Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Trade Deadline Talk

Since trade talk is normally crazy talk....

Here are my crazy suggestions to go after based off the rumors of who's available.

1. Shawne Merriman - Problems about SD being able to resign him have them thinking trade high. SD's GM Smith has soured on him big time. Let's use Wade one last time to bring in a former player. We have plenty of young OLBs to send their way, starting with Anthony Spencer. We could also send Carpenter as a throw in. I'm really down for almost any deal to bring Merriman opposite of Ware. Talk about dreamy.

2. Nnamdi Asomugha - According to Jay Glazer, the Raiders are looking to trade Nnandi.. Wanting a CB and a high draft pick. Terence Newman and a 2nd rounder??? I'm down.

3. Derrick Johnson - I always wanted him in Dallas. I doubt it would cost much.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors

"Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson is apparently on the trading block, according to the National Football Post. The 2005 first-round pick hasn't been playing very much this season.

He's getting toward the end of a five-year deal that pays him $10.4 million."
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:41 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So its true all the players on the raiders team are game, I guess they are starting from scratch.

Maybe Al Davis realizes he is crazy and end of this season he hires a real GM and coach.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Since trade talk is normally crazy talk....

Here are my crazy suggestions to go after based off the rumors of who's available.

1. Shawne Merriman - Problems about SD being able to resign him have them thinking trade high. SD's GM Smith has soured on him big time. Let's use Wade one last time to bring in a former player. We have plenty of young OLBs to send their way, starting with Anthony Spencer. We could also send Carpenter as a throw in. I'm really down for almost any deal to bring Merriman opposite of Ware. Talk about dreamy.
I would be all over this. I know he's not playing like he did a few years ago, but he's a major upgrade over Spencer and I think he may be one of these guys that might be energized by a change of scenery.

Quote:
2. Nnamdi Asomugha - According to Jay Glazer, the Raiders are looking to trade Nnandi.. Wanting a CB and a high draft pick. Terence Newman and a 2nd rounder??? I'm down.
I would love getting Nnamdi. He is a stud, but isn't Newman's contract close to the same?

How about trading Jenkins and a 4th rounder? That would be more financially attractive for Oak.

Quote:
3. Derrick Johnson - I always wanted him in Dallas. I doubt it would cost much.
I like him. He's still young. What are his pass rush skills? We need help in 2 areas: Pass rush and coverage. That's why I like the other two above scenarios better.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:36 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love to have DJ, just because he's a product of Texas. Bring em all back. We can trade for Michael Huff too ;)

As far as Asomugha and Merriman go, i'd love to have them, but obviously it would depend on what we'd be giving up. I'd do Newman and a 2nd or 3rd for Aso, i wouldn't package a deal with Jenkins though. He's looking like he's gonna be a stud in a few years, plus we need to stay young, not keep the old, oft injured guy.

As far as Merriman, i'd rather we just wait till he's a FA. Chargers probably won't match any offers made to him. But they'd have to negotiate compensation cause a first and a third seems like a steep price to pay for a guy who isn't the pro-bowl LB he used to be.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:00 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No to 1 and 3. Possibly to 2, but I think we'd have to give up too much.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes. The all hinges, of course, on what you have to give up. I'd like to have a couple of these guys, but I don't want to give up any more 1st round picks.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 10-15-2009, 12:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Merriman is the perfect buy low candidate, but the Chargers are probably not dumb enough to sell low. What would it take? Well for starters, I'd gladly send them Anthony Spencer to start off with. How bout we throw in Marcus Spears or Bobby Carpenter and a 5th or 6th rounder?

This is a chance for Jerry to go out and make something brilliant happen. I hope he doesn't miss out on this chance.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think Merriman is the perfect buy low candidate, but the Chargers are probably not dumb enough to sell low. What would it take? Well for starters, I'd gladly send them Anthony Spencer to start off with. How bout we throw in Marcus Spears or Bobby Carpenter and a 5th or 6th rounder?

This is a chance for Jerry to go out and make something brilliant happen. I hope he doesn't miss out on this chance.
I wonder if Spencer, Carp and a 3rd would get it done?

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Spencer playing that badly and/or that ineffective a pass rusher, that he's not better than a gimped Merriman?
Old 10-15-2009, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

I wouldn't say he's been bad. Right now he's JAG. At least we know Merriman has the potential to get after the QB, espcially when he gets healthy.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 10-15-2009, 01:38 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Is Spencer playing that badly and/or that ineffective a pass rusher, that he's not better than a gimped Merriman?
Personally I think he's been playing well, but as a pass rusher he hasn't done much. He's better in coverage than I thought, and he's really good at stopping the run. If sacks weren't an overrated stat he wouldn't be looked at as a bust, but he hasn't gotten any QB pressures to help his case. He lacks something there, and it's disappointing. I wouldn't want to trade him, but for Merriman I'd put his ass on a plane to San Diego faster than Usain Bolt running from a *** bar. Merriman may be gimped, but with Ware we're talking a top 3 defense here. Two great pass rushers like that would put Dallas in a Super Bowl run.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm always optimistic so be careful with my words but I think he's getting better. Just like Ware he had some games where he was just half a step late, but I think he's getting closer to a big game. Brooking said a few days ago that Spencer is "right around the corner from being a game-changing player" so I hope he's right.
The one who's playing, as usually, so badly is Carpenter.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:14 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
I'm always optimistic so be careful with my words but I think he's getting better. Just like Ware he had some games where he was just half a step late, but I think he's getting closer to a big game. Brooking said a few days ago that Spencer is "right around the corner from being a game-changing player" so I hope he's right.
You have guys like Hamlin, Flo and Romo costing us games but Carpenter gets the lash!!!!

