Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Bucs4242
Rookie

Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Sean Mahan, from a Bucs fan

The majority of you obviously have never seen him play. The guy is not very good. That poster, "Man of Steel" is about the only one who seems to get it. Mahan is a backup guard, and not a very good one at all. He might be a servicable center one day, but then again that was just a hope and a dream Bucs fans hung onto after seeing how poorly he worked out at guard. His first game starting at center was in 2004, and our QB was sacked (I want to say) 8-10 times that day.

Mahan was a backup who wanst pursued by the BUcs and wasnt offered a contract before MARCH 2. btw, the BUcs OL has been nowhere near as good as the Steelers and yet we werent interested in signing him. Actaully I would go as far to say that for the past4 years the Bucs have had opne of the worst 3-5 OL in football

5 mil for MAhan in his first year? WOW,thats all I have to say

In all honesty the guy shouldve got no more than 10 mil over 5 years. Instead he got 20 mil. I bet he is the happiest man in the world right now as he probably thought he w ould never in his career get a starter type contract like Pitt gave him
Old 03-10-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
TheGunShow
Rookie

TheGunShow hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm not sure where you got those figures but if it is true I think it's a horrible signing. I put off my opinion until I saw some numbers. I figured he'd get overpaid. Everyone is this offseason. But at that price he better start. I thought a deal around two million a season would of been about right with this offseason pricing. He can provice depth and push for the starting center position. But I would much rather waited until after the draft to sign players. What if Kalil is around in the 2nd round. We have to take him and that will pretty much put Mahen fighting for the RG spot which with all the competition he'll likely lose.

I didn't like re-signing Aaron Smith before the draft and I don't like signing a back-up to starters money before the draft. So far the Steelers get an F this offseason. Which is really bad because just by sitting on their hands they would of gotten an A!
TheGunShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:51 PM    (permalink
TheGunShow
Rookie

TheGunShow hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Of course we could of signed Jeff Garcia.
TheGunShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Bucs4242
Rookie

Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.Bucs4242 could make a wolverine purr.

Im not sure exactly what that means, but sure

I wasnt trying to be a dyck either. I just like to inform opposing fans of who they are gettiong when Bucs players sign elsewhere. I went to the Detroit board and just kept raving about how well I think Dewayne WHite will do for them. I just couldnt help but laughing hysterically when I wookie up and read this contract Mahan got. I dont dislike the Steeelers at all, its just a ridiculous ocntract

Quote:
Tampa Bay free agent offensive lineman Sean Mahan agreed to terms on a five-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers Saturday, PewterReport.com is reporting.

Mahan will earn close to $5 million in his first season and an average of roughly $3.5 million in the ensuing four seasons with the Steelers.

Mahan, 26, has started 36 of the 57 games hes played in since entering the NFL in 2003 as a fifth-round draft pick out of Notre Dame.

The 6-foot-3, 301-pound Mahan has proven to be a versatile player. He started all 16 games at right guard in 2005. In 2004, he started the final eight games of the season in place of injured center John Wade. Last season, Mahan started 12 of Tampa Bays 16 regular season games. Most of his playing time came at left guard in place of injured G Dan Buenning.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Bucs4242
Rookie

btw, I would say that Mahan was the 5th or maybe 6th best player on a below average Bucs OL
Old 03-10-2007, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Man_Of_Steel hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs4242 View Post
The majority of you obviously have never seen him play. The guy is not very good. That poster, "Man of Steel" is about the only one who seems to get it. Mahan is a backup guard, and not a very good one at all.
Thanks for the props.

Chance of rep :)
Man_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well that pretty much sucks. I guess I've been out of the loop, cause i didnt even know we signed this guy.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Bucs4242
Rookie

I don't want to be all doom and gloom

I liked Sean Mahan. I thought the Bucs would resign him, withg littlew competition, for maybe 2 mil per year and a small signing bonus. Mahan has no future at Guard. In fact if he is starting at guard there is a good chance your season isnt going the way you wanted it to

As a center his lack of strength is less of an issue. Or atleast it seemed that way. He has a good head on his shoulders. He is a decent athlete but nothign special. He is smallish without NFL caliber strength. Honestly he falt out got destroyed anytime we facxed a really good DT when he was at guard

All in all, he will have to live up to his fullest potential to be worth that contract. And as an objective, diehard BUcs fan I really dont see it in him

But I am certain his only chance as a starter will come at Center
Old 03-10-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People are pretty high on him here. He isn't the starter yet, he is competing. Likewise, the guy isn't as bad as you say. I've taken a look at him and he has some potential with our work mentality, he can get there. I think it is a good signing and a guy who could anchor the line successfully. Great? Of course not, but he is a player who works hard. He does better at the second level than the first, and that is how we use Centers usually. He fits the team well. We will see.

