Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:57 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just wait until the weather gets cold. YPC will go up, as will the # of touches.

The true reason is a combination of multiple things, but I also think that once the weather makes it more difficult to throw (which is already starting to happen in the Northeast and Midwest), teams will concentrate on running more and be more patient with the run game.

Mark Sanchez got his first taste of the swirling winds at Giants stadium and it didn't treat him very well. I expect them to run the ball a lot more than they already have.

I expect other teams in similar situations to do the same.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All I know is that Chris Johnson has almost is like 4 yards shy of 600 yards rushing and 120 rec yards and has an average attempt of 6.3 yards per carry. All of this is great but we are still 0-6. Anybody want Chris?

j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughBoy View Post
All I know is that Chris Johnson has almost is like 4 yards shy of 600 yards rushing and 120 rec yards and has an average attempt of 6.3 yards per carry. All of this is great but we are still 0-6. Anybody want Chris?

j/k
just imagine what he'd do with an actual offense around him.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:33 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seeing this list makes me feel better about Maurice Drew's "down" 4.3 ypc average.
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S T R I N G View Post
Huh? You're comparing the wrong years. I'm talking about 2008. They had basically identical seasons in terms of RUSHING.

Grant - 1203 yards on 312 attempts (3.9 average)
Forte - 1238 yards on 316 attempts (3.9 average)

Now this season:

Grant - 347 yards, 91 attempts (3.8 average)
Forte - 294 yards, 86 attempts (3.4 average)

So how exactly are they so different in terms of running the football, statistic-wise? They are both subpar backs in the NFL and haven't produced the past two seasons.
Well you said "Ryan Grant after his first season" - 2008 wasn't Grant's first season :P
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM    (permalink
S T R I N G
Rookie

S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
Well you said "Ryan Grant after his first season" - 2008 wasn't Grant's first season :P
Huh? After his first season would be 2008. He played exceptionally well in 2007, his first season. Afterwards, he's been subpar. During the same time that Grant has been subpar, Forte has been subpar.

Anyway, confusing but I think you get my point now. :P
S T R I N G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Huh? After his first season would be 2008. He played exceptionally well in 2007, his first season. Afterwards, he's been subpar. During the same time that Grant has been subpar, Forte has been subpar.

Anyway, confusing but I think you get my point now. :P
Yes, I get what you are you saying now. Just to clarify though, there is two different ways to read what you said, and since I can't read tone through text I guess I chose to read it one way, albeit arbitrarily.

I'd like to add though, that I don't think Forte was sub par (That's 2 words by the way, not correcting you to be a jerk, just pointing out for future use) his rookie year. Considering the lack of talent around him, I think 1,200+ yards rushing and 400+ yards receiving is pretty decent for a rookie.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
just imagine what he'd do with an actual offense around him.
The only thing our offense does not have is a QB and a good gameplan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not a fan of Carrie Collins? What about your franchise QB in Young?
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
yeah, thats pretty much what I mean. I still think Kerry is good enough at qb, you just need more creativity on offense.

You have a solid set of TEs, a good up and coming WR in Britt, one of the best olines in the league, and a duel threat in CJ.

I just feel the offense can be used in a lot more ways, but its not.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, I get what you are you saying now. Just to clarify though, there is two different ways to read what you said, and since I can't read tone through text I guess I chose to read it one way, albeit arbitrarily.

I'd like to add though, that I don't think Forte was sub par (That's 2 words by the way, not correcting you to be a jerk, just pointing out for future use) his rookie year. Considering the lack of talent around him, I think 1,200+ yards rushing and 400+ yards receiving is pretty decent for a rookie.
I thought the exact same thing as you rocket...

Forte's starting year was on par with... well. the other 3 running backs last year in johnson and slaton. on a poor offensive team... without that good of a passing threat...

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
yeah, thats pretty much what I mean. I still think Kerry is good enough at qb, you just need more creativity on offense.

You have a solid set of TEs, a good up and coming WR in Britt, one of the best olines in the league, and a duel threat in CJ.

I just feel the offense can be used in a lot more ways, but its not.
Carrie is horrible! I hated him soo much when he was our QB. Mind you, he did have his moments, but I couldn't wait until he left. They need to develop Young faster. Both Matt L and Young are on the bench behind their respective veteran QBs.
S T R I N G
Rookie

S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.S T R I N G is a cocksman.

Quote:

Actually, subpar can be one word.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/subpar

Forte was simply not efficient at getting those yards. Grant was the same way. Big yardage numbers but it took them both a ton of carries to get them.

Last edited by S T R I N G : 10-20-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

I saw Fisher on NFL network when they were undefeated last year, and Rich Eisen asked the question "So what do you with Vince Young now?" or something like that, and Fisher responded with something along the lines of, "What if Vince and Collins were on the field? How would a defense handle that?".

Anyways, I thought it was an interesting idea. It doesn't necessarily have to be "wildcat", which seems to have a negative connotation on it now, but maybe just some ordinary formations that feature Vince in unusual spots to throw the defense off.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Actually, subpar is one word.

Forte was simply not efficient at getting those yards. Grant was the same way. Big yardage numbers but it took them both a ton of carries to get them.
3.4 ypc = 10 yards per 3 down.

I'll take that...

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Actually, subpar is one word.
Doh. Touche salesman.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
S T R I N G
Rookie

Quote:
Doh. Touche salesman.
It can be both ways. :P

subpar or sub par

One of those things...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
Carrie is horrible! I hated him soo much when he was our QB. Mind you, he did have his moments, but I couldn't wait until he left. They need to develop Young faster. Both Matt L and Young are on the bench behind their respective veteran QBs.
I didn't think he was THAT bad. I liked him as a bus driver.

he can't win you games, but he can ride that bus. good stopgap qb.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
wordofi
Veteran

wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi wordofi

Quote:
What is going on with running games in the NFL this season? It seems like there are very few teams who are getting it done on the ground.

There have been a ton of guys who can't get their YPC over 4. Who do you guys think are some of the biggest disappointments?

Brandon Jacobs - 3.6
Knowshon Moreno - 3.8
Michael Turner - 3.5
Kevin Smith - 3.2
Ryan Grant - 3.8
Larry Johnson - 2.7
Matt Forte - 3.4
Julius Jones - 3.9
Steve Slaton - 3.0
Jamal Lewis - 3.5
Jerome Harrison - 3.7
Joseph Addai - 3.4
Willie Parker - 3.1
Glen Coffee - 2.6

And the list goes on...

Some guys that stand out to me are Forte, Turner, and Jacobs. These guys were supposed to tear it up this year but they've been downright awful.
I thought the running games of many teams were down this year. It's probably because defenses are getting faster with time.
wordofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This happens every year. The running game becomes the focal point as the weather gets colder and the defenses become hobbled with injuries.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:20 PM    (permalink
S T R I N G
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
3.4 ypc = 10 yards per 3 down.

I'll take that...
Is this sarcasm?

If not...try watching some football one day. ;)
Old 10-20-2009, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing with jacobs is not only that teams loaded up on the run to test our passing game, but that Jacobs also seems to be running more carefully, as though he's trying to save himself for the more important games later in the season. He's been trying to cut and weave and be a real running back instead of being the ogre who knocks down anyone in his path that he has been in the past, this has also stopped him from making many 10+ yard runs to boost his average.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:11 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I didn't think he was THAT bad. I liked him as a bus driver.

he can't win you games, but he can ride that bus. good stopgap qb.
I hated him with a passion. He was like a robot. Sometimes I wondered outside the deep ball, did he actually think as a QB. I couldn't wait until he left us. He appeared better because he was the first "real" Qb outside the Kannel, Brown, Cherry, era of non sense. So Carrie appeared amazing! lol.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:33 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ray Rice averages 6 yards per carry and 9.8 YPC, he leads the NFL in yards from scrimmage. Scotty is a genius. I think Rice will be used like Tomlinson did back in his prime in SD.

But who has the best yards per carry? Is it Chris Johnson?
Old 10-20-2009, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Ray Rice averages 6 yards per carry and 9.8 YPC, he leads the NFL in yards from scrimmage. Scotty is a genius. I think Rice will be used like Tomlinson did back in his prime in SD.

But who has the best yards per carry? Is it Chris Johnson?
Ahmad Bradshaw's getting 6.2 ypc I think that's around what Johnson's getting. Then again I am far from a stat guy so there could be a few guys I'm just not realizing are performing as well as they are.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote