Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 11-23-2009, 06:17 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Martin Mayhew's first draft class

#1 overall - Matthew Stafford, QB - Georgia - 11 TDS, 14 INTS - 1,911 yrds - 66.9 rating

Had his breakout game against the Browns (422 yrds, 5 TDS 2 INT). I was worried after the Seattle game (5 INTS) and I didn't like the 50+ pass attempts in two consecutive weeks. He has heart and brings something to the QB position we haven't had in a LONG time. I don't think Joey Harrington would have done what Stafford did against the Browns. I just hope he can stay healthy.

#20 overall - Brandon Pettigrew, TE - Ok. State - 29 catches, 334 yards 2 TDs

Has been highly criticized from the get go because of the players that were drafted him. We need to be patient with Pettigrew. After the drops and inconsistent play earlier in the season things could have gone south for him, but he battled through and is developing every week. I love the matchups he creates and once Stafford learns where to throw the ball to utilize his size then we are money. His blocking has left a lot to be desired and thats where we thought he would excel in right away. He is a complete TE and is going to open things up for the offense.

2nd round - Louis Delmas, FS - Western Michigan - 55 tackles, 1 INT, 1 sack in 9 games played
Won defensive rookie of the month earlier this year. Has brought some much needed talent to the secondary. Still has a lot of learning to do, but you have to like what he's brought to the table so far. I'd like to bring in a veteran SS next year to pair him up with. Seems like a lot of blown coverages are coming from the safety position but I'm not sure which one.

3rd round - Deandre Levy, WLB - Wisconsion - 47 tackles, 1 FF, 1 INT in 10 games played, 5 started
Stepped in for Ernie Sims and seemed to immediately be more productive than him. Brings new energy to the defense and is a good blitzer. Love having Peterson and Foote around to help him ease into the league. Already basically supplanted Sims.

3rd round - Derrick Williams, WR - Penn State
Has battled injuries since training camp, was doing a decent job on kickoffs until he got hurt again. Only 5 recs for 47 yrds so far this year, but WRs take a while to develop and he is a raw prospect. I think he can be our slot guy of the future and I like his speed.

4th round - Sammie Lee Hill, DT - Stillman
Scott Wright had Hill as a sleeper from early on in the draft process, and was pretty happy when he drafted. I didn't think it turn out so well like it has though. He was incredibly raw coming out and not in the best shape. I think once the season is over and he gets a chance to recover and then have another training camp he is going to have a better NFL body. This guy has the raw talent or he wouldn't be starting for us. Solid solid pick.

6th round - Aaron Brown, RB - TCU
Brown brings some team speed that we have been lacking in years past. He can contribute in the return game, as a WR, and a speedy scat back. He caught a TD pass from Stafford against the Browns. For a sixth round pick I like the potential here.

7th round - Zack Follett, LB - Cal
Has already made a memorable special teams hit earlier in the year and brings some much needed energy to a poor special teams unit. Him and Dizon are good players to have on the roster.

7th round - Lyndon Murtha, OT - Nebraska
Claimed off the practice squad.

7th round - Dan Gronkowski, TE - Maryland
Made some nice catches in pre-season, on the practice squad. Hopefully he takes the third TE spot next year.

Mayhew's first draft class have been incredibly fruitful. To hit on so many picks makes me believe in his ability as a GM. You can be lucky and hit on a few picks but this was just a really solid draft class. I'm already looking forward to what he does with this next draft.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol 5 starters is rediculous, but desperately needed. i actually love what they all bring to the table and their potential ceilings. 2 more seasons and we'll be playoff bound.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:12 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It has definitely proved to be a very fruitful draft class. I love it. Still would have taken Oher over Pettigrew, but Pettigrew has shown good improvement as the season has progressed. He will end up being a valuable part of the O for years to come imo.

A couple more drafts like that and we'll have a great team!
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
lol 5 starters is rediculous, but desperately needed. i actually love what they all bring to the table and their potential ceilings. 2 more seasons and we'll be playoff bound.
5 starters on this team isnt a surprise to me, it could have been 7. Yeah they're headed in the right direction. To me they need a workhorse back with a little pop who you could give it to 20 times a game, basically to keep your QB upright. From there it's all defense in this years draft.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:40 PM    (permalink
familyguy555
Pro Bowler

familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.familyguy555 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Im really excited with this class especially Aaron Brown who for a 6th rounder is looking to be a very good pick. Great job by the FO to get quality guys late like Follet, Brown and Hill.

sig made by BoneKrusher
familyguy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:29 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good class but the reality is, Mayhew needs to have another draft or two just like it before we can even count on being respectable. Leaves very little room for error. On the plus side, if he DOES manage to have another two drafts like this one, we'll have the nucleus of a genuine winning team.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His one draft is better than any of Millen's drafts. I like a lot of these players that he brought in.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:07 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I really liked how early in the season we had 5 rookie starters in the win against Washington. I liked the waiver wire pick up of Turk McBride and signing Jason Hunter as well.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not taking anything away from the draft class but it is sad that the team I cheer for had 8 openings on it for significant rookie contribution;o)

2 things not mentioned: 1) Biggest play of the year so far for this team was rookie hooking up with rookie on the 0:00 play yesterday to win it! 2) I would like to see Follett with his hand in the dirt or blitzing in some of Gun's elaborate D schemes to provide pressure on the QB. He was fantastic at doing just that at Cal last year, I hope they develop him for next year and beyond.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:05 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2010 could be awesome if they get a DT such as Suh/McCoy (rd 1) or Arthur Jones/Marvin Austin/Jared Odrick (rd 2) to match up with Sammie Hill. He is so dang STRONG. Not always in the right position & still learning the position at the NFL level ... but very excited for this kids future and his upside looks amazing. Big things in year 2 ;o)
Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
2010 could be awesome if they get a DT such as Suh/McCoy (rd 1) or Arthur Jones/Marvin Austin/Jared Odrick (rd 2) to match up with Sammie Hill. He is so dang STRONG. Not always in the right position & still learning the position at the NFL level ... but very excited for this kids future and his upside looks amazing. Big things in year 2 ;o)
I was watching the UNC- NC State game yesterday and Marvin Austin looked beastly. I think he'll go mid-late round 1 but if we go Okung or Berry then I'd look his way.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:29 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This was just as much Schwatz's draft as it was Mayhew's I think
Old 11-29-2009, 01:42 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
I was watching the UNC- NC State game yesterday and Marvin Austin looked beastly. I think he'll go mid-late round 1 but if we go Okung or Berry then I'd look his way.
Austin was a VERY high HS recruit, I agree his talent (when motivated) is there. Cam Thomas the NT @ NC has helped free him up big time. A 6-3 330 plug! Very similar to Ron Brace/BJ Raji @ BC last year.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=...s&confirm=true

I was looking for a list of current GM's in the NFL then I stumbled upon this article.

Thoughts?

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=...s&confirm=true

I was looking for a list of current GM's in the NFL then I stumbled upon this article.

Thoughts?
the argument around Pettigrew was never about who we selected. Everyone agreed that Pettigrew was far and away the best TE in the class, and a rare kind of TE since he could also block. The problem was the player we didn't select: Oher.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Last edited by Addict : 01-21-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:06 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
the argument around Pettigrew was never about who we selected. Everyone agreed that Pettigrew was far and away the best TE in the class, and a rare kind of TE since he could also block. The problem was the player we didn't select: Oher. Therein lies the problem.
Agree 100%. I still would've preferred Oher, despite the fact that Pettigrew could grow into in All-Pro TE with Staff throwing him the ball and Petts blowing up LB's on runs.

Having said that, if we can land a good, young LT prospect in the next couple of years, this conversation goes away and life is good.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:41 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

Still it is preposterous that the 2009 roster (after 1 non-Millen draft) will have more players on it Mayhew/Schwartz picked vs. from Millen's 8 years of being head douchetard in charge. 8 drafts vs. 1 draft! Goodness,that is like 50 players we do not have. Wow, just wow.

Yes, I'm still bitter but getting better. ;o)
Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
Still it is preposterous that the 2009 roster (after 1 non-Millen draft) will have more players on it Mayhew/Schwartz picked vs. from Millen's 8 years of being head douchetard in charge. 8 drafts vs. 1 draft! Goodness,that is like 50 players we do not have. Wow, just wow.

Yes, I'm still bitter but getting better. ;o)
but they all had spirit!

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:14 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

at least they were not seeing the invisible! ;o)
Old 01-23-2010, 11:43 PM    (permalink
frubulubu
Veteran

frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oher, was one of the options. The Lions also neededa cornerback badly and did not acquire one in the draft. This year they need DT, DE, SS, and CB.
frubulubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:43 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubulubu View Post
Oher, was one of the options. The Lions also neededa cornerback badly and did not acquire one in the draft. This year they need DT, DE, SS, and CB.
You forgot OG. and perhaps OT.. and a #2/#3 WR.. andddddd maybe a RB.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:32 AM    (permalink
frubulubu
Veteran

frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.frubulubu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes they need help in the O side. But the D needs help badly and the secondary was all patchwork. Had the D been half decent, there wouldve been more victories.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubulubu View Post
Yes they need help in the O side. But the D needs help badly and the secondary was all patchwork. Had the D been half decent, there wouldve been more victories.
Indeed. If our team was better we may have one more games. Well played, captain obvious.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:30 PM    (permalink
frubulubu
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
Indeed. If our team was better we may have one more games. Well played, captain obvious.
I was talking about the D, bitter, Lion fan.