Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default MidSeason Thoughts

I said Id make this thread next week, but I'm in the mood now so im gonna make it now. I'll probably forget some stuff I want to discuss in the process, my thread will be sporadic and an eye sore to read as always, and there will be grammar and spelling errors. I apologize in advance for all of this.

-Its been discussed in another thread, and I want to discuss it here as well. Chris Johnson is an example of how the running game has changed in the NFL. In today's league, with the spread formations and the passing game being used to set up the screen game and run game, a guy of Johnson's skillset is more important than a guy like Brandon Jacobs as an example.

You have to be small and quick enough to run through small lanes, you have to have the speed to cutback, catch out of the backfield to present a matchup problem to potentially take an LB off the field, you have to pass block. Basically, you have to be a spread offense RB. Those guys are the most dangerous backs in today's NFL.

I'm not saying that the traditional RBs are not effective anymore, but their contributions and effectiveness are diminishing. Every team needs a scatback now. And he should get half the carries.

-Also, speaking of Johnson, is it a coincidence that he explodes the past 2 weeks with Vince Young at qb? I think not. Vince is getting too much credit in some ways for their victories, considering his passing numbers, but whats overlooked is how his scrambling ability has opened up lanes for the run game and in turn, improved Chris Johnson's numbers. So maybe his play is not overrated afterall? Something to think about.

Vince isn't the type of guy that will wow you with numbers. But let's face it, he does win, and the team has looked much better with him under center. I'm still skeptical, but maybe Vince isn't dead yet after all. We'll have to wait and see.

-The traditional 4-3 WILL is a dying breed. I've realized this the past couple of weeks. We don't see many Derrick Brooks of the world anymore. Even players in college are not coming out in that mold anymore.

Why? Bc of the popularity of the 3-4 defense. Most kids in college are now developing their bodies to be 240 lbs, so they can either be 3-4 ILBs or 4-3 MIKEs.

Those speedy 4-3 WILLs are becoming rarer and rarer. The last guy that comes to mind that fit that profile coming out to me was Lawrence Timmons. And oddly enough, he gets drafted into a 3-4 and has to pack on weight and develop his body in that scheme.

The only 2 guys I can think of that are major players as traditional 4-3 WILLs in today's game are Lance Briggs (the prototype), and Michael Boley (he's been a complete stud for us, but just hasn't been healthy).

Think about it. Who else? Chad Greenway? Not fast enough. Rocky McIntosh? Not good enough. Thomas Howard? See Rocky McIntosh.

Maybe LeRoy Hill? I guess that makes 3 guys. But think about that. Thats how much defenses have changed over the past 4 years.

If you guys can name more, feel free to name em.

-Matt Ryan is hitting the sophomore slump. Now having that said, watch him put up a 40 burger on my Giants :(. But getting back to my original point, I think "the next Peyton Manning" talk is a bit premature. I love Ryan, I think the world of him. But let's put the anointing oil down. You gotta prove it first.

-Let's talk about the least appreciated pass rusher in the NFL. Let's talk about Trent Cole. I don't know why this guy doesn't get more credit, but he just doesn't. He's widely considered in the 2nd tier of dominant DEs in this league, but he's better than that.

Cole is just as good as the Osis, the Jared Allens of the world. Yes. Hes that good. He can stuff the run, he's a beast of a pass rusher, he can drop in coverage, he can bullrush, he can speed rush, he can do it all. And he has the production to match. Trent Cole is a monster. Its time he got in the Pro Bowl.

-How great was the CB class of 2008? DRC, McKlevin, Talib, Mike Jenkins, Tracy Porter, Brandon Flowers, Terrell Thomas, Antoine Cason, Im sure Im missing more. But what a sick CB class.

-The Wildcat offense is a great formation. I don't care what anybody says. It works, and its only going to get better. Whats overlooked is how good the wildcat is in the redzone/goalline. I've yet to see it get stuffed at the goalline. Teams simply don't know how to defend it and its misdirections at the goalline.

More teams should incorporate this package in their goalline formations. I think its effectiveness in that area is going overlooked. If we have a stat junky here, Id be very curious to see its success rate inside the 10 yard line.

I bet its very high.

-The Bengals are making a terrible mistake. They are running Cedric Benson into the ground. They found themselves a premiere RB (who I still personally feel is a legitimate MVP candidate), but they keep giving him 30+ carries a game. Thats overkill. They are going to run him into the ground. We all seen this tale before. We all know how it ends. Sure, he might be sick this year, but at that pace, he's going to be crap next year. Save the guy. Spread some touches. Protect your investment. You found a diamond in the rough, now make sure you keep him that way.

If the Bengals run him into the ground, expect him to do great this year, but poorly next year. And their whole offense will suffer next year as a result unless some serious changes/precautions are made.

If youre the Bengals, you don't want to be a one year wonder. Protect Benson. Take some carries off his shoulders.

-The 1 and 2 seeds. Do you want your team to really have it anymore? Look at recent history. Most teams who've had the bye week have lost their game. Is it a coincidence. I don't think so. And here's why.

The NFL has made a terrible mistake in allowing assistant coaches on playoff teams the right to interview for HC jobs during the playoffs. During this bye week, its very common for assistant coaches on those teams to go out and interview for HC positions.

When they do this, they almost never are able to put 100% of their energy into the gameplan for the following week. Theyre more concerned about getting the new job. Think about it. Wouldn't you? If you were them, what would you dedicate more time to? The following opponent? Or your job interview?

And because of this, the teams that rely a lot on good coordination, often see their team flop during their playoff game bc their coordinators aren't putting as much effort into the gameplan. And the team suffers bc of it. I saw it happen to the Titans (Schwartz gets a job), Giants (Spags gets a job, Killdrive almost gets one) last year. Coincidence?

I don't think so. Think of it this way. The only 1 or 2 seed to win their postseason game was Pittsburgh last year. They had no one interview for a HC job during the bye week. The Giants, Titans did. Not sure about the Panthers, maybe a Panthers fan can say.

So let's look at the teams with the fast track to the bye week. Minnesota and NO in the NFC, and Indy in the AFC.

Leslie Frazier of the Vikings could very well get some interviews, as will Greg Williams of the Saints.

I don't foresee anyone from the Colts getting an interview. So if all 3 of those teams get the bye, it would not shock me at all if Minny and NO somehow choke. Im not saying they will, but if they do, I think this is the very reason for it. Let's keep an eye on this.

I probably wrote too much, so i'm gonna stop it at this point. Again, sorry for the sporadic writing.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vince Young just wins games

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:00 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good thoughts as always BBD. However I think you may have been suckered by Vince Young. With a sample size of only 2 games you can't redraw the map on this guy just yet.

The point about coordinators interviewing during the playoffs...this has been going on for a long time and I'd like to see a definitive correlation between missteps in the playoffs against coordinator interviews.

I'm sure it's there; not to get too homerish but I spent a lot of time discussing this with my brothers and buddies after the 2006 season; Wade Phillips and Cam Cameron were highly pursued and a 14-2 Charger team choked up and looked unprepared in the playoffs. The reasons behind that collapse are plentiful of course but there was a consensus that Cam Cameron stopped running the ball and put his passing game on display to the detriment of the team.

As for 4-3 Wills...the NFL moves in cycles, it always has. Right now the trend is towards bigger defenses. I don't doubt it will come back around eventually, I've never been sold on any position 'dying' permanently.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Good thoughts as always BBD. However I think you may have been suckered by Vince Young. With a sample size of only 2 games you can't redraw the map on this guy just yet.

The point about coordinators interviewing during the playoffs...this has been going on for a long time and I'd like to see a definitive correlation between missteps in the playoffs against coordinator interviews.

I'm sure it's there; not to get too homerish but I spent a lot of time discussing this with my brothers and buddies after the 2006 season; Wade Phillips and Cam Cameron were highly pursued and a 14-2 Charger team choked up and looked unprepared in the playoffs. The reasons behind that collapse are plentiful of course but there was a consensus that Cam Cameron stopped running the ball and put his passing game on display to the detriment of the team.

As for 4-3 Wills...the NFL moves in cycles, it always has. Right now the trend is towards bigger defenses. I don't doubt it will come back around eventually, I've never been sold on any position 'dying' permanently.
Im not sold on Vince Young at all yet. But there are some things to consider. I'm just pointing them out right now. I'm still very skeptical on the guy, and want to see more.

I think the damage done during these interviews are more noticeable now than in years past because of parity. A lot of times it really comes down to gameplan.

I wouldn't say we're evolving into bigger defenses. I think we're evolving into more versatile defenses, ie the 3-4. The 3-4 defenses we see today are actually smaller and faster than your traditional Parcells style defense. But the versatility of the 3-4 is being used to counter the spread offense.

The zone blitz ability out of the 3-4 is the main reason for that.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
-Its been discussed in another thread, and I want to discuss it here as well. Chris Johnson is an example of how the running game has changed in the NFL. In today's league, with the spread formations and the passing game being used to set up the screen game and run game, a guy of Johnson's skillset is more important than a guy like Brandon Jacobs as an example.

You have to be small and quick enough to run through small lanes, you have to have the speed to cutback, catch out of the backfield to present a matchup problem to potentially take an LB off the field, you have to pass block. Basically, you have to be a spread offense RB. Those guys are the most dangerous backs in today's NFL.

I'm not saying that the traditional RBs are not effective anymore, but their contributions and effectiveness are diminishing. Every team needs a scatback now. And he should get half the carries.
I love the way Chris Johnson, Ray Rice and Maurice Jones-Drew play. It is slightly different from what the RB position has been about throughout history, but they are ultra-productive and run with surprising amount of power.

Quote:
-Also, speaking of Johnson, is it a coincidence that he explodes the past 2 weeks with Vince Young at qb? I think not. Vince is getting too much credit in some ways for their victories, considering his passing numbers, but whats overlooked is how his scrambling ability has opened up lanes for the run game and in turn, improved Chris Johnson's numbers. So maybe his play is not overrated afterall? Something to think about.

Vince isn't the type of guy that will wow you with numbers. But let's face it, he does win, and the team has looked much better with him under center. I'm still skeptical, but maybe Vince isn't dead yet after all. We'll have to wait and see.
Same here, but I do think Young's presence will open up running lanes. I saw it first hand in Atlanta, where Michael Vick made Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett look like excellent runners.

Quote:
-The traditional 4-3 WILL is a dying breed. I've realized this the past couple of weeks. We don't see many Derrick Brooks of the world anymore. Even players in college are not coming out in that mold anymore.

Why? Bc of the popularity of the 3-4 defense. Most kids in college are now developing their bodies to be 240 lbs, so they can either be 3-4 ILBs or 4-3 MIKEs.

Those speedy 4-3 WILLs are becoming rarer and rarer. The last guy that comes to mind that fit that profile coming out to me was Lawrence Timmons. And oddly enough, he gets drafted into a 3-4 and has to pack on weight and develop his body in that scheme.

The only 2 guys I can think of that are major players as traditional 4-3 WILLs in today's game are Lance Briggs (the prototype), and Michael Boley (he's been a complete stud for us, but just hasn't been healthy).

Think about it. Who else? Chad Greenway? Not fast enough. Rocky McIntosh? Not good enough. Thomas Howard? See Rocky McIntosh.

Maybe LeRoy Hill? I guess that makes 3 guys. But think about that. Thats how much defenses have changed over the past 4 years.
What about Keith Rivers?

Speaking of linebackers, albeit a different position, have you seen much of my boy Curtis Lofton? He is your kind of player, my man. He is leading the league in tackles and every last one of them has been a bone-crusher.

Quote:
-Matt Ryan is hitting the sophomore slump. Now having that said, watch him put up a 40 burger on my Giants :(. But getting back to my original point, I think "the next Peyton Manning" talk is a bit premature. I love Ryan, I think the world of him. But let's put the anointing oil down. You gotta prove it first.
Let me bounce this off of you: His second year of starting is reminding me a lot of Philip Rivers' sophomore campaign. Both are similar players in both physical talent and football IQ.

In 2007 Philip Rivers had a hard time handling pressure, throwing while getting hit, eventually he learned how to handle it but he threw a lot of interceptions and did not look very sharp that year. The same thing is happening to Ryan; the pass protection hasn't been there and he has sped up his play and is making ill-advised throws. I think he will figure it out eventually though, I am far from worried.

Quote:
-The Wildcat offense is a great formation. I don't care what anybody says. It works, and its only going to get better. Whats overlooked is how good the wildcat is in the redzone/goalline. I've yet to see it get stuffed at the goalline. Teams simply don't know how to defend it and its misdirections at the goalline.

More teams should incorporate this package in their goalline formations. I think its effectiveness in that area is going overlooked. If we have a stat junky here, Id be very curious to see its success rate inside the 10 yard line.

I bet its very high.
I don't like the Wildcat really. We ran it with Vick in 2006 and had pretty good success, Miami is doing it well the last two years, but you need a certain kind of rushing talent to make it work. I think that is why that Miami (who has Brown, Williams and a road-grading line) has had success while other teams have not.

-

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:05 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
-The Bengals are making a terrible mistake. They are running Cedric Benson into the ground. They found themselves a premiere RB (who I still personally feel is a legitimate MVP candidate), but they keep giving him 30+ carries a game. Thats overkill. They are going to run him into the ground. We all seen this tale before. We all know how it ends. Sure, he might be sick this year, but at that pace, he's going to be crap next year. Save the guy. Spread some touches. Protect your investment. You found a diamond in the rough, now make sure you keep him that way.

If the Bengals run him into the ground, expect him to do great this year, but poorly next year. And their whole offense will suffer next year as a result unless some serious changes/precautions are made.

If youre the Bengals, you don't want to be a one year wonder. Protect Benson. Take some carries off his shoulders.
Wait a week, then we'll see what the Bengals do. Benson runs more in big games such as the Baltimore contests, and he ran for 37 times against the Bears due to an injury to backup Bernard Scott and the inactive status of Brian Leonard. In some big games, the Bengals have needed Benson to keep on going as they tried to protect leads or run clock off.

Next week in Pittsburgh will be similar I'm sure, but make sure to watch for rookie Bernard Scott who should be fully healthy and willing to provide a more elusive counterpart to Benson. Expect Scott and 3rd Down back Brian Leonard to be a big part in the team's future plans moving into late November and December as the team faces competition from some of the worst rush defenses in the league (Oakland - 29th, Cleveland - 31st, Kansas City - 28th.)

Also, I feel like it should be noted that Benson doesn't take all too many big hits in the running game compared to some others. He runs compact and low to the ground and generally it has reduced and helped him absorb the normal wear and tear you'd expect.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good point BBD I was pissed when I heard Ryan interviewed for NY the week of the Steelers game, I cant bash the guy for looking 4 a promotion but still.

Also good points on Ryan, I would take him but I feel he is getting overrated but he will be very good in the NFL.

How do you feel on Flacco in his 2nd year? It will be a great QB debate Ryan VS. Flacco
Old 11-10-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post

Let me bounce this off of you: His second year of starting is reminding me a lot of Philip Rivers' sophomore campaign. Both are similar players in both physical talent and football IQ.

In 2007 Philip Rivers had a hard time handling pressure, throwing while getting hit, eventually he learned how to handle it but he threw a lot of interceptions and did not look very sharp that year. The same thing is happening to Ryan; the pass protection hasn't been there and he has sped up his play and is making ill-advised throws. I think he will figure it out eventually though, I am far from worried.

-
I was always told quarterbacks needed around 30 starts to really start showing their true colors. Initially I was doubtful but Drew Brees hit that number in 2004 and took off like a rocket, and I became a believer. Rivers showed some serious dominance in 2006, but his 07 campaign was as you said; right around that time he hit that number of starts and turned in what I considered an MVP caliber 08. I'm sure there are other examples and that Matty will fit into that category as well.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
I love the way Chris Johnson, Ray Rice and Maurice Jones-Drew play. It is slightly different from what the RB position has been about throughout history, but they are ultra-productive and run with surprising amount of power.

Same here, but I do think Young's presence will open up running lanes. I saw it first hand in Atlanta, where Michael Vick made Warrick Dunn and TJ Duckett look like excellent runners.

What about Keith Rivers?

Speaking of linebackers, albeit a different position, have you seen much of my boy Curtis Lofton? He is your kind of player, my man. He is leading the league in tackles and every last one of them has been a bone-crusher.

I don't like the Wildcat really. We ran it with Vick in 2006 and had pretty good success, Miami is doing it well the last two years, but you need a certain kind of rushing talent to make it work. I think that is why that Miami (who has Brown, Williams and a road-grading line) has had success while other teams have not.

-
I forgot about Rivers. He's a stud. Add him to the list.

Curtis Lofton is developing into a great MIKE. He's another guy who's getting overlooked.

I have no doubt in my mind that Matt Ryan will bounce back and play like a stud again. No doubt.

You bring up a great point on the wildcat. The reason why Miami is so successful with it is because they have the perfect personnel to run it, and they have practiced it more than anybody. Practice makes perfect.

Having that said, theyre not the only team in the NFL with a roadgrading oline and 2 great backs. I mean, to me, Carolina SCREAMS wildcat, and they don't use it that much.

I think plenty of teams can use it, they just have to be more committed to practicing it. You can't just practice it a couple of times in practice a week and expect to do it well. It has to be preached and practiced just like anything else.

Im a believer in the wildcat. I think its only going to get better.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:13 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
Wait a week, then we'll see what the Bengals do. Benson runs more in big games such as the Baltimore contests, and he ran for 37 times against the Bears due to an injury to backup Bernard Scott and the inactive status of Brian Leonard. In some big games, the Bengals have needed Benson to keep on going as they tried to protect leads or run clock off.

Next week in Pittsburgh will be similar I'm sure, but make sure to watch for rookie Bernard Scott who should be fully healthy and willing to provide a more elusive counterpart to Benson. Expect Scott and 3rd Down back Brian Leonard to be a big part in the team's future plans moving into late November and December as the team faces competition from some of the worst rush defenses in the league (Oakland - 29th, Cleveland - 31st, Kansas City - 28th.)

Also, I feel like it should be noted that Benson doesn't take all too many big hits in the running game compared to some others. He runs compact and low to the ground and generally it has reduced and helped him absorb the normal wear and tear you'd expect.
Yeah, I want to keep an eye on that. I expect him to get another 30+ carries against the Steelers. This game can determine the rest of the season. Its huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
good point BBD I was pissed when I heard Ryan interviewed for NY the week of the Steelers game, I cant bash the guy for looking 4 a promotion but still.

Also good points on Ryan, I would take him but I feel he is getting overrated but he will be very good in the NFL.

How do you feel on Flacco in his 2nd year? It will be a great QB debate Ryan VS. Flacco
Well, I personally thought Flacco would have a major sophomore slump, so he's exceeding my expectations. Ryan is actually doing a little worse than I expected, but i had higher expectations for Ryan this year than I did for Flacco.

But both are great, and are going to be great qbs in this league. You can't go wrong with either of them, and arguing who's better is pretty pointless. Both teams are very happy with who they have, and thats all that counts.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:23 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, I want to keep an eye on that. I expect him to get another 30+ carries against the Steelers. This game can determine the rest of the season. Its huge.
To be honest, last week's game was bigger for the Bengals. I want to beat the Steelers and really set the tone in the AFC North, and hell, the AFC. Still, last week's game was far more necessary to win.

If you look into the Bengals second half of the year, we have four easy-win games (@ Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City,) and four tougher contests (@ Pittsburgh, @ San Diego , @ Minnesota, and @ New York Jets). I'll say worst case scenario, for this team, is 10-6. That said, 10-6 should be a playoff spot. The win last week put the Bengals in position for a fairly easy playoff birth, and took a Ravens team (with dates looming against Pittsburgh x2, Indianapolis, in Green Bay, and Chicago) out of the hunt for time being.

This game could put Cincinnati on the fast track to an AFC North Championship and home playoff game, so it is big, but all things considered, last week's game may have been the biggest game on the Bengals schedule.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some points.

I think you can add Thomas Davis to that list of pure WILL backers in this league. It's a shame he tore his ACL during the game vs. the Saints but from all accounts he was having a great season, and in that game he was brilliant in dropping back in coverage and taking away Brees' options over the middle... Shockey, and Colston both struggled mightily in that game. Him along side Beason solidified a great LB unit... again big blow for them to lose a player like that.

Shame the Titans got out to that terrible start, it's good for that team they are still playing hard... agreed that Chris Johnson is a great back... I'm hoping Reggie Bush can somehow develop into being a back of similar caliber. He has a ways to go, but he has started making some strides vs. Carolina we got him more involved in the passing game and he made some nice conversions, also he's being less hesitant with his runs but we'll have to see how his season goes along. (I have a feeling more touches are in store for him)

I think Ryan will be fine, he's just hitting a rocky stretch that all QBs go through at some point and trying to figure how to play out of it. Not every pass play is going to go in your favor.

How do you guys see the playoff picture playing out? Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (both 6-2) have a big upcoming game that can give either the early edge on the AFC North. Can the Ravens rebound to earn a playoff spot? Can Houston, San Diego edge their way into the playoffs? Denver has had some mid-season struggles do they get their stuff back together?

In the NFC it's a little more clear cut but things can always change. I think Atlanta makes a clear push... but other then that who steps up? Is it too late for the Giants? who are the Eagles? while teams like the Bears, Packers, 49ers have really plummeted the past few weeks.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
How do you guys see the playoff picture playing out? Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (both 6-2) have a big upcoming game that can give either the early edge on the AFC North. Can the Ravens rebound to earn a playoff spot? Can Houston, San Diego edge their way into the playoffs? Denver has had some mid-season struggles do they get their stuff back together?
Houston has a very easy schedule, they only play two winning teams from here on out. They play the Colts at home which they can win and the Patriots in week 17 which I doubt New England has their studs out there. They should be able to go at least 4-1 against Tennessee, Jacksonville, Miami, Seattle and St Louis.

San Diego has a tougher road, they play the Eagles, Bengals at home and the Broncos and Cowboys on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if San Diego passes Denver for the AFC West though.

Quote:
In the NFC it's a little more clear cut but things can always change. I think Atlanta makes a clear push... but other then that who steps up? Is it too late for the Giants? who are the Eagles? while teams like the Bears, Packers, 49ers have really plummeted the past few weeks.
It is going to be fascinating to see how New York and Philadelphia will handle the schedules in front of them, it is pretty brutal as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by Shiver : 11-10-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:33 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great job like always although i would like to hear your thoughts on some of the rookies
Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Some points.

I think you can add Thomas Davis to that list of pure WILL backers in this league. It's a shame he tore his ACL during the game vs. the Saints but from all accounts he was having a great season, and in that game he was brilliant in dropping back in coverage and taking away Brees' options over the middle... Shockey, and Colston both struggled mightily in that game. Him along side Beason solidified a great LB unit... again big blow for them to lose a player like that.

Shame the Titans got out to that terrible start, it's good for that team they are still playing hard... agreed that Chris Johnson is a great back... I'm hoping Reggie Bush can somehow develop into being a back of similar caliber. He has a ways to go, but he has started making some strides vs. Carolina we got him more involved in the passing game and he made some nice conversions, also he's being less hesitant with his runs but we'll have to see how his season goes along. (I have a feeling more touches are in store for him)

I think Ryan will be fine, he's just hitting a rocky stretch that all QBs go through at some point and trying to figure how to play out of it. Not every pass play is going to go in your favor.

I thought Thomas Davis was a SAM no?

Quote:
Houston has a very easy schedule, they only play two winning teams from here on out. They play the Colts at home which they can win and the Patriots in week 17 which I doubt New England has their studs out there. They should be able to go at least 4-1 against Tennessee, Jacksonville, Miami, Seattle and St Louis.

