Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:48 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Orton wins games because he has a defense that is currently giving up less than 10 points per game. I watched him against Dallas and he missed most of his throws down the field and had two passes go through the hands of Dallas defenders.

Orton is a solid QB. But to say that he "just wins games" is jaded. He does win, with the benefit of having a studly defense and a run game.

Denver would be a Super Bowl contender with Cutler as their QB this year.
According to Iamcanadian you don't know sports, only the QB can win games, not defense.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:59 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Orton wins games because he has a defense that is currently giving up less than 10 points per game. I watched him against Dallas and he missed most of his throws down the field and had two passes go through the hands of Dallas defenders.

Orton is a solid QB. But to say that he "just wins games" is jaded. He does win, with the benefit of having a studly defense and a run game.

That's the whole part of the team element of this sport. Yeah, Orton does win games, but obviously he has to have some kind of support from the other 2 phases of the game. If he was in a situation where he was a good, and the other parts of the team stunk, he would be Archie Manning. That is why this is the best sport out there in my opinion. You can be good, but you truly do need your teammates if you want to win as a team.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

That's a great point. I think anyone who actually watches Orton play, will come away feeling the same thing.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
That's a great point. I think anyone who actually watches Orton play, will come away feeling the same thing.
My point was never that Orton was a better than average QB, it was that he, despite being a mediocre starter, has a great record and winning percentage. So doing I was hoping to illustrate how important the other parts of a team can be to end result. Hoping that might make you realize that Drew Brees doesn't lose games but the New Orleans saints do, and the New Orleans saints have had a terrible defense for as long as he has been there.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:52 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
My point was never that Orton was a better than average QB, it was that he, despite being a mediocre starter, has a great record and winning percentage. So doing I was hoping to illustrate how important the other parts of a team can be to end result. Hoping that might make you realize that Drew Brees doesn't lose games but the New Orleans saints do, and the New Orleans saints have had a terrible defense for as long as he has been there.
But it doesn't make him a great QB. Just as Drew Brees' record shouldn't take away from his ability as a QB. If he had a defense in New Orleans (he might have one this year) the Saints would be beastly.

Manning couldn't do it without a defense. Brady couldn't do it without a defense. Any QB who wins has to have help on the other side of the ball (and special teams as well).

This is the reason why saying Jay Cutler isn't a good QB because of his winning percentage is a **** argument. As is Kyle Orton's a very good QB because all he does is win games. You have to look at the situation around the QB before you pass judgment.

The Bears would be looking at 1-3 or possibly 0-4 without Cutler. Orton would be 1-3 or 0-4 without lady luck (the immaculate deflection) and the currently the best defense in the game.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Plummer had a record of 41-22 including postseason with Denver, that alone should be testament to just how far a good team can take a less than perfect QB.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:20 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I hate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:24 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Plummer had a record of 41-22 including postseason with Denver, that alone should be testament to just how far a good team can take a less than perfect QB.
The 2006 Broncos are a great example of that. Plummer started off 7-2 that year. And the defense was absolutely marvelous. Even at that point though, he was playing so badly that people were calling for Cutler. After the 7-2 start, the defense fell off the face of the earth. Cutler was subbed in 2 games later and the offense vastly improved, but the defense never got back. The Broncos, with a rookie Jay Cutler scored 7 points more per game than with Jake Plummer. But the defense was allowing something ridiculous(I forget the total numbers, i think 14 or thereabouts) more in the last 7 games than in the first 9. Also keep in mind, some people like to suggest Cutler sparked the poor finish, but the defense's troubles started a full two games before he even played.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-10-2009, 09:53 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Exactly my point, teams win because of good team play. QB's are a huge part of it, they're the water of the human body, but they're not the only contributing factor to victories or success and shouldn't be judged on their ability solely on their teams success.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:34 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
What's even being debated anymore? I feel like there are six different conversations going on.
D-Unit was saying how Drew Brees is overrated and not a top 3 QB. Then it moved to Orton and how he's better than mediocre.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Its not people who "know sports" who bring out this argument, it's people who don't understand how a team works.

As I have pointed out time and time again there is little difference between what Brady, Manning, Brees, Warner or whomever else are capable of achieving in their own ability, it's the ability of those around them that will ultimately decide the fate of their team.

If you "know sports" so brilliantly, then please, try and point out, what Brees has done specifically, to prevent his team from making the playoffs and or winning a superbowl. What exactly makes Brees "not a winner". Stats are for losers, then fine. Don't use any in your argument.
I have been picking New Orleans to make the playoffs for a couple of years now so I like Brees but the QB is the team leader and when the going gets tough they have to produce if they are a playoff caliber QB. So far Brees has failed to lead New Orleans anywhere, maybe this year will be different but it is too early to tell.
Peyton hardly plays for a talented team. His LT is average at best and his defense is sub par but somehow he gets the job done and Indy is in the playoffs every year. The great QB's may not always have the talent to win the SB, but they are practically in the playoffs every year barring injuries. Look at Palmer, this is the 1st time in 3 years that he has been healthy and suddenly the sad sack Cincy is making a playoff run. Where are Brees's playoff runs??? His teams have usually been non winners and that just doesn't happen to great QB's every year.
IMO, until Brees can consistently make a strong playoff run every year, I won't include him on my list of franchise QB's because by my definition a franchise QB = making the playoff on a consistent basis. That is why Brady, Peyton and a few others make my current list of franchise QB's and Brees remain on the outside. Sorry if it upsets you. If it makes you feel better I'm not a fan of Marino either. Stats aren't my measure of a great QB.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:20 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Teel> Kyle Orton
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:18 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I have been picking New Orleans to make the playoffs for a couple of years now so I like Brees but the QB is the team leader and when the going gets tough they have to produce if they are a playoff caliber QB. So far Brees has failed to lead New Orleans anywhere, maybe this year will be different but it is too early to tell.
He lead them to an NFC title game and divisional crown not all that long ago.

Quote:
Peyton hardly plays for a talented team. His LT is average at best and his defense is sub par but somehow he gets the job done and Indy is in the playoffs every year. The great QB's may not always have the talent to win the SB, but they are practically in the playoffs every year barring injuries. Look at Palmer, this is the 1st time in 3 years that he has been healthy and suddenly the sad sack Cincy is making a playoff run. Where are Brees's playoff runs??? His teams have usually been non winners and that just doesn't happen to great QB's every year.
You do realise indianapolis hasn't had a bad defense for nearly 5 seasons now.

This year 13th over all New Orleans 9th
2008 11th new Orleans 23rd
2007 3rd new orleans 26th
2006 11th (SB victory) New Orleans 14th (NFC CG)

Every year Peyton has had a defense in the top half of the league he's made the playoffs, the year where his defense was the most talented, though not statistically, they won a superbowl.

Notice the other correlation, New Orleans is bad for two seasons, look where the defense ranks, it picks it up for 2 years and they go to one game shy of the superbowl and race to an early division lead.

There is a direct, quantifiable relationship between the defensive performance of a Drew Brees lead saints team and how far that team goes. Unless you want to refute clear, undeniable, patterns with more crap like "i know footballsz"

Quote:
IMO, until Brees can consistently make a strong playoff run every year, I won't include him on my list of franchise QB's because by my definition a franchise QB = making the playoff on a consistent basis. That is why Brady, Peyton and a few others make my current list of franchise QB's and Brees remain on the outside. Sorry if it upsets you. If it makes you feel better I'm not a fan of Marino either. Stats aren't my measure of a great QB.
I don't care about marino, he's not from my era of following football.

You want to crap on about Brady, well lets put it to my stats are for losers argument:

09 7th overall
08 10th overall (no brady, no playoffs, but still a winning record)
07 4th overall SB appearance
06 6th overall
05 26th overall early exit from the playoffs
04 9th overall SB win
03 7th overall SB win

There's a direct correlation between how successful quarterbacks are in a team setting with how good their defense is.

Stat's are for losers lol!

Apparently they show your argument has no bearing.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He lead them to an NFC title game and divisional crown not all that long ago.

You do realise Indianapolis hasn't had a bad defense for nearly 5 seasons now.

This year 13th over all New Orleans 9th
2008 11th New Orleans 23rd
2007 3rd New Orleans 26th
2006 11th (SB victory) New Orleans 14th (NFC CG)
Drew Brees while in San Diego.

2002 (w/ SD) - 24th rated defense (32nd in passing/11th rushing)
2003 (w/ SD) - 27st rated defense (21st in passing/25th in rushing)
2004 (w/ SD) - 18th rated defense (31st in passing/3rd in rushing)
2005 (w/ SD) - 13th rated defense (28th in passing/1st in rushing)

Weapons Brees had on offense while with San Diego:

WR David Boston (2003)
WR Kennan McCardell (2004-2005)
WR Tim Dwight (2001-2004)
WR Curtis Conway (2002)
WR Kassim Osgood (2003-2005)
WR Eric Parker (2003-2005)
WR Reche Caldwell (2002-2005)
RB LDT
TE Stephen Alexander (2002)
TE Antonio Gates (2003 - rookie year)

2003 - Doug Flutie started six games for the Chargers during the middle of the season and went 2-4. Statistically 2003 was the worst year for Brees and a terrible year for the Chargers in general.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude

Last edited by diabsoule : 10-11-2009 at 02:08 AM.
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:30 AM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like french fries. I think Wendys has the best french fries. I think McDonalds fries are a bit overrated.

Sorry, in this thread the comment fits. :-P

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

If you look at the stats, Brees certainly, at the very least, has an argument for the top QB in the NFL. But even his fans won't place him higher than 3rd(unless they're talking "the way Tom Brady is playing" rather than the way we know Tom Brady can play). I fail to see how that makes him overrated. Also with the "his team hasn't done anything" argument doesn't work when you use examples like Peyton Manning, because everyone knows Peyton Manning is better than Drew Brees, and is one of the best QBs to ever play the game(could retire as the absolute best). If people were saying Brees is way better than Peyton, then yeah, use that argument all you want. But I haven't seen any QBs who aren't regarded as better than Drew Brees get their team anywhere without a solid D and running game(both of which he appears to have this year, which makes the Saints a true contender).

Quote:
Quote: