Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC East Division Forum

NFC East Division Forum Discuss the NFC East

View Poll Results: Who's the best WR?
DeSean Jackson, Eagles 67 72.04%
Miles Austin, Cowboys 15 16.13%
Steve Smith, Giants 6 6.45%
Santana Moss, Redskins 1 1.08%
Mario Manningham, Giants 3 3.23%
Other 1 1.08%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Receptions...but Austin and Rice had more yards and Tds.
pfft everyone knows yards and TD's are over rated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:34 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the GMen WR.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
Um, we shut Jackson down BOTH games. And not very hard either.

So Jackson is great and proven but Austin is not??
Well Jackson was very good his rookie year, and very good this year. I'd say that's fairly proven.

Like I said though, I think Austin will be fantastic in the future, I'd just like to see him do it a little longer first is all.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Um, we shut Jackson down BOTH games. And not very hard either.
I'm in no position to defend anyone or make excuses right now, but DeSean would have broken the record for 50+ yard TDs today if McNabb would have got him the ball on that one play. Technically the cowboys did shut him down, but all I'm saying is it's not gonna be so easy every time you face him.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Miles Austin is the best number one WR. But Desean Jackson is a better all around football player. And more fun to watch.

But if the question is best WR-Miles Austin is it.

IMO

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:35 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

god, stupid homers. Sinorice Moss is clearly the best WR in the NFC East. Austin? please, he's had one good year.
Jackson? He's only good for lucky fluke big plays.
It's all about Sinorice Moss
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
god, stupid homers. Sinorice Moss is clearly the best WR in the NFC East. Austin? please, he's had one good year.
Jackson? He's only good for lucky fluke big plays.
It's all about Sinorice Moss
Haha, I remember being so jealous when you guys got Moss, we ended up getting Jason Avant in that draft instead who has actually turned into a very good slot receiver for us.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 AM    (permalink
MilesAustin4MVP
Rookie

MilesAustin4MVP MilesAustin4MVP MilesAustin4MVP

I can only laugh at the idea of Desean Jackson being better than Austin. Take away the deep routes and the guy can't do squat. Austin is a complete receiver and can hurt you in a lot of different ways.

Last edited by MilesAustin4MVP : 01-04-2010 at 10:23 AM.
MilesAustin4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sorry but as much as I like Austin, its still not even close to me. DJax all the way.

DJax is by far the best in this division. Saying "take away his deep catches and he's nothing" is like saying the same thing about Randy Moss.

I bet if you were to poll DCs around the league, most of them would be more worried about DJax compared to Austin.

I know if I had my choice of any WR in our division, Id take DJax and not even think twice about it. Its a no brainer to me quite honestly.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAustin4MVP View Post
I can only laugh at the idea of Desean Jackson being better than Austin. Take away the deep routes and the guy can't do squat. Austin is a complete receiver and can hurt you in a lot of different ways.
That's like saying take away Chris Johnson's speed and he's not the same. That's what makes him so great. Plus it's not even true, DeSean is a great route runner, and not just a post route. There are a lot of fast WRs in the NFL, the way DeSean runs routes separates himself from the DHBs and Troy Williamsons of the world.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:44 AM    (permalink
MilesAustin4MVP
Rookie

You guys misunderstood me. When I said "take away the deep routes" I didn't mean ignore it, I meant when the defenses take away the deep routes he is nothing as last game showed. If defenses play two deep safeties, or have a deep safety shaded to his side on a consistent basis you can take him out of the game.

You can't do that to Austin. Austin can beat you deep, he can beat you over the middle, short, intermediate, whatever you can't take Austin out of the game because there is so many facets to his game.

So it is pretty clear that Austin is numero uno in the NFC East.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 AM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Like I mentioned before, DeSean would have had another 50+ yarder yesterday if McNabb wouldn't have overthrown him. Even though that is what the cowboys focused on preventing, they still almost gave one up. Hell that is what every team focuses on preventing, and he still tied the record for 50+ yard TDs in a season this year. That says a lot.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I gotta go with Desean Jackson even though Austin is a more complete player.

Reason: I can find another Austin. I can't find another Jackson.

FYI... if Desean Jackson wore a Cowboys uniform, somebody's forum name would be DeseanJackson4MVP.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DJax just runs deep bc he does his team more service by running deep. He clears out the intermediate and short routes for his teammates. Its the Randy Moss effect.

Why does Moss rarely run a slant? Bc he does his team more good by going deep and letting his teammate run the slant.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:41 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I'm sorry but as much as I like Austin, its still not even close to me. DJax all the way.

DJax is by far the best in this division. Saying "take away his deep catches and he's nothing" is like saying the same thing about Randy Moss.

I bet if you were to poll DCs around the league, most of them would be more worried about DJax compared to Austin.

I know if I had my choice of any WR in our division, Id take DJax and not even think twice about it. Its a no brainer to me quite honestly.
Well if you want a one dimensional WR who is scared to make catches in the middle of the field and can't beat over the top safety coverage ... sure, DJax is a beast.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

FYI... if Desean Jackson wore a Cowboys uniform, somebody's forum name would be DeseanJackson4MVP.
Another Austin? Really?

Now that is a wopper b/c I can find a DJax every year in the draft. Small fast and run post patterns.

But a 6'3 220 lbs 4.4 WR who makes tough catches deep and short and can YAC.....

This kid just had a Andre Johnson type year missing 4 games and you guys are waxing poetically about a one dimensional WR.

Last edited by herniateddisc : 01-04-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:44 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
Like I mentioned before, DeSean would have had another 50+ yarder yesterday if McNabb wouldn't have overthrown him. Even though that is what the cowboys focused on preventing, they still almost gave one up. Hell that is what every team focuses on preventing, and he still tied the record for 50+ yard TDs in a season this year. That says a lot.
Well if TNew had not fallen to sleep with DJax's stutter stepping ...... lots of IFs in football.

Fact is the GMen fans are over rating DJax bc/ their coverage is sooooo bad and Jackson was getting wide open v them.

Jackson did squat to the Cowboys b/c 1) he can't outrun a safety 20 yards off the LOS and 2) He does not make tough catches in the middle or the fiedl with any consistency and 3) made all the more difficult b/c tiny WR are harder to find as they are sprinting thru the trash. I am sure McNabb can't even find him most of the time when he runs those short routes.

Last edited by herniateddisc : 01-04-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Another Austin? Really?

Now that is a wopper b/c I can find a DJax every year in the draft. Small fast and run post patterns.

But a 6'3 220 lbs 4.4 WR who makes tough catches deep and short and can YAC.....
Every year? Really? Then name me 5 Desean Jackson's currently in the NFL.

My 5 Austins...

Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Reggie Wayne
Brandon Marshall
Anquan Boldin

eh I could go on...
Vincent Jackson
Sidney Rice
Calvin Johnson
Marques Colston
Hakeem Nicks

...and on...
Chad Ochocinco
Dwayne Bowe

...is that enough? I love Austin, but what he provides (size/skill combination)is really not that uncommon.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM    (permalink
MilesAustin4MVP
Rookie

Quote:

Yeah because it is so easy to find a WR who can put up 1,320 yards after starting only 12 games. Great point! [/sarcasm]

I bet you think our last draft sucks also. Considering we got John Phillips, Victor Butler, Buehler, Mike Hamlin, and Jason Williams in that draft. Ha!

Last edited by MilesAustin4MVP : 01-04-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:51 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
Every year? Really? Then name me 5 Desean Jackson's currently in the NFL.

My 5 Austins...

Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
Reggie Wayne
Brandon Marshall
Anquan Boldin

eh I could go on...
Vincent Jackson
Sidney Rice
Calvin Johnson
Marques Colston
Hakeem Nicks

...and on...
Chad Ochocinco
Dwayne Bowe

...is that enough? I love Austin, but what he provides (size/skill combination)is really not that uncommon.
Bowe, Nicks, Colston, Boldin, Wayne, Rice -- not the same speed. Not even sure, Jackson, Fitz, Marshall are either. Chad is shot. Calvin and Andre J ...... similar.

Again, DJax is not a #1. I think your list proves that. He is a small scat WR who is suited as a decoy and occasional big pass downfield.

Last edited by herniateddisc : 01-04-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:57 PM    (permalink
MilesAustin4MVP
Rookie

Quote:
Bowe, Nicks, Colston, Boldin, Wayne, Rice -- not the same speed. Not even sure, Jackson, Fitz, Marshall are either. Chad is shot. Calvin and Andre J ...... similar.

Again, DJax is not a #1. I think your list proves that. He is a small scat WR who is suited as a decoy and occasional big pass downfield.
Jackson is like a rich man's version of Devery Henderson. Jacoby Ford is a similar type of player.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Quote:

http://www.nfl.com/players/deseanjac...e?id=JAC127681

Yep, those look like the stats of a #2 receiver all right.

BTW, this is only his 2nd year in the NFL. Most WRs take at least 3 years to reach their true potential. Now that's a scary thought.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:26 PM    (permalink
MilesAustin4MVP
Rookie

Quote:

BTW, this is only his 2nd year in the NFL. Most WRs take at least 3 years to reach their true potential. Now that's a scary thought.
Except Desean has reached his full potential. With his size the only thing he can be in the NFL is a deep threat, an excellent one at that, but Jackson is not going to get any better than he is now.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:

Well, I will go on board as saying this is the BEST year DJax will ever have.

I think the NFL will figure it out and take it away. They always do.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesAustin4MVP View Post
Yeah because it is so easy to find a WR who can put up 1,320 yards after starting only 12 games. Great point! [/sarcasm]

I bet you think our last draft sucks also. Considering we got John Phillips, Victor Butler, Buehler, Mike Hamlin, and Jason Williams in that draft. Ha!
Are your pants on fire? Control your emotions and raise the level of maturity in your posts.

If your counter is to put Austin's stats on the table, then you need to recognize that he is a recipient of those stats. He's a Wide out. He's a byproduct of those stats. Those stats can be attributed to play calling, QB play, OL play, heck.. the rest of the offense AND the defense too! Football is the ultimate team sport so if you're going to pin his numbers to prove how good he is, then that is not solid footing. He's a partial credit to those stats, but they are not completely his.

You're right about the draft though. I DO think it SUCKED. Outside of a kick off specialists, your bragging about backups, many of which haven't sniffed the field.