Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We haven't talked Knicks basketball in a long time.

I'm digging the new defensive intensity. While it's still a work in progress, we are clearly lights years better on defense this year vs last year. Guys are communicating, they're bringing effort and intensity, and they're bumping guys to the basket.

Chandler has been a big reason for that, but we also improved our roster beyond him. I love Harrelson. He's a goon, a guy who will play hard defense and be that dirty role player you need for 15 minutes a night. Shumpert has potential to be special. If he can overcome the rookie wall, he'll do some damage this year. Love his length, versatilty, defense, and his shot is better than I thought it was. Love how he attacks the basket. I think we found our SG of the future.

Melo and Stat are playing better D too. Although still not up to snuff. But they're getting there. Stat needs more work on defense than Melo. And for ***** sake, BOX OUT STAT.

Our offense is a different story though. We need a PG in the worst way. There's no flow to the offense, it's all isolation plays. Stat isn't attacking the hoop as much as he used to, we don't have as many 3 point shooters as last year, and we don't create as much space as we used to.

Offense needs a lot of work. It's also getting better though as these guys play with each other more.

Oh and Landry Fields is awful. We shouldve traded him while his stock was high last year.

If Baron can give us a legit PG, we can be a good team. If not, then we're another year away from putting it together. Either way, I'm excited.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Come on guys! We need to get this thread back alive!

I'm not too worried right now, I think as long as we make the playoffs and avoid Miami in the 1st round, we should be ok. We need time to gel.

I'm very concerned about Amare though. He looks done already. No explosion, can't jump at all anymore, he put on too much weight this offseason and his back still looks stiff. He just looks done.

I hope he's not done already. But it's not looking good for him right now.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Remember when we were getting killed for trading our bench away for Melo last year?

Well look now. One year later, our bench this year is much much better than our bench last year. This was essentially a Gallo for Melo trade, and I think it's fair to say we got the better player.

Do you really care that we lost Chandler, Mozgov, Felton, and the rest of them now?

That's why I always say role players don't mean a thing. You can easily replace them. Star players aren't easy to get. You trade a bunch of role players for a star player every time.

We improved our starting lineup and our bench in 1 year. If Baron can stay healthy, we'll get 45 minutes of quality PG play, our SG rotation of Fields, Shump (who is becoming a stud defender) is solid, our front court depth is solid and Chandler gives us great defense and energy in the middle.

If Stat can slowly get back to what he was, we can be dangerous. We play with so much passion and energy now too. I really am hopeful for this season. Hopefully we win a playoff series this year.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's just fun to watch the Knicks again. The game last night against Cleveland was an absolute blast to watch. The Garden is as loud as its been in years. The team is playing well and it looks like they're having a lot of fun too.

10 guys in the rotation! And I'm comfortable with all of them. And yeah, if Stat could regain some of that explosiveness, we're going to be very dangerous. Beating Miami or Chicago is going to be very tough but hey, who knows.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Remember when we were getting killed for trading our bench away for Melo last year?

Well look now. One year later, our bench this year is much much better than our bench last year. This was essentially a Gallo for Melo trade, and I think it's fair to say we got the better player.

Do you really care that we lost Chandler, Mozgov, Felton, and the rest of them now?

That's why I always say role players don't mean a thing. You can easily replace them. Star players aren't easy to get. You trade a bunch of role players for a star player every time.

We improved our starting lineup and our bench in 1 year. If Baron can stay healthy, we'll get 45 minutes of quality PG play, our SG rotation of Fields, Shump (who is becoming a stud defender) is solid, our front court depth is solid and Chandler gives us great defense and energy in the middle.

If Stat can slowly get back to what he was, we can be dangerous. We play with so much passion and energy now too. I really am hopeful for this season. Hopefully we win a playoff series this year.
Before he got hurt Gallo was doing really well for the Nuggets. He's played better than Melo this year. I just don't like Melo though. He's having a terrible year so far and is a selfish player.

The only reason we're even competitive is because of Lin - not Melo. I don't like the trade and still don't. Just like I didn't like the Chandler signing. All he can do is dunk and play defense a bit. He's not worth the money he's being paid.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:48 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya a couple wins make it so trading 4 starters and all your draft pick all worth it in hindsight lol
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Just like I didn't like the Chandler signing. All he can do is dunk and play defense a bit. He's not worth the money he's being paid.

Wait, what? Chandler's been worth every damn penny. He's basically the sole reason we aren't horrid defensively anymore.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with ATL here. Chandler is worth everything we're paying him. He is a legit defensive center and he is contributing more on offense than I thought he would. He brings a lot of energy too. I'm very happy with him.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I admit I wasn't thrilled with the Chandler signing initially, but he has been worth every penny. Our defense is light years better, he brings an intensity and passion that we were lacking, and now that we have a PG, he's actually giving us more on offense than I initially expected.

He was worth it.

My concern moving forward is, how are we going to keep Lin long term? Because he's going to get a good contract. I know we can keep him next year, but beyond that, what do we do?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I admit I wasn't thrilled with the Chandler signing initially, but he has been worth every penny. Our defense is light years better, he brings an intensity and passion that we were lacking, and now that we have a PG, he's actually giving us more on offense than I initially expected.