Forrest, Trees.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would rather see us try and trade for a guy like Huff if Oakland is giving anyone away. Asomugha would be nice, but necessary? I think right now safety is a more pressing need.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:51 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Safety is a more pressing need, but are we sure that Huff is the guy to change things? I know he had a lot of hype from college, but he hasn't been all that stellar in the pros unless he's turned it on this year. I wouldn't mind having a guy with his talent, but I wouldn't put much stock in him changing things.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Safety is a more pressing need, but are we sure that Huff is the guy to change things? I know he had a lot of hype from college, but he hasn't been all that stellar in the pros unless he's turned it on this year. I wouldn't mind having a guy with his talent, but I wouldn't put much stock in him changing things.
Not sure at all, just talking priorities really. Huff was used as an example in comparison to Asomugha b/c they're both Raiders. I think there is definitely an effect a franchise can have on a player in clouding their talent. Jeff Garcia looked terrible in Detroit and Cleveland. KW2 and Braylon Edwards both weren't looking great for large stretches of their time in Cleveland. Leonard Davis was misused and unmotivated in Arizona. I think any time you're evaluating talent of a guy who plays for a dysfunctional franchise, you have to wonder what they could do in a better situation. That said, I'll again repeat that I don't necessarily think Huff is our answer. I don't know what the answer is, but I'm warming up to USF's Nate Allen. Obviously I'd be thrilled with Berry or Mays (and I do think we'll have a shot at one of them without trading up majorly). But Nate Allen would be a consolation prize I'd be excited about.

In general, my preference would be to draft and develop our own talent. I think Hamlin at SS would be ideal for him, and finding a true center fielding safety with solid instincts. I think that is what made Woodson successful for us. He wasn't necessarily the fastest Ed Reed-type safety, but he was smart, and I think it was the Tuna who once said that smart players play fast.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Right now we are missing Greg Ellis. ...and it hurts to say that considering how much bashing I gave him throughout his time here.

Never cared for Spencer, but allowed myself to get convinced by his senior numbers, scout reports and the guys here that he might be better than I thought.

So now, I'm back at square one unless he turns things around this season.

If I could get Merriman, there's no mistake he'd be an upgrade in my eyes. None at all. Merriman is better than what people are seeing of him so far this season. But I understand how you can think he's already washed up. More and more people are leaning that way. Just not me...yet.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
Good to hear those words from Brooking. Thanks for mentioning that. Now... we have to see it, but that's positive leadership by Brooking (once again).
Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
I would rather see us try and trade for a guy like Huff if Oakland is giving anyone away. Asomugha would be nice, but necessary? I think right now safety is a more pressing need.
I dunno. It's becoming more and more clear to me that Newman is on the decline and his value is diminshing as we speak. I'd be happy to unload him and his contract in exchange for a better player at a similar price. Whatever we have to give Al to be happy... a pick or lesser player... then I'm down for it. Newman's value will be zero sooner rather than later.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:43 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
You have guys like Hamlin, Flo and Romo costing us games but Carpenter gets the lash!!!!

Forrest, Trees.
Carpenter is USELESS. Romo is still a good QB and he can still win some games, while Flozell...well Flozell is Flozell, but we don't have better options... yes his penalties are huge (and they have always been huge) but he also shuts down some good DEs, like Peppers against the Panthers.
But Carpenter is just plain useless, he can't do anything on a football field.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:28 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post

Forrest, Trees.
Got to agree with HD here. No replacements for Romo or Flozell, Carpenter is useless fluff we throw in like a cherry on top to seal a deal.

I think we pass on Merriman b/c he may well not be back to 100% from the knee injury. Asomugha is too expensive, but Derrick Johnson is affordable, is Spencer & Carpenter for Johnson doable?
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Got to agree with HD here. No replacements for Romo or Flozell, Carpenter is useless fluff we throw in like a cherry on top to seal a deal.

I think we pass on Merriman b/c he may well not be back to 100% from the knee injury. Asomugha is too expensive, but Derrick Johnson is affordable, is Spencer & Carpenter for Johnson doable?
Hasn't Johnson been benched in KC? If so, that's too much for a player who may be cut soon. Maybe Johnson could be had for a low draft choice.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
. But I understand how you can think he's already washed up. More and more people are leaning that way. Just not me...yet.
You know, he's only 25! I think when he gets fully healthy, he's going get back to rushing the passer.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 10-16-2009, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not ready to say Merriman is washed up, but he sure doesn't look his normal self. Not at all, he's missing a lot of the explosion, speed, and power he used to have.

AJ Smith and the Chargers wanted him to get the knee surgery after the 2007 postseason, but he refused and failed miserably at the start of the 2008 season trying to play with it. He not only screwed himself but he screwed his team for 2008, and now 2009 as well. Don't forget how much of a dip**** this guy still is and always will be.

I'd ask if the Cowboys have a young undersized linebacker they can put in to pass rush, but if I vaguely recall they are probably on IR. Still, I'd save the draft pick and look elsewhere ... probably take a flier on former Colts DE Marcus Howard (6-0/235), the kid is a speed demon.

Btw how's fellow former Colts DE Curtis Johnson working out for you guys? He's got pass rushing potential too.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Merriman sounds like the perfect player the cowboys would go after, you know the ones who are hurt or playing badly but have a good name so even though Jerry isn't sure if that player can play he still sends 4 draft picks to them and then resigns that player to a blockbuster deal!
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote