Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 12-19-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What laptop should I buy?

SWDC, I ask you, what laptop should I buy? I am starting an internship and need a laptop. I am pretty sure I want a PC because I am used to them and I have heard from most sources you get way more for your money. That said, if you think a Mac is worth it, let me know why.

Ideally I would want to spend around $600 to $800, but I could go higher if it was clearly worth it. The main things I want are good battery life, speed, a fairly large hard drive that wont burn out on me, and a decent sized screen with a nice display for watching movies. If you have any questions that would help you make a better recommendation, let me know.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Rob S : 12-19-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:42 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I work at Best Buy in the computer department... for just knowing what we have this one is my personal favorite. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B2+D uo+Processor+-+Black+Aluminum/9556143.p?id=1218124207441&skuId=9556143

Most people don't know about Asus but they are one of the best computer manufacturers out there today

The computer has :
Roughly an 8 hour battery life
4GB of Ram
500 GB Hard Drive
15.6" Screen

Its extremely portable because it weighs roughly 4 pounds and is roughly an inch thick.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As someone whose family has both a Mac and PC, let me tell you that a Mac is not worth it, especially if you don't know what the benefit to having one is. If you think it looks "cool" and want to mess around in Garage Band, you have to really consider if that's worth an extra $500-1000 compared to an equivalent PC. Macs might be more user-friendly if you're just starting out on computers, but if you are feeling pretty good about PC, there's no reason to switch, because you already know how to use one of them. As for PC, I'm not entirely sure which brand is the best. I have a Gateway laptop and it's not what I'd hoped it'd be when I got it, it overheats way too much. Most of the tech-savvy people I know use Dell laptops, so that would probably be a pretty good choice.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:54 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know when I was researching laptops, I had decided on Lenovo before I decided to build myself a desktop instead. They may not be the flashiest, but Ive heard they are next to indestructible and are very well put together computers. When I do end up upgrading my laptop, thats probably what Ill be getting. The ThinkPad and the IdeaPad are models to check out. Very affordable as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:29 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Well I work at Best Buy in the computer department... for just knowing what we have this one is my personal favorite. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B2+D uo+Processor+-+Black+Aluminum/9556143.p?id=1218124207441&skuId=9556143

Most people don't know about Asus but they are one of the best computer manufacturers out there today

The computer has :
Roughly an 8 hour battery life
4GB of Ram
500 GB Hard Drive
15.6" Screen

Its extremely portable because it weighs roughly 4 pounds and is roughly an inch thick.
very good specs for $680 but the processor speed is a weak 1.3 GHz. you should get a laptop with at least a 2.0 GHz processor. a lot of RAM doesn't really matter with a weak processor. like aps said, lenovos offer a lot of bang for your buck. HPs tend to be a bit overpriced. and Dells are decent and you should take a look at them.

if you can post more of what you're looking to do with the laptop and what size then i can recommend something for you.
thefalconer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:35 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i re-read the OP and see what you want and this looks really good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834117958
Old 12-19-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Get an Osborne 1.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
i re-read the OP and see what you want and this looks really good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834117958
That looks pretty good. I will do some more research, but that and a lenovo are def. in the running.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:22 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
very good specs for $680 but the processor speed is a weak 1.3 GHz. you should get a laptop with at least a 2.0 GHz processor. a lot of RAM doesn't really matter with a weak processor. like aps said, lenovos offer a lot of bang for your buck. HPs tend to be a bit overpriced. and Dells are decent and you should take a look at them.

if you can post more of what you're looking to do with the laptop and what size then i can recommend something for you.
Its a 1.3 because its a low voltage processor... hence the 8 hour battery life and not having the whole laptop way 10 pounds. 1.3 is going to be fine for every day use any gaming, video editing or anything resource exhausting isn't what that Laptop is designed for.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:29 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I dont know much about that brother cain, but i am researching the one you mentioned as well
Old 12-19-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im not any sort of a computer genius but after buying a mac, i'll never go back to pc. i recommend a mac
Old 12-19-2009, 07:40 PM    (permalink
MiWolves
Rookie

MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Get an Lenovo or Asus labtop, I have a Lenovo for like 2 years and it hasn't broken down yet. I use to have a dell labtop and I called for tech support and they said if I wanted to renew my warranty incase of my screen breaking and once my warranty was up guess what! my screen broke. Concidence? I think not.
MiWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:14 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Its a 1.3 because its a low voltage processor... hence the 8 hour battery life and not having the whole laptop way 10 pounds. 1.3 is going to be fine for every day use any gaming, video editing or anything resource exhausting isn't what that Laptop is designed for.
yeah, i realized he wanted a long battery life so your recommendation might suit his needs better. i just always instinctively look for the most power in laptops.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
yeah, i realized he wanted a long battery life so your recommendation might suit his needs better. i just always instinctively look for the most power in laptops.
Yeah......8 hours is insane. I think 4 is more than enough for my needs. Only time I wont have access to my charger would likely be class and classes are 3 hrs. at the longest
Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I am liking the vaio, falconer. One question, do you think it would have any problems with freezing up when running multiple apps at the same time, that would be important in the office.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:23 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dell XPS is the way to go, its definitely a little on the spendy side but its a good as they come.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:26 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Make sure to do some looking around on tigerdirect.com. They typically beat out not only computer stores on prices, but usually the other online stores too. Even if you don't get a machine off of there, they have a lot of user reviews on all of the items that they offer. Great place to do some research at the very least, I built my computer entirely off of there.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Dell XPS is the way to go, its definitely a little on the spendy side but its a good as they come.
I dont know technology, so I dont know this answer. Ignoring the aesthetics, what makes this for around 1000 bucks a better computer than the vaio falconer posted for around 700? It seems most of the specs are similar.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:35 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I dont know technology, so I dont know this answer. Ignoring the aesthetics, what makes this for around 1000 bucks a better computer than the vaio falconer posted for around 700? It seems most of the specs are similar.
So Im not sure what youre looking into or anything about these laptops (desktop guy) but I would absolutely not settle for anything below a Core 2 Duo processor wise. Its only a matter of time before quad core & (more down the line) i7 processors become more affordable in laptops. I certainly wouldnt spend more than 600 on a laptop that only had a single processor.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I love my Dell XPS, but then again mine is a little on the older side now so maybe things have changed with it.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:53 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DELL XPS got a 1920x1200 screen all you need
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My wife and I have a Toshiba laptop and it's been good so far. I recommend looking at them.

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I am liking the vaio, falconer. One question, do you think it would have any problems with freezing up when running multiple apps at the same time, that would be important in the office.
the 2.2 GHz should be plenty to run multiple programs at one time and not have the laptop freeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Peefs View Post
So Im not sure what youre looking into or anything about these laptops (desktop guy) but I would absolutely not settle for anything below a Core 2 Duo processor wise. Its only a matter of time before quad core & (more down the line) i7 processors become more affordable in laptops. I certainly wouldnt spend more than 600 on a laptop that only had a single processor.
the vaio is a Intel Core 2 Duo T6600, so you're good.

this laptop is 15.5", i bought a lenovo over the summer that is 15.6" and it is a good compromise between the portability and multimedia purposes. it's a widescreen so vids and movies should be comfortable to the eye.

one last thing.. i'm not completely sure about this but waiting til after christmas to make your purchase might lead to a better deal. you could bookmark the newegg page for the vaio and check back on it in a week and a half. but it's still a good laptop for $729.99. the vaio is the most aesthetically appealing pc and are usually the priciest brand but this looks good. and you get the sexy mac style keyboard.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:41 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i just got a new toshiba two weeks ago and am a big fan.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+...&skuId=9549054

only complaint is that it picks up fingerprints easily on the keys otherwise i love it. its fast as balls, sleek, very impressive so far.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:31 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson86 View Post
DELL XPS got a 1920x1200 screen all you need
Honestly Dells suck... They care nothing for the customers. They have the worst tech support in the business, they use gimmicky schemes like the different colors or patterns to get knowledgeable customers to buy them and they jack up the prices to support their bloated marketing department.

Working in the Computer department (and owning one before) i hear more complaints about dell than any other brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
i just got a new toshiba two weeks ago and am a big fan.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+...&skuId=9549054

only complaint is that it picks up fingerprints easily on the keys otherwise i love it. its fast as balls, sleek, very impressive so far.
Toshiba's are very solid laptops. They have one of the lowest failure rates.

The machine above is a great laptop, good battery life, 2.2 Ghz processor, 4gb ram, 500gb hard drive and the best speakers in a laptop ive ever heard