. The fact is St. Louis got shut out by a mediocre team and only put up 247 totals yards, and the Bengals didn't score on a terrible Bronco defense until the third quarter.
I'm fully aware that we got shut out, and I'm not hiding from it. Nor am I embarassed. Because if you actually watch the game, it's much, much closer than the score shows.

Old 09-14-2009, 02:45 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
You don't get in 2nd and 3rd and long situations? Look at the stats, we sure as hell did too get in those, and I bet our 3rd down average was 3rd and 11 (atleast).

Yes, it does make teams look BAD when it happnes. In no way am I saying that's why we lost, and we're a good team. I'm saying it hurt us a hell of a lot more than anything that game.

It's something you coach, Spagnuolo is a rookie, he's got learning to do. You don't coach your first game in the Regular season perfect as a rookie. You learn and coach to fix mistakes.

I never said you didn't get in 3rd and long situations. I said if you want to win games you can't get in those situations
Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

I know, I'm going to negative rep myself for misreading that.

Dicipline is something that is coached, and Incognito is now on his LAST chacne. Spagnuolo and Co. are not afraid of cutting players or trading them (see Torry Holt, Orlando Pace, Chris Draft, Tye Hill). I fully expect a better Rams game next week.

Our secondary actually looks pretty sick.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Lions at least have some young talent in Stafford, Megatron and Kevin Smith, what do the Rams have?

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFLO View Post
I'm having a feeling that the skid the Panthers started yesterday is going to last a bit longer than they want. Maybe not 1st pick, but Top 10 status.

The Rams look awful as do the Broncos and Browns.

Cleveland started off decent, but it was clear that Brady Quinn was struggling as the game went along.

Also, a team that did win yesterday but I still think has some deep development to go through is the Saints. They gave up 27 points to the Lions at home? That doesn't sound right to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
hmmm my top 5 right now in no order

1. Rams
2. Bengals
3. Panthers
4. Lions
5. Probably Buffalo but they have still to play/ maybe NE if oakland ends up being garbage.

This is the first week so by week 6 we should have a better image of who is going top 5.

Colts, Vikings and Dolphins all lost to teams that ended up with top 15 picks in the first week and made the playoffs themselves.

It's the first week. The Panthers don't belong so low on the list. The defense and running game were fine yesterday, Delhomme just couldn't stop throwing picks. Two of them weren't wholly his fault anyway.

I don't like our chances of winning the division but a top 10 pick isn't going to happen. Besides we don't even have a first rounder.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:44 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the Chiefs didn't even look like a top 8 worst team.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:51 PM    (permalink
superman8456
Veteran

superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.superman8456 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Texans suck.....bad.
superman8456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman8456 View Post
Texans suck.....bad.
Texans, Rams, Browns all looked beyond terrible.

Cincy and Denver both looked bad, not awful, but bad.

There's top 7 right there Houston, Tampa, and Detroit round out my top 10

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
I'm going to go with Buffalo, too. That O-line looked terrible through 4 preseason games. They have a bunch of youth there that could improve dramatically over the course of a season but they really would need to improve dramatically to even be mediocre.
Looking like a sound prediction so far ;)
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:06 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man, all this hate for the Broncos defense. With what I saw Sunday compared to last year, it was like they had a #1 defense out there. Now, I know they won't be amazing on D, but they sure do look like they will be "respectable" and not so embarrassing out there. With what I mean by respectable, is that yes they will give up yards/points, and not be in the top 10/15, but it won't be a mockery like it has been. At least, I hope so haha.
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:16 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Raiders should be taken out of this disscussion for now....

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:19 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
Raiders should be taken out of this disscussion for now....
Why? They found a way to lose against in a game they were dominating against a team that was playing awful.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Why? They found a way to lose against in a game they were dominating against a team that was playing awful.
The Raiders!

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for 50 years! Pride & Poise, Just Win, Baby!

Same owner for 50 years, How's that for consistency!

No pain like Raiders' fans pain.... Watching Cable in his postgame finishing up with "...& now we have to get ready for KC" is a deja vu endless loop of the past 4-5 HCs, it just never ends.

After Wk. 1 it looks like:

1) Rams - Sheep are offensively impotent, defense going on 7-8 yrs. of not stopping anybody
2) Raiders - See consistency remarks above
3) Lions - There's a talent base to build on but they're a decade away
4) Browns - Everywhere Mangini goes he leaves these steaming piles that you don't want to step in
5) Jaguars - Jack Del Rio, put your For Sale sign out now

Maybe substitute Texans for Jags, Denver could crack the top 5 drafting teams if the dissension continues.

Last edited by LizardState : 09-15-2009 at 09:27 AM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote