Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:48 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
this argument is getting worse and worse.

we dont have sports in our high schools. we hardly have any hockey clubs

why not try to develop american football into a world sport?

They have tried, NFL Europe, and every game I watched it seemed like barely 1/4 of the stadium had fans.

The Cadillac Three - Tennessee Mojo
http://youtu.be/N41DdVedXCo
HawkeyeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are football teams in France. There is a minor and senior league there. and I'm sure there is football all over Europe.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan View Post
They have tried, NFL Europe, and every game I watched it seemed like barely 1/4 of the stadium had fans.
its the same with most of the soccer games over here.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Who wanna see 5th stringer play football ? nobody.

#MoncriefArmy
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HawkeyeFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
its the same with most of the soccer games over here.
Then how and the hell would the NFL make money off of that?

Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You don't think the results might be different if the fans there were able to watch NFL caliber players rather than the B team?

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Seriously Hawkeye why would you think they would go back to London if they didn't make money ? like seriously.

#MoncriefArmy
Old 10-23-2009, 12:51 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
You don't think the results might be different if the fans there were able to watch NFL calibur player rather than the B team?
A chance is a chance.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:51 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo_oT88 View Post
Seriously Hawkeye why would you think they would go back to London if they didn't make money ? like seriously.
We're talking a franchise, not one game.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Then how and the hell would the NFL make money off of that?
soccer makes money.

seriously the advertising is horrible, nobody does **** about it.

NFLE was basically like MLS. Id bet you anything that if a premier league game woudl be played over in the states, it would get a lot more attention than MLS teams

Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As do I. It'd completely take way from the United States national game. You don't see MLB over there do you? No, it'd be incredibly hard on the players and would be down right stupid.
Japan. Baseball. Korea. Baseball. Venezuala. Baseball. I don't know where you've been (probably Iowa), but, the MLB is globalizing.

The NBA. Globalizing.

I think you're just holed up in this xenophobic notion of wanting to maintain superior bloodlines in the sport. ITS MINE.

No dude, it's not yours.

Quote:
NFLE was basically like MLS. Id bet you anything that if a premier league game woudl be played over in the states, it would get a lot more attention than MLS teams
agreed. the potential was there, and is there, but isn't properly utilized. b-level players = b level results. why do you think that UFL is on versus and not on the major networks. because ******* j.p. losman is starting and not peyton manning.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Last edited by awfullyquiet : 10-23-2009 at 12:56 PM.
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

I hope the hell I'm wrong and looking a Europeans point of view, I can see how I'd want a team over there if your a big fan.

But from my personal opinion, I just don't see it working and would hope they'd do an expansion team, not move a team already in place over here over.

For you, I hope I eat crow and you get your wish. But I just can't see a benefit from it.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
I hope the hell I'm wrong and looking a Europeans point of view, I can see how I'd want a team over there if your a big fan.

But from my personal opinion, I just don't see it working and would hope they'd do an expansion team, not move a team already in place over here over.

For you, I hope I eat crow and you get your wish. But I just can't see a benefit from it.
it is a high risk thing, but the reward is a lot higher.

The Risk is that nobody goes, they spend a lot of money and need to shut it down.

The reward on the other hand could lead to overall globalization and that would lead to a lot more money

Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
I have always had trouble understanding why this kinda stuff is a bad thing. Look at other North American sports like hockey and basketball and what they have been able to accomplish overseas in terms of globalizing their game - football should be no different.

The NFL is a brand and they should have every right to exhaust all possible business ventures they see as profitable. The Nigeria game, in particular, seems like an exciting avenue for the league to undertake. The African continent is a rapidly growing, evolving market in specific regions like Nigeria. It is football crazy (of the other kind), however, from what I know this sport is not as embedded in the national landscape as other regions of the continent, so there is an opportunity here to exploit.

The London franchise, on the other hand, is far too premature at this point to consider. My opinion is that the "interest" there is often overestimated.
Hockey and basketball are "global" because different countries have their own independent leagues. You don't see NHL or NBA franchises in Europe or Asia because it's not feasible.

Also I put global in quotes because neither are truly global. Basketball is growing very quickly, but it's mainly only big in Spain, Eastern Europe, China and South America. Hockey is only big in North/Eastern Europe. Neither sport has been able to compete in England. When was the last time you heard of a top English prospect in hockey or basketball without them growing up in a place where those sports are big?

Also both of those sports have a significant advantage over football: They're Olympic sports. This gives the sports serious overseas exposure football doesn't get. Overseas fans got to see Lemieux, Gretzky, Jordan, Magic, etc. They're even competitive now, no country will ever compete with the USA in football unless it all of a sudden becomes by far the #1 sport in China, which will not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

china would suck at american football, they all be incredible smart players that cant execute cause the black guys would overrun them

Old 10-23-2009, 12:58 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Quote:
it is a high risk thing, but the reward is a lot higher.

The Risk is that nobody goes, they spend a lot of money and need to shut it down.

The reward on the other hand could lead to overall globalization and that would lead to a lot more money
I understand, but I also understand they have more to worry about right now than moving to Europe. Such as who goes to Los Angeles, how to work out this CBA crap, how to start getting officials to call a penalty during the game rather than have the player fined for it after.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, Goodell, to me, seems like an ego-maniac. He followed guys like Rozelle and Tagliabue, who did great things for the leage. And, he inherited the most successful league in the country.

But, it wasn't good enough for him. My impression of Goodell, is a jealous little brother with inferiority complex. He saw what Rozelle did for the leage, and saw what Tagliabue did for the league, and instead of being happy that things are running smoothly, he just thinks, "how can i leave my mark on football?"

So, he decided he'd try for the international route. Americans love football...why can't the rest of the world. but, he's completely ignoring the fact that a team has to give up a home game every year. and the expansion thing is just crazy. 32 is a good round number. the next logical number would be 36. 6 divisions of 6 teams. And, even then ya have the issue of 8 teams having to fly halfway around the world in the middle of their season. and, the NFL KNOWS this is an issue. that's why they have the Pats and Bucs going to London before their bye week. think that'll be an option everytime this alleged London team has a home game?

I don't like Goodell. I don't like his intentions and i don't like where his priorities are. I know the labor dispute isn't his fault and he just inherited it...but, I hope he gets blamed. I hope the perception is that the NFL had 20 years of peace and prosperity...then a looming lockout within 2 years of Goodell taking over.

The guy isn't gonna be happy until every player in the league is a faceless boyscout and American football has replaced soccer as the #1 sport around the globe.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
Japan. Baseball. Korea. Baseball. Venezuala. Baseball. I don't know where you've been (probably Iowa), but, the MLB is globalizing.

The NBA. Globalizing.

I think you're just holed up in this xenophobic notion of wanting to maintain superior bloodlines in the sport. ITS MINE.

No dude, it's not yours.

agreed. the potential was there, and is there, but isn't properly utilized. b-level players = b level results. why do you think that UFL is on versus and not on the major networks. because ******* j.p. losman is starting and not peyton manning.
Baseball is globalizing, Major League Baseball is staying in North America, although I could see it spreading to the Carribean and/or South America because there's little time difference, just long flights.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-23-2009, 01:01 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
china would suck at american football, they all be incredible smart players that cant execute cause the black guys would overrun them
China has 3 or 4 times as many people as the USA. If football was as big there as it is here, trust me, they'd field an international team easily able to compete with the Americans.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-23-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
Baseball is globalizing, Major League Baseball is staying in North America, although I could see it spreading to the Carribean and/or South America because there's little time difference, just long flights.
puerto rico especially.

but, that's neither here nor there...

yes, travel distance is the only thing that's keeping the league (and all leagues) from globalization. if you could play a team from london, and have it not be a 14 hour flight from LA to London... it'd be just a matter of when and where... that's the difference.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
China has 3 or 4 times as many people as the USA. If football was as big there as it is here, trust me, they'd field an international team easily able to compete with the Americans.
lol, no. (ten letters)

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:05 PM    (permalink
HawkeyeFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post

The NBA. Globalizing.

No dude, it's not yours.
Baseball in general has been global for awhile, it's not a secret. But the MLB has been North America for along time too. Teams in in Asia, and South America, and others have there own independent leagues which make it easier to globalize. The same goes to basketball, already in Euorpe and Asia is gaining on it, through independent leagues. The NFL had NFL Europe, yet, not All-Pro players, but it was football.

Quote:
So, for it to work, the NFL would have to consistently have an All-Pro team in Europe? And the first few years of the franchise, if it doesn't succeed, is going to fail?

Old 10-23-2009, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
i think its 6 times, but i dont quite think it would happen

Old 10-23-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** Europe get us a team in LA

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:10 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe View Post
But, it wasn't good enough for him. My impression of Goodell, is a jealous little brother with inferiority complex. He saw what Rozelle did for the leage, and saw what Tagliabue did for the league, and instead of being happy that things are running smoothly, he just thinks, "how can i leave my mark on football?"

The mark of a good executive is to not be "happy that things are running smoothly" and be complacent. Goodell is trying to further the brand which is a consideration towards which any stong exec should always work.

Welcome to the world of business. You may not like what he's doing or how he's doing it, but it's a smart thing for him to be doing. Your personal feelings toward the guy are clouding your ability to objectively assess his vision and actions.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote