Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC East Division Forum

NFC East Division Forum Discuss the NFC East

View Poll Results: Best NFC East DB?
Asante Samuel, CB, Philadelphia 28 37.33%
Corey Webster, CB, New York 24 32.00%
Sheldon Brown, CB, Philadelphia 14 18.67%
Carlos Rogers, CB, Washington 1 1.33%
Other (please indicate who) 8 10.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2009, 10:15 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
he had a pass interference that wouldve been a touchdown...

Jackson also caught a bomb pass on him that wasn't a touchdown, but went for a good 40 yards or so.

I wouldn't say he shut down anything. He didn't have a terrible game, but he wasn't dominant either.

Floyd got past him a couple of times too, but he had help up top.

He had safety help on most plays, and wasn't on Jackson for much of the game. He covered Floyd more than Jackson.
Jackson had two catches v him. Only one of note. No TD, I Pick.

Again in New Orleans he played very well. He also comes up with the ball at least once a game.

Best right now I say.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sheldon Brown broke up three passes and forced a red-zone fumble. He's decent, I'd say.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:11 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Sheldon Brown broke up three passes and forced a red-zone fumble. He's decent, I'd say.
Yeah and Jenkins stopped cold his guy in NOLA plus he had another pick and would have had two had he not dropped one.

So ........ until ESPN crowns him (late) ..... opinions here are lagging indicators.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Supporting Caste
Rookie

Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Supporting Caste is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a huge Jenkins fan and, again, I would pick him for the future over any DB in the East (and probably over anyone except Revis league-wide), but I think Brown and Samuel are definitely better at the moment.

It's pretty easy to argue that Samuel and Brown are both top 5 in the league.
Supporting Caste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:22 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Terrell Thomas is still really underrated. He and Jenkins are the two of the best young up and coming corners in the league, not just the division.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:56 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still love Samuel even though people say Brown is better(which he very well may be). I still love corners who can create turnovers, honestly I admire that trait more then guys who just cover well, turnovers get you the ball back, and Samuel can jump a route and read a QB better then the best of them. Granted he may not be the best at pure man coverage, or better then Brown, but he's a beast in his own right.

Put him in the right scheme and he'll be one of the best in the league, but I understand people going with Brown, I just have always been a Samuel fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
honestly I admire that trait more then guys who just cover well, turnovers get you the ball back
Brown's forced six turnovers this year. :D

They're both nasty. I love Asante, too. He's so good at jumping routes. They recently asked him about his poor tackling form and effort. His response?

"They pay me for the picks".

Gotta love it.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM    (permalink
MilesAustin4MVP
Rookie

MilesAustin4MVP MilesAustin4MVP MilesAustin4MVP

I think it is pretty clear by now Mike Jenkins is the best DB.
MilesAustin4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAustin4MVP View Post
Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a feeling MilesAustin4MVP will not be liked here.

By the way, I have a feeling KP would be in the discussion for best safety in the East if he had stayed healthy.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
I have a feeling MilesAustin4MVP will not be liked here.

By the way, I have a feeling KP would be in the discussion for best safety in the East if he had stayed healthy.
He wouldn't just be in the discussion, he'd probably be #1. He's a future pro bowler IMO.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAustin4MVP View Post
Explain please. The stats don't agree with you.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Quote:
Explain please. The stats don't agree with you.
Duh, everyone knows stats only matter when it makes cowboys players look better.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Brown's forced six turnovers this year. :D

They're both nasty. I love Asante, too. He's so good at jumping routes. They recently asked him about his poor tackling form and effort. His response?

"They pay me for the picks".

Gotta love it.
Eh, I think Asante gets overrated a little because of his interceptions. He might be good at jumping routes, but to be fair, he jumps pretty much every route. He takes a lot of gambles but he's able to do so in that defense.

He's still good, but I'd certainly take a pure cover corner like Sheldon over Samuels any day of the week.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Eh, I think Asante gets overrated a little because of his interceptions. He might be good at jumping routes, but to be fair, he jumps pretty much every route. He takes a lot of gambles but he's able to do so in that defense.

He's still good, but I'd certainly take a pure cover corner like Sheldon over Samuels any day of the week.
Yes and no. To the untrained eye without the cover stats in front of me, it seems like Samuel's worked hard on his cover skills. He's not as good as Charles Woodson (then again, who is? :D ), but he's been better at covering and his tackling has also improved a bit.

But Sheldon, I mean, Jesus, wow. Just a great cover corner, and he's improved his ball skills as well.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes and no. To the untrained eye without the cover stats in front of me, it seems like Samuel's worked hard on his cover skills. He's not as good as Charles Woodson (then again, who is? :D ), but he's been better at covering and his tackling has also improved a bit.

But Sheldon, I mean, Jesus, wow. Just a great cover corner, and he's improved his ball skills as well.
Asante and Sheldon are still the best duo, but once Dallas gets Donovan Warren, you'll have to admit they won't be the best for long. ;)
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Asante and Sheldon are still the best duo, but once Dallas gets Donovan Warren, you'll have to admit they won't be the best for long. ;)
Please...no! Luckily, you guys won't draft Graham or Zoltan Mesko, so I just need to pray hard that you don't draft Warren.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My feelings on the matter are not that difficult to understand.

Ive come around on Mike Jenkins, Ive openly stated that I think he can be the best in the division as early as next year.

But the body of work is FAR too small for you to crown him the best after 14 games. Thats just not fair to the other guys.

Brown has been consistently dominant and its much harder to do it over a long period of time than just 14 games. Ask Terrance Newman. He fell off the face of the earth after being the best for quite some time.

So to crown the guy after 14 games is something Im not willing to do.

Webster's 08 season was even better than Jenkins this year. Then this year CWeb started out hot and simmered down a little (although still very good). It could easily happen to Jenkins next year. So to crown the guy after 14 games is just not right.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:14 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Ive come around on Mike Jenkins, Ive openly stated that I think he can be the best in the division as early as next year.

But the body of work is FAR too small for you to crown him the best after 14 games. Thats just not fair to the other guys.

Your right though. Just look at Antonio Cromartie, how many people wanted to jump and crown him a top 5 corner early in his career, now he gets ate alive out there. You never know how guys will react or follow up the previous season.

I still think it would of been nice to see Pacman return to his old form with Jenkins this year :( Oh well, but on the subject of Dallas corners, Scandrick who played better then Jenkins as a rookie has regressed this year even in the slot. Steve Smith ate him up both games, and he just hasn't locked guys down the same.

Not sure if he lost his confidence, but I hope he turns it around because I felt he could be a solid #2 eventually but it doesn't look like it now.

Quote:
Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:

Brown has been consistently dominant and its much harder to do it over a long period of time than just 14 games. Ask Terrance Newman. He fell off the face of the earth after being the best for quite some time.

So to crown the guy after 14 games is something Im not willing to do.

Webster's 08 season was even better than Jenkins this year. Then this year CWeb started out hot and simmered down a little (although still very good). It could easily happen to Jenkins next year. So to crown the guy after 14 games is just not right.
The poll was about best RIGHT NOW so that is how I voted. And with respect to one year wonders step up Corey Webster you are crowned. Played good last half 2007 and has not been so much since last.

Jenkins tracks the deep ball better than any CB in the league. Period. Almost all his INTs are running backwards not forwards. Neither Asante, Sheldon or Webster can makes those plays.

HOWEVER, His recognition on under neath routes is much better than last year -- which he struggled with -- but still a deficit to Asante for example.

Once Jenkins learns how to anticipate underneath versus deep routes -- forget it. He has is lightning quick, has 4.3 speed and great DB hands.

... and TNew nor Scandrick showed this type of promise. I have missed 4-5 games since Parcells got there (big fan since 75) and I have never seen a CB like this on the Cowboys (Deion couldn't tackle). He has it all and seems to be picking up the mental parts of the game which was the biggest concern last year.

Last edited by herniateddisc : 12-23-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Jenkins can tackle.

Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:00 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Mike Jenkins can tackle.

I raise you 1 :D

Quote:
Old 12-23-2009, 11:03 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was little Mike, he's come a long way now. That's why we call him Big Mike. :D Damn he's good.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 AM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

The entire defense gave up in that Giants game in Jersey last year as they realized no matter how well they played Brooks Bollinger/Brad Johnson wasn't going to score at all.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Mike Jenkins is at another level. Sorry Sheldon nor Asante are better.

They do however over play routes for lots of INTs but then of course the corollary is big plays if the QB even has a little time.