Yeah, my issue wasn't with Chandler the player. It was more of, holy ****, our PG spot is going to be ******* atrocious. Thank god Lin stepped up.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With Chandler, Shumpert, Jeffries, and even JR Smith the Knicks haven't had a defensive effort like this in a while.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Shump is developing into a beast on defense. If he can work on his J, he's going to be very good. Don't' forget Harrelson either. Before he got hurt, the vanilla gorilla was giving us some decent minutes.

This Knicks team, both the starting lineup and the bench, is significantly better than what it was last year.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: I feel like a, like a slice o' butter,melting on top of a big-ol pile of flapjacks...yeah
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Somebody needs to wear this as a sig

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Novak a lot but don't do anything that somewhat implies you're a cheesehead.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Wait, what? Chandler's been worth every damn penny. He's basically the sole reason we aren't horrid defensively anymore.
Eh, we're still pretty middle of the road in terms of defensive ability. Some of that is simply due to slowing down our tempo too. We might not give up as many points but we also have scored fewer points this year.

I mean, Tyson is a good defender. Like I said, most of his offense comes from dunks - hence the high percentage. That's fine, but it's not like he can be relied upon for any consistent offense by his own accord. I just think he's overpaid and the idea that he can change a team culture and make them more defensively orientation is silly.

Only the coach can do that. D'Antoni has slowed the pace down and emphasized defense far more this year. Or at least his assistants have. Either way. That and we've had other defensive players show up - ala Shumpert.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Eh, we're still pretty middle of the road in terms of defensive ability. Some of that is simply due to slowing down our tempo too. We might not give up as many points but we also have scored fewer points this year.

I mean, Tyson is a good defender. Like I said, most of his offense comes from dunks - hence the high percentage. That's fine, but it's not like he can be relied upon for any consistent offense by his own accord. I just think he's overpaid and the idea that he can change a team culture and make them more defensively orientation is silly.

Only the coach can do that. D'Antoni has slowed the pace down and emphasized defense far more this year. Or at least his assistants have. Either way. That and we've had other defensive players show up - ala Shumpert.
He's brought us a presence in the middle, numbers don't do his defense justice.

I'm not saying he was worth the price tag, bc I feel we probably did overpay for him, but if you want to be a successful team, you need a guy like that in the middle. 7 footers aren't cheap.

Now if we could package him and Amare for Dwight, I do it in a heartbeat. Hell, I'll drive both of them down there myself, but since that's not happening, I'm happy with what we have.

We just have to cross our fingers that Stat can become Stat again. Bc right now, he's not close to what he was last year before D'Antoni rode his knees to the ground.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:13 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
He's brought us a presence in the middle, numbers don't do his defense justice.

I'm not saying he was worth the price tag, bc I feel we probably did overpay for him, but if you want to be a successful team, you need a guy like that in the middle. 7 footers aren't cheap.

Now if we could package him and Amare for Dwight, I do it in a heartbeat. Hell, I'll drive both of them down there myself, but since that's not happening, I'm happy with what we have.

We just have to cross our fingers that Stat can become Stat again. Bc right now, he's not close to what he was last year before D'Antoni rode his knees to the ground.
Eh, I think Chandlers presence and role has been overrated. I'm not saying he's made no impact, but I do feel it's slightly overblown. That's just me though. 7 footers don't just grow on trees, but I still think with Chandlers injury history and his lack of offensive game that he wasn't worth the price tag at all. I would have been happier with trying to swing a deal for a third big time player. Unless Lin continues to beast and becomes a star, there is no way we can compete with a team like the Heat or Thunder, if it came to that.

They're just too good defensively and have too many weapons on offense.

Plus I don't think Melo is that special. And Stat hasn't looked great either, as you mentioned. I worry he just doesn't fit in with Melo here. He's too willing to defer and loses his aggressiveness. Things just don't look good unless Lin continues to play like this.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This team is going no where with Lin as the PG. Give me Baron.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:59 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lin is fine. Baron also looks good. I like Lin playing around 25ish minutes, Baron getting the rest.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Give him time. This is essentially his rookie year, he'll grow and get better.

I like how the starting unit is working on their ball movement. It's been much better. We just have to cut down on the turnovers and we'll be fine. I'm not worried about it.

Paul Pierce is clutch. It happens.

Love our depth, love our ball movement so far, we just have to cut down on turnovers.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see a player that makes consistently awful decisions and plays out of control. There were 3 or 4 times when he just flat out slipped today and got bailed out by foul calls.

At least Baron's turn overs tend to be bad execution, not bad decision making.

Lin's a nice high energy guy, but he shouldn't be given as many minutes as he has been.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

The Knicks got bailed out by foul calls? You are aware that the Knicks are the team in blue and not the team in white and green right?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTgiants View Post
The Knicks got bailed out by foul calls? You are aware that the Knicks are the team in blue and not the team in white and green right?
Did I say the Knicks overall? No.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Did I say the Knicks overall? No.
No you didn't but the mere fact that you mention that anybody on the Knicks got bailed out by foul calls in this game is ridiculous.