Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 12-31-2009, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Exclamation < 2010 Lions Roster/Free Agency Discussion Thread >

Here's an interesting article to get the discussion going:

http://detnews.com/article/20091231/...t-job-security

Anyone disagree with any of these?

Does anyone have a link to player salaries we've committed to for next season?
Old 12-31-2009, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's a projection of what starting positions we currently have filled for next year:

QB - Matthew Stafford
RB -
FB -
WR1 - Calvin Johnson
WR2 - Bryant Johnson (only cause he's signed for 2 more years)
TE - Brandon Pettigrew
LT - Jeff Backus
LG -
C - Dominic Raiola
RG - Stephen Peterman (longterm contract, decent when healthy)
RT - Gosder Cherilus (too early to give up)

DE -
DT - Sammie Lee Hill
DT -
DE - Cliff Avril (might not start, but he'll contribute nonetheless)
OLB - Julian Peterson (could be cut to save over 7 million, but I bet we keep him)
MLB - Larry Foote (supposedly wants to return, so why not?)
OLB - DeAndre Levy / Ernie Sims (won't hurt to maintain our strength at LB)
CB - William James (finding 2 starting corners seems unlikely)
CB -
S - Louis Delmas
S -

Hanson and Harris will probably come back.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:07 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

I think Turk McBride could solidify a defensive end position.

I would like to trade Cliff Avril to a 3-4 team like Kansas City.

Hanson needs to consider retirement.
StorminNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
I think Turk McBride could solidify a defensive end position.

I would like to trade Cliff Avril to a 3-4 team like Kansas City.

Hanson needs to consider retirement.
McBride won't start, so we still need to find a starting end. Dewayne White is gonna get cut. No sacks this year? WTF?

Avril won't be traded. Guys don't get traded in the NFL. He's either cut or a rotational guy.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009123...053/1048/rss03

Quote:
According to a list obtained by the Associated Press today, there are 212 players who would be considered restricted free agents ó instead of unrestricted ó if there is no salary cap in 2010. There is at least one player from each of the NFLís 32 teams on the list.

The seven Detroit Lions who would be affected are: safety Daniel Bullocks, center Dylan Gandy, defensive end Jason Hunter, wide receiver Adam Jennings, guard Daniel Loper, safety Ko Simpson and linebacker Cody Spencer.
Lets use this thread to talk about free agency and trades. Probably the only guy I'd like to see brought back out of those is Jason Hunter.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Yeah, the Lions seem to have several good backup DE's, but we need a true difference-maker at the position. Jared DeVries comes back too.

Maybe Brandon Graham at the top of the 2nd round?
Old 01-01-2010, 12:04 AM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.StorminNorman is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
McBride won't start, so we still need to find a starting end. Dewayne White is gonna get cut. No sacks this year? WTF?

Avril won't be traded. Guys don't get traded in the NFL. He's either cut or a rotational guy.
Yes, guy's don't get traded in the NFL, ever. He could certianly be a rotational guy (he won't be cut), but I think a team like the Chiefs (who have a desperate need for LB's and pass rushers) could see Avril as a player that would really benefit from taking his hand off the ground.

Quote:
Yeah, the Lions seem to have several good backup DE's, but we need a true difference-maker at the position. Jared DeVries comes back too.

Maybe Brandon Graham at the top of the 2nd round?
I would rather look at players like Carlos Dunlap and Everson Griffin.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:51 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://thenetrat.com/salarycap.html if you download the 2009 latest one, it also has full contracts all the way through 2014.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

confirmed 2010 contracts without assuming cuts
i'm half basing this off thenetrat which is a little old. any help would be great. i used rotoworld to hunt down most of the current lions' contract status but i may have missed something from the old contracts.

qb: stafford/stanton
rb: smith/morris/brown
fb: felton
wr: calvin/bryant/northcutt/williams/fowler
te: pettigrew
ot: backus/cherilus
og: peterman
c: raiola

de: white/avril/mcbride/devries
dt: jackson/hill/cohen/fluellen
lb: peterson/levy/sims/dizon/follett
cb: buchanan/james/king/hobbs/witherspoon/jack williams
s: delmas/pearson/deangelo smith

k: hanson
p: harris
ls: mulbach

restricted undisclosed contract likely pup
i don't know about s marvin white
who the f is jack williams?
looks like almost all of our oline depth leaves as a free agent.
this elevates okung even more for me since cherilus can't go 4 games without being benched this year.
also we have added terrance taylor to our practice squad

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 01-01-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: okung
Old 01-01-2010, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminNorman View Post
Yes, guy's don't get traded in the NFL, ever. He could certianly be a rotational guy (he won't be cut), but I think a team like the Chiefs (who have a desperate need for LB's and pass rushers) could see Avril as a player that would really benefit from taking his hand off the ground.

I would rather look at players like Carlos Dunlap and Everson Griffin.
Right, but how much is Avril worth in a trade? He was a third round pick, surely he isn't going to net us more or even close to the value we invested in him.

His highest value to the Lions is in the role he's in now, staying in Detroit.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:41 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Of the "Likely Gone's" the only disagreement I have is with J. Peterson. I would retain him too Xio.

Of the "On The Hot Seat's" I would retain A. Brown, J. Hunter, K. Smith, D. Williams & W. James.

This caters perfectly to what I envision the 2010 draft looking like for Detroit: DT, DE, G, DB, RB.

Filling in the blanks: Suh (DT), Graham (DE), Asamoah (G), K. Chancellor (S), A. Dixon (RB) would fill these holes wonderfully!!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

with the state of our dline, linebackers, and blitz heavy scheme this would be the offseason to switch to a 3-4. not that it will happen though...

i didn't mind hunter and mcbride this year. i forgot to add devries to the depth chart, but he isn't adding a whole lot to that equation.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-01-2010, 10:50 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
http://www.freep.com/article/2009123...053/1048/rss03

Lets use this thread to talk about free agency and trades. Probably the only guy I'd like to see brought back out of those is Jason Hunter.
What we all have to remember is that there will be very few URFA's. There will be a few veteran defenders but almost nothing on the offensive side of the ball. Each restricted FA you sign is going to cost you at least a 1st rounder so I cannot see us using that method.
The only improvements on the team in an uncapped year will come from the draft not FA.
It pretty well means most teams will be stuck with their current rosters plus rookies.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:30 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
Filling in the blanks: Suh (DT), Graham (DE), Asamoah (G), K. Chancellor (S), A. Dixon (RB) would fill these holes wonderfully!!
That would be a really good draft if that happened for the Lions.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:55 PM    (permalink
StorminNorman
Rookie

Quote:
Right, but how much is Avril worth in a trade? He was a third round pick, surely he isn't going to net us more or even close to the value we invested in him.

His highest value to the Lions is in the role he's in now, staying in Detroit.
Well he is one of the top performing pass rushers from the 2008 draft class with 10 sacks in two years (more of a commentary on that draft class than anything else). Package him with a fourth or third round pick - perhaps that's enough to take in out-of-place Glenn Dorsey.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm glad we have Eric King under contract for next. I liked what what I saw from before he got injured. Terrance Taylor on the practice squad??? Interesting
Old 01-01-2010, 05:08 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definitely keep K Smith. His year was affected in large part by the terrible play of the o-line. Iupati/Ducasse/Asamoah/Williams...any one of those three would be a big help at guard.

Although there won't be many UFA's this year, I think that we'll see quite a cuts involving bigger names that we might have a chance to grab. Dunta Robinson is one guy that I would like to see in Detroit next season.

As for Peterson, I'm on the fence. If a salary cap is agreed to, I say cut him as his production isn't worth $7.5 mil a year. If no cap, keep him around for another season.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 06:13 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what are people's opinion on cherilous playing OG? would he be able to handle the move?

also im very curious on whether dorsey is still an option in a trade.

if we could trade sims and a 3rd or 4th for dorsey i would do it in a heartbeat
Old 01-02-2010, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
what are people's opinion on cherilous playing OG? would he be able to handle the move?

also im very curious on whether dorsey is still an option in a trade.

if we could trade sims and a 3rd or 4th for dorsey i would do it in a heartbeat
6'7 is pretty tall for an OG but if it would be possible I think I'd like him to do it.

Because I think this would be the best way to solve the Oline

New LT - Goz - Raiola - Peterman - Backus

But I don't know if Gosder moving to LG is a realistic scenario
Old 01-03-2010, 05:42 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

ideally i'd prefer if we somehow ended up with a new LT and guard with cherilus the long term right tackle and swingman for depth. probably too much to ask for though in one year.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-03-2010, 02:34 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like the best place to post this as I'm too lazy to start a gameday thread...

Levy has 8 first half tackles and has looked great in the middle. This pleases me.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I can't wait for Schwartz to cut all the scrubs on this team, Anthony Henry goes first.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

luckily henry is walking away no matter what. this was his last year of his deal. byrant johnson is tied with heyward-bey as the worst wr in the league according to profootballfocus stats. roy williams has a higher catch percentage.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-03-2010, 05:10 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

does anyone know what cap room we'll have this offseason?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

infinite. no new collective bargaining agreement. young free agents will be harder to come by though so unless we trade we're pretty much going to be stuck with our roster, current free agents, and draft. sounds like they are building a new agreement though and hopefully they'll have that rookie salary cap in there. it would help us out more than most teams.

Prowler's Newb Guide