I personally like Okobi as a starter, but that is me.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:22 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The majority of you obviously have never seen him play. The guy is not very good. That poster, "Man of Steel" is about the only one who seems to get it. Mahan is a backup guard, and not a very good one at all. He might be a servicable center one day, but then again that was just a hope and a dream Bucs fans hung onto after seeing how poorly he worked out at guard. His first game starting at center was in 2004, and our QB was sacked (I want to say) 8-10 times that day.

Mahan was a backup who wanst pursued by the BUcs and wasnt offered a contract before MARCH 2. btw, the BUcs OL has been nowhere near as good as the Steelers and yet we werent interested in signing him. Actaully I would go as far to say that for the past4 years the Bucs have had opne of the worst 3-5 OL in football

5 mil for MAhan in his first year? WOW,thats all I have to say

In all honesty the guy shouldve got no more than 10 mil over 5 years. Instead he got 20 mil. I bet he is the happiest man in the world right now as he probably thought he w ould never in his career get a starter type contract like Pitt gave him
thank u for sharing out opinon with us but i think he'll be prety good...

he was looked at by 4 teams and hes a good fit for us, he was decnt in TB but i think he will excel here

with a good team
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:38 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
thank u for sharing out opinon with us but i think he'll be prety good...

he was looked at by 4 teams and hes a good fit for us, he was decnt in TB but i think he will excel here

with a good team
Why would the team he was with make him be any better of a player?

Mahan is not as bad as Bucs42 makes him out to be. He is a serviceable starter and can play RG, LG and C. He is pretty much a 'what you see is what you get' kind if guy.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:21 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
Why would the team he was with make him be any better of a player?

Mahan is not as bad as Bucs42 makes him out to be. He is a serviceable starter and can play RG, LG and C. He is pretty much a 'what you see is what you get' kind if guy.
I have a feeling, he could be a very effective Pulling/Trapping center.

With that Said, I hope if he starts, Kemo starts at RG.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Bucs4242
Rookie

24cadillac24 is obviously a football novice

I love how Steelers fans are explaining to me he's not as bad as I think he is. I have season tickets to the bucs. I watch and record every game. Im a diehard fan and love he Bucs. I like Mahan. I wish him well. Truth is he is not effetcive on the first level, second level, etc. Why do you think Cadillac Williams averaged like 3.5 ypc? Mahan is not very good at all.

What does, "what you see is what you get" even mean? What I saw was a physically incapable NFL OL who didnt have the strength or power to hold his position at the point of attack. He just isnt that physically gifted but you all will see. The Bucs OL has been so pathetic and we let this guy walk with very little pursuit. Think about it, he is young and he came up in our system but we let him go when we need OL more than anytrhing and our OL is horrible? Doesnt add up.

Now on the other hand, OL is a position where a group of 5 good OL can cover up for a guy like Mahan at center. Maybe the Stelers OL is good enough around him to mask his weaknesses. But either way, he is overpaid
Old 03-11-2007, 03:13 PM    (permalink
BigRob
Rookie

BigRob hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Mahan will be fine

Mahan will be the Steelers opening day Center. He is better at the second level and is a very agile lineman. That is how we like to use our centers. You can't judge a player by the play of the line as a whole. It is how the unit works together. It will remain to be seen how he does, but I know that the Bucs did want him back. I think he is an upgrade over our current options at Center, and is better than Sukky Okobi.
BigRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
Mahan will be the Steelers opening day Center. He is better at the second level and is a very agile lineman. That is how we like to use our centers. You can't judge a player by the play of the line as a whole. It is how the unit works together. It will remain to be seen how he does, but I know that the Bucs did want him back. I think he is an upgrade over our current options at Center, and is better than Sukky Okobi.
thank you! i agree
Old 03-11-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Bucs4242
Rookie

Why do you believe that? BNecause you heard it on local sports talk radio in Pittsburgh? Or maybe your GM is feeding you that garbage? Or are your newspapers telling you he is "agile and effective at the nest level"?

The guy was horrible. I mean absolutely terrible. He loses the battle at the point of attack everytime. What do you mean, "it is yet to be seen". No I saw him start in 36 games and got a good evaluation of his game

Just becase the Bucs wanted him back doesnt mean anything. I guarantee you both a) he wasnt being offer4ed nearly as much by the BUcs and b) he wasnt being offered the starting center job whereas Pitt assured him of the starting center job

Honestly can you guys tell me how many games youve watched him play in, and actually watched him play. Why dont you put on the Bucs v Pitt game from earlier thsi year Im sure that will show you what kind of player he is. On pass plays he will get overpowered and on run plays he will allow the DL to move the LOS into your backfield
Old 03-11-2007, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
Dude Okobi is gona be good. It would be a huge mistake not to let him start.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:32 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
ive liked okobi as well but obviously the steelers were not set with him at center, or they would not have gone out and gotten mahan
Old 03-11-2007, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
24cadillac24 is obviously a football novice

I love how Steelers fans are explaining to me he's not as bad as I think he is. I have season tickets to the bucs. I watch and record every game. Im a diehard fan and love he Bucs. I like Mahan. I wish him well. Truth is he is not effetcive on the first level, second level, etc. Why do you think Cadillac Williams averaged like 3.5 ypc? Mahan is not very good at all.

What does, "what you see is what you get" even mean? What I saw was a physically incapable NFL OL who didnt have the strength or power to hold his position at the point of attack. He just isnt that physically gifted but you all will see. The Bucs OL has been so pathetic and we let this guy walk with very little pursuit. Think about it, he is young and he came up in our system but we let him go when we need OL more than anytrhing and our OL is horrible? Doesnt add up.

Now on the other hand, OL is a position where a group of 5 good OL can cover up for a guy like Mahan at center. Maybe the Stelers OL is good enough around him to mask his weaknesses. But either way, he is overpaid
... he got 5 calls from the Bucs during the interview with Pittsburgh. They convinced him after he left to return to Tampa and they'd be signing him. He actually took less money to stay in pittsburgh. They were seriously pursuing him.

It's not "Great oline around him masking his weaknesses." It's "How can we use him to build the line for everyones strengths". he's agile, quick and strong. Perfect. Thats all the Hartings was. And he did just fine. We didn't have to design a scheme to mask hartings Deficiencies. We'll use him the same way. I just hope we get Bigger gaurds because Simmons is too weak. Put Kemo Next to him and let Mahan do all the athletic trapping/Pulling and we'll be fine.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
ive liked okobi as well but obviously the steelers were not set with him at center, or they would not have gone out and gotten mahan
Yea, Arians should know what he brings. And they said the competition was between Simmons and Mahan.

Obviously they're not that comfortable with Okobi. Not only that, but I think they also believe that Kemo is going to be the RG.

With Simmons ending up being a swingman backup.

because if they really wanted Simmons to be a starter, he has what 3 years at RG, why would they move him to center? Mahan wins the starters job and Kemo is the RG.

woop.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:27 PM    (permalink
NFLBOY
Rookie

NFLBOY hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
I agree. I like what Okobi has done when he has been in there. Nice to see that we would rather throw our money away on this guy. I'd bet Porter is just shaking his head right now and kinda laughing.
NFLBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Man_Of_Steel
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBOY View Post
I agree. I like what Okobi has done when he has been in there. Nice to see that we would rather throw our money away on this guy. I'd bet Porter is just shaking his head right now and kinda laughing.
Yea agreed
Old 03-11-2007, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
.... Are you a browns or Ravens fan in disguise? I would've loved to see your actions when they brought in Cowher, Cut Huey.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:32 PM    (permalink
NFLBOY
Rookie

NFLBOY hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
.... Are you a browns or Ravens fan in disguise? I would've loved to see your actions when they brought in Cowher, Cut Huey.
Get off it bro. Huey isn't even in the same league as Porter and the situation is totally different. We are a team a year removed from the superbowl title. Just cause our opinion is different from yours, means nothing. I guess we should all agree with you, right? I've been watching and following the Steelers longer than you've been alive, so get off your attitude act. I know all about the salary cap and the B.S. that goes with it. I'm sorry I don't follow blindly to what the Steelers do with every move like you. I think this has been a horrible offseason so far. That';s my opinion. You seem to be licking the Steelers balls with every move they make.
NFLBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:41 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Get off it bro. Huey isn't even in the same league as Porter and the situation is totally different. We are a team a year removed from the superbowl title. Just cause our opinion is different from yours, means nothing. I guess we should all agree with you, right? I've been watching and following the Steelers longer than you've been alive, so get off your attitude act. I know all about the salary cap and the B.S. that goes with it. I'm sorry I don't follow blindly to what the Steelers do with every move like you. I think this has been a horrible offseason so far. That';s my opinion. You seem to be licking the Steelers balls with every move they make.
so you would be happy to give porter 20mil guarenteed??

plus all the other money they are throing at him?