Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 03-20-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
snuff

I still believe the SEC is the most overrated conference, but I am actually going to stay out of that argument, because you people aren't worth arguing with over this again.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Titans10
Veteran

Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Titans10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
Vandy had 171 total yards of offense and the trick play (which is still a part of football stats) was only 30 yards, so you got your 1 and 4 mixed up because it would be 141 yards minus trick play. It was 9 first downs and since trick plays do count it was 3.3 yards per play. Oh and didn't a Chris Nickson fumble in Vandy territory allow the Wolverines the chance to put a TD with 2 minutes left in the game. So until very late, it was only 20-7. Not quite a killing.

I'm not saying Vanderbilt is better than Michigan, but they did have a brand new QB starting his first game at Michigan and they kept that game close especially only being down 13-7 at half and 20-7 with a little over two minutes left in the game.
He is right Michigan did not kill Vandy, Michigan struggled to put them away. Tennessee killed Vandy this past offseason and that was there only bad loss.

1. SEC

2. Big 10
3. Big 12
4. Pac 10

All-hail Bulluck
Titans10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Here is my list

SEC-They show it year in and year out. They never have one dominate team because they have so many teams at a high level each year. All we kept hearing was how tOSU was the best team, fastest, strongest, etc. They never played a team in the SEC, until UF that is.

Big 10- tOSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Illinois is on their way up, Wisconsin has always been a consistent 9 win team, Iowa is alright. Most others in this conference I would rank along with Vanderbilt...

Big 12
-With the likes of Texas and OU they have to be considered here. Iowa State is on the rise and Nebraska should be making their way back to the top.

Pac-10- They pretty much have USC, eh. P{ersonally I think they are overrated and would struggle with the likes of teams like LSU, UF, Michigan, even Wisconsin (when Stocco was there). California is a very solid team, as is UCLA,

ACC- Has really declined in recent years with Miami taking a few steps backwards, along with Florida State,. V-Tech is back on their way to the top Georgia Tech should mellow out after losing CJ.

Big East-Rutgers is at the top of their game and should continue to grow, Louisville might take a step backwards after losing Petrino, and WVU are contendors every year.

These are my 6 I will not do any other conferences because these are the best IMO.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default w

1 sec
2 pac 10
3 big 10
4 big 12
5 big east
6 acc

beyond the SEC, they conferences arent that far apart from one another

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:52 PM    (permalink
mil_brew_fan
Rookie

mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.

With as much as people think the SEC is so great, the Badgers have taken down to SEC teams the past two years in bowl games: Auburn and Arkansas. This year the Badgers got no love with Michigan and Ohio State, but they're the only ones in the conference that took care of business in their bowl game.
mil_brew_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Bengals1690
Veteran

Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Bengals1690 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil_brew_fan View Post
With as much as people think the SEC is so great, the Badgers have taken down to SEC teams the past two years in bowl games: Auburn and Arkansas. This year the Badgers got no love with Michigan and Ohio State, but they're the only ones in the conference that took care of business in their bowl game.
but behind wisconsin, michigan, and ohio state, no teams will scare their opponents. The SEC has Arkansas, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy, even Georgia. I have a feeling im leaving someone out, but you get the point. the SEC is an extremely deep conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythbusta View Post
i love my pedestal. thats why im the mythbusta.
who dey?
Bengals1690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals1690 View Post
but behind wisconsin, michigan, and ohio state, no teams will scare their opponents. The SEC has Arkansas, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Vandy, even Georgia. I have a feeling im leaving someone out, but you get the point. the SEC is an extremely deep conference
To tell you the truth when i hear SEC football and good teams I usually don't talk about Vandy.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:44 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And Vandy got stomped worse by Michigan last year than they did against most of their SEC foes.
Because inner conference play is always closer than outter conference play. When rivalries get involved, the games are always tighter.

As how I'd rank the Top 5 conferences...

1. SEC - National champion Florida. 6 ranked teams at the end of the season. 9 Bowl eligible teams(only 12 teams total in the conference; Went 6-3 in bowl games).

2. Pac 10 - 3 ranked teams. 6 Bowl eligible teams(3-3 in bowl games).

3. Big 10 - 4 ranked teams(3 of which are in Top 10). 7 Bowl eligible teams(2-5 in bowl games).

4. ACC - 3 ranked teams. 8 Bowl eligible teams(4-4 in bowl games).

5. Big 12 - 2 ranked teams. 8 Bowl eligible teams(3-5 in bowl games).

Main thing that stands out is that the Big 10 went 2-5 in their outter conference bowl games. Overrated? I'd say so.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.

Last edited by TitanHope : 03-22-2007 at 01:48 PM.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:19 PM    (permalink
sodar21
Veteran

sodar21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

lol Big Ten 3-1 vs the SEC.
sodar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:43 PM    (permalink
RWFender1
Veteran

RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1 RWFender1

[quote=Acreboy;233089]Here is my list

Pac-10- They pretty much have USC, eh. P{ersonally I think they are overrated and would struggle with the likes of teams like LSU, UF, Michigan, even Wisconsin (when Stocco was there). California is a very solid team, as is UCLA,

USC would struggle against Michigan? if i recall they thrashed them in the rose bowl but apparently you missed that game

gamertag: uscfan06

RWFender1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuff View Post
I still believe the SEC is the most overrated conference, but I am actually going to stay out of that argument, because you people aren't worth arguing with over this again.
Agreed this is two months ago all over again. BTW bowl games are a horrible evaluation of how a team does for 12 weeks.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:54 PM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys hating on the ACC have to be kidding me. You are aware that last year the ACC had close to half of the 1st round selections. Mario Williams, Vernon Davis, D'Brickshaw Ferguson, Broderick Buntley, Antonio Cromartie, Ernie Sims, John McCargo, Mathias Kiwianuka, Manny Lawson, Tye Hill, Kameron Wimbley and Kelly Jennings. They are going to have at least two top ten selections in this years draft and probably have the best defensive prospect in the draft (Gaines Adams) and the best overall prospect in the draft (Calvin Johnson).

It's not like these guys are busts either. Phillip Rivers, Shawn Meriman, Julius Peppers, Torry Holt and that's not even including the huge list of Miami and FSU players. Then you have the numerous "steals" - Frank Gore in the 3rd, Jerricho Cotchery in the 4th, Leon Washington in the 4th.

The ACC has been a little shaky because the QB situations at a lot of the schools have been up and down the last few years. But don't expect it to stay that way. The ACC has talent that is just as good if not better than every single conference.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Rutgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
Because inner conference play is always closer than outter conference play. When rivalries get involved, the games are always tighter.

As how I'd rank the Top 5 conferences...

1. SEC - National champion Florida. 6 ranked teams at the end of the season. 9 Bowl eligible teams(only 12 teams total in the conference; Went 6-3 in bowl games).

2. Pac 10 - 3 ranked teams. 6 Bowl eligible teams(3-3 in bowl games).

3. Big 10 - 4 ranked teams(3 of which are in Top 10). 7 Bowl eligible teams(2-5 in bowl games).

4. ACC - 3 ranked teams. 8 Bowl eligible teams(4-4 in bowl games).

5. Big 12 - 2 ranked teams. 8 Bowl eligible teams(3-5 in bowl games).

Main thing that stands out is that the Big 10 went 2-5 in their outter conference bowl games. Overrated? I'd say so.
What criteria are you using to rank the conferences? How many teams are ranked and their bowls?Well the BE has 3 teams ranked in the top 12 and went 5-0 in the bowl games and won the bowl challenge unless your being extremley bias then w/e.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:04 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SEC definately, the gators crushed the buckeyes, the tigers beat the irish, and the Pac-Ten might be equal or better but I doubt it, there is less competition, in the SEC you really don't know who will win

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:12 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Every year,people argue for the SEC, mostly arbitrarily. I'll let you in on a little secret, we like to talk big, but we're usually not quite as good as we believe.

Last year was a really weird year in the SEC, too. Kentucky won a bowl game, Vandy showed they could step up and stun better teams, and so on.

This year, I think, the SEC is going to be hell. This is the best I've seen the conference in a while. Florida, LSU, Tennesee and Georgia all look like they could be Top 10 teams, Arkansas an Auburn look like borderline great teams, Kentucky and South Carolina are only getting better, Vanderbilt looks ready for a bowl game, and Mississippi is improving every day.

I think the conference thats going to surprise people this year is the Pac-10. USC is probably the best team in the country, but its far from being only them. UCLA looks ready to win the conference, Oregon State has potential, as does Arizona and Arizona State.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 11:23 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Ill say the Big Ten.WInsconsin is very underated.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:27 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is how the BCS computers ranked the conferences in 2006:

Jeff Sagarin

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm

1) SEC
2) Big East
3) PAC-10
4) ACC
5) Big 10
6) Big 12

Anderson & Hester

http://andersonsports.com/football/ACF_frnk.html

1) PAC-10
2) SEC
3) Big East
4) Big 10
5) ACC
6) Big 12

Richard Billingsley

http://www.cfrc.com/Ratings_2006/CC_WK_17.htm

1) SEC
2) Big East
3) Big 10
4) PAC-10
5) Big 12
6) ACC

Colley Matrix

http://www.colleyrankings.com/curconf.html

1) Big East
2) SEC
3) Big 10
4) PAC-10
5) Big 12
6) ACC

Kenneth Massey

http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf#conf

1) SEC
2) PAC-10
3) Big East
4) Big 10
5) ACC
6) Big 12

Peter Wolfe

http://prwolfe.bol.ucla.edu/cfootbal...htm#Conference

1) SEC
2) Big East
3) PAC-10
4) Big 10
5) ACC
6) Big 12

Winning pct vs. BCS conferences

1) Big East .667 (14-7)
2) PAC-10 .643 (9-5)
3) SEC .591 (13-9)
4) Big 10 .471 (8-9)
5) Big 12 .333 (6-12)
6) ACC .300 (6-14)

Average

1) SEC
2) Big East
3) PAC-10
4) Big 10
5) ACC
6) Big 12
Old 03-27-2007, 02:41 AM    (permalink
pirateboy

no the acc is not a contender anymore. what happened to miami? what happened to FSU? what kind of world is it when clemson is the best acc team? i dont any conference going toe to toe with the SEC. granted the top team of almost any conference could take kentucky or vandy. but every conference has the teams that everyone else just marks off as a win on the schedule before the game is played. SEC proved its superiority when florida shocked ohio state. the only team that was able to beat florida was... another SEC team, auburn. i really couldnt pick a clear cut number two since the sudden decline of the acc. i thought that was their reasoning behind bringing in some more "football" teams to counter act the heavy lean in the conference toward basketball. as if they dominate there anymore either. once again we see florida and ohio state dominating there too. and as far as all around conference, the best conference in all the major sports. once again my vote goes to the SEC.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:55 AM    (permalink
pirateboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
its kinda easy to say second best is big ten and no way is it possible for vandy or kentucky to beat a top big ten team. Michigan killed vandy if you dont remember.
and how often does vandy play a "powerhouse" team outside of the SEC. its more a question of being prepared to play michigan than michigan just killing a lesser talented team
Old 03-27-2007, 03:13 AM    (permalink
pirateboy

as of right now none of this speculation about if this team did this and if these teams start coming back up. right now the way things are. considering from top to bottom of all conference including the vandy and kentuckies of every conference id rate them this way

1. SEC
2. Big 10
3. Big East
4. Pac 10 (here is where i have trouble between 4 and 5 i could have gone either way with these two)
5. Big 12
6. ACC (they still arent bad enough to slide down any farther than that)
Old 03-27-2007, 03:14 AM    (permalink
pirateboy

7. SAC (DIV II)

just a joke
Old 03-27-2007, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Green Bay Scat
Pro Bowler

Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.

All i gotta say is Go San Jose State, Spartans baby lol
Green Bay Scat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodar21 View Post
If you're talking about just plain talent then its the SEC barely ahead of the Big Ten followed by the ACC, Pac 10, Big 12 and Big East (in that order).

And Vandy got stomped worse by Michigan last year than they did against most of their SEC foes.
Yeah UM beat us by three TD's with Nickson making his first start.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodar21 View Post
The most important game was won by an SEC team.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:30 AM    (permalink
constant cough
Rookie

constant cough hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
3-2 Notre Dame is basically a Big 11 team.
constant cough is offline   Reply With Quote