San Diego has a tougher road, they play the Eagles, Bengals at home and the Broncos and Cowboys on the road. I wouldn't be surprised if San Diego passes Denver for the AFC West though.

It is going to be fascinating to see how New York and Philadelphia will handle the schedules in front of them, it is pretty brutal as far as I am concerned.
I think the winner of the AFC West makes the playoffs, the other team probably doesn't get the wildcard.

The Giants are in must win mode pretty much for the rest of the season. We can only lose 2 more games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
Great job like always although i would like to hear your thoughts on some of the rookies
Who you want to talk about? Name names.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think the winner of the AFC West makes the playoffs, the other team probably doesn't get the wildcard.

The Giants are in must win mode pretty much for the rest of the season. We can only lose 2 more games.

Who you want to talk about? Name names.
who are your top 5 on offense and defense
Old 11-10-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He's probably listed as a SAM my bad, but in the game against the Saints the Panthers used him very much as a WILL backer, dropping him to shade the shallow routes away from our underneath receivers, and he had a lot of flat responsibilities to cover the screens, swings to Bush, Pierre Thomas... there was one play where he really showed off his athleticism down by the redzone he just knifed through a gap to tackle Pierre Thomas for a big time loss.

either way with his loss they lose a lot of versatility.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
who are your top 5 on offense and defense
Thats tough.

To be honest, I haven't been keeping up with all the rookies that much this year. I'll give it a try, but I don't feel entirely confident in this list.

Offense

-Mike Wallace
-Mark Sanchez
-Percy Harvin
-Michael Oher
-tie between Hakeem Nicks and Jeremy Maclin

I haven't been overly impressed by any rookie RBs yet. It really is more of a WR class thing than anything else.

Defense

-Rey Maluaga
-Brian Orakpo
-Sean Smith
-Aaron Curry
-Tyson Jackson
Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
He's probably listed as a SAM my bad, but in the game against the Saints the Panthers used him very much as a WILL backer, dropping him to shade the shallow routes away from our underneath receivers, and he had a lot of flat responsibilities to cover the screens, swings to Bush, Pierre Thomas... there was one play where he really showed off his athleticism down by the redzone he just knifed through a gap to tackle Pierre Thomas for a big time loss.

either way with his loss they lose a lot of versatility.
yeah Im a big Thomas Davis fan, just wasn't sure what he was classified under.

his loss is a big blow.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:00 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Defense

-Rey Maluaga
-Brian Orakpo
-Sean Smith
-Aaron Curry
-Tyson Jackson
Rey has been a good starter for us, though he isn't yet the force he has been projected to be in the long run. The Texans' Brian Cushing has probably been better than any thus far.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Thats tough.

To be honest, I haven't been keeping up with all the rookies that much this year. I'll give it a try, but I don't feel entirely confident in this list.

Offense

-Mike Wallace
-Mark Sanchez
-Percy Harvin
-Michael Oher
-tie between Hakeem Nicks and Jeremy Maclin

I haven't been overly impressed by any rookie RBs yet. It really is more of a WR class thing than anything else.

Defense

-Rey Maluaga
-Brian Orakpo
-Sean Smith
-Aaron Curry
-Tyson Jackson

Dude, where is Brian Cushing and Jarius Byrd?

Old 11-10-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You missed Byrd and Cushing BBD. They have been monsters this year and are the 2 frontrunners for DROY.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Yeah I totally forgot about those 2. They definitely deserve to be on the list.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:06 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Crap, I knew I forgot some stuff. I wanted to talk about Jay Ratliff and Vincent Jackson.

Oh well, I'll save them for next time.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:08 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Crap, I knew I forgot some stuff. I wanted to talk about Jay Ratliff and Vincent Jackson.

Oh well, I'll save them for next time.
Jackson has been excellent. He's improved every year and the Chargers have done a great job developing him into a #1 WR. Rivers to Jackson is going to be around for a long time. He knows how to use his body to his advantage and he looks like a very good route runner.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote