Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 11-19-2009, 01:23 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mountain West To Expand?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ceive-auto-bid

As most of you know I'm a big fan of the Mountain West, since it is my second favorite conference outside of the SEC, and feel this would be an excellent move. However, I think this would force the BCS to adopt an And One system, or one that allows for a four team playoff. It would also, in essence, create the opportunity to allow for 10 BCS teams allowing for another bowl game (Cotton, Capitol One).

In the thread I started "Would This Be A BCS Conference" I had three of the schools involved who the MWC is looking to invite in: Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State. The exception is that I had the MWC dropping Wyoming and SDSU and taking Houston and Tulsa from C-USA.

I wonder what this would do to the WAC, though. It would bring it down from a nine team conference to a six team conference.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude

Last edited by diabsoule : 11-19-2009 at 01:49 AM.
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:32 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would these schools also be moving in basketball? That could make them a strong basketball conference as well with BYU, Utah, San Diego State, Fresno State, and Nevada at the top
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:37 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
Would these schools also be moving in basketball? That could make them a strong basketball conference as well with BYU, Utah, San Diego State, Fresno State, and Nevada at the top
Yeah, it's an all conference movement. Boise St, Nevada, and Fresno St. would be in the Mountain West. It would be an extremely competitive conference in basketball definitely; football they would have a strong top 4 (Boise St., BYU, Utah, TCU) and a competitive middle tier (Air Force, Fresno St, Nevada).

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-19-2009, 01:41 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel bad for the WAC
Old 11-19-2009, 01:47 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
I feel bad for the WAC
Same. They would have to do something or else be relegated to basically an independent conference with only six teams unless Conference USA splits and UTEP and either Houston or Tulsa decides to move to the WAC; or else C-USA expands to a "super" football conference and absorbs the WAC and has an 18 team conference.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-19-2009, 02:57 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I feel bad for the WAC
Poor New Mexico State. :( We are so good that no one wants to play us. :)
Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 AM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

I think Hawaii would be the only one to benefit from the move because they could go independent and schedule anyone they want. They'd make a fortune from teams wanting to play home games in Hawaii
Old 11-20-2009, 07:06 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
I think Hawaii would be the only one to benefit from the move because they could go independent and schedule anyone they want. They'd make a fortune from teams wanting to play home games in Hawaii
That would probably be a great idea for Hawaii for the reason alone that you mentioned.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-20-2009, 07:16 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what I recall, Hawaii has had a hard time getting OOC people to play them because it's so expensive to travel and stay in Hawaii.

Anyway, I would personally wait a few years before letting the MWC in the BCS, but they are well on their way.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:26 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think if they were to do this, the WAC would just shut it down or pick up a lot of the Cali Schools like Long Beach State, CSU-Irvine, CSU-Bakersfield, etc. or maybe Utah Valley or Weber State or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wouldn't force the BCS to change anything however.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if those teams joined MWC, the WAC and Sun Belt should just make one conference.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:43 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any change to the BCS would be a good change. I say, let in the MWC.
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:10 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
if those teams joined MWC, the WAC and Sun Belt should just make one conference.
There's a couple of things that could happen if the MWC does expand to include those three teams.

1) The WAC sends invitations to C-USA teams UTEP, Houston, Rice, and Southern Methodist. They only need two teams to accept in order to maintain conference status with eight teams.

2) With the conference down to six teams, Hawaii opts to go to an Independent status, which would give them the option to schedule whoever they want hoping to cash in on schools that would like to play in Hawaii.

3) With only six teams, the WAC sends feelers out to gauge the interest of C-USA of bringing in the remnants of the conference. If Conference USA does accept that would bring the total number of teams up from 12 to 18, creating a "super" mid-major. The term "super" is used loosely, however, as the punch would have been taken from the WAC with the departure of Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada.
Problems arise with a conference that large. Geographically it would stretch from Greenville, North Carolina (East Carolina) to Honolulu, HI (Hawaii). Such geographical problems doomed the former WAC which stretched from Hawaii to Houston (Rice).

4) The WAC invites the Sun Belt to join them which again brings up geographical issues as the conference would then stretch from Hawaii to Troy, Alabama (Troy) and Murfreesboro, TN (MTSU).

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-23-2009, 02:14 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
There's a couple of things that could happen if the MWC does expand to include those three teams.

1) The WAC sends invitations to C-USA teams UTEP, Houston, Rice, and Southern Methodist. They only need two teams to accept in order to maintain conference status with eight teams.

2) With the conference down to six teams, Hawaii opts to go to an Independent status, which would give them the option to schedule whoever they want hoping to cash in on schools that would like to play in Hawaii.

3) With only six teams, the WAC sends feelers out to gauge the interest of C-USA of bringing in the remnants of the conference. If Conference USA does accept that would bring the total number of teams up from 12 to 18, creating a "super" mid-major. The term "super" is used loosely, however, as the punch would have been taken from the WAC with the departure of Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada.
Problems arise with a conference that large. Geographically it would stretch from Greenville, North Carolina (East Carolina) to Honolulu, HI (Hawaii). Such geographical problems doomed the former WAC which stretched from Hawaii to Houston (Rice).
What needs to happen is the WAC needs to become a basketball only conference and let the football teams play as independents.

You'll have a lot of issues with C-USA teams agreeing to move to the WAC because while both are mid majors, the C-USA is on a different level in both football and basketball.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:30 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is bad news for my friend who plays in the WAC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:37 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
What needs to happen is the WAC needs to become a basketball only conference and let the football teams play as independents.

You'll have a lot of issues with C-USA teams agreeing to move to the WAC because while both are mid majors, the C-USA is on a different level in both football and basketball.
I agree that adding the remaining WAC schools would just bring down C-USA. The only team I think that would fit in would be La Tech. Their football and basketball are on the rise. The rest of the WAC is just bleh.

The two best ideas are to either have the WAC schools go independent or combine with the Sun Belt. Sure, it would stretch geographically but I don't think for that long. If and when the Big East expands, they really have no one to grab from except C-USA(East Carolina, Memphis, UCF) and possibly the MAC (Temple again). If any time were to leave C-USA then they could bring in Troy from the Sun Belt and possibly MTSU. All of this is pure speculation, though.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-23-2009, 02:38 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

The Sun Belt already extends to Denver in basketball so why not extend out to the Pacific.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:26 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
The Sun Belt already extends to Denver in basketball so why not extend out to the Pacific.
Completely true and if the MWC expands with those three teams then I see no reason for the Sun Belt and WAC to combine forces and form "Team Mediocre"!

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-24-2009, 02:05 AM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no respect for ecu wtf? for the skip holtz era we consistently sell-out football games always NO team in cusa ever sells out in fact they have absolutely pathetic attendance that is down right despicable ecu is the only cusa team with real fans and alumni who support their football team, ecu deserves better than cusa, big east or what ever else you want to make up, all other cusa football teams and their fans are a complete disgrace, ecu will be expanding their stadium this off-season or very soon and butts will be in the seats, cant say that for any other cusa team, houston utep tulsa southern miss all cusa teams who rarely if ever sell out despite putting up quality teams year in and year out if anybody in cusa deserves a bump up its ecu and no other we have the most loyal fans of any cusa team period - not neccesarily the wac but big east or anything no team in cusa deserves **** except ecu, i watch all cusa games and im sick of seeing half-full or less stadiums but going to greenville to a packed stadium with die hard fans and alumni all of cusa is a total joke as far as fans with the exception of ecu, one could argure memphis basketball but with calipari gone bball is all down the drain now too

Last edited by TitansCJftw : 11-24-2009 at 02:23 AM.
TitansCJftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:34 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansCJftw View Post
no respect for ecu wtf? for the skip holtz era we consistently sell-out football games always NO team in cusa ever sells out in fact they have absolutely pathetic attendance that is down right despicable ecu is the only cusa team with real fans and alumni who support their football team, ecu deserves better than cusa, big east or what ever else you want to make up, all other cusa football teams and their fans are a complete disgrace, ecu will be expanding their stadium this off-season or very soon and butts will be in the seats, cant say that for any other cusa team, houston utep tulsa southern miss all cusa teams who rarely if ever sell out despite putting up quality teams year in and year out if anybody in cusa deserves a bump up its ecu and no other we have the most loyal fans of any cusa team period - not neccesarily the wac but big east or anything no team in cusa deserves **** except ecu, i watch all cusa games and im sick of seeing half-full or less stadiums but going to greenville to a packed stadium with die hard fans and alumni all of cusa is a total joke as far as fans with the exception of ecu, one could argure memphis basketball but with calipari gone bball is all down the drain now too
I feel like I should do this... TitansCJftw meet Punctuation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuation

Now that we've accomplished that let's move on... Yes, I agree. ECU would be my first target if I were to expand the Big East. Their football team is perpetually solid and, like you said, they have great attendance. They also fit in the geography of the Big East and will give them a foothold in the southern US.

I have numerous conference realignments and nearly all of them having ECU join the Big East. However, it will be a long time coming and I feel not until the basketball only colleges of the Big East separate themselves form their own conferences will we see the Big East expand.

However, this thread is about the Mountain West expanding. ECU does not fit at all into the Mountain West, and why should they? They would skew the conference geographically. The points you made were valid but not in consideration to the MWC. Nevada, Boise St, and Fresno St are the best teams, outside of Tulsa and Houston, geographically for a conference that is situated in the Rocky Mountains, not a team east of the Appalachians.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 11-24-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:47 AM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ya you're right dude my bad bro it just pisses me off the thought of any cusa team being brought into a better confrence i was totally out of line for sure... :\
Old 11-24-2009, 03:38 AM    (permalink
kalbears13
Pro Bowler

Location: The difference between a child's toy and an adult toy
kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kalbears13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
I think if they were to do this, the WAC would just shut it down or pick up a lot of the Cali Schools like Long Beach State, CSU-Irvine, CSU-Bakersfield, etc. or maybe Utah Valley or Weber State or something.
None of those California schools have football programs though if that's what you were trying to get at. There are only 10 D-II and up football programs in California. btw Irvine is a UC not a CSU.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MWC West

Boise State
Fresno State
UNLV
Nevada
New Mexico
San Diego State

MWC East

BYU
TCU
Utah
Utah State
Wyoming
Colorado State

OR

MWC North

Fresno State
Boise State
Utah State
Utah
Nevada-Reno
Colorado State

MWC South

TCU
BYU
UNLV
Wyoming
New Mexico
San Diego State

*Air Force goes indy

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

To be honest, I wish there was a way to drop San Diego State and add a team like Houston.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter