Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 03-19-2010, 02:35 AM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McClain seems to think the Texans will take a RB on the first day of the draft. I just dont see it, maybe cause its never happened.

With Hadens 40 numbers he might fall right into our laps, I would be all for pulling the trigger for him if he falls.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmt2500 View Post
McClain seems to think the Texans will take a RB on the first day of the draft. I just dont see it, maybe cause its never happened.

With Hadens 40 numbers he might fall right into our laps, I would be all for pulling the trigger for him if he falls.

Just my opinion, but I don't think the Texans pick a RB in the 1st round either.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:24 PM    (permalink
jacko
Rookie

jacko hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Even if Earl Thomas is off the board and Ryan Mathews is sitting there, I think they try to trade back w/ San Diego. If that happened they would probably grab a corner in the late first round, then snag a RB in the second or third.
jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:28 AM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You would think with as well as we did last season that it would be easier to pin point what position we would be looking to take in the 1st round, but thats not the case. Last season I think it was pretty clear that we were going to take a LB, i was thinking it was going to be Matthews, which wouldnt of been bad but not nearly as good as Cush was. Who ever we take is going to have big expectations thanks to Cush.

By the way.... why havent i heard that Kris Brown has been cut??? There is no way we go into training camp with this guy.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:33 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haden's gonna be long gone by us since he ran well at Florida's pro day. Either take ET, or trade back and take a corner would be my strategy on draft day.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:10 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know. There have been a lot of high picks spent on safety that did't turn out. I am sure you can name a few. I know I can.

Bust factor is not why I would not want to take one this high. The reason is I think a starting safety can be found in any given year into the third round. Safety is not one of the corner stone positions (LT, QB, CB, #1 WR and Pass rusher). That is why I wouldn't want to take one this high.

I love Earl Thomas. I really do. But I also loved Michael Huff. And I loved Laron Landry. If we take a safety, that is fine. But if that is the plan of action I would rather trade down and pick up an extra pick.

But I still think the DL needs a HUGH upgrade. I, like many others, don't want to pick up another DL with a high draft pick. But all the good teams have a good pass rush. Don't get caught up in the sack numbers. I am talking about disrupting the offense. Thats why if we stay put I want a DL. I think Greg Ellis would have been a perfect match for this team. We don't need a 12 sack guy. Just an 8 sack guy would help a lot. Once we get that, we can look elsewhere.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:41 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

We are like 10 days away from the draft and nothing going on in here....

Its funny how much your opinion changes as time goes on, mine has changed a lot over who to take in the first. The more and more i think about it I would like to see Kyle Wilson come to Houston. I just really hate the idea of Reeves starting again. And if we are going to take a RB early, then take Toby G in round 2. I'm gonna try to stick with this.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's funny, the Texans and the Eagles my two favorite teams always are targeting similar positions going into the draft. This year needs in common are CB, S, and C. Kyle Wilson looks really good to me as a prospect, I wouldn't mind seeing us take him at all. Earl Thomas would also be fantastic. Maurkice Pouncey wouldn't be a bad pick at all either.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 AM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still hoping for Earl Thomas. I wouldn't care if the Texans played him at S or CB.

Kyle Wilson would be fine with me too.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:00 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Homer View Post
I'm still hoping for Earl Thomas. I wouldn't care if the Texans played him at S or CB.

Kyle Wilson would be fine with me too.
I like Earl Thomas, but the reason i would rather take Wilson is because I would much rather have Eugene Wilson starting at safety than have Reeves starting at corner.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmt2500 View Post
I like Earl Thomas, but the reason i would rather take Wilson is because I would much rather have Eugene Wilson starting at safety than have Reeves starting at corner.
That's a good point, but one reason I think that there's so much pressure on our CB's is that our safeties can't give them very much help. I think a rangy safety like Earl Thomas would reduce the responsibility for our CB's and thereby help us some in both areas.

I totally agree on the point that Eugene Wilson is a better starter at S than Reeves is at CB. At this point I'm indifferent and would be very happy with either Earl Thomas or Kyle Wilson.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:44 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

I agree with you Cunningham i would be happy with either as well.

On Chron.com McClain thinks the Texans will be going RB in the 1st and CB in the 2nd. What I dont understand is that they are going to bring a RB in to split carries with Slaton and I'm sure Foster will get some carries as well. I dont see the point in drafting a RB in the 1st round when he is not going to be the full time premier back. Yes I would love to have Matthews, and if it happens i wont be upset but there are going to be very good backs in the 2nd round: Best, Toby G, Dwyer, and Tate.

He also thinks that the Texans will wait and take a DT and S later in the draft.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am of the opinion that a pass rush is not something to wait on. There will be runningbacks later. Has anyone looked at the DL lately? Mario is the only real threat on it, IMO.

runningbacks can be found later. There are a lot of them this year that I would be happy with in the thrid/later rounds. But if a pass rusher is not picked early, I don't think one will be found.

I, however, do not think the Texans will draft one. But that is where I would go. If you don't take a DL, then CB or S is the only real logical choice.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

We definitely need help on the D-Line, specifically at DT IMO. I think if we went with a secondary pick in the first, either a S or CB, we should go DT in the second. I really like Lamarr Houston, he is a beast and is damn good at getting into the backfield. Some might consider that a reach, but I think he's worth it.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:07 AM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

I think the Texans are really expecting big things out of Barwin this year. But the middle does blow and needs to be fixed. Maybe we will get lucky and actually get a few sacks out of Amobi this year. I dont know if its the injuries or the cast around him or just lack of effort, but Mario needs to be putting up 12 or more sacks a year. I kinda got the feeling of him being lazy when I read a story about Cush and Ryans doing the MMA training to get in better shape, and that Jay Glazer had been trying to get Mario into the trainig but Mario would not do it. With Marios size strenght and speed he should be the most dominate DE in the league.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:51 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't trust anything McClain thinks. Last yr. he was so sure we were gonna take Clay Matthews its not even funny how it blew up in his face and he was all shocked they didn't do what he said. He's no good at his predictions and I don't think he'll be on point this yr. either.

In the first rd. I wouldn't mind Mays or Wilson at our spot. Mays is always around the ball an has shown a willingness to hit, reminds me of Pollard, I'd like Wilson more though. If we traded back I could also see us taking Robinson, he doesn't seem to fit how we usually draft considering his involvement in a cheating scandal, but I've heard talent wise he's ahead of Wilson on alot of teams draft boards. I like Wilson because of how he showecased his talent at the senior bowl... I think it was the senior bowl, I could be wrong. Anyways, I think Reeves is going into his final yr. and it would be nice to get some talent at the position. Moulden is a injury risk, Bennett.... should have already been cut, Price is good, but his size limits him. Quinn I really like him, but we need talent behind these guys. CB in the first. Unless all 3 are gone.

Theres a ton of talent in the DT position, the DC mock draft has Price falling to the late second rd. I would be shocked if he got past us. If not there are still alot of other players that could help us out. Houston is a beast and disruptive.

I don't think we'd consider RB until at least the third rd. The days of feature backs is diminishing. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they got an interior lineman in the third.

JMOs.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Yeah, I'd go RB probably in the 3rd round if I'm the Texans GM.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:29 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

Lendale White is supposed to be on the trading block. Would y'all give up a pick for him, maybe a 4th? I would do it, that way we dont have to spend an early pick on a RB and address bigger concerns.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:04 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I like Lendale, I'd be down. He's better than just about any RB you're gonna get in the 4th anyway
Old 04-16-2010, 12:36 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

I would love price in the second. But I am not soldon Linwhale White. He seems so slow to me. And I think the fourth round running backs might be able to give you as much as you would get from Linwhale. And at a much lower price.

I have come to the realization that we wont take a DL in the first round. Even though I didnt want to realize it. But if we go DB in the first, which we should if we dont go DL, I dont want Mays. He scares me. I would rather have Earl Thomas. Give me Earl Thomas in the first and Price in the second and I am happy.

If we take a running back in the second, I really like Boo (DT) from Wake Forest later in the draft. I have seen only two games that he played in, and they were last year. But he was the best player on the field. Evidently, I watched his two best games :). But if we cant land Price in the second, I would wait till the fourth or fifth and take him.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:09 PM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

Do you guys think that ET will be ready to start right away since he is coming out so early or will he have to mature some first?? Also I have been reading that Kyle Wilson is moving up a lot of draft boards and on some boards is rated higher than Haden. If both of these guys are gone by the time we pick, then we should pass on corner till the second round cause there is no one else worth the 20th pick at corner.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Yeah, I think Earl Thomas can step in and play immediately.

I've heard about Wilson's stock rising too. I've also heard people talking about both CB's Devin McCourty and Kareem Jackson could both go in round 1.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Here is my mock draft for the Texans.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1st-CB Kareem Jackson-Alabama
2nd-DT Lamarr Houston-Texas
3rd-RB Toby Gerhart-Stanford -or- RB Ben Tate Auburn
4th-OG Mike Johnson-Alabama
5th-FS Myron Rolle-FSU -or- S Kurt Coleman-tOSU
6th A.-CB Walter McFadden-Auburn -or- OT Sam Young Notre Dame
6th B.-WR Jacoby Ford-Clemson
7th-C Kevin Matthews-Texas ATM -or- QB Jarett Brown WVU
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have no idea if some of these guys will be there when the Texans pick. I tried to address all of the Texans needs.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:53 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Homer View Post
Here is my mock draft for the Texans.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1st-CB Kareem Jackson-Alabama
2nd-DT Lamarr Houston-Texas
3rd-RB Toby Gerhart-Stanford -or- RB Ben Tate Auburn
4th-OG Mike Johnson-Alabama
5th-FS Myron Rolle-FSU -or- S Kurt Coleman-tOSU
6th A.-CB Walter McFadden-Auburn -or- OT Sam Young Notre Dame
6th B.-WR Jacoby Ford-Clemson
7th-C Kevin Matthews-Texas ATM -or- QB Jarett Brown WVU
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have no idea if some of these guys will be there when the Texans pick. I tried to address all of the Texans needs.
Not bad, but I think Kareem Jackson's a bit of a reach where we pick. I think Kyle Wilson would be better value and I expect he will be available. I'm very high on Lamarr Houston, I think he's a good pick. Toby Gerhart will be gone in round 2 I expect. I'm a big fan of Myron Rolle although speed is an issue. With how fast Jacoby Ford ran at the combine I think someone will roll the dice on him earlier.

Overall a pretty decent mock, I just hope we address C sooner than the 7th. Chris Myers is absolutely awful.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Charlie Tanner from Texas is really strong OG that came on strong at Texas near the end of the season.

I have no idea how hard a potential switch from OG to Center might be, but if could be worth a shot with Tanner with a 6th round pick. I think Tanner would fit in perfectly in a ZBS.

Can Caldwell the OG we drafted last year play Center? I agree Center is a position the Texans need an upgrade at.