Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-01-2006, 08:46 PM    (permalink

Default PPV CALIBUR BOXING on Normal Showtime. Corrales vs Castillo

Diego "Chico" Corrales vs Jose Luis Castillo 3

Their 2nd fight was on PPV and Showtime paid big ass bux to keep it exclusively on their station.
A waaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bigger night for fight fans than Hopkins vs Tarver.

So who do you got???

Saturday night baby, a HUGE rubber match. I"m %100 sure that any of you who saw the first showdown between these to WILL NOT be missing the finale.

If you haven't seen the first fight between these two and you have showtime, go to showtime OnDemand and do yourself a favor and watch their first and second fights.

Their first fight has arguabley the greatest ending to a fight... OF ALL TIME . Don't take my word from it, ask any boxing analyst in the U.S.

It was so good that ESPN the mag actually did an article on it. ESPN the mag does about 2 boxing features over the course of an entire year... and one is almost always for the boring fat giants (heavyweights).

I'm so pumped for this fight, my Dad is having his friends over and so am I.

My dad says that Jose Luis Castillo is going to knock Diego Corrales out. I think Chico is going to KO Castillo.

This fight is almost a guranteed KO ladies and gentlemen, these two are two of the most powerful lightweights ever. BOTH have the power to end the fight with one solitary punch (as clearly illustrated in the first two fights).

The Hype:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...dan&id=2466566

http://www.thefightgame.tv/showtime_...ary_4_2006.htm

And check out the "preview for fight 3" in the boxing section of espn.com. It's a video.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:51 PM    (permalink

Boxing just isnt the sport it once was.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:54 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I got Castillo.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:03 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikings Fan
To the contrary, it's better than it ever was in the 90's. You're probably like 15 though, and have no idea what you're talking about. The weight classes Light weight - Super Middleweight are bulging with SuperStar calibur talent right now.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:05 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime21335
Quote:
To the contrary, it's better than it ever was in the 90's. You're probably like 15 though, and have no idea what you're talking about. The weight classes Light weight - Super Middleweight are bulging with SuperStar calibur talent right now.
w/o a hevyweight division boxing isnt as good as it was in the 90's
Old 06-01-2006, 09:12 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:
Thats not what i meant. What I meant was that its popularity in the US had plummeted in the pst couple of decades. Its not 1/2 as popular as it once was But you're probably 16 and have no clue as to what im talking about. It was once a keystone of our culture.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:31 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thats not what i meant. What I meant was that its popularity in the US had plummeted in the pst couple of decades. Its not 1/2 as popular as it once was But you're probably 16 and have no clue as to what im talking about. It was once a keystone of our culture.
Nope, 18, and it was a keystone of our culture in the 70's. It got semi-big again thanks to Tyson in the very early 90's.

You are correct though, popularity wise it is not as big as it used to be, but contrary to popular belief, that is NOT because the sport has declined, it is because it has been marketed poorly and ran by corrupt promotors like Don King.

Klitchko might fight on ABC in September/November. I'm not a big Klitchko fan but if he got his fight on ABC I would definitely become one. His comments were, " I don't care about the money, I want as many people as possible to see me fight" and THAT'S my kind of fighter.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:34 PM    (permalink

Quote:
You are correct though, popularity wise it is not as big as it used to be, but contrary to popular belief, that is NOT because the sport has declined, it is because it has been marketed poorly and ran by corrupt promotors like Don King

I never meant to say the sport declined. I misspoke, the sport itself is fine its popularity is down however. Which is a shame because its a good sport.

Hate him or hate him Don King has the best hair I have ever seen.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ahhhhh, another boxing thread. As for the main event, I like Castillo by knock out again. I think he is an all around better fighter and just hits harder, hopefully he comes in under the weight limit this time and does not tarnish his victory. Either way, he will move up to 140 after this fight, probably to fight Cotto (who is my fav btw).

Also, for the more serious boxing fans, the UC showcases a real good fighter in Vic Darchinyan(Sp?) who has sick punching power. I have only seen him fight a few times and am looking forward to what he will do in a big show.

Should be a great night of FREE boxing and I am pumped! And, if anyone has questions related to anything boxing, feel free to ask me as I always like recruiting new followers for my 2nd favorite sport.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:22 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTgiants
Quote:
Quote:
w/o a hevyweight division boxing isnt as good as it was in the 90's
as long as there are fights like "Corrales-Castillo I", then boxing is just fine

for the fight i have to go with DIEGO CORRALES
late KO or a surpriseing, yet bloody, decision. Just a feeling on that one, though it shouldnt happen
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It really is a shame that no one follows boxing now because a great fight is unlike any other event. I guess people only pay attention to heavywieghts, unless the name DLH is involved, which is a shame. The little guys put on so many great shows and are much more exciting to watch than any heavywieght, imo. Just watch Barrera-Morales I, II, or III and try and tell me heavywieghts are better. So what if they hit harder, they are worse boxers, their slower, and they throw like no punches. The little guys average close to 100 punches per round in many instances. And even if the power is sucha draw, little guys can punch too! Castillo, Cotto, Gatti, Pacqiauo, and many others are amazing punchers. Americas fascination with brute strength in boxing just doesnt make sense; the boxers today in lower weight classes are awesome and deserve more recognition.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

For those who picked Chico, do you really think he can punch with Castillo. Obviously, he won the 1st fight, but he kinda cheated in the process with the mouthpiece spitting. I have no doubt that Castillo would have stopped him if he didnt have the extra time. I mean, if you look at both fights, Castillo hurt Corrales a lot more than Corrales hurt Castillo. I think that Castillo is a clear favorite, I just wonder if Coralles is strong enough to slug it out. The 1st fight really wore Corrales down(even worse than Castillo) and in the 2nd, he was ran over by castillo. I think the Chico now is different than the pre-1st fight Chico. I dont think he can slug with JLC, and will have to box if he has any chance, I dont see him doing it, however.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

bump
Old 06-02-2006, 04:04 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Schubert
For those who picked Chico, do you really think he can punch with Castillo. Obviously, he won the 1st fight, but he kinda cheated in the process with the mouthpiece spitting. I have no doubt that Castillo would have stopped him if he didnt have the extra time. I mean, if you look at both fights, Castillo hurt Corrales a lot more than Corrales hurt Castillo. I think that Castillo is a clear favorite, I just wonder if Coralles is strong enough to slug it out. The 1st fight really wore Corrales down(even worse than Castillo) and in the 2nd, he was ran over by castillo. I think the Chico now is different than the pre-1st fight Chico. I dont think he can slug with JLC, and will have to box if he has any chance, I dont see him doing it, however.
Yea Rob, I think he can punch with Castillo, he had Castillo ROCKED at the end, i mean Castillo was the definition of "out on his feet" and he hurt him a couple times earlier in the fight. I remember him making Castillo buckle his legs in specific and the announcers were going on about how he almost made the man who has never been down go down.

My dad has your logic pretty much to a T though, and he thinks Castillo is going to KO him in the mid rounds.

Btw, Chico's trainer, mayweather sr., said that Castillo should expect a different kind of fight from Chico but during interviews Chico insists that he will brawl again to see who the better man is.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:09 PM    (permalink

Quote:
bump
Btw, where you been my man? You weren't here for the past 2 big semi-big fights. You talked up Augustus being enertaining and how people should watch him, then next week he's on Wed Night Fights and you're nowhere to be found.

Did you see the Juarez vs Barrera fight? Very good fight! I think you should know that I had Juarez ahead by 2 rounds on my scorecard at the end of the fight. I think my Dad had it even.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I was around, but on mostly boxing boards because I figured that no one on here would be interested. The Juarez-Barrera fight was awesome though and I had Barrera ahead by 1, Juarez just started to late (much like B-hop against Taylor). And how about Paul Williams on BAD, great looking prospect there, although the main event was a dissappointment. As for tonight, Shobox looks good as Chad Dawson is fighting, he is a real good prospect and if you can, you should get a look at him. I guess I will come around for all fights now as people seem to be interested.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

And, about Coralles. I think he is a worn down fighter. I think that 1st fight took a lot out of him, a lot more than Castillo. I think he has trouble hurting him badly this time around. And I really was left with a sour taste in my mout after the mouthpiece incident, which was pretty classless. I think JLC would be up 2-0 if it werent for that, but whatever. I just think JLC is to strong.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Well, Castillo missed weight again, tipping the scales at 140. This really puts a damper on the fight as it is no longer for the title. Castillo will never fight 135 ever again and will move up to jr. welter, likely to fight my boy cotto.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:03 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Well, Castillo missed weight again, tipping the scales at 140. This really puts a damper on the fight as it is no longer for the title. Castillo will never fight 135 ever again and will move up to jr. welter, likely to fight my boy cotto.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:45 PM    (permalink

Wow fight is off. Incredible. And I don't blame Corralles and his promoter for refusing to fight even in the smallest amount.

This summer was filled with amazing fights and out of them all, this one excited me the most. Wow.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:31 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

wow, this is really disappointing. You cant blame coralles because last time the same thing happened and it seemed that weight played a part in castillo's victiry. As I said earlier, JLC cant fight any longer at 135 and will have to move up to jr. welter.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:12 AM    (permalink

Quote:
wow, this is really disappointing. You cant blame coralles because last time the same thing happened and it seemed that weight played a part in castillo's victiry. As I said earlier, JLC cant fight any longer at 135 and will have to move up to jr. welter.

The worst part is he had a hard time making the Jr. Welter limit of 140. He is big enough and strong enough to go to straight welter, but typically jumping 2 weight classes in one fight is too much.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:47 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im so amd about castillo-corrales. wouldnt have been as good with these circumnstances, im more just mad castillo couldnt get down

some big fights coming up soon. been waiting for a while for taylor-wright, only 2 weeks form now

and is that heavyweight fight gonna be on tv tonight?? I want to check out that giant Valuev, see what he's like. i missed his Ruiz fight (thank god)
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Valuev is actually boring as hell, you arent missing much. That fight wont be televised anyway. Taylor Wright will likely be boring, but is a very important fight and 1 that I will certainly be watching. I predict Winky outpoints him.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:39 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Valuev is actually boring as hell, you arent missing much. That fight wont be televised anyway. Taylor Wright will likely be boring, but is a very important fight and 1 that I will certainly be watching. I predict Winky outpoints him.
I predict Taylor TKO's him late. I just feel like making a ballsy call.

Who do you think will win the Tarver Hopkins fight? I think Tarver is too unintelligent of a fighter to get Hopkins out of his gameplan and Hopkins will win easily in a long boring fight by decision.
Are you purchasing that fight by chance?

I hope Taylor vs Wright won't be boring and will somewhat make up for the loss of the biggest fight of the summer (at least for me) in Castillo vs Corrales.

Ah well, at least Gatti is still fighting Baldomir.